Deadbat's Championship Season Preview 17/18

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Chanpionship Preview 2016/17 (incorporating Ins and Outs)

Well here goes nothing….every year I stick my neck out and predict where all sides will finish in United’s respective league and this time it is the Championship.

Last year in League One, I got 4 of the top 6 and predicted 2 of the 3 that went up also. I had United 6th so was off on that one and the only one I did not predict for promotion – got Bolton and Millwall right. I also got 3 of the 3 relegated teams. I was miles off on Fleetwood though and did not feel Coventry would have been quite so bad.

As for this year, I think the league is quite open. There are no Newcastle’s in the league and I do not see one team running away with it. It really is a case of any team could beat anyone.

However, when you see the money spent by likes of Middlesbrough, Villa, Wolves (17 million) and even Bristol City (5 mill+ for a player) it makes you realise the resources clubs are chucking at it. Reassuringly they are sides like Huddersfield and Reading who spent little and did well. So it does not mean everything.

I expect Boro to do better than Sunderland and Hull who I feel will be quite a bit off the top having lost key men and having ownership questions. I expect Wednesday (sadly), Fulham to be in the mix again but Reading might not be as strong. I also feel likes of Derby, Villa and Wolves will have better seasons this time. Down near the bottom, you feel it will be tough for likes of Burton and Barnsley to replicate last year and also fear for Bolton out of the promoted sides as their style is quite predictable. I also think bigger sides such as Ipswich, QPR may struggle.

As for us? Who knows. We could be anywhere from flirting with the playoffs to a solid middle to two thirds down. I am known as a pessimist but I cannot see us being in a relegation scrap. I think Wilder’s high demands and the way he has the team believing in what they do means that we will be fine in that regard. I would have liked a few more ‘wow’ signings but seems the money is not quite there for that sadly so it may be a season of gulp…consolidation. That would not be a bad thing after the last 6 years.

So here are my predictions complete with the ins and outs over the summer for our Championship rivals (I may have missed odd transfer but hope most is there). Hope I have got most of the information correct – apologies if not.

Scroll down for bonus predictions for the ‘other’ leagues and competitions!

-------

1) Middlesbrough

Ins: Cyrus Christie (Derby), Jonny Howson (Norwich), Britt Assombalonga (Forest), Darren Randolph (West Ham), George Miller (Bury), Martin Braithwaite (Toulouse), Connor Roberts (Swansea), Ashley Fletcher (West Ham)

Outs: Jordan Rhodes (Wednesday), Cristhian Stuani (Girona), Brad Guzan (Atlanta United), James Husband (Norwich), Viktor Fischer (FSV Mainz), Bernardo Espinosa (Girona), Antonio Barragan (Real Betis - loan), Julien De Sart (Zulte Wargem – loan), Carlos De Pena, Victor Valdes

They came down with barely a whimper which surprised me as they had some good young talent and seemed to have enough to do as well as say Burnley did. They did not concede a lot but could not score and in the end they lacked the quality to compete. Questions carried on about the manager who of course eventually left. Steve Agnew did not get much of a response and they have a new man t the helm now. They have the bulk of a squad that came down but also that came up the year before. Ben Gibson is still there and they have added some real Championship experience in the likes of Christie, Howson and Assombalonga. Add in mainstays like Friend, Leadbitter, Clayton, Forshaw and Ayala and they have the nous and know how at this level.

New manager Gary Monk will be anxious to prove Leeds were wrong not to keep him and you feel he has done enough in both jobs at Swansea and Ellan Road to suggest there is a good young manager in there. If they start well with no hangover you feel these could be the side to beat with a squad packed with experience. They have 5 million+ strikers in Ashley Fletcher and Rudy Gestede that may struggle to get a game. That shows the striking options they have. Their miserly defence remains relatively unchanged. They have ratter sin midfield who will get stuck in and turn the ball over the other way. For me, the team to beat.

Key Player: Britt Assombalonga – He has at times looked devastating but has rarely remained fit and that means there is still a question mark over such a fee (14 million!) but if he gets the service and does remain fit you think he could score a lot of goals for a team that should be right up at the top. Gibson could be the best defender at this level if he remains.

2) Aston Villa

Ins: Glenn Whelan (Stoke), Ahmed Elmohamady (Hull), John Terry (Chelsea), Sam Johnstone (Man Utd – loan), Chris Samba,

Outs: Jordan Veretout (Fiorentina), Carlos Sanchez (Fiorentina), Libor Kozak, Nathan Baker (Bristol City)

The squad is massive and needs pruning and you do wonder about the size of the wage bill and FFP but they now have a manager Steve Bruce that has been around but is relatively successful wherever he goes. He has got teams out of this division quite a few times and knows the city well. You feel with a more settled pre-season and him getting some experienced players in like Whelan and Terry, that they will be much better. They still have question marks over certain players with young Jack Grealish still not really growing up and Ross McCormack seemingly on the way out (if he can get out of his gates at home).

At the back along with Terry, they have Elmohamady, Chester, Taylor, Richards, Elphick, De Laet, Hutton and many of these were Premier League players until recently. You look at the midfield and they have Whelan, Lansbury, Hourihane, Grealish, Jedinak, Adomah, Gardner, Bacuna and it is packed full of quality. Even up top they have Hogan who came in for a lot of money and Agbonlahor who has been around forever to supplant the talented Kodija. On paper, they look an extremely strong outfit but flunked badly last time with managerial changes needed to halt the slide.

You cannot see them doing anywhere near as badly and even though Terry and Whelan may be on their last few years, they still should have enough to ensure the side will not let up and have collapses like they did last year. If they improve the home form and get the crowd on side early on, expect momentum to see them be competing at the top.

Key Player: Jonathan Kodija – Scored 19 goals in a team that struggled at times last season. With an improved squad and a settled management team, you figure he could be right at the top of the scoring charts. A player who can score with both feet, head and takes penalties, he seems to be a real all-around striker. Plays off the last man but can score poachers goals as well as long range efforts. Packs a real shot on him too. Villa will count on him to be their talisman up top.

==================================================================================

3) Sheff Wed

Ins: Jordan Rhodes (Middlesbrough), George Boyd (Burnley)

Outs: Urby Emanuelson (Utrecht), Filipe Melo (Chaves), Vincent Sasso (Belenenses), Claude Dielna

They missed out again in the playoffs and many fans were split on whether manager Carlos Carvahal should be back but the duffle coated Portuguese is back at the helm for another assault. In theory, they will fancy their chances as there are no real powerhouses like last season and they have a relatively unchanged side. They are strong at the back with Lees, Loovens and the underrated Hutchinson being key to the lack of goals conceded and they have an abundance of strikers with Rhodes, Fletcher, Hooper and Winnall but are no closer to knowing the best two and keeping all four happy might be a challenge. Some have flattered to deceive and Abdi and Reach did not quite have the impact that the Owls would have hoped for substantial outlays and wages.

They have some good performers for this level in the likes of Bannan and Lee who do the engine work and also weigh in with goals and assists. George Boyd might not be a glamourous signing but he is as hard working as they come. The fans may be disappointed they have not spent more but they were not far off last season and whilst others have strengthened, they will know the strong defence and organisation will ensure they will be tough to beat again. Fans hope the shackles may come off a bit more and that they attack teams more, especially at home. The owners have spent a lot of money and will feel that this year they need to see some return. If they fail again it will be 18 years without being in the top flight which is the longest by some way in their history and the pressure may be too much for the affable Carvahal.

Key Player: Fernando Forestieri – He may have missed the penalty that ended their latest attempt for the Premier League but he is the man that gives them the extra quality…the x factor. He dives, moans and spends a lot of time on the floor, but he is a very skilful performer and has the class needed to create and take goals. For all his criticism, he is the one player on the Wednesday side that other teams fear when he gets on the ball. His loyalty may be in question as he effectively went on strike last season to engineer either a move or a better deal at Hillsborough; but you feel his performances will go a long way to seeing whether this year is Wednesday’s year.

4) Fulham

Ins: Ibrahima Cisse (Standard Liege), Marcelo Djalo (CD Lugo), Oliver Norwood (Brighton – loan), Tomas Kalas (Chelsea – loan)

Outs: Scott Malone (Huddersfield), Richard Stearman (Sheff Utd), Jozabed Sanchez (Celta Viga), Lasse Christensen (Brondby), Jesse Joronen (AC Horsens), Larnell Cole, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Scott Parker, Cameron Burgess (Scunthorpe),

Maybe the most attractive team to watch last season, they scored a lot of goals but also let a lot of goals in. They had full backs that bombed before, creative midfielders and a mix of strikers at the top of the field. They had a lovely style and really pushed on after Xmas and just ran out of steam at the end but many felt they would win the playoffs so their limp performances against Reading were a bit of a surprise. Jokanovic rarely stays as manager long but he seems settled enough at Craven Cottage although interest came from former club Watford and Palace in the summer.

Losing Scott Malone will be a blow as the full backs were so important to the play but young talent Ryan Sessegnon remains in the other full back berth. They have added Djalo to supplant the backline but the midfield remains the big strength of this side. Stefan Johansen scored 11 goals from midfield and with the excellent Tom Cairney and the creative former Blade Kevin McDonald, added to newcomer the imposing Cisse from Standard Liege and there will not be many better midfields at this level. Expect more from Chelsea loanee Lucas Piazon this time around who has extended his loan at the Cottage but they will get goals from the pacey Sone Aluko who will be expected to profit from the aforementioned creativity from behind him.

They probably need another striker with Chris Martin going back to his parent club and a bit more depth but overall the way Jokanovic has them attacking teams means they will continue to be attractive to watch and also outscore many teams due to this approach.

Key Player: Tom Cairney – An excellent box to box midfielder. Can do a bit of everything. Scored 12 goals but was at the heart of many things they did well last season. Fulham have done well to retain him as he is entering his prime and will need to be up there to stave off Premier League interest.

5) Derby (promoted in the Playoffs beating Sheff Wed in the final)

Ins: Curtis Davies (Hull), Tom Huddlestone (Hull), Andre Wisdom (Liverpool)

Outs: Tom Ince (Huddersfield), Will Hughes (Watford), Cyrus Christie (Middlesbrough), Alefe Santos (Yeovil), Abdoul Camara (Guingamp)

Got it badly wrong with the managerial appointments last season although it was more of a surprise Nigel Pearson did not work out than the returning Steve McClaren, that on the face of it seemed a puzzling reappointment. Gary Rowett knows the club and was ridiculously sacked from Birmingham. He has done well at both St Andrews and previously at Burton and you feel this was a safe hire. It was too late for him to turn it around last season.

They seemed to have always been there or thereabout for the last few years but then after losing in the playoff final after dominating QPR, they then missed out on the last day of the top 6 and then fell further away last year. They do not have exactly a young squad and another squad that seems very top heavy and the amount of wages going out must be perilously close to the FFP regulations. However, the squad is packed full of experience and quality still. They have lost Will Hughes and Tom Ince but have Chris Martin returning as well as former hero Tom Huddlestone. Andre Wisdom and Curtis Davies give them physical presence at the back but you expect it will the mainstays such as Carson, Keogh, Johnson, and Martin that will still dictate how far they go. You look at the striking options in Martin, Nugent, Bent, Vydra, Nugent, Weimann, Russell and Blackman and it makes it a real puzzle how they were not higher up last year although the decision to let Martin go to a rival in Fulham was equally baffling.

They seem to have power and pace in key areas and you sense they will do much better this season. Huddlestone will come in and quarter back play and with Keogh, Davies, Shackell and Pearce at the back; they should be relatively tight in this area. With the above strikers, you sense that Rowett will find a pairing that should see them score a lot more goals this season.

Key Player: Chris Martin – A player I have always liked. He is a bit of a plodder but the ball sticks when it comes to him and he does score goals. He is a proper target man who allows others to play off him. I expect him to have a real resurgence this season with the likes of Bent and Nugent profiting from him as Rowett gets the best out of him.

6) Wolves

Ins: Diogo Jota (Atletico Madrid – loan), John Ruddy (Norwich), Ruben Vinagre (Monaco – loan), Will Norris (Cambridge), Barry Douglas (Konyaspor), Roderick Miranda (Rio Ave), Ruben Neves (Porto - loan), Willy Boly (Porto – loan), Ryan Bennett (Norwich), Phil Ofusu-Ayeh (Eintracht Braundschweig)

Outs:

James Henry (Oxford), Jon Flatt (Cheltenham – loan), Mike Williamson (Oxford), Bradley Reid (Tamworth), Dominic Iorfa (Ipswich), George Saville (Millwall), Jed Wallace (Millwall), Jon Dadi Bodvarsson (Reading), Pau Gladon (Heracles – loan), Ethan Ebanks Landell (MK Dons), Silvio

Seemed to massively underachieve last season but have had four managers in 10 months now! Nuno Espirito Santo comes in as the next ‘unknown’ manager in the Championship. It is fair to say these types of appointments have seen mixed success with some disasters and some panning out. It does not seem long since Walter Zenga was in charge but that did not last long and whilst Paul Lambert steadied the ship, you sensed the owners wanted their own man in. Super-Agent Jorge Mendes remains the key man in the operations behind the scenes with the money coming from Chinese owners Fosun with the owner valued at 4.2 billion alone! Despite this wealth it remains to be seen if the big money signings will be able to adapt to the Championship. Quite a few came in last year and only Helder Costa really worked out with Cavaleiro another costing 7 million and not really impressing. However, they have taken things to the next level and some of the new signings are mind blowing in the sense many were linked with top Spanish and Premier League clubs.

The two big additions are Neves and Jota. Neves signs for 17 million. Yes, you read that right. 17 MILLION. A sobering thought for many Blades fans who think our owners can compete at this level. Sure, it does not mean everything spending this kind of money and Wolves hardly did much last year but it seems a long way off from us spending even 5 million on one player! Jota played 27 times for Porto on loan last season and is on a 5-year contract at Atletico Madrid and will play just behind the strikers. Boly comes in at the back with a big reputation but needs to kick start his career whilst Ofusu-Ayeh is another ‘unit’ to play at the back.

They do have some Championship and British experience in the likes of Ben Marshall, John Ruddy (who will probably deputise for Carl Ikembe, who was sadly diagnosed with leukemia), Conor Coady, David Edwards, Danny Batth and Nouha Dicko. I lot depends how quickly Santo can adapt to this level and that he can get the expensive new guys to integrate into a totally different style of football. I get the sense the type of signings means that if they get off to a slow start, they will chuck more cash at it and eventually get it right.

Key Player: Helder Costa – Costa stood out at Molineux last year. He scored goals, ran at defences and excited the fans. He seemed too good for the Championship but the Wolves have held onto him and added some of his countrymen to help them giving a better fist of the Championship. You expect with Santo in at the helm he may get the best out of Costs and his fellow Portuguese players.

=================================================================================

7) Brentford

Ins: Ollie Watkins (Exeter), Neal Maupay (Saint Etienne), Henrik Dalsgaard (Zulte Waregem), Kamohelo Mokotjo (FC Twente), Luke Daniels (Scunthorpe), Emiliano Marcondes (Nordsjaelland),

Outs: Philipp Hofmann(Greuther Firth), Akaki Gogia (Dynamo Dresden), Jack Bonham (Carlisle), Alan McCormack (Luton), Konstantin Kerschbaumer (Arm.Bielfeld – Loan)

Dean Smith is now established at Griffin Park and at times last season they flirted with the top 6. They tough to beat at home and have a solid base with keeper Daniel Bentley and rock Harlee Dean. They were well organised and also showed some flair at times and had the ability to beat some bigger clubs with ease (Villa and QPR stand out as TV walloping’s for the Bees). They have signed a few players from the continent that may not be known commodities but they gave done well with the likes of Jota and Vibe before.

One key returning player could be Alan Judge. He is not expected fit to start the season but he showed real quality before suffering another unfortunate injury. Josh McEachran is another who had had a stop start last few seasons but if he regains fitness and form then Brentford will have an exciting midfield with former Smith favourites Sawyers and Henry added to the mix. Smith has bought well from the lower leagues with Ryan Woods and John Egan solid performers last season. He has bought in the talented Olly Watkins from Exeter to add pace and unpredictability up top but much will rest with Vibe scoring the goals again and them holding onto the talented Jota. Look for Sergio Canos, the record signing to become more of an influence with a full pre-season behind him and they have a big money signing in Maupay also competing for a place up top. You feel if they start well then, they could be one of the surprise packets this season.

Key Player: Jota – The little Spaniard is a joy to watch. Effortless in running and dribbling, he is the man that makes the Bees tick. They have other players who have done well but you sense keeping him will allow them to make a real challenge on the playoffs. He has been linked with a move away but as I write this is still there.

8) Norwich

Ins: James Husband (Middlesbrough), Marcel Franke (Greuther Furth), Mario Vrancic (SV Darmstadt), Christoph Zimmerman (B Dortmund II), Marley Watkins (Barnsley), Angus Gunn (Man City- loan), Harrison Reed (Southampton – loan)

Outs: Declan Rudd (Preston), Jacob Murphy (Newcastle), Jonathan Howson (Middlesbrough), Michael Turner (Southend), Ryan Bennett (Wolves), John Ruddy (Wolves), Steven Whittaker (Hibernian), Kyle Lafferty (Hearts), Conor McGrandles (MK Dons), Ebou Adams (Shrewsbury – loan), Graham Dorrans (Rangers), Sebastien Bassong, Youssouf Mulumbu

All change with Daniel Farke, the German being the first foreign manager in Norwich’s long history. It worked for Huddersfield with David Wagner a revelation and City will hope for a similar affect at Carrow Road. He came from the same path of Borussia Dortmund’s second side and will have good connections over there which he seems to be exploiting again already.

They lost their way a bit last season and a big squad probably needed revitalising. Alex Neill was moved on and they have seen a lot of changeover in personnel.

A lot of players have moved on with keeper Rudd and Ruddy, midfielders Howson, Mulumbu and Dorrans also departing alongside defenders Bennett, Whiitaker and Turner. The big departure was Jacob Murphy to Newcastle. Quite a few German players have come in with Farke but their impact will remain to be seen.

They still have some real talent with the likes of Hoolahan, Wildschut and the remaining Murphy (Josh) offering skill and creativity in different areas of the pitch. Martin, Naymsith and Jerome offer experience throughout the spine too. They have enough quality left even with the departures to ensure they will be not far off the playoffs.

Key Player: Wes Hoolahan – Still a very good footballer who can prise defences open with his crossing, passing and quick feet.

9) Sunderland

Ins: Brendan Galloway (Everton – loan), Tyias Browning (Everton – loan), Aidan McGeady (Everton), James Vaughan (Bury), Lewis Grabban (Bournemouth - loan), Jason Steele (Blackburn),

Outs: Jermain Defoe (Bournemouth), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Will Buckley (Bolton), Victor Anichebe (BJ Enterprises), Steven Pienaar (Bivest Wits), Joleon Lescott, Sebastian Larsson, Vito Mannone (Reading), Fabio Borini (AC Milan – loan), Jan Kirchhoff

Last season was a disaster as they went down in frankly quite pathetic fashion. David Moyes proved he was yesterday’s man and after being linked with so many managers went for a tried and trusted Championship boss in Simon Grayson. He has managed at a big club before in Leeds and has experience of getting teams up but the expectations will be much higher than at Preston. You feel that they have a squad that has a lot of overpaid over the hill players that are winding down their career. They did manage to move some of these on but a few too many remain and with them the hangover from relegation.

They lost main man Jermain Defoe and talented keeper Jordan Pickford and have gone for some Championship experience in the likes of Steele as the new number one and Vaughan and Grabban up top. Experienced performers such as O’Shea, Cattermole, Rodwell and Gibson remain but many of these seem to have had better days or unfulfilled promise. Indeed, much of the squad seems to have an unnatural balance of such players mixed in with a few talented players such as the energetic Duncan Watmore.

I am unsure if there is enough here to see them mount a real promotion challenge. Expectations will be of such but Grayson may have to steady the ship first before he can see if they can have a proper go the following season. Ownership questions remain also with Ellis Short remaining in charge despite several abated takeover bids. He seems to want out but finding the right owners allied with new investment has proved problematic.

Key Player: Duncan Watmore – One of the few bright spots of the dismal relegation campaign, Watmore was a hit with the Mackems fans and he will play a bigger part next season. Loves to run at defenders and also likes a tackle. If Sunderland had more players like him they would be in a better shape. One of the few players in the football league who possesses a first-class degree!

10) Reading

Ins: Jon Dadi Bodvarsson (Wolves), Vito Mannone (Sunderland), Pelle Clement (PSV)

Outs: Danny Williams (Huddersfield), Tariqe Fosu (Reading), Niall Keown (Partick Thistle), Sean Long (Lincoln), Jack Stacey (Luton), Deniss Rakels (Lech Poznan - loan), Stuart Moore (Barrow), Craig Tanner (Motherwell), Dominic Hyam (Coventry), Danzell Gravenberch (KSV – loan), Yakou Meite (FC Sochaux), Dominic Samuel (Blackburn), Jonathan Bond (Peterborough – loan), Ali Al-Habsi (Hilal), Paolo Hurtado (Vit. Guimaraes), Jake Cooper (Millwall)

Reading did extremely well last season and credit to new manager Jaap Stam who got them playing attractive football and into the playoffs. They then came within a few kicks of the Premier League and seemed to keep getting better as the season went on. They were the side that seemed to come from nowhere but also with all the fuss about Huddersfield, they actually were remarkably consistent most of last season.

They have lost key men in keeper Al-Habsi and defender Williams but have actually added a few experienced players in Mannone and Bodvarsson. You scan down the squad and they do not have any real stand outs and it is definitely a case of the sum of the parts. Stam has to take tremendous credit to get them to where he got them last season but you feel it could be a stretch for them to repeat that. Kermogant and Bodvarsson will be counted on to provide the goals but I am unsure they will be able to quite hit the heights of last season.

Key Player: John Swift – The midfielder has finally started to live up to the potential he showed as a youngster at Chelsea and was an important player in their successful campaign last year. He will be important to kick them ticking over again this season providing the link between defence and attack.

11) Cardiff

Ins: Danny Ward (Rotherham), Lee Tomlin (Bristol City), Lee Camp (Rotherham), Neil Etheridge (Walsall), Callum Paterson (Hearts), Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (Rochdale), Loic Damour (Bourg)

Outs: Idriss Saadi (Strasbourg), Peter Whittingham (Blackburn), Tom Adeyemi (Ipswich), Emyr Huws (Ipswich), Adedeji Oshilaja (AFC Wimbledon), Adam Le Fondre (Bolton), Semi Ajayi (Rotherham), Rickie Lambert

Neil Warnock is remarkably back as a manager again. He did what he always does and kept Cardiff up and then steered them to mid table respectability. He always comes into clubs, stops them leaking goals, organises teams, gets the team spirit going and gets players playing to the top of their game. He has done it time after time. You worry that for him to take them to a possible play off assault they lack quality. He has not been given much funds to try and have a proper go which will surely disappoint him. Once again, he has to rely on organisation and team spirit to ensure they do better than more illustrious sides around them.

The squad is a bit of a mixed bag really and you sense they will rely on that grit and determination rather than much out and out quality. They have signed a few players from League One in Etheridge and Mendez Laing and are the sort Warnock loves to get the best out of. Strikers Ward and Tomlin are Warnock types; grafters who chase all day long. They might lack the goals though that they will need at the top of the pitch and will hope Zohore and Harris can continue their rich vein of form that ended the season.

They won’t be near the bottom but not sure they have the quality needed to make a real go at the playoffs. Warnock is that man who will keep them away from a relegation scrap but sadly probably also keep them away from a promotion race; his penchant for favourites (Camp, Halford etc) still seems to haunt him!

Key Player: Kenneth Zohore – Seemed to be revitalised under Warnock and finished as the Bluebirds leading scorer. He is a big lad and a runner and another Warnock type. You feel he will get goals with the likes of Pilkington and Hoilett playing behind him.

12) Leeds

Ins: Pontus Jansson (Tornio), Hadi Sacko (Sporting B), Samu Saiz (SD Huesca), Mateusz Klich (FC Twente), Caleb Ekuban (Chievo Verona), Felix Wiedwald (Werder Bremen), Vurnon Anita (Newcastle), Matthew Pennington (Everton – loan), Ezjgan Alioski (FC Lugano)

Outs: Charlie Taylor (Burnley), Jordan Botaka (Sint-Truiden), Ross Turnbull, Lewie Coyle (Fleetwood), Luke Muprhy (Burton – loan), Lee Erwin (Kilmarnock), Marco Silvestri (Hellas Verona), Giuseppe Bellusci, Billy Whitehouse

New owners and new management in at Leeds. It seems they have a new manager every few months to be honest. They got one right in Monk and let him go. Finally, Massimo Cellino is out replaced by Andrea Radrizzani who announced the 100% buyout in the summer. The new owner brought in a new manager. Thomas Christiansen has managed in Greece and Cyprus and has had some success in these leagues. He has brought in his own backroom staff also with assistant Julio Bañuelos, fitness coach Iván Torres and goalkeeper coach Marcos Abad joining him. It is a risk for the whole ownership and management team to be new to the English Championship.

They have signed a lot of players that are effectively unknowns from Europe although Jansson and Sacko have made loan moves permanent and both cost over a million. Anita did well for Newcastle at this level. Klich is a midfielder that was signed from Twente but also for a six-figure fee. Samuel Saiz is known as a playmaker and will add creativity alongside the returning Pablo Hernandez. Ekuban scored a lot of goals whilst on loan but it was at places like Albania. A lot of question marks and they will probably rely on the likes of Rob Green, Luke Ayala and leading scorer Chris Wood as much as the newcomers. The squad is not particularly deep and you sense it might be a bit of a steep learning curve for Christiansen but with Jansson at one end and Wood at the other you feel they will be comfortable in the middle part of the league. Any further inroads will depend on the success of some of the new signings.

Key Player: Pontus Jansson – He also wears a magic hat like our Jack. Imposing, committed centre back that wins tackles, is not afraid to mix it up but decent on the floor also. Quite quick, he also scores goals when he attacks. Important they made his loan move from Torino permanent. Of course, Chris Wood will also be very important and need to score as many as he did last season for Leeds to compete.

13) Hull

Ins: Kevin Stewart (Liverpool), Fraizer Campbell (Crystal Palace), Ondrej Mazuch (Sparta Praha), Ola Aina (Chelsea – loan), Michael Hector (Chelsea – loan), Liam Edwards (Swansea),

Outs: Harry Maguire (Leicester), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Derby), Curtis Davis (Derby), Eldin Jakupovic (Leicester), Ahmed Elmohamady (Aston Villa), Josh Tymon (Stoke), Johan Ter Horst (Maidstone), Alex Bruce, Shaun Maloney

They seem another side, like Sunderland, in a state of flux. They have lost a lot of quality and experience and seems to have the core of the squad ripped out. They have signed former favourite Fraizer Campbell back at the KC Stadium but overall they look a squad that is much weaker than the one that went down but also weaker than the squad that came up last time.

Assem Allam seems less interested than he has ever been but no change of ownership seems imminent and you feel there is a bit of malaise in the air at the KC Stadium Even when they went up you never felt confident they would stay up and Bruce leaving before the start of the season summed things up. Mike Phelan did not last much longer and even though Marco Silva gave it a good go, his success was at the expense of a future at Hull and Watford snapped him up leaving another change coming.

Leonid Slutsky is the new man at the helm and although he has managed in the Champions League, he has never managed outside of Russia. I am unsure how his ‘experience’ translates to the English Championship and like Wolves it is a bit if a punt when there are a lot of good, young British managers about.

The likes of Davies and Huddlestone have been mainstays for Hull albeit in a bit of a yo yo few years but they have proven maybe too good for the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League. Now they seem to be a way off a Championship promotion side.

They have some solid performers in keeper David Marshall, skipper Michael Dawson, midfielder Sam Clucas and striker Abel Hernandez but it is a small squad in comparison to others such as Villa, Middlesbrough, Wednesday etc. You sense that things might get worse before they get better. I’d wager that they will have a new manager before Xmas after being nearer the bottom than the top at the start of the season.

Key Player: David Marshall – Had a number of injuries last season but he is a top keeper and when fit he will be worth a lot of points to City. He will be busier than he was last time he was in the Championship and with the whole back four effectively sold in Robertson Elmohamady, Maguire and Davies gone, they will need Marshall to be in top form.

14) Birmingham

Ins: Marc Roberts (Barnsley), Craig Gardner (West Brom), David Stockdale (Fulham), Cheikh N’Doye (SCO Angers),

Outs: Kerim Frei (Basaksehir), Andrew Shinnie (Luton – loan), Viv Solomon-Otabor (Blackpool – loan), Charlie Cooper (Forest Green), Reece Brown (Forest Green), Charlee Adams (Dagenham and Redbridge), Diego Fabbrini (Real Oveido),

The sacking of Gary Rowett and appointment of Gianfranco Zola almost proved an absolute nightmare. However, Harry Redknapp somewhat of a left field appointment came in and did just enough to keep them up. It was close though and only a last day win at Bristol City saw them do enough to remain in the Championship. I was a little surprised Redknapp came back but he is at the helm again.

He tried to add some experience over the summer but John Terry chose city rivals Villa. Stockdale comes in as the new keeper and Roberts impressed at Barnsley but the squad does seem to lack quality. They have players who can do well on their day such as Donaldson, Adams, Maghoma, Jutkiewicz but can be maddeningly frustrating too.

Redknapp, like Neil Warnock though, is a wily operator and his network will see further old pals come on board on the pitch to join his group off it with Kevin Bond and Paul Groves joining up with once again. They need more bodies and quality and you feel defensively they look quite vulnerable still. Would not surprise me if they got sucked into the lower reaches again pending who else they can bring in.

Key Player: Che Adams – He has shown more glimpses at Birmingham and at times still looks a top prospect but equally had poor games and also moments of madness (poor disciplinary record). Now is the time for him to be a regular every week and to ensure he can play well consistently or he will just be another promising youngster that does not quite fulfil his potential.

15) Sheff Utd

Ins: Enda Stevens (Portsmouth), George Baldock (MK Dons), Ched Evans (Chesterfield), Jamal Blackman (Chelsea – loan), Richard Stearman (Fulham), Nathan Thomas (Hartlepool), John Lundstram (Oxford),

Outs: James Wilson (Walsall – loan), George Long (AFC Wimbledon – loan), Louis Reed (Chesterfield – loan), Ben Whiteman (Doncaster – loan), Jay O’Shea (Bury), Stefan Scougall (St Johnstone), Marc McNulty (Coventry), Chris Hussey (Swindon – loan), Graham Kelly (Port Vale)

United absolutely cantered to the title last season. They were simply way too good for League One. Never has a manager’s reputation been higher than Chris Wilder. He has simply demolished League Two and One in consecutive seasons. His style of football features pressing and harassing off the ball and then neat, attractive football at pace when attacking. The results spoke for themselves. Goals galore home and away and from all areas of the field. Wilder’s approach is so refreshing after United had so many pedestrian and conservative managers. Sure, the fact he is a Blade adds to his resume. Indeed, him and club skipper Billy Sharp bleed red and white. The sight of them loudly singing the club anthems on the town hall in May, helped by the odd Peroni or two, further enamoured them to the already sold Blades fans.

The club seems more together than ever with almost 20,000 season tickets sold meaning most games at Bramall Lane will be 25-26,000+ although doubts still remain over the level of investment from the Saudi Arabian contingent on the board with the game changing investment yet to materialise. The signings over the summer have been steady but not ones to think a second promotion assault could be possible when you see the levels of investment across the league. Still, as Huddersfield and Reading proved, a well coaches team with hungry, underrated players goes a long way. Wilder will use the momentum to keep this feel-good factor going. They may have a few more hiccups along the way but it would not be a massive surprise to see them nudging the top half if a few more quality signings arrive. They have some players who I feel can cope comfortably at this level in Moore, O’Connell, Fleck, Coutts etc and young protégé David Brooks could be a revelation if he is not sold. Do not see United being sucked into a relegation battle assuming they get off to a good start. If they do then who knows how far they could go this year. The likely scenario is a season of consolidation and then the questions of the Prince will be asked again to push them on that next step.

Key Player: Paul Coutts – Sharp will be counted on for the goals and John Fleck is the midfielder that caught the eye but as Coutts go, so do United. A metronomic performer who can link defence to attack; he got his fitness up and remained fit. Last season showed what a class act he is and he ran the midfield most games. A lovely passer of the ball and an intelligent player to boot, look for him to earn full Scotland honours this season.

16) Bristol City

Ins: Nathan Baker (Aston Villa), Eros Pisano (Hellas Verona), Famara Diedhiou (SCO Angers)

Outs: Mark Little (Bolton), Lee Tomlin (Cardiff),

City were in real trouble at times last season and went on some really difficult runs including 8 defeats in 9 after Xmas and they only were able to pull away late on. Gary Johnson comes back and with Ashton Gate now a modern, redeveloped stadium, owner Stephen Lansdown will expect some improvements from a relatively disappointing season.

They have invested in a new striker Diedhiou from Angers; the same place where former favourite Jonathan Kodija came from and for the fee they paid will expect immediate results. However, outgoing Tammy Abraham will be a massive loss as he has signed for Swansea on loan. Without him you feel City may have been in real trouble last season.

Jamie Paterson had a bit of a renaissance after losing his way somewhat at Forest but Matty Taylor did not quite have the impact City fans would have hoped after moving from rivals Rovers only scoring two goals.

At the back Aiden Flint is solid and dependable and will be joined by permanent signing Nathan Baker. The rest of the squad does not scream out quality and you sense that this is a side that will win games but also could get turned over quite a bit. They do have big money backing from the billionaire owner but you still feel City are a tough sell to get top players to come to them. I do not see them being any better than mid table and may face it tough to repeat even last season’s finish missing Abraham.

Key Player: Famara Diedhiou – The fact Bristol City have spent 5 million on a single player is significant. He will carry a lot of expectations to deliver from the off. Flint has been linked with a move away and it is important City retain his services.

17) Notts Forest

Ins: Daryl Murphy (Newcastle), Jason Cummings (Hibernian), Liam Bossin (Anderlecht), Barrie McKay (Rangers), Tendayi Darikwa (Burnley), Andreas Bouchalakis (Olympiacos)

Outs: Britt Assombolonga (Middlesbrough), Jorge Grant (Notts County – loan), Gbolyi Aribiyi (MK Dons – loan), Dani Pinollos (Cordoba), Damien Perquis (Ajaccio), Maty Fryatt

Forest like quite a few big clubs at this level, such as Leeds, Wolves seem to have gone through so many managers all whilst uncertainty over ownership goes on behind the scenes. The Al Hasawi family have finally moved on with Evangelos Marinakis the new owner. He has ownership of Olympiacos in Greece also. Mark Warburton came in at the end of last season after doing a very good job at Brentford and then also acquitting himself fairly well North of the Border at Glasgow Rangers.

They only just stayed up thanks to a last day win but hero of that victory Assombolonga has been sold, albeit for big money. Daryl Murphy comes in as his replacement and will score goals at this level but is probably a downgrade. The rest of the squad has not been improved and without investment from the new owners a few players from Scotland does not seem to suggest they will be much higher up. They have returnees such as Lichaj, Mills, Cohen, Vaughan, Ward who are all another year older and these mainstays did not herald much of a finishing position.

Young players Brereton and Clough will be counted on to make more of an impact but you sense this is a squad that still needs a bit of an overhaul for them to move up the league. How much money is pumped in and what Warburton can cajole out of the existing players will dictate how much of a struggle it could be.

Key Player: Daryl Murphy – He scored some vital goals for Newcastle and he has also done well at this level for the likes of Sunderland and Forest. He will be expected to fill in for Assombolonga but there seems to be lack of genuine quality around him.

18) Preston

Ins: Declan Rudd (Norwich), Josh Harrop (Man Utd – loan), Darnell Fisher (Rotherham), Sean Maguire (Cork), Kevin O’Connor (Cork)

Outs: Anders Lindegaard, Jermaine Beckford (Bury), Simon Makienok (Palermo)

Simon Grayson had done such a god job with Preston on relatively limited resources at this level that it was inevitable he may get advances from other clubs and so it proved as Sunderland came calling. Alex Neil had done well at Norwich initially but it a poor start to last season saw him moved on in March and Preston seems a good fit for a club that traditionally has employed Scottish managers like David Moyes and Craig Brown.

They finished 22 points safe from relegation and were closer to the playoffs 12 points. I do feel a lot of it was down to Grayson who did such a great job to keep them never that close to the drop zone. The squad lacks real known star quality but has a lot of experienced pros mixed with some good young players like Jordan Hugill and Daniel Johnstone. The incomers from the League of Ireland are a bit of a gamble and you sense it could be a drop off this season. They will want to prove the bookies wrong of course.

Key Player: Jordan Hugill – Slowly has made himself a key man at Deepdale. A few clubs at this level have been sniffing but PNE have held onto him for now. He is a mobile forward, who can score with his head and feet.

19) Millwall

Ins: James Meredith (Bradford), Conor McLaughlin (Fleetwood), George Savile (Wolves), Jed Wallace (Wolves), Tom Elliott (AFC Wimbledon), Jake Cooper (Reading)

Outs: Gregg Wylde (Plymouth), Alfie Pavey, Joe Martin (Stevenage), David Forde (Cambridge), Nadjim Abdou (AFC Wimbledon), Harry Smith (Swindon – loan)

Millwall only just got into the playoffs but the momentum carried on and they snuck past Bradford in the final. Neil Harris connects with the fans and they may not have been as fluent last season as they have been but they managed to do enough to get up and that was the primary objective regardless of aesthetics.

The ever-green Steve Morison will team up with Lee Gregory up top but they have another option in the muscular Tom Elliott. They have signed two quality full backs from League One in Meredith and McLaughlin. Savile and Wallace are two nice additions in midfield from Wolves but this is an area they look weaker in than other areas. The squad is not the biggest and a few injuries and they could be in trouble. They will also need the Den at its intimidating best (or should that be worst) to ensure they pick up enough points. I feel with the strikers they have at their disposal that they will survive; just.

Key Player: Steve Morison – Gregory is the one who has been linked with higher placed clubs but it was Morison who scored the goal to get them up and who also was the main man in the playoffs. Good in the air, holds the ball up and intelligent player, he is the talisman that makes them tick.

20) QPR

Ins: Josh Scowen (Barnsley), Charlie Owens (Tottenham)

Outs: Michael Doughty (Peterborough), Ben Gladwin (Blackburn), Karl Henry

Ian Holloway seemed to have given up on coaching and was entrenched in a media career but then QPR came calling after Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink did not quite deliver what the owners had hoped for. They finished 12th and were never really in danger but never really threatened the playoff either.

I do not see any improvements to the squad though and not sure Holloway’s quirky, man management works longer term – it is the sort of management that seems to have short term affect. It is a side that seems to lack goals and will hope the likes of Connor Washington, Matt Smith or Jamie Mackie. Luongo and Freeman will be the players looked to for creativity and Josh Scowen from Barnsley will add to the midfield area.

I feel Holloway may be moved on at some point this season and will probably bow out of management for good but it might be too late to stop a surprise relegation battle.

Key Player: Alex Smithies – Always impressed when at Huddersfield (as Blades fans found out in the playoff final) and was the player of the year last year. I expect he will be even busier this year.

21) Barnsley

Ins: Liam Lindsay (Partick Thistle), Stevie Mallan (St Mirren), Lloyd Isgrove (Southampton), Zeki Fryers (Crystal Palace), Ike Ugbo (Chelsea – loan), Cameron McGeehan (Luton), Joe Williams (Everton – loan), Jason McCarthy (Southampton), Ethan Pinnock (Forest Green)

Outs: Marc Roberts (Birmingham), Lewis Nyatanga, Matty Templeton, Aidy White, Ryan Williams (Rotherham), Marley Watkins (Norwich), Elliott Lee (Luton), Josh Scowen (QPR), Callum Evans (Forest Green), Jack Cowgill (Boston), Cole Kpekawa (Colchester), Kayden Jackson (Accrington)

Have done tremendously well under Paul Heckingbottom and at one point were not far off the playoffs. Have lost so many talented players such as Bree, Hourihane, Winnall, Watkins, Roberts, Mawson, Scowen and that is just off the top of my head! They have a superb scouting network and you feel that they will uncover a few more gems from the signings they have made. It will be hard for them to carry on the momentum though losing so many players from the spine of the side.

Roberts and Mawson were keys to the good start last season and now they will have to put a new defence together although McDonald and McCarthy may prove decent signings. At the top of the field Winnall is no longer here and Adam Armstrong is now with Bolton. Tom Bradshaw will be counted on to score more goals after finding his feet at this level. George Moncur and Adam Hamill are creative talents but both are not as consistent as they need to be.

Key Player: Adam Hamill – Seems to have been around a while but he is still a talent at this level and with the departures will be counted on for even more assists/goals.

==========================================================================================================================================

22) Ipswich

Ins: Joe Garner (Rangers), Tom Ademeyi (Rotherham), Emyr Huws (Cardiff), Dominic Iorfa (Wolves – loan), Bersant Celina (Man City – loan)

Outs: Steven Taylor (Peterbrough), Paul Digby (Mansfield), Christophe Berra (Hearts), Kieffer Moore (Rotherham – loan), Brett Pitman (Portsmouth), Josh Emmanuel (Rotherham – loan), Jonathan Douglas, Giles Coke, Leon Best

The affable but honest Mick McCarthy is still here. His pre-and post-match interview always draw a smile as he tells it as it is. His recent admission that he wanted a player on loan Ashley Fletcher (that was in the process of being sold for 7 million) sums up his character but also shows where Ipswich are in terms of resources.

He has brought in Joe Garner who was successful at this level before for Preston but did not do it at Rangers. Tom Lawrence was such a big player last year and he seemed to score goals every other week, often worldies. He has gone back to Leicester. Grant Ward gives them some pace and some strong running and Emyr Huys packs a powerful long-range shot. However, the bulk of the squad looks wafer thin in terms of both experience and also real quality. Defensively they look very vulnerable. There is always one ‘bigger’ side that may get sucked into a relegation battle and my hunch is Town could be the team.

Key Player: Joe Garner – In a side that struggles for goals they will need Garner to get back to his PNE form and quickly.

23) Burton

Ins: Luke Murphy (Leeds – loan), Jake Buxton (Wigan), Liam Boyce (Ross County), Hope Akpan (Blackburn), Matthew Lund (Rochdale), Stephen Warnock (Wigan)

Outs: Phil Edwards (Bury), Marcus Harness (Port Vale – loan), Sam Hornby (Port Vale), Lee Williamson, Jon McLaughin, Callum Reilly (Bury), Tom Flanagan

Nigel Clough will rightly consider it a massive achievement that they stayed up last year. They had one of the smaller, if not the smallest budget in the league but stayed up with a few games to spare. They have a squad that is not exactly full of youth and counts on experienced players like Warnock, Buxton, Barker and Varney. They have added Scottish striker Liam Boyce but it is often a gamble to sign players from Scotland and traditionally a number of strikers who have done well in the SPL have fared poorly in England.

Not retaining John Brayford will be a blow as he was a key man but McFadzean, Turner and Buxton all are old fashioned block it and kick it away centre backs and there is nothing wrong with that. Unsure where the goals come from. Akins chips in with a few but Sordell, Dyer and Varney is not a collection of strikers to strike fear into Championship defences.

Clough will have to get every ounce out of this group again for them to survive but effort and organisation alone might not be enough and they don’t have the resources to improve things dramatically if they start badly.

Key Player: Jackson Irvine – The talented Australian scored 10 goals in 42 games and was a real stand out. He could get forward and was always just off the front men and often got in shots on goal or made goals from his attacking play and ability to be in the right position. A few clubs are looking at him but if he remains Burton will count on him.

24) Bolton

Ins: Sammy Ameobi (Newcastle), Adam Le Fondre (Cardiff), Will Buckley (Sunderland), Andrew Taylor (Wigan), Mark Little (Bristol City), Stephen Darby (Bradford), Adam Armstrong (Newcastle – loan)

Outs: Conor Wilkinson (Gillingham), Dean Moxey (Exeter), Lawrie Wilson (Port Vale), Liam Trotter (AFC Wimbledon), Max Clayton (Blackpool), Jamie Proctor (Rotherham), Reece Wabara, Lewis Buxton

Money troubles seem to have been constantly surrounding the Macron Stadium in recent years. Despite this and still uncertainty over takeovers and who owns the club, they did really well to bounce back at the first attempt despite some poor runs at times and quite a direct style. Phil Parkinson did what was required and in the end, they got over the line. They are not the most fluent side and rely a lot on big lads like Wheater, Beevers and Madine up top.

These same players were not good enough at Championship level a few years ago so they need more as teams will work them out easier at this level where players are generally bigger, stronger and more athletic. Smaller, quicker players will also pick them off at the defensive end where they are quite pedestrian. Adam Armstrong (loan) and Sammy Ameobi (permanent) are two smart additions from Newcastle but the rest of the side is not really looking like a side that can step up a level. Jay Spearing a key man moved on and Josh Vela and Filipe Morais will be relied on to create from the middle of the park.

Parkinson will have to evolve the tactics and style to have more success. They could be higher than this but I fear that the lack of mobility and pace in the side will hit them hard at this level.

Key Player: Adam Armstrong – Done well at Coventry and was up and down at Barnsley. A big season for him although he is contracted till 2020 at St James Park and needs to prove he has a future there and not someone who is constantly loaned out. Will probably pair up with Madine up top and hope to profit from his knock downs from the predictable punts forward.

Other predictions…..

Premier League

Champions: Man City

2nd – Chelsea

3rd – Man Utd

4th - Liverpool

Relegated: Huddersfield, Brighton and Burnley

League One

Promoted: Blackburn, Charlton and Wigan (via playoffs)

Playoffs – Wigan, Bury, Bristol Rovers, Rotherham

Relegated: Shrewsbury, Blackpool, AFC Wimbledon, Gillingham

League Two

Promoted: Mansfield, Luton, Lincoln and Coventry (via playoffs)

Playoffs – Luton, Notts County, Coventry, Exeter

Relegated: Newport, Cheltenham

FA Cup: Man Utd

League Cup: Liverpool

Champions League: Barcelona

Mainly agree, however can't see Millwall staying up. In League One Pompey should make the playoffs. In League Two Forest Green should make the playoffs, Cheltenham won't be relegated.

Obviously 2017/18 not 16/17 as the main heading on the first post suggests

Reading Deadbat's forecasts made me think that The Championship really looks like the English Managers' Championship.

Wilder, Warnock, Redknap, Monk, Bruce, Grayson, Clough, Parkinson, McCarthy, Heckingbottom, Holloway, Harris, Warburton, Johnson, Smith, Rowett plus a Jock (Neil).

Means we get to watch some proper British football as well. A bit different from all those Tiki Taka Johnny foreigners in the Prem.

Magic

Agree with Millwall going down. Can see Boro running away with it, Fulham in second place. Sunderland are going to struggle I think.

I think the play-off positions are going to be ever changing, there are about 10 teams that could be up there, including us.

I'm not sure Wendy will be able to do a play-off position for the third time in a row, I think they'll narrowly miss out due to a poor defence.

As for us, think anywhere from 3rd - 15th, it's really an unknown. In my wildest dreams we'll continue our form and our belief will get us top 2, but I'm happy with mid table as long as we keep the spirit up. I'm hoping we don't get silly as I can unfortunately imagine that some denser Blades will have trouble adjusting to us not playing on easy mode and walking it every week.

I'd love a bit of a run in one of the cups. Get a big tie, Liverpool away or something.

And obviously beating Wednesday twice would be fantastic, for the points and the meltdowns.

6 English and 2 Welsh managers in the Prem

Howe, Dyche. Hughton, Allardyce, Clement, Shakespeare, Pulis, Hughes.

All in clubs just happy to survive one way or another. Only Howe really encourages football - and he's actually a bit Tiki Taka for me.

So it does mean that The Championship is definitely the place that British managers can go for success, as opposed to avoiding failure.

Interesting there is only one Jock in the top 2 divisions - there was a time when there were loads.

Doing fine work Deadbat as always! Superb stuff.

Anichebe has signed for 'BJ Enterprises'?! Makes it sound like he's become a male escort.

I think QPR, Ispwich, Bolton and Burton will struggle and to a lesser extent Barnsley, Millwall, PNE. I think your top 6 is pretty much spot on but maybe wouldn't have Wolves as high. Going be an interesting campaign!!

22) Ipswich

Ins: Joe Garner (Rangers), Tom Ademeyi (Rotherham), Emyr Huws (Cardiff), Dominic Iorfa (Wolves – loan), Bersant Celina (Man City – loan)

Outs: Steven Taylor (Peterbrough), Paul Digby (Mansfield), Christophe Berra (Hearts), Kieffer Moore (Rotherham – loan), Brett Pitman (Portsmouth), Josh Emmanuel (Rotherham – loan), Jonathan Douglas, Giles Coke, Leon Best

The affable but honest Mick McCarthy is still here. His pre-and post-match interview always draw a smile as he tells it as it is. His recent admission that he wanted a player on loan Ashley Fletcher (that was in the process of being sold for 7 million) sums up his character but also shows where Ipswich are in terms of resources.

He has brought in Joe Garner who was successful at this level before for Preston but did not do it at Rangers. Tom Lawrence was such a big player last year and he seemed to score goals every other week, often worldies. He has gone back to Leicester. Grant Ward gives them some pace and some strong running and Emyr Huys packs a powerful long-range shot. However, the bulk of the squad looks wafer thin in terms of both experience and also real quality. Defensively they look very vulnerable. There is always one ‘bigger’ side that may get sucked into a relegation battle and my hunch is Town could be the team.

Key Player: Joe Garner – In a side that struggles for goals they will need Garner to get back to his PNE form and quickly.

23) Burton

Ins: Luke Murphy (Leeds – loan), Jake Buxton (Wigan), Liam Boyce (Ross County), Hope Akpan (Blackburn), Matthew Lund (Rochdale), Stephen Warnock (Wigan)

Outs: Phil Edwards (Bury), Marcus Harness (Port Vale – loan), Sam Hornby (Port Vale), Lee Williamson, Jon McLaughin, Callum Reilly (Bury), Tom Flanagan

Nigel Clough will rightly consider it a massive achievement that they stayed up last year. They had one of the smaller, if not the smallest budget in the league but stayed up with a few games to spare. They have a squad that is not exactly full of youth and counts on experienced players like Warnock, Buxton, Barker and Varney. They have added Scottish striker Liam Boyce but it is often a gamble to sign players from Scotland and traditionally a number of strikers who have done well in the SPL have fared poorly in England.

Not retaining John Brayford will be a blow as he was a key man but McFadzean, Turner and Buxton all are old fashioned block it and kick it away centre backs and there is nothing wrong with that. Unsure where the goals come from. Akins chips in with a few but Sordell, Dyer and Varney is not a collection of strikers to strike fear into Championship defences.

Clough will have to get every ounce out of this group again for them to survive but effort and organisation alone might not be enough and they don’t have the resources to improve things dramatically if they start badly.

Key Player: Jackson Irvine – The talented Australian scored 10 goals in 42 games and was a real stand out. He could get forward and was always just off the front men and often got in shots on goal or made goals from his attacking play and ability to be in the right position. A few clubs are looking at him but if he remains Burton will count on him.

24) Bolton

Ins: Sammy Ameobi (Newcastle), Adam Le Fondre (Cardiff), Will Buckley (Sunderland), Andrew Taylor (Wigan), Mark Little (Bristol City), Stephen Darby (Bradford), Adam Armstrong (Newcastle – loan)

Outs: Conor Wilkinson (Gillingham), Dean Moxey (Exeter), Lawrie Wilson (Port Vale), Liam Trotter (AFC Wimbledon), Max Clayton (Blackpool), Jamie Proctor (Rotherham), Reece Wabara, Lewis Buxton

Money troubles seem to have been constantly surrounding the Macron Stadium in recent years. Despite this and still uncertainty over takeovers and who owns the club, they did really well to bounce back at the first attempt despite some poor runs at times and quite a direct style. Phil Parkinson did what was required and in the end, they got over the line. They are not the most fluent side and rely a lot on big lads like Wheater, Beevers and Madine up top.

These same players were not good enough at Championship level a few years ago so they need more as teams will work them out easier at this level where players are generally bigger, stronger and more athletic. Smaller, quicker players will also pick them off at the defensive end where they are quite pedestrian. Adam Armstrong (loan) and Sammy Ameobi (permanent) are two smart additions from Newcastle but the rest of the side is not really looking like a side that can step up a level. Jay Spearing a key man moved on and Josh Vela and Filipe Morais will be relied on to create from the middle of the park.

Parkinson will have to evolve the tactics and style to have more success. They could be higher than this but I fear that the lack of mobility and pace in the side will hit them hard at this level.

Key Player: Adam Armstrong – Done well at Coventry and was up and down at Barnsley. A big season for him although he is contracted till 2020 at St James Park and needs to prove he has a future there and not someone who is constantly loaned out. Will probably pair up with Madine up top and hope to profit from his knock downs from the predictable punts forward.

Other predictions…..

Premier League

Champions: Man City

2nd – Chelsea

3rd – Man Utd

4th - Liverpool

Relegated: Huddersfield, Brighton and Burnley

League One

Promoted: Blackburn, Charlton and Wigan (via playoffs)

Playoffs – Wigan, Bury, Bristol Rovers, Rotherham

Relegated: Shrewsbury, Blackpool, AFC Wimbledon, Gillingham

League Two

Promoted: Mansfield, Luton, Lincoln and Coventry (via playoffs)

Playoffs – Luton, Notts County, Coventry, Exeter

Relegated: Newport, Cheltenham

FA Cup: Man Utd

League Cup: Liverpool

Champions League: Barcelona

Very impressive!! Thanks for the read.

Great stuff Deadbat. You've helped me with my Fantasy Football Championship team, thanks.

I'll have a go too:

Championship:

1. Fulham
2. Brentford
3. Villa
4. Norwich
5. Middlesbrough
6. Bristol City
7. SW
8. Wolves
9. Reading
10. United.
11. Derby
12. Leeds
13. Sunderland
14. Hull
15. Preston
16. Cardiff
17. Barnsley
18. Birmingham
19. Forest
20. Ipswich
21. Millwall
22. QPR
23. Burton
24 Bolton.

Prem.

1.Man Utd
2.Liverpool
3.Man City

L1.
Southend
Scunny
Charlton
MKD

L2.

Mansfield
Colchester
P.Vale
Carlisle

My two penneth.

Your bang on about Coutts. Fully expecting him to prove himself one of the best players of his type in the division.

I'll confidently predict that Wednesday will get found out and don't reach the dizzy heights of 3rd at any point during the season.

I watched their matches on the box closely. Honestly, last season they were not very good. Often quite lucky in nicking points they most definitely did not deserve. Season before, they were good. I see a bit of a declining trend with them. Got nothing to do with rose tinted Blades specs, just think that many pundits will get lofty predictions for Wednesday badly wrong.

UTB

Not sure I could be arsed to delve so deeply into other clubs so a bladey cap doff for you Deadbat

I look at the blades and how they play. From early on the signs were there last season we were a bloody good side. I'm hoping we maintain that style and intensity in the championship because if we do we will surprise many teams and do well.
How well is anyone's guess and I think it could be anywhere from 14-4th. Another promotion really isn't impossible, but surely odds are against us. It just doesn't happen to us....does it?

I look at the ins and outs of clubs in the report, and none stand out to me as big signings that would be a huge influence. Lots of big names, most on the decline.
So it's very difficult to choose predictions on position. Lots of sides with new managers, sides who came down were really really shit, sides who missed out in play offs were also pretty shite.
It really is an open league IMHO.

Fifteenth DB? F******g FIFTEENTH?!!!
We're going to win the chuffin' thing.
Nice work though mate, thanks. :)

Great post DB.

For me I think we'll be lower mid table or mid table. Do think we need another striker though and a centre half. Disappointed if we don't bring in another couple of players.

I do expect a centre back (Lenigan), midfielder (Leonard) and striker (Premier loan) to come in before the end of August and expect Done, Brayford and maybe Hanson will all depart

Great post DB.

For me I think we'll be lower mid table or mid table. Do think we need another striker though and a centre half. Disappointed if we don't bring in another couple of players.
That's season 2018/2019 in the Premier.

My two penneth.

Your bang on about Coutts. Fully expecting him to prove himself one of the best players of his type in the division.

I'll confidently predict that Wednesday will get found out and don't reach the dizzy heights of 3rd at any point during the season.

I watched their matches on the box closely. Honestly, last season they were not very good. Often quite lucky in nicking points they most definitely did not deserve. Season before, they were good. I see a bit of a declining trend with them. Got nothing to do with rose tinted Blades specs, just think that many pundits will get lofty predictions for Wednesday badly wrong.

UTB

As often, I agree entirely. They've had two chances at the play-offs. Now we have the decline.

Barnsley will be relegated.

Rotherham will be nowhere near the play-offs.

Coutts will have the new Rolls-Royce model named after him.

I didn't see one game at this level all the way through last season. Any that I started watching were slow, tedious and, technically, not very good at all.
Saw the pigs start 3 different games and they were simply awful, yet they finished 4th.
Seen the enormous sums being slung about and it seems to be going on questionable quality.

What do I take from that:
We've nowt to worry unduly about.
Pigs have nowt much to come. THIRD??? Seriously???

I watched quite a few Wednesday games last season. They are very hard to break down. No one ever batters them. On the other hand, to say they have such an expensive and wide choice of strikers, they offer next to nothing going forward. They constantly debate about Foresteri's best position (left wing or up front) and simply do not get the goals they've paid for. I think they were lucky to even get a play off place last season as Leeds capitulated and they kept getting last minute winners/equalisers. My prediction is 9th and the end of Carlos.

Another tremendous piece of work there Deadbat . While I might not entirely agree with your league position predictions, I'm impressed at the effort it must have taken to gather all the information and then articulate it. Your reports and reviews are so much better than the ones available in the media.

I hope you will be attending all the away games this season :)

14) Birmingham

Ins: Marc Roberts (Barnsley), Craig Gardner (West Brom), David Stockdale (Fulham), Cheikh N’Doye (SCO Angers),

==========================================================================================================================================

Stockdale was from us and is an immense piece of business for Birmingham. Without him in our side last season we would most likely have not been promoted. I'm gutted he's gone and fear we may have spent a lot of money in replacing him with an inferior albeit younger stopper. I'm expecting Birmingham to be up around the playoffs.
It's also disappointing to see you have us down for relegation, though I see it's a popular nationwide opinion, I think we will have enough to survive though also expect a few hammerings.
Think you could do better than 15th, I'll be keeping an eye!

Back
Top Bottom