Deane & Agana best Blades front 2 ever?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

haich1889

Len Badger my 1st hero
Reaction score

My opinion: Deane & Agana were the best forward pairing I have seen for the Blades. Better than Sharp & Leon because the played together more & their individual skills complimented each other brilliantly.
My top 5 pairings: (I was only 3 when Birchenall & Jones were sold)
1. Deane & Agana
2. Sharp & Clarke
3. Deane & Fjortoft
4. Edward's & Bob Hatton
5. Edward's & Stainrod (although this partnership was criminally cut short by a serially unambitious board, their partnership potential was huge at the time)

My opinion: Deane & Agana were the best forward pairing I have seen for the Blades. Better than Sharp & Leon because the played together more & their individual skills complimented each other brilliantly.
1. Deane & Agana
2. Sharp & Clarke
3. Deane & Fjortoft
4. Edward's & Bob Hatton
5. Edward's & Stainrod (although this partnership was criminally cut short by a serially unambitious board, their partnership potential was huge at the time)

Sharp and Didsy in the top 5 for me

Tough one this, as an older Blade, my initial reaction was Jones and Birchenall. However, if you take into account the fact that the defenders skills and speed of latter years does beg the question of just how effective those two would be today. Deane and Agana terrorised some good defences. Plus it seams unthinkable not to include the legend that is Sharp. Mmmm.. Can you leave this one with me a bit?

1. Deane & Agana
2. Sharp & Clarke
3. Deane & Fjortoft
4. Edward's & Bob Hatton

Sharp & McGoldrick certainly beats Sharp & Clarke and probably beats Deane & Agana for me personally. Based on who I’ve seen:

1. Sharp & McGoldrick
2. Deane & Agana
3. Kabba & Shipperley
4. Hulse & Steadinho
5. Deane & Fjortoft (albeit more two good players playing alongside each other rather than a partnership)

Some had more guile, some had more finesse, but for pure edge of the seat raw striking power, Deane and Agana together in full flow were a sight to behold. The 5-2 at Leicester summed them up, 2 great forwards dovetailing to perfection and terrorising a defence into submission. A real shame Agana's injuries caught up with him and we never saw him at his best in the top flight, but I'll always remember them fondly as individuals and a partnership

Jones and Birchenall
I don't think I could call it between Jones and Birchenall and Dean and Agana.Both sets were great in their own way.If Billy had a decent partner I think it would be between three sets of partners not two but I feel it is to late for Billy to have such a partnership.

1. Deane & Agana
2. Sharp & Clarke
3. Deane & Fjortoft
4. Edward's & Bob Hatton

Deane and Fjortoft in number 2 IMO even though it was only for 2/3's of a season and not far behind D & A for pure quality. Fuck you Charles Green :mad:

Sharp and Didzy also better than Sharp and Clarke IMO.

Pound for Pound ie relative to level then Ched and Cresswell must be up there as well.

They are the scorers since 1950s. Harry Johnson scored 201, Jimmy Dunne scored 143, Fred Tunstall 129, Billy Gillespie 127, Joe Kitchen 105 and Arthur Brown 100
I saw those 3, but not the others, so i can't comment on the partnerships. Still why is there a no statue for Harry Johnson or Jimmy Dunne's 169 goals in 173 appearances

1. Deane & Agana
2. Sharp & Clarke
3. Deane & Fjortoft
4. Edward's & Bob Hatton

Agree those two (Edwards and Stainrod) should have been kept but i'd say it was down to the idiot in charge of the team at the time (Haslam) rather than the board. Summer 1978 the board had shelled out £160k on Sabella, around £100k on Finneston, £90k for Matthews, £50k on Anderson and to be followed during the season with another £100k on Tibbit and £30k on MacPhail. I'd say it was more a case of Haslam getting rid of all the decent young players (we could add Varadi, Hamson and Benjamin to that list) and replacing them with a load of expensive flops, than (for once) a lack of ambition by the board.

Agree those two (Edwards and Stainrod) should have been kept but i'd say it was down to the idiot in charge of the team at the time (Haslam) rather than the board. Summer 1978 the board had shelled out £160k on Sabella, around £100k on Finneston, £90k for Matthews, £50k on Anderson and to be followed during the season with another £100k on Tibbit and £30k on MacPhail. I'd say it was more a case of Haslam getting rid of all the decent young players (we could add Varadi, Hamson and Benjamin to that list) and replacing them with a load of expensive flops, than (for once) a lack of ambition by the board.

The 5 young strikers sold in 1978 and 1979 by Haslam, and the number of league goals they scored after they were sold:

Simon Stainrod: 130 goals
Bobby Campbell: 158 goals
Keith Edwards: 227 goals (luckily, 114 were for us, after we re-signed him)
Imre Varadi - 147 goals
Ian Benjamin - 124 goals

As I have said before, there is a good argument that Haslam did more damage to us in his managerial spell than any other manager in our history, and given some of the people McCabe appointed that's a high bar to clear.

Those two were the best I’ve seen, even though I was a nipper at the time. It didn’t really matter who else was in the team, because just that pairing could damage any opposition.

Good blokes too. Which, as Wilder’s team has shown, really does matter for the club to succeed.

Not in my top 5 but minor/unnecessary mentions for:
  • Walker & Taylor – they were a very effective pairing for 95/96, and for much of the following till JAF arrived. I feel Andy Walker is often forgotten by us – really liked him as a striker.
  • Porter & Miller – the only genuinely effective pairing we had in 2013/13. Blackman may well have been a better player than both, but this pair seemed to have a good understanding. Sadly brought to an abrupt end by Miller’s injury.
  • Saunders & Katman – they probably only had 4 or 5 games together, but I thought it was a partnership that saw success and had promise. Sadly brought to an abrupt end by cashing in on Saunders.

Has to be Deane & Agana for me, as a strike pair they had everything, power, pace, an eye for a goal out of nothing, they knew each others games so well, & a lot of skill to go with it.
Although not an obvious partnership I am sure I remember John Tudor & Woody dovetailing quite well for a couple of years, Colin Addison was probably Tudor's real strike partner & he weighed in with a few too.

I can only go on what I’ve seen (late 80s onwards), in which case it’s obviously Deane and Agana.

Even if you were thinking of constructing a dream pair from two players at their peak, I don’t think swapping out Agana for Beattie, Sharp, McGoldrick or whoever would necessarily be any better in terms of a pure partnership. Absolute perfection at their peak; Agana’s first at Leicester sums up the telepathy and pure talent they had between them.

Back
Top Bottom