Charles Green? Who is he?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just seen on the BBC that Charles Green is fronting a bid for Rangers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18039281

He was at the club before my time. Who is he and what was United like at the time? Was it the time of S. Bruce?

Mike McDonald's hatchetman and Spackman's puppetmaster. He became hated after flogging all our best players in a post-Christmas panic having pushed the boat out too far.

In a sense, he did with our stock market floatation money exactly what McCabe did with our parachute payments - pissed it up the wall, then panicked.

To his credit he did sign Vass Borbokis and Tri Dellas. And we won't see their like again for a while....

In a fantastic position to clinch promotion and he flogged Deane & Fjortoft on the same day. Search the archives for 'Black Thursday' - Note what effect that removing a great goalscorer has had on todays team and multiply it by 2.

I seem to remember from the book "Fit and Proper" that he got a large unjustified payout when he left as well.

They are both
Mike McDonald's hatchetman and Spackman's puppetmaster. He became hated after flogging all our best players in a post-Christmas panic having pushed the boat out too far.

In a sense, he did with our stock market floatation money exactly what McCabe did with our parachute payments - pissed it up the wall, then panicked.

To his credit he did sign Vass Borbokis and Tri Dellas. And we won't see their like again for a while....
they are both still fans apparently might see them in the stands one game ;)

Exactly, who is he?
I can remember just after selling Deane and Fjortoft, we played, I think Ipswich on a Tuesday night, I'm probably wrong, but the crowd started singing "Stand up if you hate Charles Green", and everyone stood up. Good luck to Glasgow Rangers.

Charles Green was the Chief Executive when McDonald was in charge. He is a very controversial figure and not liked by many United fans. He is a lad from Doncaster that has made a lot of money from deals that many might claim were not legitimate. The majority of these he has done working for Mike McDonald.

The infamous incident that Green oversaw was selling Fjortoft and Deane in the same day. All his good work before that (signing Della's and Borbokis etc) was undone when he sold our 2 best players. It seems he had overspent, by brining in the Greek due and offering big contracts to Deane etc and then panicked. It is a real shame, as we'd assembled a good team (Kelly/Tracey, Quinn, Borbokis, Marker, Ward, Patterson, Deane and Fjortoft) and he ended our promotion chances in one foul swoop. Realistically we had been struggling since McGraph was injured and then Whitehouse, but selling 2 goal machines on the same day was nothing short of criminal.

I know someone quite close to owd Charlie boy and I have it on good authority that he made a lot of money from SUFC. He amassed a substantial sum when we were floated on the stock exchange and I think he got a bit pay out at the end. Green reckoned he was the fall guy and he was just doing what McDonald told him, but I just do not buy it. I am not sure there was any malice in his decisions, just greed and extremely poor judgement.

I remember the cries of 'Charles Green, you've fucked up our team' ringing round BDTBL in 1998 and also a car park protest. I despise the guy, but no more so than Trevor Birch. Both blagger idiots that got exposed when they were clearly out of their depth when facing difficult circumstances. Taking hefty salaries whilst making very poor decisions and then crippling United for years to come.I'd like to sit down and have a pint with both of these two (amongst other things) and ask them exactly how they managed to pull the wool over people's eyes in the first place.

In a fantastic position to clinch promotion and he flogged Deane & Fjortoft on the same day. Search the archives for 'Black Thursday' - Note what effect that removing a great goalscorer has had on todays team and multiply it by 2.

I think the sequence of events was a little more complicated. We also had Gareth Taylor and word was out that the club were about to sell him to raise some money. Some fans organised a protest chant at a home game. Macdonald then said, fair enough, if you don't want me to sell Taylor I'll sell Brian Deane. Meanwhile, unbeknown to the fans, moves were already afoot to sell Fjortoft and he went shortly after Deane (I don't think it was actually on the same day).

So we were left with Gareth Taylor, who turned out to be the least best option.

One of my first real memories was that season under spackman. Borbokis finishing off a lovely move to beat sunderland on the opening day if i recall. The other memory chanting "Stand up if you hate Charles Green" at a night game. I will never forgive a man for selling deano and fjortoft on the same day. criminal!

I think the sequence of events was a little more complicated. We also had Gareth Taylor and word was out that the club were about to sell him to raise some money. Some fans organised a protest chant at a home game. Macdonald then said, fair enough, if you don't want me to sell Taylor I'll sell Brian Deane. Meanwhile, unbeknown to the fans, moves were already afoot to sell Fjortoft and he went shortly after Deane (I don't think it was actually on the same day).

So we were left with Gareth Taylor, who turned out to be the least best option.
It most definetly was the same day

I seem to remember from the book "Fit and Proper" that he got a large unjustified payout when he left as well.

Just finished off the two chapters that include Charles Green.

He seemed to be completely out of touch with football, while being McDonalds little right hand man.

The book claims he was in charge of negotiating the contracts of players. Two players, Saunders and Deane, were said to have been on more money per annum than the whole of Bassett's 1995 squad

It most definetly was the same day

I'll take your word for it, but Deane played his last game on 10th January 1998; Fjortoft played his last game on 13th January. This would suggest that Fjortoft was sold after Brian Deane.

Just seen on the BBC that Charles Green is fronting a bid for Rangers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18039281

He was at the club before my time. Who is he and what was United like at the time? Was it the time of S. Bruce?
Charles Green was the guy who was behind selling fjortoft and walker at the same time (think i've missed another if someone could correct) and came on radio sheffield to openly state that United would always be a selling club.

Just finished off the two chapters that include Charles Green.

He seemed to be completely out of touch with football, while being McDonalds little right hand man.

The book claims he was in charge of negotiating the contracts of players. Two players, Saunders and Deane, were said to have been on more money per annum than the whole of Bassett's 1995 squad

I believe he was red hot with the petty cash. Nobody was allowed to nick postage stamps or using the photocopier for personal use.

Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves, as my gran used to say.

The book also detailed how we apparently tried to sign Michael Laudrup from Real Madrid, after we just survived relegation to the 3rd tier of english football. With McDonald and Green claiming we were serious, did they know they were trying to kid Blades fans, the most cynical of all fans!

Gazza ,Hamilton ricard ,kinkladze and michel beck were other " targets "

The book also detailed how we apparently tried to sign Michael Laudrup from Real Madrid, after we just survived relegation to the 3rd tier of english football. With McDonald and Green claiming we were serious, did they know they were trying to kid Blades fans, the most cynical of all fans!

I also remember a move to sign Paul Gascoigne from Rangers that made National News.
He ended up at Boro of course.

I also remember a move to sign Paul Gascoigne from Rangers that made National News.
He ended up at Boro of course.

Just like Hamilton Ricard. Not until after McDonald claimed Middlesbrough had no hope of signing him.

One bit of humour in the book, McDonald and Green's persistent blaming of fans for the clubs inability to pay the ridiculous wages that the players were on at the time.

Mike McDonald's hatchetman and Spackman's puppetmaster. He became hated after flogging all our best players in a post-Christmas panic having pushed the boat out too far

I seem to remember an interview with Green, who I think was already at the club when Howard Kendall arrived. We played at Ipswich in Kendall's first or second game and Nathan Blake had a poor first half. Green claimed that at half time, Howard Kendall asked him if that was all Blake could do, to which Green said "yes", so Kendall got rid of him. It certainly wasn't all Blake could do, he'd scored plenty in a struggling Prem and Div 1 side.

I was struck by Green's arrogance, that he felt competent to judge a player and to claim the credit for having unloaded him, although he may have been influenced by the transfer fee Bolton Wnaderers paid.

I also have a vague recollection that somebody on VP or BU played in the same team as Green for Sheffield Boys many years before?

Takeover agreed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18049325

After reading this thread, I'm will keeping an eye on Rangers just as it's very interesting. But as it Rangers, the spot light (press) will be on Green more so I wonder if he will get away with as much as he with with United.

Well spotted. I'd forgotten that he'd had little choice but to sell Deane
"The Blades' chief executive chief executive Charles Green honoured a promise to the 29-year-old striker to inform him of any interest from continental clubs.
Deane would have been out of contract at the end of the season and could have had a free transfer abroad under the Bosman ruling."

Fjortoft, it seems, was also after a move to a Premiership club to enhance his chances of playing international football.

On the other hand, Green/McDonald could have said "No".

Back
Top Bottom