Can we make it bigger?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

More to the point - where are these extra fans coming from? I dont know of any floating fans who will follow us in the PL.
I know 3-4 people who have said they’ll get a ST if we’re promoted who currently only go to a couple of games.
IF the SS work can add 5k and can be done without closing that stand reducing the overall attendance it seems a no brainer as it’s the most likely to return on the investment due to the corporate, while giving us more room for the bigger games regardless of the league we’re in.
That said if we aren’t promoted we need the money spent on the squad, and I can’t see the Prince having any interest in it anyway.

More to the point - where are these extra fans coming from? I dont know of any floating fans who will follow us in the PL.

The pull of the PL is in a totally different league to the Championship.

12 years ago during our promotion season in the Championship we averaged 23,650.
That first season in the PL half our games were 32,000 sell outs, for some of the games we could have got 40K
but the other matches against the lesser teams who didn’t bring many supporters ranged from 27 to 31,000.
Our average gate that season increased by 7,000 to 30,512..

In we are in the PL next season we would have demand to easily satisfy a 35,000 capacity.
If we become established In the PL and continue to grow the fanbase its not a massive step to be able to fill a 40,000 capacity.

The problem and this applies to almost every club is any club that is relegated from the PL soon loses a massive floating fanbase.

The pull of the PL is in a totally different league to the Championship.

12 years ago during our promotion season in the Championship we averaged 23,650.
That first season in the PL half our games were 32,000 sell outs, for some of the games we could have got 40K
but the other matches against the lesser teams who didn’t bring many supporters ranged from 27 to 31,000.
Our average gate that season increased by 7,000 to 30,512..

In we are in the PL next season we would have demand to easily satisfy a 35,000 capacity.
If we become established In the PL and continue to grow the fanbase its not a massive step to be able to fill a 40,000 capacity.

The problem and this applies to almost every club is any club that is relegated from the PL soon loses a massive floating fanbase.
The idea that we’ll ever become an established PL side is close to fantasy. There are only seven sides that you could say are ‘established’, the top six and Everton. The rest are a couple of bad appointments away from relegation.

We could do a reasonably long spell, five or six years, maybe a bit more if we were lucky but if we were ever in a position whereby we were financially dependent on being in the PL, to cover the costs of a redevelopment, we’d be at risk of ‘doing a Sunderland’.

The reality is that we’d be lucky to stay up if we got promoted.

i know loads of fair weather fans it must be a Dronfield thing , they will be coming out from under the stones anytime soon .

i know loads of fair weather fans it must be a Dronfield thing , they will be coming out from under the stones anytime soon .

There are 2 types of floating fan.
There’s the casual/ part time Blades fans who only turn up when we have success
But there’s also the much bigger Sky Sports PL football brigade. Neutral fans who want to see the big teams.

If Liveroool, Man City, Man United come to town then there will be a good 10,000 in the South Yorkshire area interested in seeing a live match. You can’t under estimate the pull of the PL, next season, tickets to some of our matches could be like gold dust.
Wouldn’t surprise me if we broke the SouthYorkshire season ticket record breaking through 25K season ticket holders.

There are 2 types of floating fan.
There’s the casual/ part time Blades fans who only turn up when we have success
But there’s also the much bigger Sky Sports PL football brigade. Neutral fans who want to see the big teams.

If Liveroool, Man City, Man United come to town then there will be a good 10,000 in the South Yorkshire area interested in seeing a live match. You can’t under estimate the pull of the PL, next season, tickets to some of our matches could be like gold dust.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we broke the SouthYorkshire season ticket record breaking through 25K season ticket holders.

We’ll have given them away to schools and old folks homes......

If we developed
The idea that we’ll ever become an established PL side is close to fantasy. There are only seven sides that you could say are ‘established’, the top six and Everton. The rest are a couple of bad appointments away from relegation.

We could do a reasonably long spell, five or six years, maybe a bit more if we were lucky but if we were ever in a position whereby we were financially dependent on being in the PL, to cover the costs of a redevelopment, we’d be at risk of ‘doing a Sunderland’.

The reality is that we’d be lucky to stay up if we got promoted.
It may be a flippant comment but I really wouldn’t mind being a yo yo club for a bit

If we developed

It may be a flippant comment but I really wouldn’t mind being a yo yo club for a bit
Me neither. You get the novelty of the PL, a sick feeling when you go down then another promotion season to cheer you up, as opposed to having to anticipate losing half your games every season.

SPEND THE MONEY ON THE TEAM!

Only one like. If people can't spend 90minutes with their knees resting against a bit of plastic it's a sorry state of affairs.....

I thought you superfans on the Kop either stood up all game or were drinking crap beer in the rain or eating a pie whilst having a dump.

N
Only one like. If people can't spend 90minutes with their knees resting against a bit of plastic it's a sorry state of affairs.....

I thought you superfans on the Kop either stood up all game or were drinking crap beer in the rain or eating a pie whilst having a dump.

Or indeed, all four at the same time.

Interesting bit on the bottom of an email I've just received from the club:

*If promotion to the Premier League is secured, works will have to be carried out on Bramall Lane in order to meet the statutory requirements of the league. This may affect a small proportion of existing season ticket holders' seats. Those affected will be contacted directly by the club.
That will be camera requirements: either VAR or broadcast.

I see that Nottingham Forest have got planning permission to extend capacity to 38000 by rebuilding their remaining old stand. It could be like our planning permission I suppose which won’t be acted on until they are established in the Premiership.

If and obviously its a big "if", we do reach the promised land.

I would hope the club would take this opportunity to extend the kop seating as previously suggested and per the proposals to add another 3000-3500 to the overall capacity. This would also be the chance to fix the roof and the posts hindering view. Thus bringing it in line with all the other unrestricted views around the rest of the ground.

I personally think we need that extra allocation of seats in light of the fanatical segregation SYP inflict on us for the big games, when we really should be getting well over the 30k mark, but lose 1500-2000 seats to the red netting . This talk of a 28000/29000 sell out is frustrating and not accurate as a true "sell out" in our stadium would be the 32500 mark, last achieved vs Wigan on the day we went down.

I don't feel we need to go all the way with the top tier on the south stand until such time as we might have had 2 or 3 seasons worth of Premier league income, with a nagging memory of 1975 all over again and how it crippled us for decades later with high loan payments and forced player sales.

But would be great to get the overall capacity to 35000/35500

I see that Nottingham Forest have got planning permission to extend capacity to 38000 by rebuilding their remaining old stand. It could be like our planning permission I suppose which won’t be acted on until they are established in the Premiership.

The Forest owner has already announced work will start Summer 2020, doesn’t matter what division they are in.

This won't occur in the close season, so first opportunity will be if we go up, stay up and if the ownership is sorted

Reactions: FYT
This won't occur in the close season, so first opportunity will be if we go up, stay up and if

the ownership is sorted

Until that happens this is all pie in the sky.

It probably will be until the winner sells on as well.

If and obviously its a big "if", we do reach the promised land.

I would hope the club would take this opportunity to extend the kop seating as previously suggested and per the proposals to add another 3000-3500 to the overall capacity. This would also be the chance to fix the roof and the posts hindering view. Thus bringing it in line with all the other unrestricted views around the rest of the ground.

I personally think we need that extra allocation of seats in light of the fanatical segregation SYP inflict on us for the big games, when we really should be getting well over the 30k mark, but lose 1500-2000 seats to the red netting . This talk of a 28000/29000 sell out is frustrating and not accurate as a true "sell out" in our stadium would be the 32500 mark, last achieved vs Wigan on the day we went down.

I don't feel we need to go all the way with the top tier on the south stand until such time as we might have had 2 or 3 seasons worth of Premier league income, with a nagging memory of 1975 all over again and how it crippled us for decades later with high loan payments and forced player sales.

But would be great to get the overall capacity to 35000/35500

Totally agreement with that. I believe that was the initial plan.
However it seems the club might be prioritising the need for a much bigger ticket office, much bigger club shop, doubling the banqueting/ conference facilities, doubling the executive facilities, building a fancy media and visitors centre. I think a second tier and extra capacity is just a by product of what they really want, which is all the improvements underneath the seating.

The last I heard was a commitment from McCabe stating if we reach the PL and manage to stay up, then building starts immediately when the second season finishes. He did hint that it made financial sense to expand the South stand and the Kop at the same time.
However now that there’s an ownership battle these plans might have all changed, might not happen.

Back
Top Bottom