Centre Back Situation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

idleurchin

International Arm Stealer
Reaction score
Seen a few people asking if we're replacing CCV with another CB but we've got Stearman, O'Connell, Basham, Wright AND Heneghan so I'm not convinced more cover is required.

That is unless someone like Heneghan ends up out on loan I guess.

I don't think we will replace him and I wonder if we might see a change of formation soon. I don't see Leonard, Holmes and Evans being sat on the bench for long and Fleck and Duffy aren't getting dropped any time soon, so switching to 4 at the back would make room for an additional midfielder.

4-2-3-1 [which was Wilder's preferred formation at Northampton] or even a 4-2-2-2 could work. The 3-5-2 served us brilliantly for a long time but everything runs its course and goes a bit stale eventually. Whether it's down to losing Coutts, or that teams have now figured out the wingback/CB overlap system, we just seem to have lost a bit of something. A change could give us a lift and the thought of Duffy, Holmes and Brooks marauding behind the CF, with Fleck, Evans, Lunny and Lenny to choose from in CM is a very exciting prospect.

I'm not at all at ease with Stevens' patchy performances and as for Lafferty.....well, I'll leave it at that.

You can share out the love you know, it doesn't all have to go to Billy.

Lafferty was instrumental in our promotion last season and hasn't really had much of a chance this season. The way Enda started was fair enough, but if CW is thinking about changes then Lafferty might get the nod. Solid and unspectacular but a hard worker who puts a decent cross in.

All about opionions I suppose, although I am often surprised how wrong other people's are.

Bash will not be perm RCB. I imagine because of the style of play of our RCB Leonard will cover when needed.
Stearman is not a RCB who can get past the WB.

The problem is to the left. I'm not at all at ease with Stevens' patchy performances and as for Lafferty.....well, I'll leave it at that.

It's strange how Stevens started so well but seems to have lost his head recently. Lafferty is solid if unspectacular, much better in defence than going forward. A back 4 would work better with him than with Stevens. JOC might also be an option at left back/wing back, which would bring Wright back into the team.

Longer term it is a position we need to strengthen though.

Lafferty was instrumental in our promotion last season and hasn't really had much of a chance this season. The way Enda started was fair enough, but if CW is thinking about changes then Lafferty might get the nod. Solid and unspectacular but a hard worker who puts a decent cross in.

All about opionions I suppose, although I am often surprised how wrong other people's are.

Not sure about 'instrumental' as such, he was in the team yes. But then again, whilst the Beatles were a great band, it doesn't make Ringo a good drummer...

I'd like a left midfielder who has defensive discipline rather than a left back this time. We need more creativity and a better final ball from the left.

Now - if only we had a left midfielder in our squad who we could at least experiment there with... Oh wait, we have, and he scored against Ipswich.
GIVE THOMAS A GO!

Apart from that, regarding a centre back, we could do with one if Henegan goes out on loan but it's not imperative as long as Leonard can play RCB.

I'd like a left midfielder who has defensive discipline rather than a left back this time. We need more creativity and a better final ball from the left.

That's something I generally prefer with wing backs. A wide midfielder with good stamina and work rate can usually do a good job there.

If it's going to be a full back there ideally it has to be one who's really good going forward.

That's something I generally prefer with wing backs. A wide midfielder with good stamina and work rate can usually do a good job there.

If it's going to be a full back there ideally it has to be one who's really good going forward.
Think Moses at Chelsea, Alonso was a left mid too in Italy.
I'd give Thomas a go in the next 2, see how that works then if not sign another, he clearly doesn't see Lafferty as an option in the league.

CCV returning to Spurs might have sent our transfer window plans into a bit of a tailspin. I think CW might have said that our incoming transfers were complete before the news of CCV’s departure.

I can’t see us spending six months chasing Leonard as a midfielder, only then to play him at centre back. It makes no sense to me...we could have just bought a centre back instead!

So, I think our back room teams will be looking at the available defenders on our wanted list, and I bet it’s a hive of activity at the moment. I’d be very surprised if we weren’t trying to bring someone else in.

Without Lafferty the 100points wouldn't have been achieved.

He's up there on the highest pedestal with the rest of the players from last season.

Why, would we have played with ten men if he’d not been in the team?

Lafferty is a decent defender but his crossing is not as good as Stevens.

I don't think we will replace him and I wonder if we might see a change of formation soon. I don't see Leonard, Holmes and Evans being sat on the bench for long and Fleck and Duffy aren't getting dropped any time soon, so switching to 4 at the back would make room for an additional midfielder.

4-2-3-1 [which was Wilder's preferred formation at Northampton] or even a 4-2-2-2 could work. The 3-5-2 served us brilliantly for a long time but everything runs its course and goes a bit stale eventually. Whether it's down to losing Coutts, or that teams have now figured out the wingback/CB overlap system, we just seem to have lost a bit of something. A change could give us a lift and the thought of Duffy, Holmes and Brooks marauding behind the CF, with Fleck, Evans, Lunny and Lenny to choose from in CM is a very exciting prospect.

A change in formation has got to be considered because our recent results suggest relegation form, not playoff form. However, I'm more for a back to basics approach. For example, it seems our wingbacks and overlappers have lost the ability to put a decent cross in, a source of quite a few of our early season goals. This should be a priority on the fixit list and shouldn't need a lot of effort to put right.

Keep telling people Leonard is here for the right side centre half.

Evidence?

Why else would we now have 5 first team central midfidlers?

But no competition for Basham?

The only other competition for Basham has now left the building in CCV.

Why else would we now have 5 first team central midfidlers?

But no competition for Basham?

The only other competition for Basham has now left the building in CCV.

You mean 4?

Evidence? Do Southend play with 3 CBs? Do their CBs overlap like ours do?

What on earth makes you think he's able to do that role?
Knowing a Southend fan pretty well, and someone on the view from saying his ‘best position’ in his view is right back.

Our RCB isn’t too different to right back at all.

That’s why.

We need to try and bring another young CB in on loan. Doesn't have to be a RCB as I believe Bash and Stearman can play there. If we can loan someone who can play in all 3 CB positions, it would be a bonus.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest Leonard will play there, unless it's an emergency. Why sign a CM and then play him at CB?!

We need to try and bring another young CB in on loan. Doesn't have to be a RCB as I believe Bash and Stearman can play there. If we can loan someone who can play in all 3 CB positions, it would be a bonus.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest Leonard will play there, unless it's an emergency. Why sign a CM and then play him at CB?!

You believe Stearman could bomb forward down the right hand side. I didn’t read the rest I just stopped there.

Back
Top Bottom