Deane and Fjortoft

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fast forward two decades and everyone wants to offload the teams brightest young prospect in years cos it's "good business".

Have Sheffield United fans degraded into a vacuous set of shitbags?

You betchya'.
hardly the same deane and ffjortoft had scored 20 odd goals and had the experience
brooks has 2 and in many ways is still raw

If we get over 10m plus add ons in out current poiition its simply good business

but doubt hes going anywhere in January
as to himbeing worth the entry fee on his own ,,, not yet

hardly the same deane and ffjortoft had scored 20 odd goals and had the experience
brooks has 2 and in many ways is still raw

If we get over 10m plus add ons in out current poiition its simply good business

but doubt hes going anywhere in January
as to himbeing worth the entry fee on his own ,,, not yet

It most certainly would not be good business unless the £10m + was given to Tufty to spend on the first team squad .....

And do you think (even in your wildest imaginings) that would happen ? There's more chance of me getting a steamy threesome with Kelly Brook and Scarlett Johannsen this weekend :rolleyes:

That's why Tufty doesn't want to sell ....

UTB & FTP

January 16th 1998, twenty years ago today, we sold them both on the same day. What an awful bit of business that was. Spackman had got a great squad playing quality football that had a good chance of getting promotion. As it was our promotion bid faded and we didn't reach the promised land of the Premier League until 2006. I would argue it is only now that we have assembled a squad of players that play as good football as the Spackman squad.
Remember being on the away end at the Manor Ground in Oxford and going 3 up in first 20 mins, front foot football like today, very happy days. Interesting Spackman seemed to never recover as a manager but certainly got that team going

Good players no doubt. But I'm afraid in my mind, Charles Green was and forevermore shall be an unmitigated twat.

Oh I agree entirely, and his boss too, but I was just balancing the Spackman argument. I was a little more ITK in those days and the person who told me that CG was pulling Spackman’s strings could scarcely have been closer to the situation!

Deano’s return was nothing to do with Spackman either.

Charles Green, you're a wanker, rained down from the kop, as did Charles Green he picks the team.

He certainly decided which players to recruit and may well have had his say on selection as well...and the myth that was Spineless Spackers permitted it.

It most certainly would not be good business unless the £10m + was given to Tufty to spend on the first team squad .....

And do you think (even in your wildest imaginings) that would happen ? There's more chance of me getting a steamy threesome with Kelly Brook and Scarlett Johannsen this weekend :rolleyes:

That's why Tufty doesn't want to sell ....

UTB & FTP
IN THE SAME WAY TUFTY WASNT BEING ALLOWED TO BRING IN THE 4 HE HAS

I think the shock was all the more because we were a great team, playing great football and seemingly going places. If a new, top signing had been announced it wouldn't have been a great surprise. It was just so totally unexpected.
Not wanting to lessen the actions of a board that should have done much more to prevent the sales, but I do think the two players get off lightly. Maybe as fans we want to remember them fondly, especially Deane, who is a bit of a footballing hero to many, but it has to be remembered that they both wanted to leave us.
I doubt that either player would admit that their move was a mistake, or even not the best move in the end, but it is a pity that we didn't create a desire in the players to see it through with us.

Good players no doubt. But I'm afraid in my mind, Charles Green was and forevermore shall be an unmitigated twat.

I agree mate ...... its fair to say that I despised that man as much as anyone did but I think I'm over it now ...... :rolleyes:

......... I just hope that he's serving a 30 year sentence in a Phillipino jail with a requirement to play "bitch" for his cellmate Diego the horse twice a day !! :eek::D;)

That would just about be justice !! :)

UTB & FTP

I remember Dean Saunders being signed, before Christmas I think, and I remember thinking "What have we signed him for?" given that he was on very high wages, was well into his 30s and we already had Deane, Fjortoft, Taylor, Marcelo, Katchouro, (was Andy Walker still there?). To be fair though, Saunders was a cracking player for us.

I remember Dean Saunders being signed, before Christmas I think, and I remember thinking "What have we signed him for?" given that he was on very high wages, was well into his 30s and we already had Deane, Fjortoft, Taylor, Marcelo, Katchouro, (was Andy Walker still there?). To be fair though, Saunders was a cracking player for us.
I read somewhere, years ago, in some kind of Blades trivia thing that we could have signed Saunders pre Derby, possibly even before he went to Oxford but the board would sanction the fee. From memory it was £50-£75k kind of mark.

I read somewhere, years ago, in some kind of Blades trivia thing that we could have signed Saunders pre Derby, possibly even before he went to Oxford but the board would sanction the fee. From memory it was £50-£75k kind of mark.

Heard the same, him, Houghton & Aldridge was the rumour i heard.

Story also of us not signing Alan Hansen for some reason,when we had the chance,when he was at Patrick Thistle

I am disappointed in your unduly lenient assessment of this person.

You need to study more closely your copy of 'Tyler Durden's Book of Phrases and Sayings 'to help you to provide a more accurate and colourful description of the pond life in question.

( I understand that some copies of Crab Publications snide version of this masterpiece are still in circulation, but without their backs, which have fallen off as you would expect )

I am disappointed in your unduly lenient assessment of this person.

You need to study more closely your copy of 'Tyler Durden's Book of Phrases and Sayings 'to help you to provide a more accurate and colourful description of the pond life in question.

( I understand that some copies of Crab Publications snide version of this masterpiece are still in circulation, but without their backs, which have fallen off as you would expect )

I wrote it before the 9pm watershed. The after 9pm version involved a Wicker Man, 250'000 red hot pokers, and a specially created circle of hell just for him.

As for the books, of course you would expect this, In the interests of the environment* the books are biodegradable and as such, the falling to pieces thing is a design feature that runs through Crab Industries like a stick of Blackpool Rock.

*this has almost nothing to do Crab Furnishings (a division of Crab Industries) "burn your old furniture for free" offer.

Story also of us not signing Alan Hansen for some reason,when we had the chance,when he was at Patrick Thistle
Yep that was in the same book.

I think the plan was to play Saunders and a kid called Mark Bright together

I can't remember if it was the game after Deane/Fjortoft left or after Spackman walked, but Garth Crooks tried doing a TV interview in the Cricketers before one of the Saturday afternoon games (talking to a bunch of lads at a table, anyone on here by any chance?).

I have quite fond memories of that afternoon, he got his interview and it was shown on TV, but it took him an age, and he left with a scowl on his face (thanks to the piss-taking, pissed up punters). A recurring theme was him asking for quiet, met with the suggestion he got a round in for the lads :D

Today's Star retro sports section is a double reminder of why we worry about what the Board might do. It not only records the infamous Deane/Fjortoft sales, but coinciding with the centenary of Jimmy Hagan's birth, it recalls the fact that he turned down a move across the city when the Board were prepared to accept the money offered. It will take several solid JTWs to help us reduce anxiety levels.

Need to set some facts straight in here. We were not "well placed" for automatic promotion had we not sold the two - we could have made a push for it but the way some are talking in here all we would have had to do is keep the two and stroll into the PL.

On Nov 4th we were second, two points behind Forest, with two games in hand.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-1/04-november-1997/

By 16th Jan we had dropped to 5th, 8 behind Forest, 5 behind Boro, with no games in hand at all.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-1/16-january-1998/

The rot has already set in, exacerbated by losing Whitehouse at Port Vale, with a run of W4, D6, L3 in the 13 games in between.

Clearly the sale didn't help (we didn't manage to win back to back league games for the rest of the season) but we were far from romping away with the league. The cup run papered over a LOT of cracks.

Need to set some facts straight in here. We were not "well placed" for automatic promotion had we not sold the two - we could have made a push for it but the way some are talking in here all we would have had to do is keep the two and stroll into the PL.

On Nov 4th we were second, two points behind Forest, with two games in hand.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-1/04-november-1997/

By 16th Jan we had dropped to 5th, 8 behind Forest, 5 behind Boro, with no games in hand at all.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-1/16-january-1998/

The rot has already set in, exacerbated by losing Whitehouse at Port Vale, with a run of W4, D6, L3 in the 13 games in between.

Clearly the sale didn't help (we didn't manage to win back to back league games for the rest of the season) but we were far from romping away with the league. The cup run papered over a LOT of cracks.
Definitely did.
The infamous 2 4 home defeat at the hands of WBA, was a clear indication to me that promotion was not coming. Wilder in midfield, Traianos Dellas at the back.

when you compare us that season and wednesday this they are very similar

only difference is they kept their 2 strikers and deteriorated

Definitely did.
The infamous 2 4 home defeat at the hands of WBA, was a clear indication to me that promotion was not coming. Wilder in midfield, Traianos Dellas at the back.

Euro 2004 Winning Centre back Tri Dellas???

Back
Top Bottom