Player Suggestion Conor Hourahane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Apparently Villa are getting rid and although we don’t want cast offs I think he is a powerful player a good tackler and has scored goals, looking at t’internet he’s on about £30k a week could be a bit steep for us

Literally came here 2 minutes ago to see if there was any info on this. A random Blades Twitter account was claiming it's a possible thing... But I see nothing linking us.

Top Championship player, great quality in that left foot... I'd be all for it tbh.

Sounds like he might be off to Bournemouth on loan with an option to buy if they're promoted.

Decent deal for them.

First Wilshere and now Hourahane...are Bmuff planning on selling Brooks this window?

This is by far the best thread on Conor Hourihane I've read recently, miles better than the other two. They are utter shite, a bit like our midfield at the moment.

Imho if we can afford the wages this ought to be a no brainer. If we go down adds quality if we stay up he is in my opinion a better option than Norwood. Norwood had a decent season with a team full of confidence, previouslyexcellent in the lower leagues. In a team lacking confidence and full of nerves his short comings are exacerbated. He looks like a rabbit in the headlights. Through no fault of his own he just hasn't the technical abilities required in the Prem.
The team does need a major overhaul, if we go down as looks likely, some believe we'll bounce straight back but if we do the players we already have will be another year older and who amongst them have shown the ability to keep us up? Who are we going to buy that is Prem class? Who in the current squad is Prem class? Egan, O'Connell and Berge. Hopefully, Bogle and Brewster reach that standard. Who else? Loaning Hourahane with an option to buy would at least improve the current midfield

Would United take Hourahane as part of Sander Berge deal if Villa are interested in signing him if the Blades go down and the Swans don't sign him in summer. Good goal scoring record in Championship 4 goals in 7 games for Swans so far 2nd half this season. He would score far more than Norwood & Lumbstram would score and he knows how to get those freekicks into the back of the net. Utd don't seem to have any player at present who can score from those freekick spots just outside the penalty box

Would United take Hourahane as part of Sander Berge deal if Villa are interested in signing him if the Blades go down and the Swans don't sign him in summer. Good goal scoring record in Championship 4 goals in 7 games for Swans so far 2nd half this season. He would score far more than Norwood & Lumbstram would score and he knows how to get those freekicks into the back of the net. Utd don't seem to have any player at present who can score from those freekick spots just outside the penalty box

That would be a shrewd bit of business.

would love us to go for hourihanne and the way fleck is playing he would get his spot​

would love us to go for hourihanne be great competition for fleck 20m plus him for sander would do

Is there anyone else we could get Villa to throw in as make-weights in the Berge transfer?
Surely we would be spoilt for choice?
Let the bidding begin.

Is there anyone else we could get Villa to throw in as make-weights in the Berge transfer?
Surely we would be spoilt for choice?
Let the bidding begin.
There’s the young lads Davis upfront bit of a battering ram would be a bit of a madine type but younger without the baggage.

He's left footed so wouldn't be playing instead of Lunny on the right

He's left footed so wouldn't be playing instead of Lunny on the right
wonder if fleck could be used in the number 10 spot next season ? then hourihane could be brought in as the left sided midfielder and maybe get jon swift in for the right side ?

There's no way anyone will be able to spell his name, so a no from me.

He’s 30 year’s old and cant get in Villa’s first team. Isn’t it a bit short-termist? Even if he does help us to get promoted next season, we’d have to replace him for the Prem...shouldn’t we be looking for longer term solutions? 🤷‍♂️
but villa have far better players than us he would walk in to our championship team and mcburnie and brewster our current long term solutions ..well they havent been a roaring success have they 🤨

We wouldn't have been interested in Villas 30 year old cast offs for the 3 years running up to this season, so why are we suddenly interested now?

Frankly I'd rather we start looking to the future. He ain't better than what we got. I think people just band him about about because it's a familiar name.

We wouldn't have been interested in Villas 30 year old cast offs for the 3 years running up to this season, so why are we suddenly interested now?

Frankly I'd rather we start looking to the future. He ain't better than what we got. I think people just band him about about because it's a familiar name.
What have we got though?
  • Lundstram: just going through the motions at the moment and won't be here next season
  • Norwood: appears to be unable to run anymore and makes at least one bad mistake every game
  • Fleck: currently alternating between his "John" & "Jimmy" personas
  • Berge: injured but probably on his way in the summer
  • Osborn: runs around and gets involved, but not really a first XI player

Agree Hourihane's age is against him (although only a few months older than Fleck & Norwood) but he's creative, scores goals, and is good on set-pieces. Only snag is he'd probably want to play in Fleck's position.

What have we got though?
  • Lundstram: just going through the motions at the moment and won't be here next season
  • Norwood: appears to be unable to run anymore and makes at least one bad mistake every game

Agree Hourihane's age is against him (although only a few months older than Fleck & Norwood) but he's creative, scores goals, and is good on set-pieces. Only snag is he'd probably want to play in Fleck's position.
Other snags to Hourihane are that he is weak, slow, small, cant tackle, cant head and is very one footed. Cant see much improvement on Norwood other than probably not doing the glaring goal costing errors every week.

What have we got though?

Whatever you think of our current midfielders. I can't see how Hourihane is an upgrade on them. Surely if we are going to improve we need better players with careers in front of them!

Other snags to Hourihane are that he is weak, slow, small, cant tackle, cant head and is very one footed. Cant see much improvement on Norwood other than probably not doing the glaring goal costing errors every week.

Norwood the Championship player is better than Hourihane the Championship player

What have we got though?

I agree we haven’t got much in that area right now however this could be our best chance for a while to build for the future and get it right 30 year old stop gaps could backfire on us significantly.

He’s 30 year’s old and cant get in Villa’s first team. Isn’t it a bit short-termist? Even if he does help us to get promoted next season, we’d have to replace him for the Prem...shouldn’t we be looking for longer term solutions? 🤷‍♂️
I think the issue is that our reliance on promising youngsters has backfired massively this season. Maybe we could do with a bit of Championship know-how and experience in the team. I'd prefer younger midfield targets like Mowatt or Swift but next season is our best chance at bouncing back up, so if those targets aren't available we could do worse than to go with the tried and tested.

I think the issue is that our reliance on promising youngsters has backfired massively this season. Maybe we could do with a bit of Championship know-how and experience in the team. I'd prefer younger midfield targets like Mowatt or Swift but next season is our best chance at bouncing back up, so if those targets aren't available we could do worse than to go with the tried and tested.
It’s a sound argument and certainly a valid concern however we’re likely to have a fair amount of championship experience around without buying it in. Basham is likely to stay along with fleck, billy and Didzy. Others will likely be hard to shift players like Norwood and Stevens. In addition to this quite a few of our high value assets have experience at that level O’Connell, Egan, baldock, McBurnie and bogle. I’d argue we’ve got space for some high upside but inexperienced players in that mix.

It’s a sound argument and certainly a valid concern however we’re likely to have a fair amount of championship experience around without buying it in. Basham is likely to stay along with fleck, billy and Didzy. Others will likely be hard to shift players like Norwood and Stevens. In addition to this quite a few of our high value assets have experience at that level O’Connell, Egan, baldock, McBurnie and bogle. I’d argue we’ve got space for some high upside but inexperienced players in that mix.
I agree with that. I think the lack of Premier League experience has hurt us this season, but as you say there is a lot of Championship experience in our current squad. It all depends what sort of movement out there is in the summer. If we keep the majority of the current players, then we should be looking to bring in promising young players to compete with the more experienced. The biggest hole we've got at the moment is at RCM as we have neither experience nor a promising youngster for this position and with Hourihane being a left footer, he ain't gonna help us with this issue.

* A lot of the above is based on the assumption that players like Norwood, Fleck, Stevens are not the busted flushes they have looked like this season and are capable of rediscovering some sort of form!

I agree with that. I think the lack of Premier League experience has hurt us this season, but as you say there is a lot of Championship experience in our current squad. It all depends what sort of movement out there is in the summer. If we keep the majority of the current players, then we should be looking to bring in promising young players to compete with the more experienced. The biggest hole we've got at the moment is at RCM as we have neither experience nor a promising youngster for this position and with Hourihane being a left footer, he ain't gonna help us with this issue.

* A lot of the above is based on the assumption that players like Norwood, Fleck, Stevens are not the busted flushes they have looked like this season and are capable of rediscovering some sort of form!
Yeah prem experience has been lacking I agree. I think regardless of whether Norwood and Stevens are busted flushes or not we should be planning on phasing them out due to their age just because even in a best case scenario by the time we’re back in the prem they’re unlikely to be athletically up too it.

The issue for us as a club is that we in general can’t sign young exciting players with experience at champ level just because of the fees those players are now commanding. Therefore our options are either experienced and steady ala Norwood or Egan or exciting but unproven. Given that our issues are creative I’d rather go exciting but unproven in those positions rather than steady but unspectacular.

Back
Top Bottom