Statistics Don't worry Gareth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Well when in reserve you have the mercurial Dier and 'top prospect' Rice then we're are impoverished

But i agree this thread is irrelevant to Blades chat

Put it in Other Football until JOC gets his call up.

They said the foreign players would bring the standard of English players up by having the likes of bergkamp and zola in the premier league..

I was not convinced a few years ago (2000) however that seems to be the case as a bunch of “ordinary” players including Kyle walker and Harry Maguire took us to another semi final of the World Cup..

Next time we will win it..

We was ok with the last 8, remember?
And that statement was ballocks foreign players have not improved the home grown players because that home grown talent are simply not getting enough game time. Kyle Walker and Harry Maguire were never ordinary they were the best our academy has produced. Not a chance of us winning a world cup anytime soon we have some talent but no strength in depth just yet. Southgate is doing right by giving the young players games binning Rooney was the best thing ever but it showed in the last tournament they lacked the big game experience that only playing at the top level for their clubs will give them. The same thing happened in Italy when Serie A was awash with foreign players the Italy team soon went to shit.

of course their are world class foreign players not complain about them Hazard, van dijk D Silva De Byurne Aguero until we stop thinking that all players & managers from abroad are better than what we have because they have a fancy name. trusting our own youth Kane & Rashford are 2 big england players who only got a chance because the clubs injury crisis left them so desperate. look at the successful u17 u19 u20 & u21 teams how many are playing or get a chance regularly in top flight. i know 2 of the u20s got loaned out might heard of them dean henderson & keiran dowell.

the talent is there, shame the germans had to prove it instead of us

Comment 9 on the BBC website, Norwich fan suggesting they play English players, 44 Likes no dislikes...until 8lade turned up. I mean c'mon knobhead having 2 English regular starters is no different from any other Prem team. Knobhead.

I have not the slightest interest in the English National team, but I will say this: They were rubbish last time, despite the most favourable draw any team has ever had. They’ll be rubbish next time and haven’t an iota of a chance of winning it. There’s a large bet available for any Little Englander who wants to differ.

This really ought to be in ‘England Wank and Other Nonsense’. Move it, please.

Miserable sod if you didnt enjoy last summer

That’s fine, of course, but it really isn’t ‘coming home’ and never was, despite the nationwide fervour for mediocrity last time. Lost three games out of six. Lost every time they faced a bit of quality.

Exactly so .

The over exaggeration of England's achievements in the last World Cup , both by the media and most of the general public , was quite ridiculous . As you rightly point out , we only played against two teams of any merit ( one of them twice ) and lost all three matches .

Having said that , I feel there has been a noticeable improvement in performances since then , largely due to the fact that the manager has realised that they're no good at playing three at the back ( only very special teams can do that ! ) and , unlike many managers before him , he is now playing in a style which suits many of our players , some of whom are very talented .

If he can find a suitable upgrade for Deli Ali who is clearly suffering from a bad case of ' Jack Wilshere Syndrome ' I have a sneaking feeling we could be a force to be reckoned with over the next few years .

Exactly so .

The over exaggeration of England's achievements in the last World Cup , both by the media and most of the general public , was quite ridiculous . As you rightly point out , we only played against two teams of any merit ( one of them twice ) and lost all three matches .

Having said that , I feel there has been a noticeable improvement in performances since then , largely due to the fact that the manager has realised that they're no good at playing three at the back ( only very special teams can do that ! ) and , unlike many managers before him , he is now playing in a style which suits many of our players , some of whom are very talented .

If he can find a suitable upgrade for Deli Ali who is clearly suffering from a bad case of ' Jack Wilshere Syndrome ' I have a sneaking feeling we could be a force to be reckoned with over the next few years .

Couldn't agree more, the World Cup was great fun but it couldn't really have gone better in terms of opponents, but that can only last so long and it soon became clear we were more chaff than wheat.

England have been far more impressive in the Nations League as you say.

Southgate has done well because he's not just picking the players that should be playing for England (regardless of form) like his predecessors in the recent past, I think Dele Alli is the last hangover from that style of team selection, he's not been in form for 2 seasons now really, and in the world cup, we looked better when he was injured, with Loftus-Cheek in there, but we put Dele back in as soon as he was fit and lacked drive.

Unfortunately Loftus-Cheek is injured but I reckon Oxlaide-Chamberlain could do a job for England there.

Jordan Henderson winds me up, doesn't seem to do anything in a game, then comes away with a 9/10.

If you think Jordan Henderson isn’t a quality player your watching the wrong game did you watch the Barca match

Why do people think he’s shiteee proper all round midfielder

Couldn't agree more, the World Cup was great fun but it couldn't really have gone better in terms of opponents, but that can only last so long and it soon became clear we were more chaff than wheat.

England have been far more impressive in the Nations League as you say.

Southgate has done well because he's not just picking the players that should be playing for England (regardless of form) like his predecessors in the recent past, I think Dele Alli is the last hangover from that style of team selection, he's not been in form for 2 seasons now really, and in the world cup, we looked better when he was injured, with Loftus-Cheek in there, but we put Dele back in as soon as he was fit and lacked drive.

Unfortunately Loftus-Cheek is injured but I reckon Oxlaide-Chamberlain could do a job for England there.

Agreed alli has been bad for a while been injured too much even tho he looked top quality in that Ajax comeback

Spurs field a fair few Englishmen, to be fair and there's some exciting youngsters coming through, blend them with the Blades and Bournemouth and hey presto, there's your squad!

If you think Jordan Henderson isn’t a quality player your watching the wrong game did you watch the Barca match

Yes, I've also seen many other matches.

He's got a fantastic engine I'll give him that. But looks for the easy pass always, most of the time, it's 2 yards away or to his centre halves. I want more than that for an England International personally.

Thankfully looks like Declan Rice could be that person.

Foreign owners prefer foreign managers, and foreign managers prefer foreign players, just what's going to happen to us if H.R.H takes over, or the club is sold to an overseas owner .....:(

Yes, I've also seen many other matches.

He's got a fantastic engine I'll give him that. But looks for the easy pass always, most of the time, it's 2 yards away or to his centre halves. I want more than that for an England International personally.

Thankfully looks like Declan Rice could be that person.

No he doesn’t it’s just a perception the media has built up , he’s one of Liverpool’s main midfielders and has just helped them get 97 points and to a champions league final and last summer helped England to a semi in the World Cup
He can’t be that bad

No he doesn’t it’s just a perception the media has built up , he’s one of Liverpool’s main midfielders and has just helped them get 97 points and to a champions league final and last summer helped England to a semi in the World Cup
He can’t be that bad

Saying it's the media perception is insulting to my own opinion to be fair. I don't rate him and never have. Fabinho, Keita and Wijnaldum are all better than him.

Henderson isn’t shite but for me he could be an alround midfielder if he tried more things on the pitch and he’d be a lot better, he’s had one or two games where he looks quality and drives Liverpool forward but then he’s had too many games where he passes the book on to other players.

Let’s not pretend or paint a picture of him as been Liverpool’s main man, that accolade can go to either one of Van Dijk, Mane, Salah, Robertson, Trent AA and Firmino before you get anywhere near Henderson.

As I say though, he does look so much better when he does things out of his comfort zone but perhaps Klopp likes him to stay in that comfort zone?

Saying it's the media perception is insulting to my own opinion to be fair. I don't rate him and never have. Fabinho, Keita and Wijnaldum are all better than him.

There is a stereotype that he can’t pass and just runs about though

If he was called hendersoninho people would think he was a lot better

Henderson isn’t shite but for me he could be an alround midfielder if he tried more things on the pitch and he’d be a lot better, he’s had one or two games where he looks quality and drives Liverpool forward but then he’s had too many games where he passes the book on to other players.

Let’s not pretend or paint a picture of him as been Liverpool’s main man, that accolade can go to either one of Van Dijk, Mane, Salah, Robertson, Trent AA and Firmino before you get anywhere near Henderson.

As I say though, he does look so much better when he does things out of his comfort zone but perhaps Klopp likes him to stay in that comfort zone?

That’s his role tho as a ball winner and controlling the play he’s like Fernandinho

For the future of the national team, we need Premier League teams to take a chance on homegrown players.

Unless it’s Sheffield United, in which case it’s something to do with Brexit and to be sneered at.

Yes - exactly this. People have been grousing about this issue for years, but now we have a completely homegrown squad & it's redefined as: bigoted/racist/brexit/xenophobic - take your pick/all of the above.

Then the country is impoverished in relation to midfielders.

What has this to do with United?

This way to England Wank and Other Nonsense ➡️
.. says the guy who is threatening to return to his motherland (Scotland) in another thread. make of that what you will..

Henderson has been playing out of position for the team most of the season..
anyways . i thought perhaps we were in for Bale. disappointed.

No he can pass, it's just always the safe option, rarely forward.
True but a lot of the time if he played a forward ball there’s a good chance the player he played it to would lose possession. I spent most of a game watching him very closely and he passes forward when the pass is on, he doesn’t fall into the traps the opposition set him. He’s suited to the modern game.

.. says the guy who is threatening to return to his motherland (Scotland) in another thread. make of that what you will..

I didn’t say that. I said ‘or an independent Scotland’. England is currently a nasty little nation.

Back
Top Bottom