Does anybody know if this relates to the Sheffield United 1925 FA Cup win?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LEANNE JONES

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but my dad picked up this silver spoon at the Sheffield programme fair. He picked it up thinking it related to the 1925 Wembley FA cup win against Cardiff City? With the footballers holding the cup being on the spoon. But I've looked around online and think maybe it could relate to the British Empire exhibition? Im just not sure so if anybody can identify it, would be a huge help! Also, if you do know what it is, do you know what it's value is? Thanks! (I've attached a photo) :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_8529.JPG
    IMG_8529.JPG
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 131

Is it silver? Are there any other marks down the stem towards the bowl.

If so, can you enlarge them, and send the image?

I’ve got a mate who’s good at dating (which you already know) and valuing.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but my dad picked up this silver spoon at the Sheffield programme fair. He picked it up thinking it related to the 1925 Wembley FA cup win against Cardiff City? With the footballers holding the cup being on the spoon. But I've looked around online and think maybe it could relate to the British Empire exhibition? Im just not sure so if anybody can identify it, would be a huge help! Also, if you do know what it is, do you know what it's value is? Thanks! (I've attached a photo) :confused:

As the British Empire Exhibition ran from 23 April 1924 to 31 October 1925 it would seem unlikely that any commemorative spoon would just have 1925 on it. The fact that there is an image of a trophy bearing some similarity to the FA Cup would suggest it is related to the Blades cup win.

Is it silver? Are there any other marks down the stem towards the bowl.

If so, can you enlarge them, and send the image?

I’ve got a mate who’s good at dating (which you already know) and valuing.
Not very clear but that's all that's on the back!

Attachments

• IMG_8531.JPG
    IMG_8531.JPG
    926.3 KB · Views: 56
As the British Empire Exhibition ran from 23 April 1924 to 31 October 1925 it would seem unlikely that any commemorative spoon would just have 1925 on it. The fact that there is an image of a trophy bearing some similarity to the FA Cup would suggest it is related to the Blades cup win.
Right, thats good news! :) thanks for the quick response!

There was a lot of commemorative stuff with just Wembley 1924 or Wembley 1925 on it, so it can be from the exhibition.

I think it is at least linked to the exhibition, as the Art Deco lion on your spoon was the symbol of the exhibition. Whether it was also linked to the FA Cup I don't know.

There was a lot of commemorative stuff with just Wembley 1924 or Wembley 1925 on it, so it can be from the exhibition.

I think it is at least linked to the exhibition, as the Art Deco lion on your spoon was the symbol of the exhibition. Whether it was also linked to the FA Cup I don't know.
Most things I've seen from the exhibition have the lion so thats what I thought! thanks :)

4F8328B5-5C96-428E-A9FD-99E4F3FECD49.png
Fairly sure it’s a British Empire Exhibition commemorative spoon. This is a badge from the same exhibition.

Could it be both?
The 2 men are clearly kitted up for football and there is the cup.
The ball is very like the globes of the BEE and the lion is clearly the mascot of the BEE. Maybe the exhibition was something they were so proud of they decided to include it on FA Cup memorabilia.

Not very clear but that's all that's on the back!

I would suggest you post a better image of the back. That appears to be a hallmark, meaning that it is silver. If it carries the mark of the Sheffield Assay Office (a crown) it might suggest it was to do with SUFC.
However, my initial thoughts were that the globe and the lion are to do with the BEE and the presence of a cup and footballers is because Wembley was built for the BEE and not to signify a paricular match.

The first FA Cup got nicked and the second one was replaced after just a few years when the FA realised that they hadn't copyrighted/trademarked it's shape after Man United made a replica. That will be why the cup on that spoon won't be commemorating the 1925 Cup Final.

I would suggest you post a better image of the back. That appears to be a hallmark, meaning that it is silver. If it carries the mark of the Sheffield Assay Office (a crown) it might suggest it was to do with SUFC.
However, my initial thoughts were that the globe and the lion are to do with the BEE and the presence of a cup and footballers is because Wembley was built for the BEE and not to signify a paricular match.
I hope this is better. Maybe thats right! These are the only marks on the back.

Attachments

• IMG_8535.PNG
    IMG_8535.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
The first FA Cup got nicked and the second one was replaced after just a few years when the FA realised that they hadn't copyrighted/trademarked it's shape after Man United made a replica. That will be why the cup on that spoon won't be commemorating the 1925 Cup Final.
The cup looks fairly similar to the 1910 FA Cup design?

We think it’s 314 Stainless Steel, and the other mark belongs to the maker.

I hope this is better. Maybe thats right! These are the only marks on the back.

That's a bit confusing. Neither of the letters match the year letter of any assay office, the two right hand symbols are difficult to decipher but neither looks like a location mark, so I would suggest it isn't silver, possibly the EP stands for electro-plated and the RC is the maker.

That's a bit confusing. Neither of the letters match the year letter of any assay office, the two right hand symbols are difficult to decipher but neither looks like a location mark, so I would suggest it isn't silver, possibly the EP stands for electro-plated and the RC is the maker.

EDIT - as georgebernardshaw suggests, stainless, but could it be silver plated SS?

The cup looks fairly similar to the 1910 FA Cup design?
original-fa-cup-1872-no-10-001.jpg

Got stolen in 1895

headline-and-article-in-the-sunday-pictorial-newspaper-purporting-to-picture-id857936832

This is the 2nd FA Cup from 1896 to 1910

BP2033151.jpg

7E5269B4-47F6-4B0F-886B-EC75F9B3AF1E.jpeg
Hi Leanne

Does this look like the same cup, I have added a link http://www.luckyshow.org/basketball/HempsteadHS'25Champs.htm

I believe blade to long was right with it looks like a basketball.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom