Deane and Fjortoft

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
January 16th 1998, twenty years ago today, we sold them both on the same day. What an awful bit of business that was. Spackman had got a great squad playing quality football that had a good chance of getting promotion. As it was our promotion bid faded and we didn't reach the promised land of the Premier League until 2006. I would argue it is only now that we have assembled a squad of players that play as good football as the Spackman squad.

January 16th 1998, twenty years ago today, we sold them both on the same day. What an awful bit of business that was. Spackman had got a great squad playing quality football that had a good chance of getting promotion. As it was our promotion bid faded and we didn't reach the promised land of the Premier League until 2006. I would argue it is only now that we have assembled a squad of players that play as good football as the Spackman squad.
I put them aside for years, only went to maybe half a dozen games until being drawn back in Clough's 2nd season as I was so disgusted at the lack of ambition.

Are you sure I remember them being anouced as sold just after we’d played a game on the Saturday. I realised it was about 20 years ago in January but not the specific date.

Bleedin hell so long ago, I would not have gone if it wasn't for having a season ticket the following season, selling both was criminal even if we still had Gareth Taylor and Marcello.

Fast forward two decades and everyone wants to offload the teams brightest young prospect in years cos it's "good business".

Have Sheffield United fans degraded into a vacuous set of shitbags?

You betchya'.

I have to agree with the underlying sentiment here, if not the overly colourful language used to express it and, at least, you could have said ' some' Sheffield United fans.

I must admit that I have been both surprised and dismayed by the number of posts saying " If we can get (insert figure) million for him then get him sold"

And then what ? Do they not realise that this is a player who can not only make the difference between us winning or losing a match, but also has that rare quality of being one of the few we have ever had at the Lane to be worth the ticket price alone just to have the enjoyment of watching him play ?

Etched on my brain. Read it on Ceefax when I got home from school.

It's football !! players move on,owners and directors move on,the only thing that remains constant are the fans.We support the club and always will and we have put up with some real shit over the years,but we come back for more !!

Remember it like yesterday 1973B , very good side that ironically played same formation with two attacking wing backs , I think we were 4 points behind Forest who were top with two games in hand & Magic Mike decided we’d have a fire sale .. total cunt .. very good side good mixture of of age ,youth and Kendall inheritee’s that Spackman assembled that I think would have got us up ...ahh well ..

Remember being on holiday in Gran Canaria when I read about this. (Newspapers in those days. No internet).

Can't believe where those 20 years have gone. As a 42 year old full of ambitions and ideas and now can't wait for retirement. Bloody hell. From an old fart to you younger ones - make the most of all your years.

Wonder if Spackman has any regrets about the last 20 years. Could he have become a top level manager if he'd worked at a club with the same ambitions? He never really moved on in football management after us.

Do they not realise that this is a player who can not only make the difference between us winning or losing a match, but also has that rare quality of being one of the few we have ever had at the Lane to be worth the ticket price alone just to have the enjoyment of watching him play ?

Yeah, but if he 'wants to go', then there's 'nothing we can do about it', apparently.

pommpey

All this followed by the weeks of "we've bid £3m for Hamilton Ricard" bollocks.

Strange how we bid 3 and Boro got him for £2m. Current board get some stick but they are nothing like the shit we used to have.

Don't sell Brooks ffs. He's got the potential to be amazing. Let's see it for us for a bit. I don't care about the money, we could never afford what he could be and I want to see something I'll remember in 30 years!

It wasn’t Spackman’s squad. He was a truly awful manager.

Remember being on holiday in Gran Canaria when I read about this. (Newspapers in those days. No internet).

Can't believe where those 20 years have gone. As a 42 year old full of ambitions and ideas and now can't wait for retirement. Bloody hell. From an old fart to you younger ones - make the most of all your years.

Wonder if Spackman has any regrets about the last 20 years. Could he have become a top level manager if he'd worked at a club with the same ambitions? He never really moved on in football management after us.

Ask Millwall and Barnsley. He was rubbish. There was nothing to stop him becoming a ‘top level manager’ but incompetence. He did not complete a full season at any of his three clubs. There’s no mystery. He wasn’t good enough.

I have to agree with the underlying sentiment here, if not the overly colourful language used to express it and, at least, you could have said ' some' Sheffield United fans.

I must admit that I have been both surprised and dismayed by the number of posts saying " If we can get (insert figure) million for him then get him sold"

And then what ? Do they not realise that this is a player who can not only make the difference between us winning or losing a match, but also has that rare quality of being one of the few we have ever had at the Lane to be worth the ticket price alone just to have the enjoyment of watching him play ?

I remember that day like it was yesterday!! Deane to Benfica, Fjortoft to Barnsley!!! wasnt the excuse from the board "that you all wanted to keep Taylor".
In relation to Brooks though these two were regular, established first team players, not a young kid on the fringes. I appreciate Brooks has potential to be an absolute star, but it could always go the other way so if someone offered silly money I would take it IF some/most could be invested for the here and now.
As you said he can be the difference between us winning losing but personally when he has been introduced to a game we have a little spark but also look weaker when not in possession, if you get what I mean?Just my opinion though.

Remember it like yesterday 1973B , very good side that ironically played same formation with two attacking wing backs , I think we were 4 points behind Forest who were top with two games in hand & Magic Mike decided we’d have a fire sale .. total cunt .. very good side good mixture of of age ,youth and Kendall inheritee’s that Spackman assembled that I think would have got us up ...ahh well ..

Spackman didn’t assemble the squad. He’d never heard of Borbokis or Dellas until they walked through the door. They were scouted and signed by Charles Green, like it or not.

Spackman was a puppet. He remains a Bladey myth. A useless article with no aptitude for management at all.

Fast forward two decades and everyone wants to offload the teams brightest young prospect in years cos it's "good business".

You betchya'.

I haven't degraded, I've always been a shitbag.

Spackman didn’t assemble the squad. He’d never heard of Borbokis or Dellas until they walked through the door. They were scouted and signed by Charles Green, like it or not.

Spackman was a puppet. He remains a Bladey myth. A useless article with no aptitude for management at all.

Good players no doubt. But I'm afraid in my mind, Charles Green was and forevermore shall be an unmitigated twat.

Taylor’s goal tally following the Deano/JAF sale: 3.
Didn't say it was a good decision, but thats the comments I remember from McDonald. We had Taylor on loan, banging them in. Sold Deane and Fjortoft and Taylor when signed fully and the main man went off the boil

Yeah, but if he 'wants to go', then there's 'nothing we can do about it', apparently.

Sadly things have changed for the worse in 20 years. Back then not all players had agents and it was clubs that sold players. Now player power is much more evident and if Arsenal can't keep Sanchez or Liverpool Coutinho, we have little chance with Brooks.

Naturally he will want to play at the highest level possible so it is an issue of 'when' rather than 'if we sell'. If he has grounded parents and a sensible agent, then we might keep him one more season. Realistically no budding star 21 year old will willingly play in the second tier, when it seems clubs like Spurs and Liverpool are in for him.

This is not particulalry a defence of McCabe, more a pessemistic/realistic view of the world today. How much longer do you think Fulham will keep Sessegnon?

'Twas ever thus.

Back
Top Bottom