Gone Elsewhere Dowell back Permanently?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Seen great clips of him scoring outside the box, and looked quality - however didnt see any of that at the lane... very lightweight , there has to be better for 4 mil , but if Chris has seen enough in him , fine by me

I agree that he's better than Woodburn but I think you're being a bit optimistic.

The fact is that he scored 2 goals for us, anything beyond this is just speculation.

Anyway, I'll leave the decisions to Chris, he's better at it than me.

You sign young players on potential you dont sign them on what theyve done otehrwise every team would be full of 40 year olds

Seen great clips of him scoring outside the box, and looked quality - however didnt see any of that at the lane... very lightweight , there has to be better for 4 mil , but if Chris has seen enough in him , fine by me

He played left back more than he played no10

You sign young players on potential you dont sign them on what theyve done otehrwise every team would be full of 40 year olds
Young players already at a Premier League team are already being well paid for their potential.

If he's not good enough for Everton, then he shouldn't be good enough for us.

We have to aim to match the competition, not train their youngsters, or take their cast off's.

I don't think that he has the potential that you seem to do.

Only time will tell which of us is right.

I like Dowell and I think he has something to offer, whether that be off the bench as opposed to starting, but I feel his valuation will come down to him being English. For some reason Premiership clubs over value young English players as if they're the best in the world, whilst few sides in Europe seem interested, or are priced out, and most top flight clubs aren't willing to give them the chance.

I fear he would cost us £4-5mil and I personally think that's too much, even though it's pocket change by Premiership standards. Egan cost us £3.5mil and I like Dowell, but Dowell is not a better player than Egan and I don't feel that we should pay more for him than we did for Egan.

Either that or Egan really was an absolute steal and the best piece of business we've ever done in the transfer market.

If I was Dowell I'd be doing press ups all summer.

He needs building up. It sounds like a job for Charles Atlas.

manufacture_men1.jpg

If he's not good enough for Everton, then he shouldn't be good enough for us.

Everton have Sigurdsson, Lookman, Walcott, etc ahead of Dowell in line for the attacking midfield spot. We have Mark Duffy. Let’s be realistic about the level we’re at.

It’s going to take time, luck, and patience to build a decent PL squad and it will likely involve some gambles on young players like Dowell: guys who look unlikely to force their way into a top half PL team but have the potential to improve with game time and CWAK magic.

Everton have Sigurdsson, Lookman, Walcott, etc ahead of Dowell in line for the attacking midfield spot. We have Mark Duffy. Let’s be realistic about the level we’re at.

It’s going to take time, luck, and patience to build a decent PL squad and it will likely involve some gambles on young players like Dowell: guys who look unlikely to force their way into a top half PL team but have the potential to improve with game time and CWAK magic.
Dowell is already on a Premier League contract and will no doubt want a pay rise to come to us.

He couldn't force his way into our starting line up on a regular basis in the Championship so I find it hard to see why he would suddenly do it in the Premier league.

We would be better off doing what Bournemouth did to us with Brooks and scouring the lower leagues for young up and coming players.

Much better value better for money and just as much potential, as Brooks has shown.

I'm sure that our scouting team are already working on it.

Edit: And we may not have time. Next season is all about next season and stopping up.

We can't afford longer term prospects on Premier League wages.

Dowell is already on a Premier League contract and will no doubt want a pay rise to come to us.

He couldn't force his way into our starting line up on a regular basis in the Championship so I find it hard to see why he would suddenly do it in the Premier league.

We would be better off doing what Bournemouth did to us with Brooks and scouring the lower leagues for young up and coming players.

Much better value better for money and just as much potential, as Brooks has shown.

Edit: And we may not have time. Next season is all about next season and stopping up.

Brooks was a Premier League reject when we signed him, don’t forget—just like Dowell would be. A kid who didn’t make it when he got his first chance but has fought his way back up there with good coaching and some faith. He proves my point exactly.

I don’t know the financials of a possible Dowell transfer and neither do you. If it would break the bank then it’s a no, obviously. I doubt it would.

But is it more of a gamble than scouring the lower leagues for guys who might possibly make the step up?

Personally I don’t think we should throw the kitchen sink at trying to stop up this season. I think we need to have a long term view that we keep Wilder no matter what and try to build a PL squad over the next three seasons—with parachute payment money if necessary. Dowell fits into that vision of evolution not revolution.

Brooks was a Premier League reject when we signed him, don’t forget—just like Dowell would be. A kid who didn’t make it when he got his first chance but has fought his way back up there with good coaching and some faith. He proves my point exactly.

I don’t know the financials of a possible Dowell transfer and neither do you. If it would break the bank then it’s a no, obviously. I doubt it would.

But is it more of a gamble than scouring the lower leagues for guys who might possibly make the step up?

Personally I don’t think we should throw the kitchen sink at trying to stop up this season. I think we need to have a long term view that we keep Wilder no matter what and try to build a PL squad over the next three seasons—with parachute payment money if necessary. Dowell fits into that vision of evolution not revolution.
And I think Dowell is over rated by some.

Only time will tell, whoever is paying him next season.

Next season is not allvabout next season
If we put all our eggs in one basket and go backvdown we could face another decade trying to get back

I think the way we are going about things is perfect ,sign young hungry players with a point to prove ,keep the manager and if the worse happens we go down stronger than when we came up

Tend to agree with your sentiment but we need every penny for players ready to hit the ground running not spending 25% of our reported estimated budget on a possible.

I will have missed the part where our budget is mentioned. But if £4m is 25% of our reported budget then we'll do very little next season. And before I read your post I had us down for 14th minimum.

£16m ffs.

I will have missed the part where our budget is mentioned. But if £4m is 25% of our reported budget then we'll do very little next season. And before I read your post I had us down for 14th minimum.

£16m ffs.
Should have been 20% assuming the estimated/rumoured £20m budget widely discussed. Could be £40m for all I know?

Next season is not allvabout next season
If we put all our eggs in one basket and go backvdown we could face another decade trying to get back

I think the way we are going about things is perfect ,sign young hungry players with a point to prove ,keep the manager and if the worse happens we go down stronger than when we came up
In what way is that not all about next season?

As it happens I agree with everything else you say

In what way is that not all about next season?

As it happens I agree with everything else you say
I mean we shouldn't look at staying up.as the be all and end all and throw crazy money at mercenarys or sack the manager if we are bottom at Xmas
Worst case scenario we end up back in the championship with a few quid in.the bank and this manager

And I think Dowell is over rated by some.

Only time will tell, whoever is paying him next season.

He’s a youngster who isn’t in the Everton team because he is behind established international players, particularly Gylfi Sigurdson in his case. He has enormous potential, recognised throughout the game, which at the moment looks like it will probably be realised in a team trying to become established in the PL rather than an Everton with a rich owner and realistic designs on the top 6.

At £4m he would be a great signing. In the market we are in, hard to beat. Can’t believe we would get him for that. Sorry you don’t rate him, plenty of chance you will be proved wrong. But we’ll see.

There's a player in there, but the thing that disappointed me with Dowell is that he seemed too nice and too quiet to take games by the scruff of the neck. He needs to be looking to dictate games, like a Maddison, Mount or Wilson. He just doesn't do that.

If he were to be the long-term replacement for Duff, he'd need to learn that, as one thing Duff doesn't do, is shy away. He'd also need to model his link up play and movement a lot on Duffy.

There's a player in there, but the thing that disappointed me with Dowell is that he seemed too nice and too quiet to take games by the scruff of the neck. He needs to be looking to dictate games, like a Maddison, Mount or Wilson. He just doesn't do that.

Is this not what was levelled at David Brooks? He's not doing too bad is he?

Dowell can't be all that bad to be included in the England under 21 squad. He's got time on his side to develop.
We can't play all our 25 man squad every week.

I see no issue with spending £4m to secure Dowell, but I doubt that would be the price, you see.

Is this not what was levelled at David Brooks? He's not doing too bad is he?

Dowell can't be all that bad to be included in the England under 21 squad. He's got time on his side to develop.
We can't play all our 25 man squad every week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the Dowell signing for the right price, I just want him to improve in the respect of dictating games, because I think he could.

I'd prefer Freeman right now, as someone who's ready.

Dowell is in the current England u21 squad. No chance Everton would sell him for 4m. He is a good player and will only get better, can't see us buying him for less than 8m in today's market

Dowell is in the current England u21 squad. No chance Everton would sell him for 4m. He is a good player and will only get better, can't see us buying him for less than 8m in today's market

This thread got sidetracked to one about Patrick Roberts for about a page; who is supposedly available for £4m - this is why that fee keeps cropping up. I haven't seen any reports of Dowell being available for a target fee.

This thread got sidetracked to one about Patrick Roberts for about a page; who is supposedly available for £4m - this is why that fee keeps cropping up. I haven't seen any reports of Dowell being available for a target fee.
Thanks for clarifying

Back
Top Bottom