CONFIRMED Duffy joins Stoke City on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Torrix1889

A reight Bobby Dazzler
Reaction score
No source for this, just whispers but his omission from the squad on Saturday has created a bit of conjecture about his future....there was a suggestion it was due to a bereavement, however his Dad has apparently said that's not the case....

As much as I like Duffy you can't help but think his opportunities will be very limited following the signings of Freeman, Ravel & Robinson.... should a chance in the Championship arise for him to play regularly he's surely going to consider it.

He'll get plenty of time on the pitch for us and will at least be a useful impact sub.

After working his way up to the PL like he has from where he's come from he'd be mad to leave.

He's going nowhere.

Mentioned this weeks ago.

Sadly, MD appears to be on the slide. It happens.

Shame as he has been a major influence in what we have achieved under Wilder. But time waits for no man.

UTB

I don’t think he will go this window as we don’t know how the new signings are going to go.

However if a couple out Freeman / Robinson / Morrison are a success then opportunities will be limited and I can see him going out on loan in January

This is an odd one.

Wilder is ruthless to be fair.

If we are still looking for a striker then that gives us 5.

Include Freeman and you're looking at 7 for the front 3, possibly 8 if Morrison is included.

I like Duffy and we'll always have bouncing day, and he is a clever player. He did put in quite a few 6/10 performances last season when you look back.

Maybe Wilder is considering moving him on?

He'll get plenty of time on the pitch for us and will at least be a useful impact sub.

After working his way up to the PL like he has from where he's come from he'd be mad to leave.

He's going nowhere.
there's every chance he might not even make the bench now though ?

No chance him leaving this window in my view. He clearly has a role in the 25, and we’re not going to dump someone that our system’s been partially built round, not just yet.

I did think his absence on Saturday would prompt the inevitable “Duffy’s off” rumour. Surprised it’s taken till Monday tbh.

Not a chance he is leaving us this season.

When Duffy played well, we played well. Last season he once again proved he is invaluable to us. He deserves a chance at the premier league. While he won't last forever he has earned the opportunity to show he can do it at the highest level. A superb player who I think is underrated even by Blades fans.

I can see him fading away in the second half of the season, but to begin with we need to keep him around. He is still the only player who is proven to be able to play the AM role in our system, and he has plenty to teach other players.

He at least starts the season in our squad, without doubt. He could be crucial in getting us off to a good start.

Said on another thread - he’s appeared to be out in the cold a couple of times already in his blades career but always forced his way back into the side. (Woodburn and dowell tried and failed to replace him last season)

The system is built around him so imo hed be mad not to stick around until at least January and see what the landscape looks like Then and assess his options if he wants so first team football.

I think he is to important to lose atm unless it’s a personal thing and Wilder let’s him as a favour which I doubt

Morrison and Freeman may be better options over the season, only time will tell, but Duffy just clicks in that system even if he might not be as talented as others, not my IMO btw, but even if we have better options no guarantee they click same way

there's every chance he might not even make the bench now though ?

On occasion perhaps, but he will play his part over the season.

He has been integral to our system since Wilder came in. Other players have tried to occupy his position over the last few years and none have consistently kept him out. Neither Carruthers nor Holmes [unsurprisingly] could but neither could Dowell [who Wilder explicitly said had been sat down and made to watch how Duffy played] or even Didsy. He is still the best no10 we have and our most technically gifted player. We won't let that quality walk out of the door just yet and I highly doubt that Mark would want to walk away from his chance to play in the PL, for a league 1 club who's manager binned him off previously.

I still hope he finishes his career with us and stays on as a coach. I honestly couldn't think of a better player to guide the young lads coming through.

Hope he doesn't leave - i reckon his experience could be invaluable to the likes of Freeman, Robinson who will more than likely be playing in the attacking midfielder role.

On occasion perhaps, but he will play his part over the season.

He has been integral to our system since Wilder came in. Other players have tried to occupy his position over the last few years and none have consistently kept him out. Neither Carruthers nor Holmes [unsurprisingly] could but neither could Dowell [who Wilder explicitly said had been sat down and made to watch how Duffy played] or even Didsy. He is still the best no10 we have and our most technically gifted player. We won't let that quality walk out of the door just yet and I highly doubt that Mark would want to walk away from his chance to play in the PL, for a league 1 club who's manager binned him off previously.

I still hope he finishes his career with us and stays on as a coach. I honestly couldn't think of a better player to guide the young lads coming through.
Agree with all that but presuming Freeman starts ahead of him, with a keeper, Jags (and maybe one other defensive cover), 2/3 strikers, Morrison, he'll be battling with 4 or 5 others to even get a place on the bench.

Mentioned this weeks ago.

Sadly, MD appears to be on the slide. It happens.

Shame as he has been a major influence in what we have achieved under Wilder. But time waits for no man.

UTB

What makes you say this? Looking ahead, I can definitely see it happening. Perhaps even later this season. But as far as I'm concerned he was playing pretty good football last season. So when did the slide start?

The way we've loaded the attacking midfield area may not look good to him, but that we've done that is testament to how important his role is and how difficult it is to replace him. Wilder has tried to absolutely minimise the risk of not having adequate options in that area. It's something we had to do and as far as I'm concerned he's got it spot on. But it doesn't have to mean the end of Duffy.

Need to keep him if only for impact sub role or to keep Morrison on his toes. Wouldn't want young Ravel thinking his place was guaranteed and going into bigshot mode.

What makes you say this? Looking ahead, I can definitely see it happening. Perhaps even later this season. But as far as I'm concerned he was playing pretty good football last season. So when did the slide start?

Agree.....I’ve not seen any slide .....it’s his defensive duties and tackling that is weak but it’s always been weak.
When we play the likes of Bury and Rochdale, his weaknesses don’t matter because we’ll always have the ball
But I suppose the higher we go then the more of a liability MD becomes when we’re out of possession.

Also Duffy strength was unlocking the door when playing defensive teams.
However I suppose in the PL not many teams are going to sit back and defend in numbers.

Wilder probably sees break away attacks with speed as out main weapon but Duffy doesnt have much pace.

I know there's no room for sentiment in football, but there's no way he shouldn't get a chance with some minutes on the pitch having been integral to our rise in the last 3 seasons. The pace shouldn't be quite as frenetic too so he may flourish.

No idea how his role will pan out as the season goes on but I'd be genuinely surprised if he left at this stage.

Not sure what his contract circumstances are but I suppose at 34 if someone offers him 3 years on decent money for instance, plus if he's been led to think he might get very limited game time, then who knows.

Imagine being 1-1 at home to Palace, Burnley, Brighton, Southampton, etc after 70 minutes.

When he comes off the bench he can play at maximum intensity for 20-30 minutes, and against tiring opponents, negating age based physical disadvantages. Add that to the amount of times he naturally gets on the ball with his ability and you have a brilliant impact sub...... and a 2-1 win.

Agree with all that but presuming Freeman starts ahead of him, with a keeper, Jags (and maybe one other defensive cover), 2/3 strikers, Morrison, he'll be battling with 4 or 5 others to even get a place on the bench.

He may well be, but in a 25 man squad that will apply to a lot of PL players this season. Freeman is quality, but he is that much better than Duffy that he keeps him out of the side? In some ways he may be a better player, but less so in other ways I would argue.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Freeman, Duffy or McG started against Bournemouth in the 10 role, equally we could start 2 of them in attacking mid roles or even all 3 of them could start with Freeman in for Fleck, Duffy as a 10 and McG up front. It's nice to have 3 such technically gifted players and so many options.

Back
Top Bottom