Derby 0 Blades 2 - report/thoughts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Have to be honest and say I did not watch this intently - I just got in from work and was trying to do more work (first proper day back - Schools - argh!) so forgive inaccuracies/skewed opinions but saw enough to form the below! 😂;)

Teams

We had a load missing of course - Ramsdale, Egan, Stevens, Robinson (C), Fleck and Berge international duty - McGoldrick injury and O'Connell and Lundstram (still completing 14 day covid quarantine I assume?) so missing 8 starters at least.

Only Baldock, Basham and Norwood from that eleven I would expect to start v Wolves.

Foderingham was in goal. Norrington Davies played left wing back, Baldock at right and Jags with Jack Robinson and Bash in the middle. In midfield, Slater and Osborn flanked Norwood. Sharp and Mousset played up top although McBurnie replaced Mousse at half time. Brunt and Bryan came on with Bryan playing left wing back and Brunt midfield - Slater seemed to drop to right wing back.

---

Derby were without Rooney, Waghorn and Lawrence (injured) and also Andre Wisdom and Krystian Bielik did not play. New first choice keeper David Marshall was away with Scotland.

They still had, Bogle, Shinnie, Duane Holmes, Jack Marriott, Forsyth and a few talented youngsters like Louie Sibley. Matt Clarke (centre back on loan from Brighton) and Curtis Davies came on also. You could argue they had a stronger team than us in terms of first teamers being used.

---

Firstly, the kit looks nice (pink) BUT we cannot wear it v teams with a white kit such as Leeds, Fulham and Spurs and we won't wear red and white due to the amount of white on the home kit. So, we need a third kit if we did not already.

Weirdly, it may actually be ok v red teams actually as seemed lighter when watching on TV (mine and my son's version seem much pinker in real life which is weird - maybe it is the lighting on the feed?!)

The game itself, first half it was a scrappy start with both teams giving the ball away. They had a half chance which Foderingham kind of half saved and they had an overhead kick over (Marriott) but we slowly grew into the game with Norwood and Osborn dictating the tempo. Mousset and Sharp both seemed a bit off the pace - not sure that is a partnership that would really work long term and can see why CW had used that the least of the combos. Robinson got forward and had a cross cum shot wide and United started to control things.

Both keepers looked a bit dodgy with kicking and decisions. Forsyth and Roos got in a mess and the keeper had to kick behind. Sibley would have got sent off in a real game in a 5 minute spell. He cynically pulled Sharp back and then went in late on Baldock who was not happy and also was silly (shoving him several times). From this free kick we took the lead, Norwood's ball was not cleared and OSBORN drilled in right into the corner maybe deceiving the keeper as it went in near post as he took the shot but was a well hit shot through bodies.

Just before half time, the keeper uncertainty continued as Foderingham inexplicably just picked it up outside as his box as he came too far to collect. The free kick came to nothing.

Mousse was taken off for McBurnie and we instantly improved. Him and Sharp were better as a pair and the latter improved too. We completely dominated the second half after a more even first half. They did not get into our half barely and never had the ball much at all for the final 45 minutes. Norwood ran the game completely and Osborn was busy. Slater was ok too. McBurnie came deep and held it up really well and linked with others. We should have had several goals really. McBurnie headed one cross wide from Norwood and Jags did the same from a cross. Both should have scored.

Bryan came on and did well actually with a few decent touches and crosses - at first team level the best he has looked (since Hallam last year) when any other time he has looked jittery. He may have to be a possible option there as back up as we seem to be prioritising other positions although would feel Osborn would go there if Enda was injured; in the first instance (expect RND to go out on loan again). He was involved in one attack as the ball pinged about and then soon after Bryan put a fantastic cross over that was turned in smartly by SHARP - not an easy finish as it did sit up.😂😂

After this Billy broke the offside trap but took too long to execute the lob that was on and as it came back to him off the keeper, he screwed wide. It was all so comfortable though and Derby were chasing shadows. Yes, they had a lot of kids in but we were not exactly at our strongest either. It was good how easily we won the game. We looked a cut above and a few in particular stood out - namely Osborn, Basham and of course Norwood.

Derby looked very poor and will need to sign a number of players (yes, they have some coming back) to add to some talented youngsters but seem to be going through a transition from old, overpaid players (yes, I know they signed Rooney!) to younger players so will take time. Glad they did not get a points deduction though as think they will be nearer the bottom than the top!

Player ratings (go on I'll do some!)

Foderingham 5/10 - Few moments of indecision when he had little to do. He made a bit of a mess of a kick earlier on, slicing it out and then handballed it outside the box. He made one flick over but not sure he had much to do at all - no shots really of note to save.

Baldock 7/10 - Fine apart from trying to get into a fight! No matter what the game - he always brings that aggression which is his game. Got forward when he could but put a few crosses behind.

Norrington Davies 6/10 - Made an error early on when he gave it away and they broke and positionally he seemed a bit unsure when to go and stay - as a result did not see him go forward much. It's such a complex system to play though so hard to be too critical.

Jagielka 6.5/10 - Lack of pace shown a few times first half when he got caught too high but he got better as the game went on. Should have scored but played with a fag in his mouth second half so little they threatened.

Basham 7.5/10 - Very good. Slipped again a few times (could excuse that at Dundee United but maybe he needs to look at his studs!) but overall, he was solid. Ran forward, linked with others and usual all energiser bunny!

Robinson 7/10 - Sound - starting to really understand the position more and we are seeing him go forward more. Real steady eddy - bit Cranie like in that respect.

Slater 6.5/10 - Did ok. Not as involved as the other too but steady and did not give it away too much. Steady but nothing spectacular. Ended up at right wing back I believe when Baldock went off.

Osborn 8/10 - Excellent. Busy, involved and industrious. He was good on the ball and off it. He has been really good most games he has played and is determined to take his chances when they come. He was involved in breaking up things and attacking play and scored a great goal. Even when he gave it away, he raced back to get it or retrieve his error. Whisper this but he reminds me of a skilful Montgomery - maybe more like a Stephen Quinn - left sided?

Mousset 4/10 - May seem harsh but he did not look arsed. Tried a few bits of skill that did not come off but looked well off the pace and not someone who was exactly busting a gut. I know that is not his style but he needs to work harder when he does not have the ball or at least do more when he does!

Sharp 7/10 - First half more like a 4 or 5 but much better after the break. Scored one and could have had another and worked hard, linking play.

Subs

McBurnie 7/10 - A lot is being made of him being picked or being involved. As a Sheffield United fan I will say he is our player and we pay his wages and if we want to bring him back to fitness then that is fine. I can see why Scotland fans would see it is a big two fingers though to them - especially after his caught on camera comments last year. Maybe the club/Scotland need to say that he was given time with us as he was easing back to fitness and not ready for international games - the cynical Scotland fan may say if he is fit then he should play for them or be available. If he is not fit, he should not play for anyone but this is a friendly and he is easing his way back. To be honest the fans don't rate him and don’t need much ammunition. I am not sure we should care what they think. If Clarke wants to pick him for Scotland so be it - there won’t be fans for a while so hardly like he'll get some stick. Just hope he does not make daft comments on social media. Wilder needs to tell him to not respond as loads surely will try and involve him shall we say!

As for his game today, he was really good - good quick feet, held it up but should have scored but we improved hugely after he came on at the top of the pitch.

Bryan 7/10 - I am not his biggest fan but he did well today and grew into the game. Defensively, under little pressure ok and got forward well. Had a chance of a shot which he decided against but then hit a superb cross that was begging to be finished and Billy did. He then ballooned a woeful effort over but he was well advanced again. An improvement on what I have seen before but needs more than 30 mins of this form versus a poor Derby side before I would count on him for any game time at Prem level.

Brunt - See Slater. Did ok. Overran one ball and then dived in after he got fouled and tried to get it back and was a bit high. He was ok when he had it and neat and tidy but did not have too long or much of the ball.

Shame we did not get to see Hackford as would have liked to see him have some time for say Sharp with 10 minutes to go.

Overall, a pleasing performance with more plusses than minuses - some worries in terms of what we saw - Foderingham and Mousset albeit with limited touches/action but also some excellent performances from some of our counted-on players.;)😂

Not nessecarily a dig at anyone but Moose really does seem to divide.

not sure if this is a continuation of the pro / anti camp after the back end of last season but I’ve seen him praised a couple of times for how he played today and then called out another couple of times.

Odd but I suspect it must fall somewhere in between - no dog in the fight as I didn’t see the match

Absolutely dominated them in the second 45 they couldn't even get out of their own half. RND looks tidy, great cross from Bryan for Sharps goal.

Nice report spot on considering you watched it with one eye.

In my opinion I thought Jags did very well he made some good interceptions and his cross field passing whilst not JoC standard was still very good.
To be fair to Baldock their No.17 was a dirty little beeper. He should have been sent off. Also Baldock has been working out his upper body is massive!
Basham, pure class his feet are quicker than his brain hence the slips.
Mousset spot on I used to love the guy but I have not seem him for months give anything but a can't be arsed throw your hands in the air attitude. If anyone needs to win the fans round its him.
Robinson combining with McBurnie again for the long throws pays off each time
McBurnie did what Mousset should have been doing putting himself about. Dont know whether its me or the pink shirt being too bigt but he looked like he had spindly legs and was top heavy !
Osborn my man of the match. Special mention for Sharp with the right partner he is as good as anyone. Should have got two though.

Have to be honest and say I did not watch this intently - I just got in from work and was trying to do more work (first proper day back - Schools - argh!) so forgive inaccuracies/skewed opinions but saw enough to form the below! 😂;)

Teams

We had a load missing of course - Ramsdale, Egan, Stevens, Robinson (C), Fleck and Berge international duty - McGoldrick injury and O'Connell and Lundstram (still completing 14 day covid quarantine I assume?) so missing 8 starters at least.

Only Baldock, Basham and Norwood from that eleven I would expect to start v Wolves.

Foderingham was in goal. Norrington Davies played left wing back, Baldock at right and Jags with Jack Robinson and Bash in the middle. In midfield, Slater and Osborn flanked Norwood. Sharp and Mousset played up top although McBurnie replaced Mousse at half time. Brunt and Bryan came on with Bryan playing left wing back and Brunt midfield - Slater seemed to drop to right wing back.

---

Derby were without Rooney, Waghorn and Lawrence (injured) and also Andre Wisdom and Krystian Bielik did not play. New first choice keeper David Marshall was away with Scotland.

They still had, Bogle, Shinnie, Duane Holmes, Jack Marriott, Forsyth and a few talented youngsters like Louie Sibley. Matt Clarke (centre back on loan from Brighton) and Curtis Davies came on also. You could argue they had a stronger team than us in terms of first teamers being used.

---

Firstly, the kit looks nice (pink) BUT we cannot wear it v teams with a white kit such as Leeds, Fulham and Spurs and we won't wear red and white due to the amount of white on the home kit. So, we need a third kit if we did not already.

Weirdly, it may actually be ok v red teams actually as seemed lighter when watching on TV (mine and my son's version seem much pinker in real life which is weird - maybe it is the lighting on the feed?!)

The game itself, first half it was a scrappy start with both teams giving the ball away. They had a half chance which Foderingham kind of half saved and they had an overhead kick over (Marriott) but we slowly grew into the game with Norwood and Osborn dictating the tempo. Mousset and Sharp both seemed a bit off the pace - not sure that is a partnership that would really work long term and can see why CW had used that the least of the combos. Robinson got forward and had a cross cum shot wide and United started to control things.

Both keepers looked a bit dodgy with kicking and decisions. Forsyth and Roos got in a mess and the keeper had to kick behind. Sibley would have got sent off in a real game in a 5 minute spell. He cynically pulled Sharp back and then went in late on Baldock who was not happy and also was silly (shoving him several times). From this free kick we took the lead, Norwood's ball was not cleared and OSBORN drilled in right into the corner maybe deceiving the keeper as it went in near post as he took the shot but was a well hit shot through bodies.

Just before half time, the keeper uncertainty continued as Foderingham inexplicably just picked it up outside as his box as he came too far to collect. The free kick came to nothing.

Mousse was taken off for McBurnie and we instantly improved. Him and Sharp were better as a pair and the latter improved too. We completely dominated the second half after a more even first half. They did not get into our half barely and never had the ball much at all for the final 45 minutes. Norwood ran the game completely and Osborn was busy. Slater was ok too. McBurnie came deep and held it up really well and linked with others. We should have had several goals really. McBurnie headed one cross wide from Norwood and Jags did the same from a cross. Both should have scored.

Bryan came on and did well actually with a few decent touches and crosses - at first team level the best he has looked (since Hallam last year) when any other time he has looked jittery. He may have to be a possible option there as back up as we seem to be prioritising other positions although would feel Osborn would go there if Enda was injured; in the first instance (expect RND to go out on loan again). He was involved in one attack as the ball pinged about and then soon after Bryan put a fantastic cross over that was turned in smartly by SHARP - not an easy finish as it did sit up.😂😂

After this Billy broke the offside trap but took too long to execute the lob that was on and as it came back to him off the keeper, he screwed wide. It was all so comfortable though and Derby were chasing shadows. Yes, they had a lot of kids in but we were not exactly at our strongest either. It was good how easily we won the game. We looked a cut above and a few in particular stood out - namely Osborn, Basham and of course Norwood.

Derby looked very poor and will need to sign a number of players (yes, they have some coming back) to add to some talented youngsters but seem to be going through a transition from old, overpaid players (yes, I know they signed Rooney!) to younger players so will take time. Glad they did not get a points deduction though as think they will be nearer the bottom than the top!

Player ratings (go on I'll do some!)

Foderingham 5/10 - Few moments of indecision when he had little to do. He made a bit of a mess of a kick earlier on, slicing it out and then handballed it outside the box. He made one flick over but not sure he had much to do at all - no shots really of note to save.

Baldock 7/10 - Fine apart from trying to get into a fight! No matter what the game - he always brings that aggression which is his game. Got forward when he could but put a few crosses behind.

Norrington Davies 6/10 - Made an error early on when he gave it away and they broke and positionally he seemed a bit unsure when to go and stay - as a result did not see him go forward much. It's such a complex system to play though so hard to be too critical.

Jagielka 6.5/10 - Lack of pace shown a few times first half when he got caught too high but he got better as the game went on. Should have scored but played with a fag in his mouth second half so little they threatened.

Basham 7.5/10 - Very good. Slipped again a few times (could excuse that at Dundee United but maybe he needs to look at his studs!) but overall, he was solid. Ran forward, linked with others and usual all energiser bunny!

Robinson 7/10 - Sound - starting to really understand the position more and we are seeing him go forward more. Real steady eddy - bit Cranie like in that respect.

Slater 6.5/10 - Did ok. Not as involved as the other too but steady and did not give it away too much. Steady but nothing spectacular. Ended up at right wing back I believe when Baldock went off.

Osborn 8/10 - Excellent. Busy, involved and industrious. He was good on the ball and off it. He has been really good most games he has played and is determined to take his chances when they come. He was involved in breaking up things and attacking play and scored a great goal. Even when he gave it away, he raced back to get it or retrieve his error. Whisper this but he reminds me of a skilful Montgomery - maybe more like a Stephen Quinn - left sided?

Mousset 4/10 - May seem harsh but he did not look arsed. Tried a few bits of skill that did not come off but looked well off the pace and not someone who was exactly busting a gut. I know that is not his style but he needs to work harder when he does not have the ball or at least do more when he does!

Sharp 7/10 - First half more like a 4 or 5 but much better after the break. Scored one and could have had another and worked hard, linking play.

Subs

McBurnie 7/10 - A lot is being made of him being picked or being involved. As a Sheffield United fan I will say he is our player and we pay his wages and if we want to bring him back to fitness then that is fine. I can see why Scotland fans would see it is a big two fingers though to them - especially after his caught on camera comments last year. Maybe the club/Scotland need to say that he was given time with us as he was easing back to fitness and not ready for international games - the cynical Scotland fan may say if he is fit then he should play for them or be available. If he is not fit, he should not play for anyone but this is a friendly and he is easing his way back. To be honest the fans don't rate him and don’t need much ammunition. I am not sure we should care what they think. If Clarke wants to pick him for Scotland so be it - there won’t be fans for a while so hardly like he'll get some stick. Just hope he does not make daft comments on social media. Wilder needs to tell him to not respond as loads surely will try and involve him shall we say!

As for his game today, he was really good - good quick feet, held it up but should have scored but we improved hugely after he came on at the top of the pitch.

Bryan 7/10 - I am not his biggest fan but he did well today and grew into the game. Defensively, under little pressure ok and got forward well. Had a chance of a shot which he decided against but then hit a superb cross that was begging to be finished and Billy did. He then ballooned a woeful effort over but he was well advanced again. An improvement on what I have seen before but needs more than 30 mins of this form versus a poor Derby side before I would count on him for any game time at Prem level.

Brunt - See Slater. Did ok. Overran one ball and then dived in after he got fouled and tried to get it back and was a bit high. He was ok when he had it and neat and tidy but did not have too long or much of the ball.

Shame we did not get to see Hackford as would have liked to see him have some time for say Sharp with 10 minutes to go.

Overall, a pleasing performance with more plusses than minuses - some worries in terms of what we saw - Foderingham and Mousset albeit with limited touches/action but also some excellent performances from some of our counted-on players.;)😂

You missed out Norwood. Completely bossed the game today. Probably a rare 9/10.

Feel you were a bit generous with Osborn and a bit harsh on Jags. The rest spot on.

Not nessecarily a dig at anyone but Moose really does seem to divide.

not sure if this is a continuation of the pro / anti camp after the back end of last season but I’ve seen him praised a couple of times for how he played today and then called out another couple of times.

Odd but I suspect it must fall somewhere in between - no dog in the fight as I didn’t see the match

I am not sure what he did of anything really - maybe I was too harsh but seemed to be playing his own game (trying to run through 3 defenders when the easy pass was on) or not running unless the ball is played right to his feet. He is so much talent but at the moment unless he works harder (I am not saying run around like a maniac as accept that is not his game) and tries to do the basics well first - then Wilder will not play him much.

You missed out Norwood. Completely bossed the game today. Probably a rare 9/10.

Feel you were a bit generous with Osborn and a bit harsh on Jags. The rest spot on.

I did forget Norwood. Ooops. He was the best player on the pitch.

Norwood 9/10

Ran the game and as you say even for a friendly - easily a 9/10 - Superb and showed what a class act he was. Looked a league above players he is against - which he is.

Best player on the pitch by some way.

I did forget Norwood. Ooops. He was the best player on the pitch.

Norwood 9/10

Ran the game and as you say even for a friendly - easily a 9/10 - Superb and showed what a class act he was. Looked a league above players he is against - which he is.

Best player on the pitch by some way.
That's better!

We should have had several goals really. McBurnie headed one cross wide from Norwood and Jags did the same from a cross. Both should have scored.

couldnt see the game. was at work albeit not doom & gloom. this worries me because the 1 worry for the upcoming season is dominating games or being better team & not taking advantage. as we wont get away with it it cost us. we shouldve beaten arsenal Burnley Everton & Southampton. but we came away with 1 draw

How many 4/10 performances by Moose can CW actually tolerate ?
What a shameful waste of talent.

Billy's finish for the second goal - straight out of the Gerd Muller Instruction Manual on how to put the ball in the net and make it look easy . :)

Just another wonderful example of the art of the goal poacher from the great man .

Watched it all - Derby could go close to relegation this season.

They want to knock it about a bit but seem very lacking.

Appreciate we both played reserves, but we looked really comfortable.

I was at Derby when we lost 2-1 in the promotion year - gosh, how fortunes change in just a small amount of time. WE actually played well that day and didn't deserve to lose, but there seems a cavernous gap between the clubs at present. Have to say Mel Morris and Derby have speculated (like piggy Chansiri) and failed nearly as badly as our S6 lot (wry smile comes on face!)

I hope one of CW's 5 signings will be Brewster - we just need something a bit different at times and not convinced Moose will sort it again this year - what a waste lad, get yourself sorted out and start playing like you did in the golden patch you had last season.

UTB

For once when we played lower standard opposition it looked like it. We did indeed look Prem and they did indeed looked like Champ.

Attitude from all players was excellent- that team were told to press & boss and they did. We looked better in every department.

Standouts Billy Ben and Norwood.

Billy FFS I cannot think of a better senior pro than him ,talk about lead by example he was fantastic.

I’d hoped RND would have made a bigger impression. He had the one slip and looked tidy enough but not enough to suggest he’s close to being a solid option at LWB just yet. Championship loan is essential for him.

I do like the look of Zak Brunt though.

I am not sure what he did of anything really - maybe I was too harsh but seemed to be playing his own game (trying to run through 3 defenders when the easy pass was on) or not running unless the ball is played right to his feet. He is so much talent but at the moment unless he works harder (I am not saying run around like a maniac as accept that is not his game) and tries to do the basics well first - then Wilder will not play him much.

Its hard to judge Mousset on that game. I thought he started well was pressing and had good energy. Yes he ran down a few blind alleys but thats to be expected this early in the season. The problem for him is that he needs someone dropping into a 10 role like Mcg and Mcb to pick out his runs off the ball. It doesn't work with Sharp as they are too similar IMO. Moose began to get frustrated as the half wore on as our build up play in the first half was pedestrian. Derby had matched us up formation wise and were dropping deep restricting space. Without a Fleck or a Berge/Lundstram to break quickly from midfield he became more isolated as the half wore on.

Second half we were more high energy as a team moving the ball much quicker and began to cause Derby problems when we occasionally went direct down the middle. That would have suited Moose more but he wasn't on the pitch. Mcb added some height and again his flick ons would have been of benefit to Moose.

The main issue with him for me is his inability to last a game. There is a talent there but he needs to buy into the conditioning regime we impose on players. I'm not giving up on him yet because on his day he can cause the best defenders in the EPL problems.

The main frustration with La Moose is consistency in his play. He seems to want to do 'amazing' everytime he gets the ball. He's got to learn to make right decsions in the right areas. When to hold it up, when to release it and when to just be a decoy to create space. IMO he wont get away with a 4/10 for 60 minutes with a couple of gilt edged minutes of 10/10.

Pre season friendlies are a showcase for individuals to step up and say that No.x shirt thats mine I want it. Most of the players did this yesterday. Mousset on the other hand looked anything but and he needs to grow up and act like a professional.

Enjoyed your report DB, largely accurate.
Since most of the above posts are regarding Mousset for what it's worth imo his head looked elsewhere, but i think we will end up keeping him unless a deal somewhere else in in the offing.

I only saw the first half, but Slaters running and positioning off the ball was impressive i thought, he didn't do too much but to me he looked as though he was getting a good understanding of how we play and where he needs to run.

We desperately need one or two strikers depending on if we play "one up top" or not.

Bash is - well just Bash!
I am beginning to like Jack Robinson, I wouldn't mind seeing him as an attacking midfielder, he has the attributes to defend and attack, he's a strong lad.

I only saw Bryan actually come onto the pitch, (we had an appointment), my first thought was "he's a big lad"
and by all accounts didn't disgrace himself, I'd be really pleased for the lad if he came good as i do for all the "underdogs"
in the squad - in fact I want all the players to come good!

I love Osborn, but he rinds me a bit of Bash' he runs around a bit like a "headless chicken" but always ends up in the right place at the right time, he's going to push for a starting place this season, no doubt!

RND wasn't involved as much as i would have expected but didn't disgrace himself - I thought Slater caught the eye a bit more, and that's what you need to do to catch the mangers eye.

Everybody else was OK and did what you would expect them to do.
I'm not convinced that we are "the real deal" yet - we need those recruits!
I'll just finish on Baldock - I just love the way he doesn't take any prisoners!! - expect him to get a few red cards this season.

I’d hoped RND would have made a bigger impression. He had the one slip and looked tidy enough but not enough to suggest he’s close to being a solid option at LWB just yet. Championship loan is essential for him.

I do like the look of Zak Brunt though.

Brunt caught my eye as well. Will be interesting to see what we do with him this season.

Back
Top Bottom