Match Thread Chesterfield v Sheffield United - Pre-Season Friendly - 23/07/19

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foxy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

What's the parking like near the ground? Debating if I should drive, or just catch the train and enjoy a few drinks beforehand.

It's gonna be 30c. So the most important question: any good (child friendly) pubs with beer gardens near the ground?

What's the parking like near the ground? Debating if I should drive, or just catch the train and enjoy a few drinks beforehand.

Mostly street parking and not that much around the ground, but i think there should be plenty at the ground if you want to pay.

Train is the best option, decent 15-20 min walk to the ground though

Not to bad if you cut across the front of the college, plus it all helps getting your step count up.

I’m thinking of parking at Staveley and walking along the canal.

Couple of ways to walk

Head Out of the station then right at the roundabout, walk along this road past the new canal basin, car wash, some old industrial units and then some new houses/ flats all on your left. Past the old lavers and as the road starts to go uphill, there is a gate and a path which leads you along the canal path, walk along here for a few hundred metres, under the bridge and there is the waterways building, take the left fork, this will bring you onto the road, then take the underpass towards tescos

Other way is to go straight at the roundabout, walk up the hill and at the crossing (approx 1-200m from the roundabout), cross the road, down the hill to the college and take the cycle/ foot path along by the bypass, this brings you out by CASA hotel, cross the road to tescos and youre there

Donkey Derby tends to be for Home fans only. Not sure if they'll relax restrictions for a friendly. Derby Tup halfway up Sheffield Road is away fans pub. At the top of Sheffield Road is the Red Lion which does have a small beer garden.

Mostly street parking and not that much around the ground, but i think there should be plenty at the ground if you want to pay.

Train is the best option, decent 15-20 min walk to the ground though
Probably get the train and taxi it up from town in that case (considering the temperature tomorrow).

It's a fair walk from the station though.
10 mins at the most , mind you don't go in the Crown and Anchor as you walk past it , they were fighting in there and outside on the road last time we played them .

Donkey Derby tends to be for Home fans only. Not sure if they'll relax restrictions for a friendly.

That was my thought. Hopefully so. Last time i ended up in Victoria Club on big roundabout but that was plastic glasses and a fair walk to the ground

10 mins at the most , mind you don't go in the Crown and Anchor as you walk past it , they were fighting in there and outside on the road last time we played them .

Might make it in 10 mins full on sprinting but don’t think anyone will fancy that tomorrow if it’s 30+ degrees.

Nah, I know a couple of Chesterfield fans and the Crown and Anchor is the designated pub for their mongs.

I drove last year, was easy as can be. Loads of free residential parking within 5 mins of ground

Donkey Derby tends to be for Home fans only. Not sure if they'll relax restrictions for a friendly. Derby Tup halfway up Sheffield Road is away fans pub. At the top of Sheffield Road is the Red Lion which does have a small beer garden.
And both are proper pubs, unlike the Donkey Derby, although the Donkey Derby is more of a child friendly chain pub. There’s another pub on the side street down the side of the Derby Tup, (forgot it’s name). But good beers and you can take kids in.

And both are proper pubs, unlike the Donkey Derby, although the Donkey Derby is more of a child friendly chain pub. There’s another pub on the side street down the side of the Derby Tup, (forgot it’s name). But good beers and you can take kids in.

Beer Parlour small micropub.

It's gonna be 30c. So the most important question: any good (child friendly) pubs with beer gardens near the ground?

Cricketers on Stand Rd. 5 mins to the ground, family friendly, food, beer garden. (and some of the most fantastic old fashioned urinals I've seen for a long time) 😁

Quick edit, appears to have changed into a weird hybrid pub/shop so no idea what it's like now, sorry.

118 Stand Rd

Last edited:
Only for 2 hours isn’t it?

Yes officially. I’ve mostly parked there when going to the Prozac stadium. Never had a problem.

Another option is the car park at the bottom of Duke Street, just off Whit Moor to your left as you join the old Sheffield Road after the big roundabout. (More or less opposite the Red Lion and Lidl).

Yes officially. I’ve mostly parked there when going to the Prozac stadium. Never had a problem.

Another option is the car park at the bottom of Duke Street, just off Whit Moor to your left as you join the old Sheffield Road after the big roundabout. (More or less opposite the Red Lion and Lidl).
I think I’ll jump on the train anyway now, but thanks for the advice! This weather has got me in the mood for a few pints, so might have to try out one of the real ale places mentioned.

It's open as usual.
They finished resurfacing this weekend 👍

It was shut last night.

“March of the Chesterfield Virgins” apparently!

Every year all the virgins from Chesterfield march up the Dronfield by pass to Meadowhead and pledge their celibacy for the coming year.

It took the pair of them ages.

Back
Top Bottom