Player Suggestion David Turnbull

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nick Jansky

Reaction score
19 year old Motherwell midfielder. He broke through last season, scoring 15 goals. Apparently £3m would land him but Celtic are showing interest.

CoatesyBlade

Reaction score
19 year old Motherwell midfielder. He broke through last season, scoring 15 goals. Apparently £3m would land him but Celtic are showing interest.
Yes he's thought of very highly. Southampton are keeping an eye on him also.
I think our efforts will be focused on the here and now though for this first season back in the big time!

Jim Chimmerney

Can hear the 'Cod Army' roar from his back garden
Reaction score
How many players have come down from Scotland and been a success in the top division in the last 20 years ?

Nick Jansky

Reaction score
Ha ha yeah Virgil Mc Van Dijk, OK, I meant Scottish players :rolleyes:
But that isn’t what you said. And it does disprove the lazy myth that there is nothing worth looking at in the SPL. There are some excellent young players emerging at the moment and I’m sure Mitchell will have an eye on that market.

CoatesyBlade

Reaction score
There's Robertson, Snodgrass, Fraser, McArthur and one or two others I'm sure.
Over the years there's been some absolute legends of the game come down from Scotland. What would we do to unearth the next Kenny Dalglish?!!

Jim Chimmerney

Reaction score
But that isn’t what you said. And it does disprove the lazy myth that there is nothing worth looking at in the SPL. There are some excellent young players emerging at the moment and I’m sure Mitchell will have an eye on that market.
Yeah, but it's what I meant :)
You only have to look at the Scottish National team to see what 'talent' there is and relatively speaking how good their players are. Their Premier League is a joke unforuntately which doesn't help but you'd think that if there was an abundance of talent up there, it would be more competitive than it is and many more players would be moving down South.

Blade56

It's an agenda not an opinion
Reaction score
Yes he's thought of very highly. Southampton are keeping an eye on him also.
I think our efforts will be focused on the here and now though for this first season back in the big time!
Truth is we need 9 players to make up the PL squad numbers. Some will have to be lower cost development players. Lot depends if we sell all of our listed players or if we give development players from the academy a chance, an area CWAK have failed to do in their revolution.

Jim Chimmerney

Reaction score
There's Robertson, Snodgrass, Fraser, McArthur and one or two others I'm sure.
Over the years there's been some absolute legends of the game come down from Scotland. What would we do to unearth the next Kenny Dalglish?!!
I know times have changed and back in the day clubs didn't dip out of the UK much but back in the 70s and 80s, the likes of Liverpool and Man U contained 4 or 5 world class Scottish players.

CoatesyBlade

Reaction score
You only have to look at the Scottish National team to see what 'talent' there is and relatively speaking how good their players are. Their Premier League is a joke unforuntately which doesn't help but you'd think that if there was an abundance of talent up there, it would be more competitive than it is and many more players would be moving down South.
You don't judge a player on his nations domestic league.
I agree that Scottish football is not at it's strongest at the minute, but that doesn't mean there's not a worldly coming through the ranks up there.
Turnbull is a very exciting prospect there's no doubt about that.

Nick Jansky

Reaction score
I could very easily give you a list of 20 countries that have crap domestic leagues and national sides but have produced top PL players. As I said, you make a lazy point. There is some real talent emerging up there at the moment, Turnbull being one.

Nick Jansky

Reaction score
I agree that Scottish football is not at it's strongest at the minute, but that doesn't mean there's not a worldly coming through the ranks up there.
Exactly. If everyone thought like Jim where would the likes of Salah be?

Jim Chimmerney

Reaction score
That was my 2nd point, I said look at their team. I don't doubt there may be the odd diamond coming through, my point was decen Scottish players have been few and far between in the last 20 years.

Jim Chimmerney

Reaction score
I could very easily give you a list of 20 countries that have crap domestic leagues and national sides but have produced top PL players. As I said, you make a lazy point. There is some real talent emerging up there at the moment, Turnbull being one.
Exactly. If everyone thought like Jim where would the likes of Salah be?
You're missing my point. In the 70s and 80s the top English division was filled with World Class Scottish players, this has declined to the point where you can probably count the number of Scottish players in the top 2 divisions on 2 or 3 hands. There are plenty of reasons for this and I quoted the state of their top division as one of them.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top Bottom