Chris Basham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GAZBLADE

Reaction score
Very ineffective today. Young Reed showed him up a treat! ! I'd never seen the lad play before today but was certainly expecting a lot more especially after all this talk of how well we did to get him to drop down a division to sign for us!!! I'm sure and certainly hope he'll improve! !!
UTB

I'm sure we will see plenty of Wallace as soon as he's fit.

I said when we signed him that based on what my Blackpool mates have said, he's another Monty type who will probably divide the fans. I think he was / is a replacement for Doyle and suspect NC's game plan was to play Basham and Wallace. Reed has obviously caused him a few headaches since then with his pre-season performances. Too early to write him off and I think he will be a key player for us even if not looking like a superstar.

Doyle would be a step back for me at this stage.

Seems like a pointless signing at this moment in time.

I would still rather see Wallace and Doyle before him in midfield.

If we need to use Doyle this season, it will be a disaster of Biblical magnitude !!
He was the weak link in our midfield last season and brings nothing to the team that 6 other players don't have in more abundance. Basham had a poor game yesterday but he wasn't alone. At least he can catch up with play to make a tackle though ...... and he made some good runs into the box. Hopefully this will have made our players "wake up and smell the coffee" and not rely on the bookies misguided decision to make us favourites.
UTB & FTP

I said when we signed him that based on what my Blackpool mates have said, he's another Monty type who will probably divide the fans. I think he was / is a replacement for Doyle and suspect NC's game plan was to play Basham and Wallace. Reed has obviously caused him a few headaches since then with his pre-season performances. Too early to write him off and I think he will be a key player for us even if not looking like a superstar.

Doyle would be a step back for me at this stage.
Doyle isn't a step back from anything Basham has shown through pre season to yesterday. It's fair enough that we give people time, as long as along the way we're able to accept that we might have bought a dud.

UTB

I imagine he will become the scapegoat. I myself was slagging him off a lot yesterday. :(

He can only get better. He has all the attributes so I just wonder if he he needs a rocket up his backside. I am sure he might get one off Nigel

Doyle isn't a step back from anything Basham has shown through pre season to yesterday. It's fair enough that we give people time, as long as along the way we're able to accept that we might have bought a dud.

UTB

After 60 minutes and the game running away from us, even I was wanting Doyle on the park.

Reactions: LSF

UTB

Maybe not but I've seen enough of Doyle in 4 years to know exactly what he'll offer us. Basham COULD offer more and too early to revert to type after a dodgy pre-season (that's the team not Basham particularly).

The thing I like about Michael Doyle (apart from my lovely avatar :)), is that even when he doesn't play, he draws comment from some and gets talked about generally.
In DarthBlade's case I've no doubt he features on the back of his shithouse door, complete with dart holes in his face ;)

Last edited:
Maybe not but I've seen enough of Doyle in 4 years to know exactly what he'll offer us. Basham COULD offer more and too early to revert to type after a dodgy pre-season (that's the team not Basham particularly).

Doyle was parts of a team that made the FA cup semi and but for a poor start would have been promoted last season. I'm no big fan, but babies and bathwater and all that. Basham's input so far has been woeful.

UTB

Doyle was parts of a team that made the FA cup semi and but for a poor start would have been promoted last season. I'm no big fan, but babies and bathwater and all that. Basham's input so far has been woeful.

UTB

Doyle has also been part of a team that has woefully failed to get out of this division with better players than we have now. Basham has had 70 odd minutes so far, a tad harsh to describe that as woeful.

What's Monty doing these days?

Lights blue touch paper and walks away :)

Doyle has also been part of a team that has woefully failed to get out of this division with better players than we have now. Basham has had 70 odd minutes so far, a tad harsh to describe that as woeful.
I'm not sticking up for Doyle, just representing what can be achieved with what we know about the old squad. We are guessing about Basham.

Including pre season we've seen enough to say that his start to life with us has been a poor one. But I'm not hanging on it either way as a principle, because we can't afford to.

UTB

He just needs to brush it off as a bad day at the office and show us a new hand next time.He has all the attributes needed and was a regular for Blackpool so there must be a player there.

I'm not sticking up for Doyle, just representing what can be achieved with what we know about the old squad. We are guessing about Basham.

Including pre season we've seen enough to say that his start to life with us has been a poor one. But I'm not hanging on it either way as a principle, because we can't afford to.

UTB

Doyle tends to look better when the team's playing well, whether that's because of him is open to debate. I don't recall him (or Collins) shining like a beacon during the opening couple of months of last season when we really needed the experienced lads to shine through.

We are guessing about Basham but most Blackpool fans I know rate him, as they did Harris and that's surely more of a representation (let's not forget he played in the Prem) than pre-season and one league game.

Very ineffective today. Young Reed showed him up a treat! ! I'd never seen the lad play before today but was certainly expecting a lot more especially after all this talk of how well we did to get him to drop down a division to sign for us!!! I'm sure and certainly hope he'll improve! !!
UTB

He also prevented an equalisr, flicking a goalbound shot around the post... :rolleyes:

Those of us exiles saw it on Sky.

I think Doyle is heading for the exit after losing his place to Basham and the captaincy.

Doyle tends to look better when the team's playing well, whether that's because of him is open to debate. I don't recall him (or Collins) shining like a beacon during the opening couple of months of last season when we really needed the experienced lads to shine through.

We are guessing about Basham but most Blackpool fans I know rate him, as they did Harris and that's surely more of a representation (let's not forget he played in the Prem) than pre-season and one league game.

Fair enough, but we're not talking about waiting for Messi here. Earn the shirt quickly, or lose it. That's competition. We know Doyle can do that role albeit with his limitations. It sounds and looks so far like Basham has the same limitations. Personally, I hope to see Wallace with the shirt.

Funny you should mention Bob Harris - who I think falls into the same category. Woeful yesterday, and many more like that should and would see him losing his place.

UTB

Last edited:
I agree he was pretty anonymous yesterday but is it really fair to elevate him to club scapegoat based on one league appearance

It seem that some think so.

The same could also be said for McNulty (saves me posting again in that thread)

Players usually have a good debut, then turn out to be not as good as first appearances suggested.

Looks like we've signed some right crackers in Basham and McNulty. :rolleyes:

Brandy and Taylor got about 1 game each before Clough decided they were shite, i wonder if the same will apply to his own signings?

Saying Doyle failed to get us out of this league could also be twisted to say he was a captain who took us to a play off final, the play offs and the fa cup semi final during a period when we had four managers in three years and consistently sold our better players.

Which sounds like he's done okay.

Personally I think he's decent as a shield in front of the back four in this league. If he's forced to take more playmaking responsibility he struggles but that's not why he gets picked. I thought basham would be the new shield but he seemed more like the most forward point of the midfield to me, which again is a different role to Doyle so not really a fair comparison.

I agree he was pretty anonymous yesterday but is it really fair to elevate him to club scapegoat based on one league appearance

It seem that some think so.

The same could also be said for McNulty (saves me posting again in that thread)
Some just think hes been shit so far. :)

UTB

Back
Top Bottom