Championship play-off final

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So, would you have been at Wembley on Monday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cardiff. After the comeback against Notts* Forest I thought ‘no fucker can beat us’. Drove from London to Sheffield so I could go on a coach with me pals and celebrate with them. FFS.

*yes I know.

That drive back I got 3 points through some road works. That was a cracking day ☹️

It’s a sliding doors moment. We’ll never know how fucked we’d have been if we hadn’t have won promotion but I suspect it would’ve been pretty fucked.

Cheers for that, interesting read, really puts into perspective how much money we’ve come into. Also keen to note the bit about Phillips and his loss in the playoffs with Sunderland in 98 as they beat us in the semi. I went up to that as I think we narrowly won at home but were well beaten up there. I seem to remember Michael Gray having a stormer? I can’t be bothered to google and the memory isn’t what it used to be so correct me if I’m wrong.

We won the first leg 2-1 on May 10, 1998 (Marcelo & Borbokis) and lost the second leg at the new Stadium of Light 2-0 on May 13 in front of 40,092. But - in an incredible example of how football can bite you - The Mackems faced Charlton Athletic in the PO Final to decide promotion to the top tier (a match replicated today in the League One play-off final). That game ended 4-4 with Charlton winning on penalties, with Sunderland fan and ex-Blade Clive Mendonca scoring a hat-trick for Charlton.

So today is a huge day for Sunderland. Since being relegated from the Premier League in 2016-17 (the year we were promoted out of League One), Sunderland went straight through The Championship in 2017-18 and were relegated to League One - this despite receiving at least £40m in their Championship season (2017-18) in parachute payments, £25m for season 2018-19 and £20m next season.

So why wasn't this money used to prevent Sunderland slipping into League One? Simples. Last year, Sunderland were taken over by Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven who struck a deal with previous owner Ellis Short. They used £32m of the 'parachutes' to buy the club - putting in just £5m of their own cash.

"They could now both make millions if they push through with plans to sell for £50m, although no rules will have been broken. :rolleyes: Donald on Wednesday night confirmed that the takeover involved a payment of ‘£15m plus last summer’s parachute payment of £25m’, although evidence suggests close to £10m of that first payment was also parachute money.

The Sunderland chairman, a popular figure with fans, also insisted he is still committed to the club ahead of Sunday’s League One play-off final against Charlton. He said: ‘The notion that I am going to leave Sunderland in the short-term, having made a quick profit, is simply wrong.’

In correspondence seen by this newspaper, however, the desire to sell to a new owner is made clear."

And we ask 'Where's munneh gone?'

Back
Top Bottom