Ched to start on Saturday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's no more right to a place than anyone else. As I have said in a previous incarnation, neither have had a great deal of chance to shine in two very difficult away games. Both should start today but with a real and legitimate expectation of a prominent show from both.

We do, however, need to step back from the Bladey nonsense that Billy is guaranteed a shirt.
Billy ought to be guaranteed a shirt.

Evans was shit today, and on that evidence I'd start Lavery in front of him. He's certainly got to do far more to keep the shirt.

Can't expect someone who's missed nigh on all pre season to be on it straight away? Needs a consistent run of games, and might get it now after Clarke let that Barnsley Chop mug him off.

Can't expect someone who's missed nigh on all pre season to be on it straight away? Needs a consistent run of games, and might get it now after Clarke let that Barnsley Chop mug him off.
Aye, I accept there are some mitigating circumstances. But given he's not there yet, and it's unclear that he ever will be, why does he deserve a run more than Lavery?

I was disappointed with him today, I thought it would suit him but he looked heavy and lethargic, would have preferred lavery to come in today in the circumstances.

And score the winner. YHIHF! He'll get a rapturous reception from the BDTBL faithful surely?

Brooksy as well to feature more heavily and set it up after coming off the bench.

Wizaaaaaaards.

UTB

Now then my friend, would you care to tell me which 53 lottery balls are most likely to be pulled out tonight whereby leaving the remaining 6, which will be my choice for this evening's draw ;)

He came into the game when we were looking to hold what we have playing one upfront following the sending off. If he is going to be judged it certainly shouldn't be on today's game.

It feels like some people are desperate for him to fail and are judging him every minute of the time he is on the pitch. Let the lad have a bit of time and I'm pretty sure he will do well.

Based on performances in the first three games if Ched starts the Barnsley game then Sharp should be dropped. Clarke was excellent v Brentford, was the better of the two at Middlesboro and by all accounts both had poor games at Cardiff. Apart from the goal v Brentford what has Sharp contributed this season, I'd say not much.

Well no one else scored a goal in the league aside from Billy, so I for one am bloody glad Wilder kept the faith with him today.

I'm a huge Ched fan but will happily admit that he is way off. He got himself into some good positions but Brooks in particular didn't really link up with him. Brooks made a good run into the box (the one where he lost his balance) and could have squared it to the back post towards Ched who would have passed it in. But, as I said, Brooks was knocked off balance so I can't really hold it against him. The 2 of them were playing too far apart in my opinion. But they've never played together so you can't expect them to do much just yet.

I'm confident Ched will come good. I saw enough Saturday with his positioning that given the right service he'll score. Form is temporary, of course.

As an aside, Brooks is something I haven't seen at the Lane for years - a dribbler. He's confident, quick and nimble. First time I've really seen him and he really does have something special

I'm a huge Ched fan but will happily admit that he is way off. He got himself into some good positions but Brooks in particular didn't really link up with him. Brooks made a good run into the box (the one where he lost his balance) and could have squared it to the back post towards Ched who would have passed it in. But, as I said, Brooks was knocked off balance so I can't really hold it against him. The 2 of them were playing too far apart in my opinion. But they've never played together so you can't expect them to do much just yet.

I'm confident Ched will come good. I saw enough Saturday with his positioning that given the right service he'll score. Form is temporary, of course.

As an aside, Brooks is something I haven't seen at the Lane for years - a dribbler. He's confident, quick and nimble. First time I've really seen him and he really does have something special
Also Brooks isn't a striker and we were down to 10 (I know they were too). Under normal circumstances it would have been Ched, Brooks + 1 more.

They have both looked promising when coming on. I am not a massive fan of this whole Ched fan fair that is going on. For me he has got to earn that level of support. Until then I personally will treat him like any other new signing. I hope he does earn it though.

I think we might see Evans and Lavery start the cup game, a shoot out to see who plays with Sharp against Derby?

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

If Ched and Lavs start on Tuesday they will simply be told they are playing for the start alongside Billy at the weekend....may the best man win!

Agreed that Ched wasn't great when he came on against Barnsley but Lavery was equally as poor against Walsall in the Cup. A great chance for either to step up and claim the shirt for the next 3 games.....would be even better if they both had a stormer and put the pressure on Billy....all 3 of them hungry and playing well would be great.....then it would be Leon who is under pressure when his ban is over.

Evans was shit today, and on that evidence I'd start Lavery in front of him. He's certainly got to do far more to keep the shirt.

Yeah he looked off the pace but in his defence, he's not suited to the lone striker role and with Brooks on for Duffy it was hard to be as effective. Brooks is exciting and runs at defences at every opportunity but doesn't get his head up to feed the strikers like Duffy does. Hopefully we'll see him with a strike partner from the start of a game (maybe Leicester tomorrow).

I think it should be Ched to start on Tuesday.

There's a pattern forming.

When Lavern comes on as sub he usually makes a difference with his pace against tires defenders and plays well.

So Lavery deservedly wins a starting place but when he starts he often looks very ordinary and does little.

I'm not a fanboy for Ched (just treat him like a normal player) either but have to admit that against Walsall he looked easily twice the striker compared to Lavery and Hanson.

I'm sure he'll drop Sharp so that he's fit for Saturday, Leon is suspended and Hanson is injured, so guess that means a very experimental pairing of Lavery and Evans up front. Haven't a clue how they'll do.

Also agree with the defence of Ched on Saturday, he was asked to play the Hanson role as lone striker up front with his back to goal, also the team were dropping back defending the lead so he had little support, against Walsall he played right side in a deeper role linking better with midfield, his link play was excellent and he had more opportunity to run towards goal.

Out of curiosity anyone got/seen a video of his reception from when he got subbed on?
I haven't got a video of it but I didn't sit very comfortabley with it at he time to be honest. Billy was still walking off after scoring the only goal of the game and yet it was Ched's name that was being sang.

I fully understand why some might have wanted to give Evans a lift especially as the Bucket Bangers had been giving him stick warming up, but they could have done that once Billy had left the pitch and Ched was coming on like the rest of us.

I haven't got a video of it but I didn't sit very comfortabley with it at he time to be honest. Billy was still walking off after scoring the only goal of the game and yet it was Ched's name that was being sang.

I fully understand why some might have wanted to give Evans a lift especially as the Bucket Bangers had been giving him stick warming up, but they could have done that once Billy had left the pitch and Ched was coming on like the rest of us.
Exactly this. I find the singing of his name when he's not on the pitch insulting to the strikers who are.

It's normal if a player is warming up for the crowd to sing his name - or it things aren't working on the pitch and fans think we need a change. Not insulting to anyone imo. Billy was given a fantastic reception when he came off,

It's normal if a player is warming up for the crowd to sing his name - or it things aren't working on the pitch and fans think we need a change. Not insulting to anyone imo. Billy was given a fantastic reception when he came off,
I'm not saying that Billy didn't get a fantastic reception from the majority of fans, but there were plenty who just sang Ched's name as soon a the board was held up. On the pitch it might have been hard to distinguish if the applause was for Billy or Evans coming on.

Anyone else looking forward to the day he's off our books? Sick of anything to do with him already!

£4m for James Beattie do you?

Beattie was a great signing and a show of intent but came here on the back of just 13 goals from 73 games for Everton if his Wiki is to be believed and his best before that was 1 in 4 for Soton. A great player I am not questioning with pedigree but it wasn't until he came here that he really got his ratio down. people are suggesting we need a proven Championship striker but its just not possible anymore without spending £10m+

Richard Cadette coming from two leagues lower is a scenario I think Wilder would like to replicate but again even players from league 2 who score for fun cost a good figure and will still be berated amongst the faithful. The only way to do it now it would seem is to really do your research take a look at who will be lining up alongside him and take a chance

Anyone else looking forward to the day he's off our books? Sick of anything to do with him already!

Why? Because people cheered when he came on?

As a Blade I support all players on the pitch and don't "look forward to the day they're off"

Some people can't accept that his name has now been cleared, and still want to persecute him.

Yeah myself and a few others on the kop were trying to get the Billy Sharp song going as he was going off as he deserved the recognition. Pleased to see Ched get a good reception but it shouldn't take away from Billy getting the recognition that his contribution deserved.

Why? Because people cheered when he came on?

As a Blade I support all players on the pitch and don't "look forward to the day they're off"

Some people can't accept that his name has now been cleared, and still want to persecute him.

That's bollocks. It's not persecution, it's the hatred of the hysteria that surrounds him I can't stand. Why isn't the whole ground going mental when Carruthers comes on?

The point is, its mental how over the top the support for this guy is, and into makes me wonder what the other players must think too. If he was treated like any other player, I'd have absolutely no issue with it at all, but he isn't. He's treated like a club legend and a god to some people, which really pisses me off.

for a player who clearly isn't going to be a world beater at this level, I don't see how all this circus can be worth it. I hate that when he has a bad game, there are a million excuses made on his behalf. I'd also like to point out, I hate that when he does OK, he is lauded as a superstar but equally his performance is put down by the anti-Ched brigade.

Everything is massively exaggerated with him and it's so juvenile and pointless in my eyes. I aren't having a go at Ched personally, or as a player, what I don't like is the fucking pantomime of cheers and boos over every little thing to do with him. It's exhausting and futile.

You may disagree, but I feel, at best, he will be a bit part player who will chip in with a handful of goals a season at this level. Fine, but there are loads of players around that will do the same job but it won't be like attending a circus every time they entered the field.

How shocking. How dare fans chant the name of a player who had the best years of his career taken from him by being imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit.

Simply terrible.

Back
Top Bottom