Coming Soon - Paddy Kenny 'The gloves are off...'

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Won’t be funding his coffers to tune of 15 nicker ,know a lot about the lad & more that will never make print , PS if anyone was wanting to purchase it on the low down re QPR he left for the dough that season , know this for a fact from a very very reliable source so if any other picture is being painted then it’s bollocks ,obvs his prerogative , short career and all that . Give 2 years it’ll be on the 20p shelf in charity shop next to Kevin Blackwell’s The Art Of Charisma ... and still think I’d walk past it then.

I think my point is he is not really well known to average football fans - he spent maybe 2 seasons out of a 20 year career at the top level - and played for 10 clubs not three I think. I was surprised he played for Ireland 7 times? Was he the back up to Given - i assume these were friendly games but still impressive to get that many caps as I thought he had only played maybe once or twice.

I am not sure outside of a few United and maybe QPR fans who would be that interested in reading 300 pages on him. Just did not think he is worth 'a book'

Maybe loads of Blades would spend £15 on his book but I doubt it.
Bob Booker was worth one.

Not sure that this would be a very interesting read.

Maybe the bit about why he left after the drugs test and the Muscat fight but 300 pages of stories of him getting drunk in a restaurant/pub and then having a fight. Not sure anyone outside of a few hundred United fans would be that bothered. Enjoyed Danny Hall's other books but I am not sure many people are desperate to read a story about a journeyman keeper from the lower leagues noone has really heard of outside of the clubs he played for. Think maybe an article in the Star may have sufficed here but a whole book?

I think there are other United players that would generate more interest - Billy Whitehurst for instance, although his might be full of fights also come to think of it!

I can't say any of these football autobiographies/biographies appeal to me tbh. These kind of books are written to try and make a few quid for ex-players, not because they've had an interesting life, or made a major contribution to society necessarily. I'd rather read about someone interesting who achieved something with their lives and improved lives for others. Inventors, Scientists, Explorers, Military Leaders, Philanthropists, etc. That sort of thing.

I’m sure there are many different opinions on what makes a good autobiography. I personally would rather read a Bob Booker or a Robin Friday type book than one where the main protagonist is so laden with trophies that they cannot remember one from another.

The main thing is that Danny has taken his skill and love of the blades and given us additional resource to enjoy. I’m sure he won’t be retiring on the profits. It’s another addition to his CV after the enjoyable Wilder book. Can we not just wish him well with it instead of the undercurrent of moaning?

Good luck with it stringer

I may have commented before re Paddy. I don’t have any inside knowledge of him or his contracts. However, we were slowly turning in to a shit show. His old boss who spotted him, developed him and whom had him playing his best football of his life came in for him. Offering a pay rise. With a better chance of promotion. . . I don’t begrudge him. He went on to be their player of the year I believe. . . We’d have stayed up if he’d stayed here.

I’m sure there are many different opinions on what makes a good autobiography. I personally would rather read a Bob Booker or a Robin Friday type book than one where the main protagonist is so laden with trophies that they cannot remember one from another.

The main thing is that Danny has taken his skill and love of the blades and given us additional resource to enjoy. I’m sure he won’t be retiring on the profits. It’s another addition to his CV after the enjoyable Wilder book. Can we not just wish him well with it instead of the undercurrent of moaning?

I may have commented before re Paddy. I don’t have any inside knowledge of him or his contracts. However, we were slowly turning in to a shit show. His old boss who spotted him, developed him and whom had him playing his best football of his life came in for him. Offering a pay rise. With a better chance of promotion. . . I don’t begrudge him. He went on to be their player of the year I believe. . . We’d have stayed up if he’d stayed here.

Spot on, I've enjoyed Danny's previous two books, as well as the Bob Booker book (although I've never got round to reading the Robin Friday book), and am looking forward to reading the Paddy book. Just pull your finger out stringer and get the Kindle version released!

I have always been an avid reader. Bio and autobiographies are always a favourite, because whoever it is in the sporting world, they have always had more interesting lives than me.
The ability to relate a good story is something I have always admired in others.
Good luck with this and I hope it does well for you Danny, and for Paddy.

I'm not sure many are digging at Danny. It's more that quite a few have experience of Paddy away from football and whilst liking him as a player during a decent time, we're not particularly keen on him as an individual.

I'm not sure many are digging at Danny. It's more that quite a few have experience of Paddy away from football and whilst liking him as a player during a decent time, we're not particularly keen on him as an individual.
Maybe, and apologies if I am misreading it, but there seems to be a veiled "Why have you bothered?" kind of theme underlying a lot of comments. I take that as a dig at the author.

Local journalist and Blades fan writes two books about Sheffield United.

Books are well received: many people think they are excellent.

He writes another book, about a player who had a long and interesting career, most of it at the Lane.

For reasons that escape me, some people queue up to say they won’t be buying it.

I’ll be buying it. I trust Danny’s writing over the opinion of a few whingers.

Local journalist and Blades fan writes two books about Sheffield United.

Books are well received: many people think they are excellent.

He writes another book, about a player who had a long and interesting career, most of it at the Lane.

For reasons that escape me, some people queue up to say they won’t be buying it.

I’ll be buying it. I trust Danny’s writing over the opinion of a few whingers.

Blah blah. I've got one of Danny's books and it's very good.

I also have personal experience of Paddy and as well as him slagging United off when it suits, I find him to be....well not someone I'm fussed about to be polite.

Therefore I've no interest in lining his pocket no matter how small.

Others will no doubt enjoy it and good luck to them and Danny.

Don't expect people not to air their views on a forum though.

CHRISTMAS DAY and Sheffield United manager Kevin Blackwell was on the warpath in a corridor at Bramall Lane. Ambushing goalkeeper Paddy Kenny he challenged him to a fight. “Come on then,” said the boss.

What happened next is part of a most remarkable page-turner about to reach the bookshelves. Often funny, sometimes sad, occasionally angry, always brutally honest. Maybe too honest. Hope, despair, triumph, disaster and a hint of farce. At times uncomfortable.

CHRISTMAS DAY and Sheffield United manager Kevin Blackwell was on the warpath in a corridor at Bramall Lane. Ambushing goalkeeper Paddy Kenny he challenged him to a fight. “Come on then,” said the boss.

What happened next is part of a most remarkable page-turner about to reach the bookshelves. Often funny, sometimes sad, occasionally angry, always brutally honest. Maybe too honest. Hope, despair, triumph, disaster and a hint of farce. At times uncomfortable.

Noticed the play off correction from 2003 to 2009.👍

Not sure that this would be a very interesting read.

Maybe the bit about why he left after the drugs test and the Muscat fight but 300 pages of stories of him getting drunk in a restaurant/pub and then having a fight. Not sure anyone outside of a few hundred United fans would be that bothered. Enjoyed Danny Hall's other books but I am not sure many people are desperate to read a story about a journeyman keeper from the lower leagues noone has really heard of outside of the clubs he played for. Think maybe an article in the Star may have sufficed here but a whole book?

I think there are other United players that would generate more interest - Billy Whitehurst for instance, although his might be full of fights also come to think of it!

Guess it depends on how it's done with these things, they do seem to vary a lot. I actually quite enjoyed Warnock's Made in Sheffield book, whereas with Peter Crouch's How to be a Footballer I was bored stupid and gave up after 70 pages of shit about what overpaid footballer's blow their excessive wages on.

Guess it depends on how it's done with these things, they do seem to vary a lot. I actually quite enjoyed Warnock's Made in Sheffield book, whereas with Peter Crouch's How to be a Footballer I was bored stupid and gave up after 70 pages of shit about what overpaid footballer's blow their excessive wages on.

Di Canios autobiography was brilliant. Ill swerve the Crouch one. They are hit and miss youre right.

Would have thought Paddy Kenny a bit niche for one, but that probably means it'll be more blades content.

Paul Cannovile's autobiography is a cracking read. Highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom