Diving....if you can't beat 'em

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bla blade

VAR is killing football
Reaction score
Diving has become deeply and depressingly ingrained in the game. I'm not on about the blatant stuff looking for penalties etc but the ones where players throw themselves to the ground anywhere on the pitch at the slightest contact. Grealish and Maddison are classic culprits but they're pretty much all at it.

There was one at Villa where Bash tickled one of theirs (probably Grealish) and the inevitable dive and free kick followed.

All of which leads me to think do we need to join the club. I hate myself for thinking this but we are one of the most honest teams yet we just end up disadvantaged. I'd have hoped refs would have the balls to stamp it out but there's fat chance of that.

What annoys me is that even when the diving cunt is sussed by the ref not awarding the foul , the ref hardly ever books the cunt.
So it's a no risk ploy.
I am so sad that it's now part of the game because it's shit to watch - but we cannot continue to suffer without replying in kind - we need to roll around a bit more.
It's not just the immediate advantage of the free kick but it makes defenders nervous of contact , so you get less hassle when on the ball.

What annoys me is that even when the diving cunt is sussed by the ref not awarding the foul , the ref hardly ever books the cunt.
So it's a no risk ploy.
I am so sad that it's now part of the game because it's shit to watch - but we cannot continue to suffer without replying in kind - we need to roll around a bit more.
It's not just the immediate advantage of the free kick but it makes defenders nervous of contact , so you get less hassle when on the ball.

I agree, in fact what with VAR and all the feigning injury and diving, as a spectacle I think The Championship is a far better spectator experience.

However if we want to compete at the highest level, The Premier League is obviously the place to be. But you’re right about diving, it’s usually a pretty innocuous contact that sends them sprawling but you can’t say categorically that they’ve dived.

But occasionally, like last weekend a player throws himself to the floor with absolutely no contact at all ( Almiron Newcastle v BHA) but as you rightly say, nothing happens???

If they’re serious about stamping out diving, which they should be, he should have got a retrospective 8 match ban and a £50,000 fine. Then players might think twice before doing the same

Can put up with the diving its the screaming and yelping that gets me.then when the rolling and writhing is finished after the opponents got booked.. that yellow card shown to the offender suddenly makes the injured player miraculously recover. I always thought there would never be a better recovery method than the magic sponge but time moves on.

Has anyone seen a replay of the incident where Berge appeared to be tripped in the area during the Villa game? The likes of Salah or Greasy Grealish wouldn't have hesitated to hurl themselves to the floor before appealing to the referee.

Divers: if you can’t beat em, kidney punch them instead.

Sterling blatantly dived against wolves. Ref saw no contact didn't give a penalty but no reprimand whatsoever for Sterling.. seriously wtf

The referees need a reminder
Law 12:
" A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip"

Has anyone seen a replay of the incident where Berge appeared to be tripped in the area during the Villa game? The likes of Salah or Greasy Grealish wouldn't have hesitated to hurl themselves to the floor before appealing to the referee.
He should be commended for not cheating. If he'd controlled the ball properly he'd have scored.

I can’t remember which Villa player (Think it was Trézéguet) but he went down yelping and rolling around. He grabbed his knee, then his face, then his arm seemingly forgetting which body part had been knocked. I started to wish Baldock had just twatted him, at least he’d of then had a reason to roll around.

I agree, in fact what with VAR and all the feigning injury and diving, as a spectacle I think The Championship is a far better spectator experience.

However if we want to compete at the highest level, The Premier League is obviously the place to be. But you’re right about diving, it’s usually a pretty innocuous contact that sends them sprawling but you can’t say categorically that they’ve dived.

But occasionally, like last weekend a player throws himself to the floor with absolutely no contact at all ( Almiron Newcastle v BHA) but as you rightly say, nothing happens???

If they’re serious about stamping out diving, which they should be, he should have got a retrospective 8 match ban and a £50,000 fine. Then players might think twice before doing the same

The Almiron dive was ridiculous. The camera caught him walking away afterwards smiling at the defender who was going mental.

How on Earth was that not deemed a yellow card? VAR spends 10 mins trying to disallow perfectly good goals but can’t be used to stamp this kind of shite out of the game. The people running the show are purely incompetent.

Burnley were also doing plenty of it against us last week.

Diving has become deeply and depressingly ingrained in the game. I'm not on about the blatant stuff looking for penalties etc but the ones where players throw themselves to the ground anywhere on the pitch at the slightest contact. Grealish and Maddison are classic culprits but they're pretty much all at it.

There was one at Villa where Bash tickled one of theirs (probably Grealish) and the inevitable dive and free kick followed.

All of which leads me to think do we need to join the club. I hate myself for thinking this but we are one of the most honest teams yet we just end up disadvantaged. I'd have hoped refs would have the balls to stamp it out but there's fat chance of that.
Yet some Villa fans on social media had the audacity to suggest Bash dived for our penalty against them!

Lets be honest, we are decent at diving / making things look worse than they are. Rose tinted specs to say otherwise. Bash loves a dive, Billy too, Baldock isnt averse either. We just arent as good as others at it / make so much of a meal about it!

Whilst that was a pen the other day, Bash was more than happy to make the most of it, it wasnt much of a touch on him. If im honest ive no idea why he didnt actually attempt to score from where he was, the contact came after he'd already touched it!

CW doesnt encourage diving as part of is management. Norwood did it last season if I recall and he ended up with a booking and CW called him a silly lad or something like that and said thats not what he teaches his players.

So it's a no risk ploy.

The trouble is to not make it look obvious you need to be very fleet of foot. Apart from perhaps fleck and Mousset we have got that type of player

It's a tricky one, I hate it with a passion, especially the screaming, but there seems to be no stigma attached to players who are infamous for doing it game after game. Fellow ex pro pundits refuse to condemn players for doing it & in fact excuse it by saying contact has been made, however slight. My thoughts have always been to let the cheating bastards get on with it, but it is so widespread these days that we seem to be suffering from it in every game. I honestly thought we would have been held up as a beacon for not resorting to those tactics by now, but as it seems to be an accepted tactic I believe we should start to use it ourselves, not cheating I hasten to add, just going down when we feel contact to accentuate it.

Lets be honest, we are decent at diving / making things look worse than they are. Rose tinted specs to say otherwise. Bash loves a dive, Billy too, Baldock isnt averse either. We just arent as good as others at it / make so much of a meal about it!

Whilst that was a pen the other day, Bash was more than happy to make the most of it, it wasnt much of a touch on him. If im honest ive no idea why he didnt actually attempt to score from where he was, the contact came after he'd already touched it!

I suspect many of our fans won't accept that any of our players dive.

Bash is a dreadful diver, both in terms of form and believability! It's not unusual for him to throw himself to the ground theatrically in the penalty area.
Billy is the real pro. He's incredibly adept at getting himself between the defender and the ball and going down like a sack of spuds if tapped.
Baldock, when pressed towards his own corner flag, protects the ball and then falls over when an opponent comes up behind him

Now, many will refer to the last two as being a 'good professional' or clever player but it is essentially diving.

I suspect many of our fans won't accept that any of our players dive.

Bash is a dreadful diver, both in terms of form and believability! It's not unusual for him to throw himself to the ground theatrically in the penalty area.
Billy is the real pro. He's incredibly adept at getting himself between the defender and the ball and going down like a sack of spuds if tapped.
Baldock, when pressed towards his own corner flag, protects the ball and then falls over when an opponent comes up behind him

Now, many will refer to the last two as being a 'good professional' or clever player but it is essentially diving.
Yeah it is. To me, its all part of the game, and has been for a very long time now, i cant be wound up about it. Diving in the box is pretty much pointless as VAR pick up on that. I dont see much difference to the examples you say with things such appealing for throw ins corner kicks etc etc when you know its not yours, managers screaming for free kicks when there's nothing there..its all cheating /gaining an advantage / influencing the ref (whichever one suits on the day and occasion!)

I wonder if in the heat of the moment, Bash thought it might be a red if he went down under the challenge. A pen and a red card could have completely swung the game.

Was one of those odd ones for me where it was probably a dive but definitely a penalty.

All of which leads me to think do we need to join the club

I'd rather call it "buying a free kick" - we've already got one who is one of the best in the league at it. Another player we have isn't far behind either.

It's in the game and referees mainly fall for it.

FIFA/EUFA are slowly making football a none contact sport - they'll win in the end.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom