Incoming? Defoe and Long

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I mentioned Defoe in the shoutbox the other day as someone out there not getting much game time at the moment, would be quality...wages I guess would be the tricky part, but on loan means only negotiating part paying them.

:)

You know what, someone like Defoe could be a fantastic signing for the last few months of the season, a forward who could quite easily bang in a lot of goals would make a big difference to our team.

You know what, someone like Defoe could be a fantastic signing for the last few months of the season, a forward who could quite easily bang in a lot of goals would make a big difference to our team.

And the Blades style of play means he wouldnt be running himself ragged either especially, just put himself in and around the box in the right areas and he will be nipping onto those low cut passes in from either side.

Respect both players, have had great careers. For the right amount of money I would take either on a 1 year deal.

Depends. If they want mega money forget it.

Defoe takes Sharps minutes away. At a time when he's playing his best football. No thanks for me.

Long would at least match Leons goal record this year! He's not played regularly in years. He'd be a big gamble.

With either of these, having not played this season it would take a month or so to get them going. The signing of Will Hoskins by Wilson stands out as one of the most stupid bits of loan business we have ever done given his injury and lack of game time that season. Let's not do the same again please.

Respect both players, have had great careers. For the right amount of money I would take either on a 1 year deal.

Depends. If they want mega money forget it.
Both are on good wages beyond what we would pay, both seem surplus to requirements both could be in line for a paid up contract so able to negotiate with other clubs .With the paid up deals both maybe content wit lower wage as I can't see any premiership club taking them so there could be some mileage in this.
Here again .we have to trust Wider.

Well if we got them both on loan for 50% contribution to wages it’d probably match our wage structure. Maybe both a bit over the hill now but would still give us more options up front.

But the No.10 is the make or break signing for me.

Yes but it’s Jermaine Defoe so I’m gonna go with signing Jermaine Defoe
I can't imagine a situation where we coukd afford a large % of his wage. But if we did, you have to ask me that would be all our money spent. I'd rather find a replacement for Leon than Billy - in my view that upgrade would be much bugger than the one from Billy to Defoe

I’d be delighted if we signed Defoe. We obviously could not afford a player like him in there prime (or near it) , and there’s no point getting another player similar in ability to what we have. Half season loan, if it gets us promoted we will have the money to sign a proper long term striker, if it doesn’t back to the freebies.

Oh and we would have to get crouch if this happened.

That's the Shane Long who is probably about to undergo ankle surgery according to Southampton yesterday.......great journalistic work there Biggsy!

I'm not sure Defoe is the answer, although he fits the "Mitrovic" type of signing Fulham made last year that fired them to promotion so the idea is good but maybe the wrong individual, can't really see what he would bring in over Billy.

IMO the No10 is the key signing, don't get me wrong I love Duffy but we just need that bit more....a Duffy with a bit more pace....Freeman would be the one for me.

And up top a big physical presence, (ala Mitrovic) to cause havoc and frighten the shit out of opposing defenders, making chances for our Billy to convert.....I'm still hoping the Andy Carroll whispers may have some foundation.

Defoe replaces Billy for me, don't see them playing together. Reckon he'd score goals, but he'd cost an asbolute wedge and hasn't played for a good 7/8 months.

Long, whilst having an utterly garbage scoring record is the one that makes more sense. He's a worker, a presser, a little wasp and in our style of football would fit in well.

Wouldn't be disappointed with either.

Gallacher still has no game time this season....will we be back in for him?

Shane Long - the striker that doesn't score goals.
Thing is - according to Sky's pre-match stats on Friday - Billy's "goals per shot" ratio is currently the best in the Championship by a distance. We have a proven goalscorer - we need to get the ball to him in the right areas more often.

As much as I love Billy, there are a few times he doesn't get shots away because he's not quite quick enough or strong enough. Long and Defoe aren't huge upgrades but they're upgrades nevertheless and would be a big help to the team.

Back
Top Bottom