Ched to start on Saturday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I dont rate Carruthers at all and much prefer Duffy. As for the front 2, their lack of pace is going to cost us I fear. Not much they can do about that really. Evans has certainly looked much more likely to score than either of them since his introductions.

It's a learning curve for some as they get up to speed with the change in pace, and their fitness levels max out to where Wilder will want them.
Still no need to panic. These lads deserve a few games to stake their claim as championship quality players, not to be cast aside as failures after three games, 2 away at clubs favourites for the top 6.

I think changes are inevitable and were alluded to by CW after Cardiff....he specifically said we looked better when Ched and Brooks came on but then also mentioned Duffy as well.

I think Ched and Brooks will start myself.

I’d start Duffy in the number 10 role. He was excellent there last season and improved us when he came on against Boro. Our set pieces also look better when he is on the pitch (scored from one v Walsall and the disallowed one v Boro).

Regarding Ched, Is he fit enough to be starting yet? If Wilder thinks he is, that’s good enough for me. If not, I’m happy to go with Sharp and Clarke as I think they might get more joy in this game than in the previous 2.

The team needs freshening up, of that there is no doubt. It's the wing backs worrying me. If they don't perform then it also leaves the back three exposed and they in turn are made to look poor. Steven's was OKish v Brentford, thats all. Freeman has been, well, shite. I expect these two to be on the bench v Barnsley and Clarke as well as he looks to be a bit of a plodder in this league.

I don’t think Baldock is fit enough to start yet so fully expect Freeman to play. I’m OK with that as whilst he has struggled a bit, it’s to be expected against Boro and Cardiff. These lads turned Brentford over and deserve another chance against more beatable opposition.

A key factor here is that we have 3 competive home games in 7 days.

I agree about the Duffy factor, noticed a few times last season that he was our most creative player and made us tick. He's hardly played so far so it might change things in our favour if he starts.

Always said Billy is generally poor but a brilliant finisher that's scores goals. If he can set him up he's an asset, if we struggle to set him up he may as well not be on the pitch.

Ched has lookes the best striker so far but I reckon Wilder will bring back Duffy in place of Carruthers and start with the tried and tested Sharp/ Clarke up front, can't really judge their poor performances when it's away to 2 of the top sides in the league Boro and Cardiff.

I reckon he'll have Ched and Brooks as sub but likely to bring them both on early in the 2nd half to allow them plenty of game time.

Dependant how they perform will determine who he starts against Leicester and Derby. It's a learning process for Wilder, he doesn't know himself which players will make the grade.

Not totally convinced CW will change things but in case there are changes, here's my thoughts if so.

I think (hope) there will be changes and in this order of preference.

1) Duffy
2) Evans
3) Lafferty
4) Brooks.

Questions we should ask:

have the starting first 11 done enough in the first 3 games to start again?
accepting Stearman is out - is Wright a direct replacement in an unchanged 3-4-1-2 formation as happened at Cardiff?
do we start with a 4 at the back instead with Wright not considered?
Where would Brooks actually play as some are wanting?

UTB

The team needs freshening up, of that there is no doubt. It's the wing backs worrying me. If they don't perform then it also leaves the back three exposed and they in turn are made to look poor. Steven's was OKish v Brentford, thats all. Freeman has been, well, shite. I expect these two to be on the bench v Barnsley and Clarke as well as he looks to be a bit of a plodder in this league.

In the Brentford game clarke was hardly a plodder, he was legging about all over the shop and winning balls and had a few pops. safe to say though against Cardiff he was bobbar.

Wilder want's to stick with the players that did the business last year. But a front two of Sharp & Clarke was never going to be enough. There just simply isn't enough movement. The pressure is on our midfielders to put it on a plate for them and when we have carved the opposition open due to good passing and vision, Clarke and Sharp haven't delivered.

We desperately NEED a proven Championship striker that can score 15/20 goals in a season.

We desperately NEED a proven Championship striker that can score 15/20 goals in a season.

But where does he come from IF, he actually exists and is available to purchase?

Tom Lawrence - Leicester to Derby - initial £5m
Jordan Rhodes - Boro to pigs - £10-12m
Brit Assombalonga - Forest to Boro - £15m

to name 3 recent ones

You make a valid point, but it's an impossibility for us in many ways.

UTB

But where does he come from IF, he actually exists and is available to purchase?

to name 3 recent ones

UTB

Agree proven Champ striker will be £5-£10m. We need to find the next one who is on his way up.

to name 3 recent ones

UTB

There is better value out there. Wilder said so.

We won't be going after them because they don't have an English mentality. Wilder said so.

There is better value out there. Wilder said so.

We won't be going after them because they don't have an English mentality. Wilder said so.

yes, I know there is better value - but that is not what my post was about.
I was answering a question from S11blade who said "We desperately NEED a proven Championship striker that can score 15/20 goals in a season."
My point was that type of foward would cost LOTS of money, hence the 3 examples.

UTB

to name 3 recent ones

UTB

Of course they don't come cheap however it is possible to sign strikers at this level for less. The pigs managed to snap up Sam Winnall for £500k. Warnock has just taken a gamble on Bogle for £1m whilst Sunderland have snapped up James Vaughan for £500k as well.

I don't think it's a case of the funds not being available, but I don't think Wilder has prioritised a new centre forward/striker enough.

Based on performances in the first three games if Ched starts the Barnsley game then Sharp should be dropped. Clarke was excellent v Brentford, was the better of the two at Middlesboro and by all accounts both had poor games at Cardiff. Apart from the goal v Brentford what has Sharp contributed this season, I'd say not much.

Based on performances in the first three games if Ched starts the Barnsley game then Sharp should be dropped. Clarke was excellent v Brentford, was the better of the two at Middlesboro and by all accounts both had poor games at Cardiff. Apart from the goal v Brentford what has Sharp contributed this season, I'd say not much.

True but as I've said many teams Sharp has similarities to Keith Edwards.

He might play crap, hardly touch the ball, but he's still more likely than anyone to pop up with a goal.
The factor with Sharp is he's very reliant on good service played directly to his feet.
If our midfielders can't set him up then he can't contribute as much as Clarke and Evans who are more physical and more mobile.

So apart from the 3 and only points we have, he hasn't contributed?

I may be misinterpreting this, but after the car park handbags at Boro, the last thing we want is one of our strikers 'starting'. I suggest he counts to ten or backs away from car parks, 14 year olds in Stone Island or Moncler and goes nowhere near the half time vending areas.

Ched, there is CCTV everywhere and it will catch up with you...

Of course they don't come cheap however it is possible to sign strikers at this level for less. The pigs managed to snap up Sam Winnall for £500k. Warnock has just taken a gamble on Bogle for £1m whilst Sunderland have snapped up James Vaughan for £500k as well.

I don't think it's a case of the funds not being available, but I don't think Wilder has prioritised a new centre forward/striker enough.

Weekly wages for JUST the 6 main strikers at S6.

Winnall is on £25K - Rhodes on £52K - the other 4 are on between £40-45K. It works out at approx. £200K per week, which is over £10m per season.

Good strikers don't just cost transfer money.

Who pays for all of this? I know for a fact Chansiri has an open cheque book at S6, we sadly don't have that level of investment and there are plenty of other Championship clubs prepared to throw big money at forwards.

Your sentiments of wanting that type of striker is shared by all - it's not feasible for us.

UTB

Brooks and Ched have both earned a start. I'd be starting to get wound up if it were me and I still wasn't getting the green light!

True but as I've said many teams Sharp has similarities to Keith Edwards.

He might play crap, hardly touch the ball, but he's still more likely than anyone to pop up with a goal.
The factor with Sharp is he's very reliant on good service played directly to his feet.
If our midfielders can't set him up then he can't contribute as much as Clarke and Evans who are more physical and more mobile.

The one thing Edwards brought to the table that Sharp doesn't is that he could stretch a defence with his pace. When I look at strikers I always want them to have at least one other dimension to their games, as well as being able to score goals, ability to the lead line, pace, power, or skill. Edwards could score goals and had pace, of the current forwards they all score goals, Clarke can lead the line and has a bit of power, Hanson can lead the line (but not a great goalscorer), Ched power and a bit of skill, and Lavary pace and a bit of skill. Sharp???

Hes unlikely to drop the captain.

He's no more right to a place than anyone else. As I have said in a previous incarnation, neither have had a great deal of chance to shine in two very difficult away games. Both should start today but with a real and legitimate expectation of a prominent show from both.

We do, however, need to step back from the Bladey nonsense that Billy is guaranteed a shirt.

think anyone using Rhodes to say you must spend big for quality and guarenteed goals is skating on very very thin ice

What about a 3man strike force
Could they play together with Clarke - Sharpe - Evans ?

So apart from the 3 and only points we have, he hasn't contributed?

Exactly what I was going to post until I saw your post.

Both have been poor and Sharp should not be un-droppable but he is also a better finisher and striker than Clarke and if anything at least Sharp has provided us with some end product, so far Clarke has done a lot of running and put himself about with absolutely no end product.

What does this proven Championship Striker lark even means?

Have we ever signed a proven goalscorer I mean ever?

When was the last time we took someone's Striker off the back of a 15/20 goal plus season?

Who knew Ched had 35 goals in him after his first two seasons? Or Brown had 22 was it after his first two seasons? Beattie record at Everton was poor..

All about finding the right player to play our way, I actually think when Ched gets a run he will be very productive,Ched and Billy will be a great partnership

Just need a young change of pace Striker to bring on.

Back
Top Bottom