Could a fully fit Ched play behind the front two?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I do have my doubts but do think hes got plenty left in him to do a job for us!
Haven't got a clue. Mark Duffy is so far the player of the season. So the position you suggest, to me is not the position for Mr Evans.

Evans has the ability. You don’t tare apart League one like he did without outrageous talent.

So he gets a tick there.

Working with CW and AK who will get the best out of him! Another tick.

Can / will his body hold up?

I can’t help but feel the desire to crowbar a half fit Evans into a side (who lets not forget are still in playboff contention) is disrespectful to the current first team.

Realistically, he has to prove himself and is running out of time to do so this season. Currently, he’s our unfit 5th choice striker until he proves otherwise.

As for playing as a number 10, he’s a million miles behind Duffy, holmes, brooks and Carruthers.

No he couldn't play behind the front 2.
I will write him off when Wilder does, same as any player. I think Wilder is showing he has no favourites (Sharp), however feel he needs to put Clarke's fut down on the gas again.

Same was said about Coutts being transfer listed 18 months ago and the signing of Leon the Lion though.

Not by me it wasn't.

Evans has the ability. You don’t tare apart League one like he did without outrageous talent.

So he gets a tick there.

Working with CW and AK who will get the best out of him! Another tick.

Can / will his body hold up?

Evans may have "the ability" but the question is does he have the ability to play in attacking midfield?

(The answer is no by the way)

I don't hate Ched but I don't like him very much either.

Football wise it'll be a miracle if he gets anywhere near where he was - and I don't feel any personal attachment to his succss or failure either. I genuinely don't understand why so many people do

This is pretty much it. I'm only gonna talk in football terms because I don't want to open *that door*, but he has to be a striker, if he's going to be anything. That's probably the most over-employed position in the squad. He's behind Clarke, Donaldson, Wilson and Sharp in the pecking order, and he'd have to be spectacular to get more than a handful of appearances this season. He can't play behind the strikers. He IS a striker. And aside from a good season a tier below 6 years ago, there's nothing to suggest he can perform at this level, certainly not to the standard we need for a play-off push. I've found Wilder's transfer policy spot-on in the main, but buying him for half a million quid last summer and then admitting he needs surgery and a long recovery period before he can play was a huge bollock drop.

If and I do stress the if we ever get the Ched back of the league 1 campaign then he’d be better in the front two , I think that season he shed about half a stone in pre-season and was a lot faster over 10 yards than what he was in the championship the previously.
There’s no one more than me that would like to see him back to his best and firing on 4 cylinders but he’s been a long time out of the game and carrying a persistent injury , if he’s over this after the op he needs to playing football whether that’s here while he’s building things up is a different matter may poss go out on loan ?

heres a man who had his career ripped away from him by a totally unjust conviction
yes he was nob , nobbing her in a hotel room , but lets face it a lot more have had casual sex than just Ched
We may have some who blame him , but its legally proven hes not what he was sent down for

He therefore has something to drive him on
to prove he has the talent , he needs to show he could have been a legend
I think when these niggling injuries clear up he will perform , maybe more next season than this though

Been a total waste of time and money, Wilders worst decision since he got the job. How long will it be till hes fully fit? I think never!

If we can get him back to the form of either 07/08 or 11/12, great. If not he leaves the club. We know he has the ability, it's whether he can recapture it again is the unknown. He's just turned 29 and does have some time on his side, and at the moment if we do have a slight Achilles heel, it's our main strike force will be 34, 33 and 32 in the summer.

Here's an idea, perhaps he could play centre-back, like Paul Warhurst in reverse?

Joking aside, we have fulfilled whatever debt of honour McCabe felt he had to this chap, time to move on now.

Been a total waste of time and money, Wilders worst decision since he got the job. How long will it be till hes fully fit? I think never!

You’re not making sense. His contract is performance related play.
If he’s shit he hardly costs anything. If he’s great then he’ll cost the club a lot of dosh.

So the deal makes logical sense.
The only downside is if we were totally reliant on him coming good.
However Wilder has that covered because he’s already got cover up front.
He’s already prepared for Ched to be a flop, so we can’t really lose.

Basically Ched is a calculated low cost risk, with unlikely but very high rewards.
And the other significant bit is that apparently he’s popular with the players so morale remains high.
The Ched deal is (exagerrating a bit) almost like buying a lottery ticket for a £1.

Here's an idea, perhaps he could play centre-back, like Paul Warhurst in reverse?

Joking aside, we have fulfilled whatever debt of honour McCabe felt he had to this chap, time to move on now.

What are you talking about?
Willder will make sure all the squad players are given a chance regardless of what McCabe wants.
He’s barely come back from injury and will be given the next few months to impress.
Agree there’s naturally a lot of doubt but it’s unwise to write anyone off yet (Coutts being a prime example).
We need to get behind the team?

Personally not bothered either way about Ched but he’s proven he does have the tools to be an asset and make us better.

For me, resigning Ched - who had hardly pulled up any trees at Chessie - made no footballing sense. The application of Occam's Razor suggests there was more to it than a straightforward calculation of his footballing merits. Whether that is correct or not, it was clearly a gamble that hasn't paid off. Rather than try to find inventive ways to shoehorn him into the team we should be looking to part company at the end of the season.

Behind the strikers, no - he's a striker full stop. Personally I really hope he can get fit and have some impact for us again. I don't really get the people who still seem to have a massive issue with him - yes he did a stupid thing but surely he's more than paid for it hasn't he? Do you really think his girlfriend would have stood by him, helped him eventually prove he was not guilty of rape and had a child with him (along with her family's blessing), if he was the degenerate some still make him out to be?
Yes it's going to be difficult for him to regain his form after so long out of the game and then being hampered by injuries, but I'm sure being falsely imprisoned for several years is quite a motivator.
It's also worth saying that when he played for us in the Championship previously, we absolutely did not play to his strengths, he quality of football was poor and he fed on scraps. The football we played under Wilson in that first season in L1 was by far the closest in style to how we play now and he thrived on it. Also when comparing his tally to Rhodes that season, remember he was out for about 11 weeks injured at the start of that season.
Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion, but can't we just give the bloke a break? And my how he owes us!!

He has to earn his place in training.
If he earns that place it'll probably be on the bench and he'll have to earn a starting berth by performances when he comes onto the pitch.
I think he'll achieve both these things despite the fact we have 3 great strikers at the club already.
Can he also play in the hole, again yes he has the strength to hold up the ball and the guile to make a shot.
Of course we won't find out whether this is the case until he does it (or not).

For me, resigning Ched - who had hardly pulled up any trees at Chessie - made no footballing sense. The application of Occam's Razor suggests there was more to it than a straightforward calculation of his footballing merits. Whether that is correct or not, it was clearly a gamble that hasn't paid off. Rather than try to find inventive ways to shoehorn him into the team we should be looking to part company at the end of the season.

Wilder doesn’t shoehorn anyone into a team.
It was always going to be a calculated risk. Suspect you have an agenda that’s not football related.
I’m sure Wilder will give him his chance over the 2nd half of the season.
Wilder has said plenty of times, he’s loyal but not sentimental.
If Cheds not up to it, then surely he’ll be gone next season. Wilders record says he’s earnt the right to trust his judgement.

Looking forward to watching Ched tear the *PL defences apart next season....

*Evo-Stik PL

Him and Coulson up front for The Seadogs... frightening.

The good news he's going to get the chance to prove himself all over again. I think he will not only be good but will get us challenging for the no2 spot. He will add a bit of fury up front or just behind the front two and won't be bullied

Still better than Jordan Rhodes.

He looks so leggy now everytime I've seen him (doesn't move freely at all), his first touch hasn't been great either but you could put that down to a lack of match sharpness.

It's impossible to say what being banged up for 2.5 years does to you physically but based on what we've seen I can't see him getting near the bench unless we had a very bad injury crises. There are going to be no more cup games for him to get a run out so I think best we can hope for is a loan so he can somehow be sold on for £100K+ so cut our losses.

I don’t see why this would even be a consideration? Apart from the fact that people desperate for him to play might think it gives him more of a chance. I just don’t get why everyone is so obsessed with getting him in the team.

Realistically unless he’s got loads better after being injured I can’t see him getting ANY game time this year... he’s more or less 6th choice striker at the moment... and even if 4 of the other forwards were injured I’d still expect us to play another midfielder (e.g Holmes) instead of him starting up top with one of said other 5.

23 goals in 102 championship appearances.

As a reference, according to my super computer, Clarke's at 43 goals in 205 championship appearances and Sharp's on 86 in 277. As Bruce Springsteen once sang, everything dies baby that's a fact, but maybe everything that dies someday comes back. :) Clarke has been written off in his career, and I'm not writing Ched off just yet, well not until he's a had a full, injury free season at this level.

He looks so leggy now everytime I've seen him (doesn't move freely at all), his first touch hasn't been great either but you could put that down to a lack of match sharpness.

It's impossible to say what being banged up for 2.5 years does to you physically but based on what we've seen I can't see him getting near the bench unless we had a very bad injury crises. There are going to be no more cup games for him to get a run out so I think best we can hope for is a loan so he can somehow be sold on for £100K+ so cut our losses.

How often have you seen him?
I’ve seen him twice, first time (home to Walsall) looked really good, second time (home to Norwich) looked really poor
But it’s alreay been explained that he was playing with an injury (giving him pain) that was holding him back.

Also there’s no losses that need cutting. By today’s standards he’s hardly cost us anything.
He also fits the model of Wilders signings, players at low cost with potential that are hungry to succeed.

It was worth a punt because his signing was low risk, low cost with potential (but unlikely) high gain.I think he can only be judged fairly from February to the end of the season. Wilder and Knill see him every day in training. They’ll know what kind of player they’ve got and will no doubt make an informed assesssment at the end of the season. As already said wouldn’t be surprised to see him go.

The interesting decison is whether we try to loan him out (to get games) or keep him at the club (this season) hoping he comes good.

Last edited:

How often have you seen him?
I’ve seen him twice, first time (home to Walsall) looked really good, second time (home to Norwich) looked really poor
But it’s alreay been explained that he was playing with an injury (giving him pain) that was holding him back.

Also there’s no losses that need cutting. By today’s standards he’s hardly cost us anything.
He also fits the model of Wilders signings, players at low cost with potential that are hungry to succeed.

It was worth a punt because his signing was low risk, low cost with potential (but unlikely) high gain.I think he can only be judged fairly from February to the end of the season. Wilder and Knill see him every day in training. They’ll know what kind of player they’ve got and will no doubt make an informed assesssment at the end of the season. As already said wouldn’t be surprised to see him go.

The interesting decison is whether we try to loan him out (to get games) or keep him at the club (this season) hoping he comes good.

Only those two games plus the U23s last night.

I don't know how you can class signing Ched Evans as low risk – not just from a footballing perspective but a PR point of view.

Back
Top Bottom