Cardiff City v. Sheffield United - 15/08/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

My thoughts and general thinking/findings (in no particular order - stream of consciousness stylee):
  • iFollow works, and seems to work well - decent stream with no real faffing about.
  • The iFollow season ticket at £110 is decent value if you plan on watching all the away games, as it works out at less than £5/game. Not clear if you can watch the home games - if you can it's even better value if you happen to be off on your holibobs mid-season.
  • This "tracks your location / remembers your IP address" thing is bollocks. I literally signed up tonight on my VPN, waited for the payment to process, started the stream, then decided to simply switch wireless networks off my VPN WLAN to my normal, UK-based, no-clever-shenanigans, the-wireless-my-missus-uses-on-her-phone wifi. Worked fine. No cutting out; no complaining i was in the UK.
  • In footy terms, we started alright, but no more than that. We appeared to be holding Cardiff off fine for the most part.
  • However, the defence is a bit suspect at the moment. They seem to be making trivial mistakes - last year they either weren't making them, or the quality differential was such we were rarely punished for them. Hopefully this is just "learning curve".
  • The midfield looks alright - Coutts especially looked comfortable against Cardiff. For me, Fleck was only alright in fits and starts. Don't know whether he's not used to the power of the opposing players, or just the lack of time, or what, but he was uncharacteristically poor and gave the ball away a lot. He then seemed - as he has in the other games - to find his way a bit in the 2nd half. He needs to start finding his way a bit earlier.
  • Carruthers i have a question mark over. I think i'd be tempted to keep him for games where we have more licence to attack teams - against the "bigger" teams in this league, i'm not sure he offers enough, but i'm willing to hold judgement. Against Boro we certainly looked better with Duffy in that role. For me, Duffy's experience showed.
  • Freeman and Stevens are having to track back and defend a bit more than they're (especially Kieron) used to. Because the opposition is better quality, they can't get away with neglecting the defensive duties as much, so seem to be being held back, either through instruction or necessity. This is causing us to lack a bit of width in midfield. I think i'd play Lafferty on the left, again especially in the big games to capitalise on his experience. He's also more solid defending.
  • Up front, I have serious concerns - admittedly early days, but other than Brentford, Sharp hasn't offered much. Against Boro he may as well have not been playing, and he was only marginally better against Cardiff. Mostly this is down to better quality players, and as we all know, it normally takes him a fthing in the air all night against that big, bald, black centrebackew games to get going. Clarke is working harder than I saw him last year, but again isn't offering much, although his hold-up play is more successful than Sharp's.
  • Again, against the bigger teams, away from home, i'd be tempted to play a 4-5-1, but we don't really have wingers, unless we use Freeman and Stevens as wingers, and Lafferty and Basham/Baldock/brayford as fullbacks.
  • As much as i kind of hate saying it, Evans has looked ok when he's come on. he's certainly looked lively, strong, and offers a bit of pace up front, despite not being lightning quick himself (which probably says more about the other forwards than him). Given decent service and support, he might turn out to be an acceptable signing, although if he is a game-changer in the sense that some hope i'll be very surprised.
  • The Mendez-Laing goal (Cardiff's 2nd), was a good strike. Curse of the ex-(loan)-player strikes again.
  • We didn't win a bloody thing all night in the air against that big, bald, black centre-back whose name I don't know and CBA to look up.
  • Coutts was our biggest threat for me. Hit a couple of decent shots from mid-range, but perhaps a bit close to the keeper or a bit slow. Either way, the keeper didn't seem to struggle too much.
  • Blackman is a decent backup keeper, and has done well considering, but i'll be happier when Moore is back.
  • Jake Wright did ok when he came on.
  • Brooks looks a talent, but i worry this might be a step too far, too early for him. If we could find a good footballing L1 team for him to have a half-season loan with I think it'd help him, but i'll obviously defer to Tufty's superior knowledge of the lad.
  • We generally need to toughen up - we bullied a lot of teams last year while playing decent football. We seem to be getting knocked off the ball a bit more so far this year. Again, hopefully learning curve, three games in, etc.
  • We need to go for it against Barnsley. 6pts from 4 games, having had two very tough away games at teams that have spent a lot of money is a decent return. Then we can start focusing on some "easier" games and accruing some points.
I think that's my lot for now.

It's all well and good being a wake up call for Wilder, HRH and McCabe need to back him to improve. If they're saving some money for the JTW then I can see us spending not much at all between now and the window closing.

We should buy quality now instead of dragging the chain . Should we continue in a losing vein, a selling club will up the price, knowing that we may be getting desperate .

Time to start Evans and Brooks in my eyes now.
Can't believe Wendy offered 100-200k for Morrison, looked more like a million pound player tonight, wink wink Chris, if he's for sale, we could do worse!

We couldn't even sign morrisons dog. Why on earth do you think he would come to us?

We were very poor tonight. Lost every second ball and most of the first balls. Pedestrian and sideways passing. Keeper is yet to claim a cross in 3 games at 6'6. Midfield has barely created a decent chance for the forwards, who compared to what we have seen so far, do not have the pace or power required to cause problems like are being caused against us.

3 from 9 or a point a game if you look on the glass half full lol

We couldn't even sign morrisons dog. Why on earth do you think he would come to us?

We were very poor tonight. Lost every second ball and most of the first balls. Pedestrian and sideways passing. Keeper is yet to claim a cross in 3 games at 6'6. Midfield has barely created a decent chance for the forwards, who compared to what we have seen so far, do not have the pace or power required to cause problems like are being caused against us.
Didn't say he would pal, I was pointing out that Wendy's offer was laughable as he looked good tonight.
So you can calm yersen darn nar.

Can't really understand any criticism of Blackman. He was our best player for the 2nd time in 3 games. Some of the saves he makes are insanely good. If he keeps it up then Moore might not walk back in as some think.

It really could have been 5 or 6 from Cardiff tonight who were very good it must be said. Would not be surprised to see them stay up that end.

Can't really understand any criticism of Blackman. He was our best player for the 2nd time in 3 games. Some of the saves he makes are insanely good. If he keeps it up then Moore might not walk back in as some think.

It really could have been 5 or 6 from Cardiff tonight who were very good it must be said. Would not be surprised to see them stay up that end.

Moore will be straight back in.

Blackman cant kick. He's not urgent enough imo. He doesn't command his box from set plays like someone should of his size. He looks indecisive about coming or going for through/long balls.

There is more to being a Gk than saving a free kick or two.

Problem is mate...we DON'T have a squad capable of changing that. You absolutely couldn't be more wrong! Lavery a "game-changer"? Really? What are you smoking?

He's a young ambitious kid, with a bit of pace, who's looked good in flashes in Leagues 1 and 2. He's not convinced anyone down there that he's the real deal and pushing for a starting place - but he's obviously convinced you for some reason so by all means, you are at liberty to explain to all of us who haven't seen that?

I've learned a few things in life. And one thing I learned is that, never look back and compare your current situation with a past one - and take comfort from that. Because you have to deal with what's in front of you now, not something that worked in the past. So your comment about "where were we a year ago?" is total nonsense. And in fact, it's exactly this kind of thinking that produces failure after success. You should always look forward and think, "where are we now?" and "what is needed to succeed at this level?" not, "what did we achieve in the past?".

Lol, think i've touched a nerve here fella.

Never smoked anything in my life, maybe i shall start at age 37 3/4.

I hear you though, and you're right, we need to look forward. However Its quite hard to say where we are now as its such early days. My point about last season is things can change quickly for the better. If its nonsense I apologise. I suspect after tonight defeat many folks will find it hard to have a reasonable debate as they are feeling down and angry at losing (me included).

I don't actually think Lavery is a world beater, or the 'real deal' or deserving to start but compared to the rest of our bench, I think he deserves a chance at coming on. He is quick and has the ability to beat a man or make something happen. Pace is something lots of folks have noticed we are lacking. Not sure you can confidently speak for every single blade that doesn't rate him. But its all about opinions of course.

What would you do to improve things if you were Wilder?

Didn't say he would pal, I was pointing out that Wendy's offer was laughable as he looked good tonight.
So you can calm yersen darn nar.

I believe he turned them down rather than the offer wasn't good enough. It was 3mill or so wasn't it.

No, Wendy offered 100k rising to 200k, they're fucked by ffp rules, hence "ridiculous offer".

Blackman cant kick. He's not urgent enough imo. He doesn't command his box from set plays like someone should of his size. He looks indecisive about coming or going for through/long balls.

What hasn't he commanded that he should have? Neither goal today was his fault.

The goal vs. Boro wasn't either.

What hasn't he commanded that he should have? Neither goal today was his fault.

The goal vs. Boro wasn't either.

I think standing in no man's land allowing a looping header over your head when you're 6'6" tall would suggest otherwise

I think it's very contradictory of people to say that Boro and Cardiff will be up there at the end of the season, at this early stage, but then suggest to those Blades who are concerned with a few things, at this early stage to not even mention them and keep where they think their own club could end up finishing to themselves basically.

These same people know where mighty teams such as Boro and Cardiff are going to end up even though they know fuck all about both sides and how they're going to adapt to this season but they're definitely going to be up there.:rolleyes:

Apparently, we need to get to ten games or whatever it is to see if our players are good enough yet the Boro and Cardiff players are already good enough for promotion after 3, yes three games, even though both teams have played us and Burton, beating us both and Boro also playing Wolves who they lost to whilst Cardiff beat Villa at home which seems like a good time to be playing them.

Thankfully, Wilder will probably know already who's good enough and he'll be doing his upmost to improve our squad and mindset of the players already here.

'Kin spiders!

I think standing in no man's land allowing a looping header over your head when you're 6'6" tall would suggest otherwise

How many more times? If triangle head Basham hadn't have headed the ball like an u8 player on a Sunday morning park pitch, he wouldn't have even conceded!

Lol, think i've touched a nerve here fella.

Never smoked anything in my life, maybe i shall start at age 37 3/4.

I hear you though, and you're right, we need to look forward. However Its quite hard to say where we are now as its such early days. My point about last season is things can change quickly for the better. If its nonsense I apologise. I suspect after tonight defeat many folks will find it hard to have a reasonable debate as they are feeling down and angry at losing (me included).

I don't actually think Lavery is a world beater, or the 'real deal' or deserving to start but compared to the rest of our bench, I think he deserves a chance at coming on. He is quick and has the ability to beat a man or make something happen. Pace is something lots of folks have noticed we are lacking. Not sure you can confidently speak for every single blade that doesn't rate him. But its all about opinions of course.

What would you do to improve things if you were Wilder?

Good question. I don't think it's panic stations by any means and these players need time to adjust. But pace in attack is needed. As is a ball winner in midfield and a strong central defender.

Wilder will sort it providing he'd backed.

annoyed we lost, really irrating that last min goal just before half time & we know the most how tough warnock sides are we had him for 7 years. i thought we were doing ok matching cardiff. players grew into the game & we really shouldve been ahead. but all promoted clubs needs luck, we've had none 2 or 3 disallowed goals & penalty in our 1st 3 games. but saying that 2 times when we been very lax in the penalty box clarke taking all night to take a shot & then sharp wait for ref for handball instead of getting a shot off.

offensively i feel we are good but i think next 2 weeks we need defensive reinforcements as that defence that has made me anxious in all 3 games so far & apparently we were shown up at set pieces as according to RS we didnt win a header at set pieces all night.

i feel that like burnley in premier league our home form is going to be vital & if we beat barnsley which im confident of things will be fine but i made a big post on here post mk i think. that we all knew there would be tough periods where it will difficult. we have just got remember we arent Leicester. turning vicious on giy who months ago gave us an amazing year & we got right guy

Blackman is a tremendous shot stopper but his decision making is very dodgy and this needs improving more than anything else from him.

How many more times? If triangle head Basham hadn't have headed the ball like an u8 player on a Sunday morning park pitch, he wouldn't have even conceded!
If Blackman had decided to leave it to be headed, triangularly or otherwise and stayed on his line, he would have saved it. If he had come and clattered both the attacker and triangle head, the looping header wouldn't have happened. Doing neither means he ends up in a position to do neither so shares at least some of the blame for the goal and all of the blame for not being in the right place to deal with the poor defensive header/resulting looping header.
I don't know a huge amount about goalkeeper coaching, but I suspect they're not told to hang around half way between the ball and the goal line!!

Unfortunately, if you always apply that principle you will be bankrupted very quickly
Its more don't sign top half league one players then expect to be anywhere near the top half of the championship

Back
Top Bottom