Chris Wilder on Goals on Sunday next week

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm still seeing comments about him being a "younger Warnock". There is a thread here on the Bristol City site that shows just how many football fans still know nothing about him. Obviously Bristol City fans don't represent every fan base but I imagine there are similar feelings throughout football with half the people knowing what he, and we, are all about and others just presuming based on where Wilder is from.

To be fair, it’s mainly the ’Joe Jordan‘ goon that seems to have a problem with Wilder/ us. The rest are complementary in the main or at least reasoned.

Wilder was superb on this, and definitely great value for the neutral. He was hilarious talking about the two goals we conceded against Chelsea. “Deano, what are you doing there.” “Look, here go our two centre backs competing for the header, oh great there you go lads well done.” Also said Baldock’s goal yesterday was a complete shank (in the nicest possible way!). Nice seeing the video montages they’d done on his career too. Spent the segment wondering if my Mrs would ever let me name our kid “Chris”.

Wilder was superb on this, and definitely great value for the neutral. He was hilarious talking about the two goals we conceded against Chelsea. “Deano, what are you doing there.” “Look, here go our two centre backs competing for the header, oh great there you go lads well done.” Also said Baldock’s goal yesterday was a complete shank (in the nicest possible way!). Nice seeing the video montages they’d done on his career too. Spent the segment wondering if my Mrs would ever let me name our kid “Chris”.

He was having a lot of banter with Chris Kamara. Think the ordinary football fan on the street would have been impressed.
There was quite a few jokey quips from Wilder, unlike many managers he showed he had personality.

Wilder said he was now having a few days break in the sun during the International break. The women asked him if he was taking his players abroad with him.
Wilder replied “believe or not.... Sheffield United now have quite a lot of players who are internationals, so there’d hardly be anyone there”.

Thought it was funny when Kamara asked him what he said to his players after the match after playing so well.
Wilder said “nothing really I was in a rush and quickly getting ready to go out that evening”.

Later Kamara asked him if he had words with Enda Stevens after the match about his mistake for their goal.
Wilder replied “No I didn’t have time....I’ve already said I was getting dressed to go out”.

Another observation I noticed was he got the balance right between
Bigging himself and Sheffield United up......and being modest giving praise to other clubs and other managers.

Its like the “emperors new clothes” story, everyone uses the logic that because he’s English, from the lower divisions speaking with a Sheffield accent

Thought I read elsewhere that Wilder doesn't really have a Sheffield accent?

Did Kamara and Wilder ever play together for the Blades?

Didn’t play together but they know each other well because Kamara signed Wilder when he was manager at Bradford. He played every match for a full season and left about the same time Kamara was sacked.

Kamara joked that he probably learnt everything Wilder knows whilst he was his player at Bradford. Then he was more serious and told Wilder he’s so pleased that he’s doing well.

Another funny story on the show was the Wilder said he thinks English managers get a raw deal and should be more valued, He bigged up Howard Wilkinson and Sam Alladyce for being trail blazers with new ideas. He also praised Steve Bruce saying he’s always be a friend giving good advice when ever he’s rang him.

Then he mentioned Dave Basset was and still is one of his big mentors and said that he texted him after the Spurs match praising him for a good performance but he was saying what he’d done wrong tactically and how I should have done things differently .....Wilder laughed and said even now he tries to give me ideas about how we could have played better.

Last edited:
Thought I read elsewhere that Wilder doesn't really have a Sheffield accent?
He doesn’t. It’s a weird hybrid that people often end up with when they move around a lot as a youngster. Anyone who heard him and didn’t know who he was wouldn’t think he was from Sheffield.

He doesn’t. It’s a weird hybrid that people often end up with when they move around a lot as a youngster. Anyone who heard him and didn’t know who he was wouldn’t think he was from Sheffield.

I thought he sounded similar to Doncaster born Kevin Keegan.

His accent isn’t always Sheffield, it wavers around but he does tend to use Sheffield/ Yorkshire words.

On Sunday he said the word “summut” instead of “something”.

To be fair there is one comment comparing him to Warnock and one stating that is ridiculous

The rest are mixed with a few complimentary and a few from straw munching yokels but I guess all forums are a bit mad

“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.

`Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: `we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.’

”How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.

`You must be,’ said the Cat, `or you wouldn’t have come here.’

He was at Southampton for 4 years as a youngster so that is probably why his accent isn't that northern.

He was at Southampton for 4 years as a youngster so that is probably why his accent isn't that northern.
Yes, that’s why I said it was typical of someone who’d moved around a lot. I think he was very young when he moved there and probably started to pick up a bit of a Hampshire accent. You often find a lot of people in the forces like that.

Anyone see the grimace on his face when he mentioned Vardy, and through clenched teeth, said 'wednesdayite'.?
Very funny.

Back
Top Bottom