Player Suggestion David Turnbull

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I could very easily give you a list of 20 countries that have crap domestic leagues and national sides but have produced top PL players. As I said, you make a lazy point. There is some real talent emerging up there at the moment, Turnbull being one.
Exactly. If everyone thought like Jim where would the likes of Salah be?
You're missing my point. In the 70s and 80s the top English division was filled with World Class Scottish players, this has declined to the point where you can probably count the number of Scottish players in the top 2 divisions on 2 or 3 hands. There are plenty of reasons for this and I quoted the state of their top division as one of them.

You're missing my point. In the 70s and 80s the top English division was filled with World Class Scottish players, this has declined to the point where you can probably count the number of Scottish players in the top 2 divisions on 2 or 3 hands. There are plenty of reasons for this and I quoted the state of their top division as one of them.

I think you are missing the point that Scotland is still capable of producing the occasional world class player, as are other countries such as Egypt. The fact that Turnbull and others are Scottish doesn’t automatically mean that they wouldn’t be up to it. Robertson being a classic recent example.

Truth is we need 9 players to make up the PL squad numbers. Some will have to be lower cost development players. Lot depends if we sell all of our listed players or if we give development players from the academy a chance, an area CWAK have failed to do in their revolution.

I totally agree 56 with all of this. If we could basically steal the likes of Dowell and Turnbull from their respective clubs I'm 100% for it. I just don't think we can (in our current situation) spend a hefty chunk of our budget on development players. In my opinion that'll happen when we become an established PL team 😁

I think you are missing the point that Scotland is still capable of producing the occasional world class player, as are other countries such as Egypt. The fact that Turnbull and others are Scottish doesn’t automatically mean that they wouldn’t be up to it. Robertson being a classic recent example.
I never said they weren't capable of producing any, just that they haven't in the last 20 years bar a handful.

As a matter of interest, what exactly is your yardstick for 'emerging talent', what is it based on and measured against who ?

I never said they weren't capable of producing any, just that they haven't in the last 20 years bar a handful.

As a matter of interest, what exactly is your yardstick for 'emerging talent', what is it based on and measured against who ?

For me, a 19 year old scoring 15 goals from midfield in his first season represents emerging talent and justifies the buzz and interest around the kid at the moment. He also seems very level headed. It was just a suggestion based on that, and the fact that he would be an affordable gamble. You immediately dismissed it because he’s Scottish.

For me, a 19 year old scoring 15 goals from midfield in his first season represents emerging talent and justifies the buzz and interest around the kid at the moment. He also seems very level headed. It was just a suggestion based on that, and the fact that he would be an affordable gamble. You immediately dismissed it because he’s Scottish.
I didn't dismiss it at all, all I did in my 1st post was ask how many Scottish players had been successful in recent times. Fair enough, you could infer from that that I was dismissing it on that basis alone but that wasn't the case.

I haven't seen the lad so can't comment on him personally but all I will say is that I've seen a few Scottish Prem games and the standard has been shocking, most teams would struggle to get in the Chumpionship. With that in mind, I'm just questioning how Scottish 'form' translates into English Leagues. He may be a gem and obviously I would hope our scouting system would be on the lookout for his type but for me, Scottish football is way below the standard in England and even someone standing out a mile might only be League 1/Championship standard. Jamie Murphy and Ryan Flynn are two obvious examples of players who similarly stood out up there but at the time we bought them, would they have been competing for a place in our Prem squad now ?

I didn't dismiss it at all, all I did in my 1st post was ask how many Scottish players had been successful in recent times. Fair enough, you could infer from that that I was dismissing it on that basis alone but that wasn't the case.

I haven't seen the lad so can't comment on him personally but all I will say is that I've seen a few Scottish Prem games and the standard has been shocking, most teams would struggle to get in the Chumpionship. With that in mind, I'm just questioning how Scottish 'form' translates into English Leagues. He may be a gem and obviously I would hope our scouting system would be on the lookout for his type but for me, Scottish football is way below the standard in England and even someone standing out a mile might only be League 1/Championship standard. Jamie Murphy and Ryan Flynn are two obvious examples of players who similarly stood out up there but at the time we bought them, would they have been competing for a place in our Prem squad now ?

Possibly a fully fit Murphy would have developed, but fair enough.

I follow the SPL closely and you are quite right, it isn’t a fantastic standard although showing some signs of improvement. Kilmarnock were good to watch last season for instance. At the moment there is a handful of young gems, Turnbull looking like the best of them. Worth a gamble? I’ll leave that to Mitchell, Wilder & Knill. But certainly exciting. I think he’ll end up in the EPL soon. He’s been unplayable at times this season, albeit in an average league. I love watching him.

I follow the SPL closely and you are quite right, it isn’t a fantastic standard although showing some signs of improvement. Kilmarnock were good to watch last season for instance. At the moment there is a handful of young gems, Turnbull looking like the best of them. Worth a gamble? I’ll leave that to Mitchell, Wilder & Knill. But certainly exciting. I think he’ll end up in the EPL soon. He’s been unplayable at times this season, albeit in an average league. I love watching him.
I think it's a vicious circle that has affected England and had a knock-on effect in Scotland. As more foreign managers have come into the game, so too have foreign players which means there's less chance for young English players getting chances let alone Scottish particularly in the Prem. Hopefully, having more rules in place for home grown players will go some way to improving it. How the Scottish Prem can shake off the Celtic domination, and improve the standard, I'm not sure, the days of them having 3 or 4 teams challenging in Europe seem a million miles away.

I think it's a vicious circle that has affected England and had a knock-on effect in Scotland. As more foreign managers have come into the game, so too have foreign players which means there's less chance for young English players getting chances let alone Scottish particularly in the Prem. Hopefully, having more rules in place for home grown players will go some way to improving it. How the Scottish Prem can shake off the Celtic domination, and improve the standard, I'm not sure, the days of them having 3 or 4 teams challenging in Europe seem a million miles away.

Agreed, and there have been big issues around Colts football which haven’t helped.

But Europe wise I love that even clubs like St Johnstone (my Scottish team) get the occasional foray into the Europa League qualifiers, they don’t do well in them but its exciting nonetheless.

Agreed, and there have been big issues around Colts football which haven’t helped.

But Europe wise I love that even clubs like St Johnstone (my Scottish team) get the occasional foray into the Europa League qualifiers, they don’t do well in them but its exciting nonetheless.
Yep, funnily enough I bumped into a mate of mine who I haven't seen for a while, Burnley fan, loved his trip to see them play Olympiakos last season !

Already suggested this lad on a post i did... he looks cracking and he has some impressive stats to back him up, whether he's PL level just yet i'm not sure, but i definitely think we should be in for him as a future player

Apparently the Celtic move is in danger of breaking down with the agent touting him to English clubs...

Perhaps there’s still an opportunity to add a promising young player for a reasonable fee if we were interested?

Apparently the Celtic move is in danger of breaking down with the agent touting him to English clubs...

Perhaps there’s still an opportunity to add a promising young player for a reasonable fee if we were interested?
Do you want to play for Lennon or a real manager? Failing that, get the Fleck clan to have a word.

The most notable player who Turnbull's agents represent is Andrew Robertson (Liverpool).

Depends on the offer Celtic made, I imagine it was decent so United aren't about to wade in and trump them also our Chris doesn't like this sort of carry on.

For what facts and who are the other two?

Every time I see the man he’s whining and moaning about something and complaining about abuse when he’s goading the opposition fans. Plus didn’t he threaten his mistress with a knife one time?

I reckon pardew and JT complete the top 3

I've never seen this lad play but you're right there's some real talent in Scotland. I really rate John McGinn who Villa signed for just £3m. I think for all Villa's spending this summer they'll not be replacing him in there.

At £3m, if this lad Turnbull turns out to be as good as McGinn is, different type I know, then I'd be gutted to miss out. Problem is that at 19 and having only played in the SPL we might feel he's not ready yet for the PL or that we can't afford to spend £3m when we are on a supposed limited budget. I say supposed because nobody knows for sure.

Cast our minds back to signing Jamie Murphy and to think we got him for just £250,000 or whatever it was! We had Motherwell's pants down there, even when considering that he was coming to the end of his deal. Still miss Murphy, he was class. We've not a type like him since he left and I think we need someone of that style. Duffy's class though don't get me wrong and is a very clever player, he orchestrates play when at his best.

Every time I see the man he’s whining and moaning about something and complaining about abuse when he’s goading the opposition fans. Plus didn’t he threaten his mistress with a knife one time?
I reckon pardew and JT complete the top 3

Back
Top Bottom