Don't underestimate Brentford

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I would think the first few games will be finding our feet and assessing the opposition. CW/AK proved last season that they are pretty astute at making the right tweaks when needed. :)

It will be very interesting to see how we fair against them after destroying everyone in league one. Will it be the shock we've been warned of by the deluded? Or give us hope for a great season. Either way, I will immediately make my mind up after one game and refuse to be swayed from that idea regardless of future evidence.

The most underrated team in the Championship, I think they are a good outside bet for the playoffs this season. A good manager and a steady set up, it will be a tough match next week. I've heard a few comments this week where people have been dismissive, with a 'it's only little Brentford' attitude. It will be a tough game, but I can't wait for it!

You are of course spot on with the OP title.

Now Clough would have said "what a good team they are and adjust OUR team to accommodate.

Adkins would have just fluffed it with Hammond doing things that no one else could see.

CW & AK will give them 100% respect - BUT play our team that nearly every poster on here KNOWS what it will be, so will Brentford. We will go at them for 90 minutes and if we don't win it will be quite frankly that they have deserved it or they were jammy (ie Walsall at home last season).

It won't be for lack of effort, commitment or knowing how the team approaches the game in hand.

Never been more confident that our managerial team get things right before a game and if they don't (ie: Charlton at home last season) are prepared to switch formation numerous times if needed during a game

Just be confident Blades..........we're on the move :)

UTB

You are of course spot on with the OP title.

Now Clough would have said "what a good team they are and adjust OUR team to accommodate.

Adkins would have just fluffed it with Hammond doing things that no one else could see.

CW & AK will give them 100% respect - BUT play our team that nearly every poster on here KNOWS what it will be, so will Brentford. We will go at them for 90 minutes and if we don't win it will be quite frankly that they have deserved it or they were jammy (ie Walsall at home last season).

It won't be for lack of effort, commitment or knowing how the team approaches the game in hand.

Never been more confident that our managerial team get things right before a game and if they don't (ie: Charlton at home last season) are prepared to switch formation numerous times if needed during a game

Just be confident Blades..........we're on the move :)

UTB

I 'like' most of that but I don't think they change formation much, if at all, usually just player for player. I mostly see home games though, not many away.

I have seen Dean Smith as "bogey" manager in he past. (Just a feeling - no stats). But then he has never been against Wilder before. And as I looked up his stats (34.02% win ratio as a manager) I noticed he played for Barnsley South and indeed was with them as they struggled in 2003/4. I goal in 62 games.

I was hoping for Smith when we got Adkins. Ex-S6, glad he didn't go there.

Love their new badge. Wonder where the inspiration for that came from?

BFC_SocialGraphicssm.jpg
I don't like it because they are supposed to be the Bees (plural) and there's only 1 Bee here. How would you like it if we just had one sword?

I 'like' most of that but I don't think they change formation much, if at all, usually just player for player. I mostly see home games though, not many away.

We did v Charlton - CW said after the game and big gob gushed because "he" had made us change during a game. In other home games (and my nipper spotted this), we do it sometimes 5 minutes before half time - the reasoning for me is that the opposition don't see it and can't adjust quickly enough. It's a good tactic.

Away we did it specifically away at Fleetwood and Chesterfield - in both of those we were losing both 1 nil. There may have been others but as we weren't losing many it is hard to tell.

It just seems that the players can adjust if the order is given. We sit in the middle of SS and can often see the 3 discussing (and it's only a guess) changes that they may need to do.

It's all good stuff and great to see.

UTB

We did v Charlton - CW said after the game and big gob gushed because "he" had made us change during a game. In other home games (and my nipper spotted this), we do it sometimes 5 minutes before half time - the reasoning for me is that the opposition don't see it and can't adjust quickly enough. It's a good tactic.

Away we did it specifically away at Fleetwood and Chesterfield - in both of those we were losing both 1 nil. There may have been others but as we weren't losing many it is hard to tell.

It just seems that the players can adjust if the order is given. We sit in the middle of SS and can often see the 3 discussing (and it's only a guess) changes that they may need to do.

It's all good stuff and great to see.

UTB

I recall Adkins saying in his 'Meet the Manager' meeting that he would change formations 3 maybe even 4 times in a game and after Clough I was impressed with that theory. Adkins did that sometimes and it was a shambles. I must say I haven't noticed Wilder change actual formations more than once in home games, not that we needed to really. Anyway as long as it works.

I think we'll be under more pressure at times this season but after studying the league today to join Deadbat in forecasting season positions I must say there are some very good teams in the Championship but there are more poor ones. I am optimistic we can have a strong season to build a promotion push the season after.

If anyone thinks CW & AK have underestimated Brentford or any other club that we have ever played, when destroying league 1 or playing the 6 win Pre season then I'm guessing they are wrong...we have a winning mentality which is refreshing but don't expect a win every week..will we win? Who knows, nobody knows but I can't wait and I reckon the whole of the SUFC family can't wait...but one thing is certain we'll give it a bloody good go, CW & AK simply don't know any other way UTB

I don't like it because they are supposed to be the Bees (plural) and there's only 1 Bee here. How would you like it if we just had one sword?
I was being Sarcastic regarding liking it as they've basically just used our badge as a template and replaced the swords with the bee logo from Breaking Bad. I do get what you're saying with the whole plural thing though and why that would annoy a few people. Saying that it's not the worst effort, just not that original. I can think of a few clubs that have come up with far worse redesigns the past few years. (Burnley, QPR, Pigs spring to mind).

Im nervously looking forward to the game. I am coming up with Bob Booker as the books are almost ready and should be in your club shop by the Barnsley game. Not sure who Bob is supporting - well actually I think I am!

Brentford are different to most of the other teams in this league. We have a way of running the business and of player recruitment that seems to work and the scouting system is exceptional.

We will play a fairly expansive 4-3-3 with 2 wingers. Hopefully Jota and Canos but who knows what might happen to Jota at any time given all the speculation and Canos was injured yesterday and looks doubtful for next week. Vibe is sharp and clever and makes good runs.

We have 6 midfielders to choose from and I have no idea who will start but we try and pass around the opposition and you won't see any long high balls as w have no height up front.

We are lightweight, quick and small and can get bashed about and we certainly do not have an "enforcer."

Defensively we will miss the suspended Harlee Dean and we are vulnerable and susceptible to sustained pressure and set pieces.

We press hard and high and counter attack with pace.

God knows how the game will turn out!

The most underrated team in the Championship, I think they are a good outside bet for the playoffs this season. A good manager and a steady set up, it will be a tough match next week. I've heard a few comments this week where people have been dismissive, with a 'it's only little Brentford' attitude. It will be a tough game, but I can't wait for it!
Been saying the same since the fixtures came out,they have some real quality players.

We have all seen how good Sawyers is,a few of our fans will not have even heard of Jota and Vibe,but if those two are on their game then a few bottom jaws will be opened amongst our fans.

Im nervously looking forward to the game. I am coming up with Bob Booker as the books are almost ready and should be in your club shop by the Barnsley game. Not sure who Bob is supporting - well actually I think I am!

Brentford are different to most of the other teams in this league. We have a way of running the business and of player recruitment that seems to work and the scouting system is exceptional.

We will play a fairly expansive 4-3-3 with 2 wingers. Hopefully Jota and Canos but who knows what might happen to Jota at any time given all the speculation and Canos was injured yesterday and looks doubtful for next week. Vibe is sharp and clever and makes good runs.

We have 6 midfielders to choose from and I have no idea who will start but we try and pass around the opposition and you won't see any long high balls as w have no height up front.

We are lightweight, quick and small and can get bashed about and we certainly do not have an "enforcer."

Defensively we will miss the suspended Harlee Dean and we are vulnerable and susceptible to sustained pressure and set pieces.

We press hard and high and counter attack with pace.

God knows how the game will turn out!
Jota, Canos, Vibe - sounds like a team made up of small economical and in the case of Vibe electric cars.

yes i think this could be a very nervy opener, chris wilders way of playing will serve us well against any side that cant match our work rate, Brentford are very similar to ourselves in that they pass the ball well, their workrate is similar to ours and they too are unbeaten preseason.

Don't get the possibility of underestimating any team all the while Wilder is our manager. Although not essential (note last season's beginning), it won't harm to get 3 points under our belts from the first game. There's genuine competition for places so each player will know they have to give their all each time they pull on a Blade's shirt. We're back where we deserve to be, but I can't wait until we face serious competition so we can all assess just how much this team has to offer.

Oh I don't, don't worry about that. They are a very capable side and play some lovely football. They'll finish 6th this season is my bet.

Another Bees fan here, really looking forward to the game on Saturday, will be my first visit to Bramall Lane since the week after the Hillsborough disaster. Really not sure how we will do though, would much prefer not to be playing a newly promoted team full of confidence but you have to take what you are given.

As you may have read on our forums, confidence is pretty high this season after what looks like some very astute signings in the market that we operate in and a very encouraging pre-season. I think we will be well equipped to give some of the big boys a run for their money again this season. All that could change in the next week if we lose the likes of Woods or Dean (who is suspended on Saturday) or God forbid Jota who has been on fire.

Word is that Canos may be injured but that should allow Jozefzoon to start who has terrifying speed. In truth, noboby, including Dean Smith apparently knows what the starting 11 will be but whoever is picked we will be fast, pressing and dodgy at centre back.

Will be happy with a draw at this stage.
Any idea what the attendance is predicted to be?

Another Bees fan here, really looking forward to the game on Saturday, will be my first visit to Bramall Lane since the week after the Hillsborough disaster. Really not sure how we will do though, would much prefer not to be playing a newly promoted team full of confidence but you have to take what you are given.

As you may have read on our forums, confidence is pretty high this season after what looks like some very astute signings in the market that we operate in and a very encouraging pre-season. I think we will be well equipped to give some of the big boys a run for their money again this season. All that could change in the next week if we lose the likes of Woods or Dean (who is suspended on Saturday) or God forbid Jota who has been on fire.

Word is that Canos may be injured but that should allow Jozefzoon to start who has terrifying speed. In truth, noboby, including Dean Smith apparently knows what the starting 11 will be but whoever is picked we will be fast, pressing and dodgy at centre back.

Its expected to be 25K ish, possibly a bit more.
The atmosphere at BL in league matches has been poor for many years because there's hardly ever any away fans and there's a sense of depression about watching us in the 3rd tier.

So next week they'll be a real buzz and sense of excitement / expectancy from the home crowd. Wilder has totally transformed the club making us play some fantastic football, best I've seen in 40 years. Can't wait.

We might not get a result but I'm confident we'll be impressive.

Last edited:

Evening Hungerford,

I think the general tone from the Blades I know is one of understated confidence. Truth is, we're entering an unknown division and the best we can do is take general stabs at how we might perform. We've got some decent players, our midfield is strong and it will be interesting to see how we perform against your midfield. We may have a new keeper so unsure how that will pan out, but as with so many of your questions, once the game begins we'll begin to see how we measure up.

As for the crowd, I think we may have approximately 25,000, but possibly a few more depending on stragglers etc.

Hope your journey here and back is safe, hope you enjoy (not too much you understand!) your visit to the Lane. We're properly located in the centre of Sheffield so easy to find.

All the best fella, UTB!

Evening Hungerford,

I think the general tone from the Blades I know is one of understated confidence. Truth is, we're entering an unknown division and the best we can do is take general stabs at how we might perform. We've got some decent players, our midfield is strong and it will be interesting to see how we perform against your midfield. We may have a new keeper so unsure how that will pan out, but as with so many of your questions, once the game begins we'll begin to see how we measure up.

As for the crowd, I think we may have approximately 25,000, but possibly a few more depending on stragglers etc.

Hope your journey here and back is safe, hope you enjoy (not too much you understand!) your visit to the Lane. We're properly located in the centre of Sheffield so easy to find.

All the best fella, UTB!

Well it got be easier to get to than Godforsaken Hillsborough! have heard good things about the city pubs as well and am on the train so may have a swift one (or several). With only 1,600 in our away end it sells out for virtually every home game which adds to the atmosphere and after spending 50 years watching the Bees in the lower divisions apart from one disasterous season 25 years ago I am loving Division 2. It is a big step up from Division 3 and much more of a big match occasion and the opportunity to stuff one the "big" boys like Villa and especially the hooped scum from up the road is one we are relishing. As the division is so northern based I guess you will pretty much sell out your away end for most games.

All the best to you guys to. Always thought Sheffield was a proper football city.

Well it got be easier to get to than Godforsaken Hillsborough! have heard good things about the city pubs as well and am on the train so may have a swift one (or several). With only 1,600 in our away end it sells out for virtually every home game which adds to the atmosphere and after spending 50 years watching the Bees in the lower divisions apart from one disasterous season 25 years ago I am loving Division 2. It is a big step up from Division 3 and much more of a big match occasion and the opportunity to stuff one the "big" boys like Villa and especially the hooped scum from up the road is one we are relishing. As the division is so northern based I guess you will pretty much sell out your away end for most games.

All the best to you guys to. Always thought Sheffield was a proper football city.

Cheers,

You're right, we are a football city, just that both teams have underachieved for far too many years. The big change for us was the appointment of Chris Wilder, he's done wonders so far, and although I think it's best not to apply too much pressure onto the guy's shoulders, we can't help but be pleased with what happened last season.

Although I'm not a boozer, if you make your way to Shoreham St, you'll soon come to The Sentinel which is reputed to offer better than average beer. From there the ground is just a few minutes walk.

Hope you do bring a decent crowd, it should add to a good attendance and contribute to a good atmosphere.

One final bit of advice, the other team are called many things, but we like to refer to them as Wendy or the Pigs. It helps differentiate between us and the club that exists on the outskirts of town.

Don't underestimate Sheffield United either

Oh, they will. We must have the self-flagellation of how much better other fucking teams are than us.

I'm looking forward to the first "they'll batter us". Some bright spark will get there soon.

IMG_0095.JPG

Could be one of those surprise contenders, but could also be lower half stragglers. It isn't an easy start and I don't know why anyone would think it will be.

It's not one for tear and trembling either; unless you suffer from B.I.C. I foresee an epidemic. The symptoms are cap-doffing and tugging of forelocks. In the worst cases, the victims turn into a bowl of quivering jelly.

Did Brentford play at the Lane the week after the disaster? If so, I've got that programme somewhere as I remember the front cover was given over to a message in memory to the victims.

Anyway, it'll be good game and the ale is always good.

The only team our fans appear to be underestimating are Sheffield United Football Club.

It's the Bladesfans' Way. All other teams are fantastic and should batter us. They buy great players (never, ever miss out) and their managers and chairmen are always truthful and accurate.

I was being Sarcastic regarding liking it as they've basically just used our badge as a template and replaced the swords with the bee logo from Breaking Bad. I do get what you're saying with the whole plural thing though and why that would annoy a few people. Saying that it's not the worst effort, just not that original. I can think of a few clubs that have come up with far worse redesigns the past few years. (Burnley, QPR, Pigs spring to mind).
Yes fair enough. I was being tongue in cheek too. But seriously I wouldn't have signed that design off because of the plural. They could have one main bee (as currently) with other smaller bees on the logo without detracting from it.

Key question though Blades...

Do you think we will win?

I think we will show enough to convince our fans that we are a force in this division against a top 10 side from last season. But I think we will show some naiveness and end up with a draw.

Back
Top Bottom