Continuation of last season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Patrick Suffaux

Reaction score
This is not a meltdown. It’s one game and I’m hopeful of my fears being proved wrong but the same theme today as evident towards the end of last season.

1. Teams set up to stop us in wide areas. Our favourite trick has been sussed.

2. Completely blown out after chasing the game from the first second.
No energy late on.

3. Naive defensively. The three can’t cope when they’re 3 on 3 vs. quality attacking players.

Hopefully Wilder will finally start to see it and address some of the issues but based on that evidence we will probably be just good enough to stay out of trouble. That Swansea side will be bottom half. Nothing about them but they did deserve to win that. Sounds insulting to United but it’s true. We did nothing after Baldock’s goal.

The team is better on paper so maybe a few games to gel is what we need but it all looked very familiar and that worries me.

We were found out by November with this system and set of players.

Definition of madness is doing the same and expecting a different result.

Henderson for blackman, mcgoldrick for Donaldson and Egan for stearman offers us no more threat going forward & gives us no more toughness at the back when we’re 1up - which was our downfall last season.

We were poor in the market in January and this summer looks to be a similar story

Not a good enough, it will be a long season by the looks of it. Sheffield double :(

Nowt has changed in nine months.

It might improve. We need to evolve a bit. That was more of the same and it’s been sussed. I don’t care what Wilder says.

It was a replay of Bristol City, Villa, Cardiff at home etc. Any side with a little bit of attacking quality can unpick us.

I actually think that the squad has improved, we just need to broaden our style of play. Too predictable. Sorry Tufty fan club (I like the guy myself) but repetition repetition is only any good if it’s working.

We were a little unlucky to lose although Swansea created slightly more better chances but not much in it.

We’re missing some midfield creativity.
I think Duffy needs to start with the option of Woodburn to replace as he tires.
Lundstram and Evans are solid enough but both of them together in a midfield three just doesn’t create enough chances.

Baldock - took his goal well but looks shakey defensively.

Agree with the above about “same old story” since Coutts got injured. We need him back.

Hard to comment much on the performance of strikers when the had pretty much no chances of note.

We were a little unlucky to lose although Swansea created slightly more better chances but not much in it.

We’re missing some midfield creativity.
I think Duffy needs to start with the option of Woodburn to replace as he tires.
Lundstram and Evans are solid enough but both of them together in a midfield three just doesn’t create enough chances.

Baldock - took his goal well but looks shakey defensively.

Agree with the above about “same old story” since Coutts got injured. We need him back.

Hard to comment much on the performance of strikers when the had pretty much no chances of note.

I’m confident that if you do all of what you say.....the result would be the same. Sorry, manager needs to rethink.

I’m confident that if you do all of what you say.....the result would be the same. Sorry, manager needs to rethink.

Maybe, maybe not. But I doubt at this stage that Wilder will change the whole system. What made this system work was the fearlessness and attacking threat. We’re not very good at defending a lead, or trying to hold on. At the start of last season we were creating far more chances than we do now, and whether or not we were leading didn’t make a difference to the way we were playing.

I think Wilder has gone a bit too defensive.

In another month if it’s still not working, then I agree - we need to try something completely different.

Maybe, maybe not. But I doubt at this stage that Wilder will change the whole system. What made this system work was the fearlessness and attacking threat. We’re not very good at defending a lead, or trying to hold on. At the start of last season we were creating far more chances than we do now, and whether or not we were leading didn’t make a difference to the way we were playing.

I think Wilder has gone a bit too defensive.

In another month if it’s still not working, then I agree - we need to try something completely different.

He doesn’t need to change the whole system. He needs to add to it.

On Wilder going defensive. Sorry, just my
Opinion but you’re way off the mark there. That isn’t it.

It might look that way at times because the way we play causes loss of impetus and energy, allowing the opposition to take over. That’s not the first time we have witnessed it.

why does he play evans and lundstram together, they both do exactly the same. you could tell we was struggling up top aswell

Need to play a creative midfielder in this system otherwise the play goes nowhere, Coutts made it tick as did Duffy when in the form of his life last Autumn, Evans and Lundstram doesn’t cut it.
I’m bumping your post to make a comment HG, could have done it to a few but couldn’t wait.
Is CW trying to wing it until coutts is back, has the horse already bolted, as regards bringing in a coutts type replacement/ stop gap.

I think it would have been obvious to Wilder at half-time what the problem was - too lightweight up front, no guile and little imagination. Not a single shot for the Swans' goalie to save. But what could he do? He knows (as do we) that at least one more forward is needed. If today had ended 1-1, we'd have got away with it. Swansea took the first half to take a good look at us and turned the screw - a fair result.

Until a decent striker is available/affordable, we're stuck with what we've got. No need for a wholesale system change, just a few days to get someone in. No need to panic. No need for talk of 'a long, hard winter.'

I thought it was a very good game, despite their recent sales, Swansea had quality all over the pitch. And what a roar when our goal went in!

I think it would have been obvious to Wilder at half-time what the problem was - too lightweight up front, no guile and little imagination. Not a single shot for the Swans' goalie to save. But what could he do? He knows (as do we) that at least one more forward is needed. If today had ended 1-1, we'd have got away with it. Swansea took the first half to take a good look at us and turned the screw - a fair result.

Until a decent striker is available/affordable, we're stuck with what we've got. No need for a wholesale system change, just a few days to get someone in. No need to panic. No need for talk of 'a long, hard winter.'

I thought it was a very good game, despite their recent sales, Swansea had quality all over the pitch. And what a roar when our goal went in!

You’re trying to find cover for him. He had
The third highest football league scorer in history on the bench, an experienced midfield playmaker and one of the most highly rated young talents from the Premier League. He had plenty of ammunition on the sidelines.

Need to play a creative midfielder in this system otherwise the play goes nowhere, Coutts made it tick as did Duffy when in the form of his life last Autumn, Evans and Lundstram doesn’t cut it.

yep - spot on.

Very disappointed with initial team selection.

Where the fuck is the creativity when Fleck has a poor day like he did today?

UTB

I think we need to provide our strikers with better service. Midfield was predictable and pedestrian at best today.

As others have touched on . When you play our system you have to have a attacking midfielder whether thats duff Holmes or the Liverpool lad
You also need your wing backs to be aggressive and a threat going forward . Baldock is OK and doing well ( he actually did a 'freeman ' for his goal and drifted into the box on the opposite side something freeman always did allot )
Stevens unfortunately offers very very little

With our system we don't have wingers causing issues and have no pace so the movement and quick thinking is essential
Stevens , Evans and lundstram are far far too slow and predictable for this system

Back
Top Bottom