Pre-Season 17/18 Chesterfield v. Sheffield United - 18/07/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes, but I wish he wouldn't keep adding a "Y" on to the end of every players name, "Couttsy", "Sharpy", "Flecky". Or I might have to call him "Wildery".

And who the hell was he on about when he said "Ants has taken a knock" - forgive my ignorance - but WTF is "Ants"?

A good few years ago when I was 16 I played a few games for Alfreton U18's as my Saturday manager at Staveley MW at the time was good mates with the manager. This was when Wilder was the manager of the first team. The coaching staff he had in the U18's and lower were all blades fans and what I like to refer to as the "long managers coat" brigade. They were a little bit up their own arse for people who were basically 25-30 year old non-league players trying their hand at youth coaching and management, they were very big time and thought a lot of themselves.

Anyway, they use to stick a sodding "Y" at the end of everyone's name, I'm guessing this fed down from Wilder.

Yes, but I wish he wouldn't keep adding a "Y" on to the end of every players name, "Couttsy", "Sharpy", "Flecky". Or I might have to call him "Wildery".

And who the hell was he on about when he said "Ants has taken a knock" - forgive my ignorance - but WTF is "Ants"?
He said it a few times last season, but he's saying 'Hans' - Hanson.

Oooh Get you! Keep your hair on you'll be getting an infraction. Point taken as I wasn't there and reliant on reports and photos. We'll see. Second season syndrome possibly beckons. I haven't forgotten his attitude when we first tried to sign him. Leopards and spots Foxy.
After what he achieved last season why would you not be willing to forget thise small negatives? Are a fan of Sheffield United football club? Where's the support? Even if he does struggle this season I will SUPPORT the lad, as a BLADE!

Wish these negative nillies would piss off.

I've not read the whole thread so apologies if this has been asked. Had Brooks stayed on loan & played for Chesterfield, would we have still won last night? My guess is it would have been a draw or Chezzy win

"Hans" - Big James Hanson.

Or "Hansy" as I like to call him

Brooks scared the Chezzie players to death as soon as he came on. The lad has got a real presence along with quality to grace the top teams, he wants the ball all the time and will no doubt play in the Prem in the next year or so.

Put it this way and this is no way trying to bring the lad down but Brooks is way in front of DCL imo and he's at Everton, football really does baffle me sometimes.

Our subs won us the game and their sub lost it them with a shocking miss from an open net in what was a poor game from our prospective but a runout is a runout I suppose.
He. could grace the Prem with us Wizardry in the next few years though having said that we will lose him in the long run if he turns out to be as good as we think.
The big guns will be in for him that's for sure ,selling him as a Prem player will bring in mega bucks ,in the mean time let's enjoy a young man who has great talent they don't come along very often .
This is me Dreaming could we keep him and build a team around him capable of getting in champions league.
Over to you messrs McCabe & the Prince.

After what he achieved last season why would you not be willing to forget thise small negatives? Are a fan of Sheffield United football club? Where's the support? Even if he does struggle this season I will SUPPORT the lad, as a BLADE!

Wish these negative nillies would piss off.

Well Mr Freeman/Icey, if I and others with an opinion pissed off then your wages wouldn't be paid would they? As for "negative nillies" (sic) may I refer you to a previous post of yours showing support to a lad who was and is a Blade? This about Ched Evans.

Just when i thought we'd moved on. We dont need him. Been a sick note all season. This almost offers the threat of an anti-climax.

#392Iceybabey, Apr 24, 2017
Like + Quote Reply

There appears to be a prevailing opinion on a forum that if you criticise a player you are not a proper supporter or A BLADE. Bollocks. If a player had for instance and I am not saying this about Freeman, turned up unfit and arseholed for the pre-season then he is unprofessional and deserved of criticism. Are you the type of BLADE who wouldn't have criticised Weir, Clough or Adkins because you are a fan of Sheffield United? If so, fuck me, without us moaners who sometimes know what we are talking about, we would have all been happy clapping in the Evo Stick league..

Why, when someone looks a little off their performance do some have to come out with this shit?

Just think about it.....you have just had a great season, a season where for the first time you have played pretty much every minute of every game of the season. Not only that, you have played a wing back role which quite possibly means you run further than anyone else on the pitch. Add to that the intensity of training under Wilder, and the fact it had been that way for almost 10 months with hardly a break with the highs that ended the season to boot!
So forgive me if I'm being a little soft, but I think him and most the lads in a similar position who are starting back after a grand season a couple of months ago and are a little slow getting back up to speed, should be given a break FFS.

They might well be very well paid, but the physical toll is still there in the body. He probably took a month just to come down from the end of last season and was frankly in need of doing the square root of fuck all for a month to recover. It's bound to be hard to get back into it, and that goes for all of them. No billy big bollocks.....just how it is.

Possibly. Always willing to accept when I am wrong. But don't dismiss it as shit yet. Yes I should cut him some slack. Apologies for my concern and unsupported opinion.

Possibly. Always willing to accept when I am wrong. But don't dismiss it as shit yet. Yes I should cut him some slack. Apologies for my concern and unsupported opinion.

Look.....I don't know the lad, but know someone who's known him since he was a kid at Forest. And he's certainly not described as anything like what you mentioned.
I just think some of us just see that these lads "only train a few hours a day"..."rest of day off to do what they want"..paid a fortune for kicking a bag of wind about..."Can't be arsed, Billy big bollocks".......and yes if you don't know any better than that is the opinion some may have.

But speaking as a parent of a lad very young in the game who's training every day for four hours plus doing jobs in the club, travelling to training from 7.15 and getting in at 6....in bed for 9pm every night.....who has given up teenage parties, and pretty much not seeing his now ex schoolmates...who declines all offers to do the things most kids his age do just to try and make it as a footballer! He's knackered.....and I mean this when I say I am surprised just how exhausted he is every night. (And hungry....costing me a feckin fortune)

If that's been the life of most of these footballers from their teens then I can cut them perhaps a lot more slack than most.

I didn't go but the reported lack of fitness of Freeman is concerning. He looked like he was struggling before Stockbridge and Malaga and now this report tends to show he is behind in fitness level. Not that I want to knock the lad or his agent but I feel he has come back with a billy big bollocks attitude and he needs to get down to some serious work.

you do know who our manager is right?? if he had come back with that attitude do you really think sir chris would have him anywhere near the squad let alone have him sign a new contract, how anyone can question the attitude of a player who was sent out on loan, was told by a new gaffer he was not wanted, yet fought his way back in to become arguably one of our top 3 players last season is beyond me

Look.....I don't know the lad, but know someone who's known him since he was a kid at Forest. And he's certainly not described as anything like what you mentioned.
I just think some of us just see that these lads "only train a few hours a day"..."rest of day off to do what they want"..paid a fortune for kicking a bag of wind about..."Can't be arsed, Billy big bollocks".......and yes if you don't know any better than that is the opinion some may have.

But speaking as a parent of a lad very young in the game who's training every day for four hours plus doing jobs in the club, travelling to training from 7.15 and getting in at 6....in bed for 9pm every night.....who has given up teenage parties, and pretty much not seeing his now ex schoolmates...who declines all offers to do the things most kids his age do just to try and make it as a footballer! He's knackered.....and I mean this when I say I am surprised just how exhausted he is every night. (And hungry....costing me a feckin fortune)

If that's been the life of most of these footballers from their teens then I can cut them perhaps a lot more slack than most.

I didn't have a long or glorious amateur career but I do know that the worst I have ever felt as a footballer was after a pre-season with Hallam FC when I realised for the second time in my life that I was an amateur in all senses of the word. I think I know enough about training and fitness between age 13 and 44 to have an opinion. I may be too harsh, but it still grates on me how he took his time to join us and his standards before last season's revelation or shall we say resurrection. I don't have rose tinted spectacles and I do remember how many on here including me felt his standards were way below what they should have been which is why Wilder had him bombed out at the start. He didn't bomb him out for a laugh or because he wanted to give him a kick up the backside, he did it because as a fan and manager he knew he was swinging the lead. He may still be golden boy after last season (yes well done you were worth your place and the money) but I expect that to continue and I am sorry but one season resurrection doesn't buy me automatic exemption from comment. I accept I may have been too quick and too harsh, but he looked out of condition. Whether he remains so we will see.

I didn't have a long or glorious amateur career but I do know that the worst I have ever felt as a footballer was after a pre-season with Hallam FC when I realised for the second time in my life that I was an amateur in all senses of the word. I think I know enough about training and fitness between age 13 and 44 to have an opinion. I may be too harsh, but it still grates on me how he took his time to join us and his standards before last season's revelation or shall we say resurrection. I don't have rose tinted spectacles and I do remember how many on here including me felt his standards were way below what they should have been which is why Wilder had him bombed out at the start. He didn't bomb him out for a laugh or because he wanted to give him a kick up the backside, he did it because as a fan and manager he knew he was swinging the lead. He may still be golden boy after last season (yes well done you were worth your place and the money) but I expect that to continue and I am sorry but one season resurrection doesn't buy me automatic exemption from comment. I accept I may have been too quick and too harsh, but he looked out of condition. Whether he remains so we will see.

And pre season as an amateur is just that....amateur.
I know how fit my lad is, he's fitter than I ever have been or will be. And when he did the same fitness testing as the pro lads at the club he was miles behind, as were all the young lads. And all he did from the end of last season was the personal fitness plan given to him by the club.
They need to rest. Their bodies need to recover. True fitness to play is only gained through games, replicating it in training is near impossible because you cannot replicate fully match situations.

And it's not all about training and fitness either....it's diet. It's eating tuna pasta at 9am, chucking protein down you before bed....planning your whole life and routine around being ready to train and play. The rest of life is put on hold.

As for the issues of him joining.....so what? It happens. At the time, despite the belief on here we were chucking money away will nilly that was not the case and the deal took some sorting out, as it is with Southend and Blackburn.
And it's well known that many players were going through the motions for Adkins...that's been done to death. As has debating how certain players were deployed by the wally.
Thankfully our manager had the sense to also look at the players he inherited so he could realise they hadn't been utilised to their abilities or potential.

Up to you.....but a more understanding and considered approach to people may be worth considering. And these lads are still people and still Human with Human problems which crop up. None of which will ever become knowledge of a football supporter. I suggest you delay your comments until September, because not many players start the season in the same condition they finished it. That's Fact.....and expected by managers to be fair.

you do know who our manager is right?? if he had come back with that attitude do you really think sir chris would have him anywhere near the squad let alone have him sign a new contract, how anyone can question the attitude of a player who was sent out on loan, was told by a new gaffer he was not wanted, yet fought his way back in to become arguably one of our top 3 players last season is beyond me

No. I haven't a fucking clue who our manager is.:rolleyes: I don't question his attitude last year although interestingly by putting him on the list "Sir Chris" obviously did. I question his return this year and the apparent view that he is off the pace. Since when did an expression of opinion admittedly based upon other observers reports be completely invalid? By all means disagree, but don't do me the discourtesy of invalidating my opinion this season based upon last season. For the record, your view that Wilder would not have offered a new contract had he doubted Freeman's commitment is almost a clincher although he may believe he could have done better with his pre season fitness.

I accept Wilder believes Freeman to be worth an extension to his contract. I am glad he has signed, but Freeman is a paid footballer and I and others questioned his attitude when he preferred Mansfield to us and some (it would appear including "Sir Chris") had him and Coutts accused of stealing a wage before his resurrection.

No. I haven't a fucking clue who our manager is.:rolleyes: I don't question his attitude last year although interestingly by putting him on the list "Sir Chris" obviously did. I question his return this year and the apparent view that he is off the pace. Since when did an expression of opinion admittedly based upon other observers reports be completely invalid? By all means disagree, but don't do me the discourtesy of invalidating my opinion this season based upon last season. For the record, your view that Wilder would not have offered a new contract had he doubted Freeman's commitment is almost a clincher although he may believe he could have done better with his pre season fitness.

I accept Wilder believes Freeman to be worth an extension to his contract. I am glad he has signed, but Freeman is a paid footballer and I and others questioned his attitude when he preferred Mansfield to us and some (it would appear including "Sir Chris") had him and Coutts accused of stealing a wage before his resurrection.

i cant validate or invalidate your opinion on this season, as its not started yet, i dont remember seeing anywhere mr wilder saying he was listed due to an attitude problem, purely on footballing reasons, probably didnt think he would fit his style, but if you have some proof of an attitude problem ill be happy to apologise for disagreeing with you

Don't you read the comments by the resident experts and people who " know the game" on here?

Professional footballers only work for 90 minutes per week, or 180 at a push.

And pre season as an amateur is just that....amateur.
I know how fit my lad is, he's fitter than I ever have been or will be. And when he did the same fitness testing as the pro lads at the club he was miles behind, as were all the young lads. And all he did from the end of last season was the personal fitness plan given to him by the club.
They need to rest. Their bodies need to recover. True fitness to play is only gained through games, replicating it in training is near impossible because you cannot replicate fully match situations.

And it's not all about training and fitness either....it's diet. It's eating tuna pasta at 9am, chucking protein down you before bed....planning your whole life and routine around being ready to train and play. The rest of life is put on hold.

As for the issues of him joining.....so what? It happens. At the time, despite the belief on here we were chucking money away will nilly that was not the case and the deal took some sorting out, as it is with Southend and Blackburn.
And it's well known that many players were going through the motions for Adkins...that's been done to death. As has debating how certain players were deployed by the wally.
Thankfully our manager had the sense to also look at the players he inherited so he could realise they hadn't been utilised to their abilities or potential.

Up to you.....but a more understanding and considered approach to people may be worth considering. And these lads are still people and still Human with Human problems which crop up. None of which will ever become knowledge of a football supporter. I suggest you delay your comments until September, because not many players start the season in the same condition they finished it. That's Fact.....and expected by managers to be fair.

I know it is up to me. That is why it is a forum. I have an opinion. It may turn out to be bullshit and worthy of derision. I have given enough out over the years. If Freeman is blowing out of his arse in the first few games and replaced I may have a wry smile. If he continues as last season then please feel free to have a laugh at my expense.

i cant validate or invalidate your opinion on this season, as its not started yet, i dont remember seeing anywhere mr wilder saying he was listed due to an attitude problem, purely on footballing reasons, probably didnt think he would fit his style, but if you have some proof of an attitude problem ill be happy to apologise for disagreeing with you

I don't want or need an apology. It's me that has the unpopular and presently unsupported opinion that he may be less fit than he should be which may be due to his attitude. As stated to Grizzly if he is blowing out of his arse in the first few games I may be correct. Otherwise it is up to me to grovel in September.

Well Mr Freeman/Icey, if I and others with an opinion pissed off then your wages wouldn't be paid would they? As for "negative nillies" (sic) may I refer you to a previous post of yours showing support to a lad who was and is a Blade? This about Ched Evans.

Just when i thought we'd moved on. We dont need him. Been a sick note all season. This almost offers the threat of an anti-climax.

#392Iceybabey, Apr 24, 2017
Like + Quote Reply

There appears to be a prevailing opinion on a forum that if you criticise a player you are not a proper supporter or A BLADE. Bollocks. If a player had for instance and I am not saying this about Freeman, turned up unfit and arseholed for the pre-season then he is unprofessional and deserved of criticism. Are you the type of BLADE who wouldn't have criticised Weir, Clough or Adkins because you are a fan of Sheffield United? If so, fuck me, without us moaners who sometimes know what we are talking about, we would have all been happy clapping in the Evo Stick league..
Mate are you thick? You've plucked one of my comments out without any acknowledgement of the context it was said in. We'd just won the league and was aiming to hit 100pts when i posted this. Do you see me referring to anything he did in the past that I'm struggling to get over? Am i suggesting he may suffer from second spell syndrome? My Ched comment has no relevance to this arguement. You're deluded.

Your comment, however, suggests that you've seen/read/heard some things regarding Freeman's performance(s) and this has instantly caused you to spout negative bollox about the lad. You wasn't even at the game for goodness sake so I don't know how you can consider yourself "a moaner who knows what he's talking about." Do us all a favour and crawl back under your rock.

:D
Mate are you thick? You've plucked one of my comments out without any acknowledgement of the context it was said in. We'd just won the league and was aiming to hit 100pts when i posted this. Do you see me referring to anything he did in the past that I'm struggling to get over? Am i suggesting he may suffer from second spell syndrome? My Ched comment has no relevance to this arguement. You're deluded.

Your comment, however, suggests that you've seen/read/heard some things regarding Freeman's performance(s) and this has instantly caused you to spout negative bollox about the lad. You wasn't even at the game for goodness sake so I don't know how you can consider yourself "a moaner who knows what he's talking about." Do us all a favour and crawl back under your rock.

:Da moaner who knows what he's talking about.:DAlso taken out of context.:D Keep going Icey.:D Crawl back under my rock? Oh I am so upset and mortified by your condemnation.My opinion may be wrong, but just say that rather than be insulting.:):p Thick? Deluded? No. I may be wrong in what I think but I wouldn't have spent 45 years in continuous well paid employment were I thick or deluded. Sad really that this gets you so angry.

:D

:Da moaner who knows what he's talking about.:DAlso taken out of context.:D Keep going Icey.:D Crawl back under my rock? Oh I am so upset and mortified by your condemnation.My opinion may be wrong, but just say that rather than be insulting.:):p Thick? Deluded? No. I may be wrong in what I think but I wouldn't have spent 45 years in continuous well paid employment were I thick or deluded. Sad really that this gets you so angry.

56750371.jpg

Back
Top Bottom