Statistics Don't worry Gareth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ThatJa

Bigger Blade than United's Arab Emirate
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48327860

England manager Gareth Southgate has called for change to "arrest the slide" of the number of English players starting Premier League games.

Only 30% of top-flight starters during the 2018-19 season qualified to play for England - down from 33.2% the previous year and the lowest figure in Premier League history.

Of the top six team's starters, only 19.9% were English.

"There's a clear diminishing number there," said Southgate.

"There's some discussion around developing players that is important. There's some discussion around work permits moving forwards which might affect some of that.

"The first thing we've got to do is arrest the slide. We have to stop that graph slipping.

"Because it isn't correct to say we're not developing good players. I think that's really important."

The homegrown Blades are here.

Does anyone know the % of English players starting for us this season? Got to be high I'd imagine.

In other news, night follows day.

This is not new news. This has been happening for years. Time and again changes have been mooted. New methods put forward. Nothing changes. Money rules all.

For the future of the national team, we need Premier League teams to take a chance on homegrown players.

Unless it’s Sheffield United, in which case it’s something to do with Brexit and to be sneered at.
We also need the England manager to take a look at the championship. Some fantastic players in a fantastic league.

It may surprise the England snobbery but there is plenty of life outside the premier league.

They said the foreign players would bring the standard of English players up by having the likes of bergkamp and zola in the premier league..

I was not convinced a few years ago (2000) however that seems to be the case as a bunch of “ordinary” players including Kyle walker and Harry Maguire took us to another semi final of the World Cup..

Next time we will win it..

We was ok with the last 8, remember?

I have not the slightest interest in the English National team, but I will say this: They were rubbish last time, despite the most favourable draw any team has ever had. They’ll be rubbish next time and haven’t an iota of a chance of winning it. There’s a large bet available for any Little Englander who wants to differ.

This really ought to be in ‘England Wank and Other Nonsense’. Move it, please.

I have not the slightest interest in the English National team, but I will say this: They were rubbish last time, despite the most favourable draw any team has ever had. They’ll be rubbish next time and haven’t an iota of a chance of winning it. There’s a large bet available for any Little Englander who wants to differ.

Not sure being a"little Englander" is the only qualification for caring about international football. Most people love WC/EC's. And if England are good and play decent football then most will watch.

Nothing to do with nationalism

To say you’re not in the slightest bit interested you seem to know how poor they supposedly are, pinchers. :)

Not sure being a"little Englander" is the only qualification for caring about international football. Most people love WC/EC's. And if England are good and play decent football then most will watch.

Nothing to do with nationalism

The delusion that they are far better than they really are is, isn’t it?

Maybe for some? I've enjoyed watching them, even outside major tournaments since Southgate took over. I used to avoid them like the plague.

That’s fine, of course, but it really isn’t ‘coming home’ and never was, despite the nationwide fervour for mediocrity last time. Lost three games out of six. Lost every time they faced a bit of quality.

Reactions: cc1
That’s fine, of course, but it really isn’t ‘coming home’ and never was, despite the nationwide fervour for mediocrity last time. Lost three games out of six. Lost every time they faced a bit of quality.
It was a low bar to get over to be a good WC. And they've played very well since the WC.

And to be honest, a good WC takes me back to 90 when I was 9. England football has a bit of romance and nostalgia for me

We also need the England manager to take a look at the championship. Some fantastic players in a fantastic league.

It may surprise the England snobbery but there is plenty of life outside the premier league.

^^^^^^This 100%

Been making this point this for years. It's been a real slog when talking to the Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea supporters of this world though, they just can't possibly see how anyone outside of the prem would ever be good enough.

^^^^^^This 100%

Been making this point this for years. It's been a real slog when talking to the Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea supporters of this world though, they just can't possibly see how anyone outside of the prem would ever be good enough.
They just needed to look at other home nations turning up at tournaments packed with championship players to see it...

That reminds me, whatever happened to the 'Little Flecker' that you deemed not good enough to play for Sheffield United?

^^^^^^This 100%

Liverpool fans especially need to have a look in the mirror. Their offerings are Jordan Henderson who is a waste of a shirt, may as well have a bounce net in the centre circle for all the good he does, and Alexander Arnold who looked a liability at the world cup.

Looking at that graphic there's no really discernible trend up or down over the whole of the league.

Amongst the top 6 though, with that trend, I predict that by 2032-33 those teams will have, on average -3 English players each.

Not that it will matter as by then everyone will either have been fried to cinders or frozen in a block by the climate emergency, as everyone knows a couple of points on a graph can be extrapolated with 100% certainty (+/- 0.3%)

The onus should be on the players. If you aren’t playing regularly at 20-21 at the top teams then move rather than sitting in the reserves but earning more money.
Hopefully more will follow the likes of Sancho and others who are picking lower Premiership teams rather than going for the big move to a top
4 tea, to get games and play. If they’re good enough they’ll eventually get a big move to the top 4 and the price tag will ensure they get sufficient chances.
Players need to take more ownership for their careers and weight up a longer career up against a short term big contract and then fade away.

Alexander Arnold who looked a liability at the world cup.
Hes 20 FFS and just finished a season with an incredible amount of appearances and assists.
Gomes (although injured for a fair bit of this season) also looks very promising and was first choice at centre half.
If each team had 2 English players at that level, at their ages, we wouldn’t need to be having a discussion.

Hes 20 FFS and just finished a season with an incredible amount of appearances and assists.
Gomes (although injured for a fair bit of this season) also looks very promising and was first choice at centre half.
If each team had 2 English players at that level, at their ages, we wouldn’t need to be having a discussion.

He's a defender though. Good going forward without a doubt but a bit of a worry at the back, the modern fullback I suppose.

Not commenting on what he'll become, he'll obviously improve but just calling it as I see it currently.

Henderson is wank though.

Liverpool fans especially need to have a look in the mirror. Their offerings are Jordan Henderson who is a waste of a shirt, may as well have a bounce net in the centre circle for all the good he does, and Alexander Arnold who looked a liability at the world cup.
Henderson is only behind Fernandinho in that position in the country and Alexander Arnold didn't play as Trippier was at RWB with Kyle being at RCB. And even then back to back UCL finals must mean they're proper shite then.

That reminds me, whatever happened to the 'Little Flecker' that you deemed not good enough to play for Sheffield United?

A very good player but he’s not been at his best for much of the season. You probably haven’t noticed that. Don’t be surprised if he loses his place next year.

Henderson is only behind Fernandinho in that position in the country and Alexander Arnold didn't play as Trippier was at RWB with Kyle being at RCB. And even then back to back UCL finals must mean they're proper shite then.

Played him in a 5 in the middle when he played, sort a wingback.

They left him on the bench at Barca too, I don't think it's an outlandish opinion to say TAA has defensive frailties, not all the time but more than you'd like for me. Undoubtedly good going forward though.

Henderson we'll have to agree to disagree.

Played him in a 5 in the middle when he played, sort a wingback.

They left him on the bench at Barca, I don't think it's an outlandish opinion to say TAA has defensive frailties. Undoubtedly good going forward though.
No TAA away - lose 3-0
TAA at home - win 4-0

:rolleyes:
Sorry just being facetious

Then the country is impoverished in relation to midfielders.

What has this to do with United?

This way to England Wank and Other Nonsense ➡️
Well when in reserve you have the mercurial Dier and 'top prospect' Rice then we're are impoverished

But i agree this thread is irrelevant to Blades chat

Back
Top Bottom