Callum Robinson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As CW has eluded to in the past, we have numerous player requirement lists, depending on our actual place in each division and relevant funds that entails.

I would expect that the club has or is formulating two "extra" lists for Champions League and Europa League, just in case we qualify for either. Our Goalposts have moved considerably since the start of the season.

I read this morning that Man City are already causing issues with other Premier league clubs that look like qualifying for Europe - and in particular the 5th place CL place. There is a minimum of £40m simply for being in the CL group stages - the report also mentioned that City got £79m last season. Clubs want to know as soon after season end, if 5th place 100% qualifies for the CL.

This 5h club and other clubs need to know at season end where they stand - but if City initially get stuffed by CAS, they intend appealing to some Swiss Court (as UEFA HQ is in that Country) and then the EU - a strategy that they have been working on for months. They stand to lose between £200-£300M in 2 seasons.

If we are in Europe, Robinson may be required as part of a much larger squad.Of course he carries a WILL sell value, but seeing as we attribute our progress due to squad cohesion, we may be better hanging onto him unless silly money is put on the table.

The City issue has at present asked questions if Euro qualification goes down to position 8th.

UTB

The best thing above all about him playing well is that if we do choose to sell him in the summer we might even turn a profit.

Some proper cunty comments about him here. The lads alright, West Brom played the ball to his feet all the time and he was able to control and run at a man. Half the games ive watched him in for us the ball has been sent into channels and in the air for him to chase - hes willing but they are not his strengths.

I think we will try next season to 'play' the ball a bit more like we did last season which would suit robbo more. This year is all about staying up and being able to grind the results out and play when we can afford to.

Scored last night to help WBA win promotion, capping off a pretty tidy loan spell. After a strong start, he seemed to fall out of favour with Billic, which coincided with some of WBA's worst form. He'd been most impressive playing as more of a winger in a front three but last night he played in the middle of a front three. He scored one and assisted another. At the end of the match he was quoted as saying that in his mind, he'll be back with the Blades next season.

What do we reckon? Worth giving him another try next season? Or would you be happy to take what you can get for him if there's interest?

Dunno, think he's too nesh and not quick enough for the PL with the style that he has. Looked a bit lost playing down the middle for us.

I think finances might dictate it, don’t see any reason to not give him a try again at least but if WBA make a bid

Scored last night to help WBA win promotion, capping off a pretty tidy loan spell. After a strong start, he seemed to fall out of favour with Billic, which coincided with some of WBA's worst form. He'd been most impressive playing as more of a winger in a front three but last night he played in the middle of a front three. He scored one and assisted another. At the end of the match he was quoted as saying that in his mind, he'll be back with the Blades next season.

What do we reckon? Worth giving him another try next season? Or would you be happy to take what you can get for him if there's interest?

I did think we loaned him out to try and get his confidence back, as we after all gave him a long contract when he signed. I could see him coming back into our squad.

At the same time, Wilder can quickly size transfers up as not going as planned and make adjustment. Robinson could well be in his mind on the sell-to-reinvest strategy mentioned. Really depends on who we’re looking at, and how much we could get for him.

When Wilder said in his recent interview about letting players go to raise funds i think Robinson was certainly one of them.

Unfortunately a mistake from Wilder, signed a talented wide man and stuck him unfront. Obviously a decent player in there, whether that's top end championship or Premier League remains to be seen.

Fair play to Wilder recognised it and sent him out on Loan where he's seemingly done okay. Probably recoup some/most of the money for him.

We move on.

I think it is a "no brainer" that Callum is in the mix to remain in the squad next season. He gained important game time at WBA when he would have largely been a bench sitter in the second half of the season with us. At the time of his loan we had high hopes that Mousse would give us the pacy option up top to go alongside McB (target), Didzy (link) & Billy (fox in box).

I think the Covid impact on club funds & CW frustration with the Mousse means Callum will not be sold. I agree he could do with more strength conditioning but I do like his movement in/around the box. Watching Berge having the ball as part of the right side triangle with Bash & George you can sense he would like an angled run from one of the strikers in the box as opposed to simply only ever working the overload.

We do lack pace in around the box to slide someone into a gap. Callum does have better movement than some of the others. There are of course areas he has to work on but thinking back to the Chelsea fightback he was a key figure in that second half performance (goal plus assist).

I really liked the Robinson signing. But genuinely, apart from 2 or 3 moments and a half at Chelsea he was woeful for United. He can't play with his back to goal and he has no idea how to press - Against Fylde Leon was having to shout at him and point to where he should be pressing. If he wants to play as one of forwards for United in our current formation he'd have to completely revolutionise his whole game which is way too much to ask.

If we changed formation and let him play more facing the opposition goal then maybe he still has a chance. But I still believe that if we were able to get our money back for him it would be for the best for both parties to move on. No harm, no foul.

But don't be lulled in by his WBA performances and forget just how ineffective he was for United.

The problem is the EFL is skint ... players that we deem to be only championship standard will NOT bring in much in terms of cash to top up our budget. Sadly the only sales which will bring in substantial funds will be those players who we wouldn't want to release.

He doesn't have the speed & power to play up front in the Premier League, he's certainly not suited to playing with his back to goal.

He works well in teams that counter attack, he likes facing goal & picking up positions out wide. WBA are ideal for him in this sense, Newcastle are the other team I've seen that really suit his style.

I think it is a "no brainer" that Callum is in the mix to remain in the squad next season. He gained important game time at WBA when he would have largely been a bench sitter in the second half of the season with us. At the time of his loan we had high hopes that Mousse would give us the pacy option up top to go alongside McB (target), Didzy (link) & Billy (fox in box).

I think the Covid impact on club funds & CW frustration with the Mousse means Callum will not be sold. I agree he could do with more strength conditioning but I do like his movement in/around the box. Watching Berge having the ball as part of the right side triangle with Bash & George you can sense he would like an angled run from one of the strikers in the box as opposed to simply only ever working the overload.

We do lack pace in around the box to slide someone into a gap. Callum does have better movement than some of the others. There are of course areas he has to work on but thinking back to the Chelsea fightback he was a key figure in that second half performance (goal plus assist).
Lest we forget his flick on for McBurnie in the 3-3 draw against Man u as well.

I really liked the Robinson signing. But genuinely, apart from 2 or 3 moments and a half at Chelsea he was woeful for United. He can't play with his back to goal and he has no idea how to press - Against Fylde Leon was having to shout at him and point to where he should be pressing. If he wants to play as one of forwards for United in our current formation he'd have to completely revolutionise his whole game which is way too much to ask.

If we changed formation and let him play more facing the opposition goal then maybe he still has a chance. But I still believe that if we were able to get our money back for him it would be for the best for both parties to move on. No harm, no foul.

But don't be lulled in by his WBA performances and forget just how ineffective he was for United.

Yes I dont get this fawning over him and saying be good to have him back. He was mostly well out of his depth at this level. He was really poor maybe other than the first half opening day and then 2nd half at Chelsea. He did not seem to know where to run and did not 'get' it in terms of work ethic, link play or what was needed to be effective for us.

That may seem harsh but people also need to remember Bilic barely started him - if he was such a stand out why was he not even playing regularly for WBA?

A lot saying WBA will sign him - but they will look for far better. A bit like us with Retsos, Zivkovic - they got a bit of a look and will not with more riches look for much better.

He is a mid table Championship player for me and Preston was about his level.

I think he will end up back on loan in the Champ next season.

May seem a bit critical above but what did people see in the 17 games he was involved in that makes you think for a club like us - now looking to establish ourselves at the top flight for seasons that he is good enough.The striker force was our weakest area of the team and he was the worst of the 5 that was involved the most. It is a cut throat world as Wilder has shown before. He seems a nice lad but was not just quite up to it at this level. If we get close to our money back (we won't) you move him on. No room for sympathy sadly.

Yes I dont get this fawning over him and saying be good to have him back. He was mostly well out of his depth at this level. He was really poor maybe other than the first half opening day and then 2nd half at Chelsea. He did not seem to know where to run and did not 'get' it in terms of work ethic, link play or what was needed to be effective for us.

That may seem harsh but people also need to remember Bilic barely started him - if he was such a stand out why was he not even playing regularly for WBA?

A lot saying WBA will sign him - but they will look for far better. A bit like us with Retsos, Zivkovic - they got a bit of a look and will not with more riches look for much better.

May seem a bit critical above but what did people see in the 17 games he was involved in that makes you think for a club like us - now looking to establish ourselves at the top flight for seasons that he is good enough.The striker force was our weakest area of the team and he was the worst of the 5 that was involved the most. It is a cut throat world as Wilder has shown before. He seems a nice lad but was not just quite up to it at this level. If we get close to our money back (we won't) you move him on. No room for sympathy sadly.
Our best hope for a decent bid may well be if someone like Cardiff wins the playoffs

With the Mousset situation being unclear I think we definitely need him back. He's had a decent loan, his confidence will be up and he adds something different/pace. If we can get our money back then fair enough but we won't get better for what we paid

Have to pull you up on that. He started pretty much every game before lockdown. Didn't start a single game after lockdown and was only used off the bench, until the final game which he started. Billic did a similar thing with Grady Diangana, who was one of their standout players but another loanee. No idea why Billic started using him less, but after he massively praised him after he first joined, and restored him to the lineup for the final game, it made me wonder if there was a bit more than form to it.

There might be an argument to be made about Callum Robinson being one of those classic "great in the Championship, can't cut it in the Premier League" players, but calling him a mid-table Champ player is way off IMO.

Good point Deadbat, Robinson averages 5.97 in the S2 forum player ratings system so didn't do that well in the games he played for us this year. We really should be looking at players who can sustain a 7+ rating.
But you should also acknoweldge that he is young and will probably improve. He also has athletic qualities ie pace that can't be trained. Will it be enough to drive us on though - suggest it is significant improvement that is needed for him to have a future with us.
I would also suggest that we need to start thinking a bit more like a Premier League club and not always selling talented but underperforming young players who we have on long contracts. There is definitely merit in sending these players out on multiple loans and waiting for them to mature to the standard required. Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs etc do this well. Even Burnley have done this. I would keep for now, with Leon leaving and Moose potentially AWOL for a bit there is a role for him. He seems like he has a solid character so worth persevering with.

Interesting though that he started and then was taken out when you look at other loan players like Brewster who have played every game almost. If he was doing that well you think he would have played a lot more than he did in the run in?

He played for Preston who finished 14th, 7th, 11th, 11th - average that out and its effectively mid table for the four years he was there. It's not like he was firing in goals/excelling week in, week out for a yo yo team coming up and down or one who was even that close to promotion save for one season where they flirted with the playoffs.

He was decent but not sure he was great in Championship. He only scored 1 in 4 and his season goal totals of 12, 7, 10, 2 (limited games) is not someone that I would say is great. Other than Norwich (allegedly) did not see lots of Prem clubs tracking him.

As I say, nice lad but just not good enough for where we are now. No problem with the signing as Wilder saw something but I think quite quickly realised he was not quite up to it and the fact we progressed so quickly meant he moved him on and expect if we get a bid anywhere near the money we paid he will go. He is 25 now though so not exactly a kid.

Always makes me giggle.

After the Chelsea or Spurs match, I guarantee should anyone had suggested Robinson have a major role next year everyone would have laughed.

Fast forward to a couple of frustrating performances and all of a sudden he can be one of our main strikers next season.

Regardless of our form, Callum Robinson, as hard working and nice a character he is, is simply not good enough or better than what we have.

We need to IMPROVE on our squad. Especially at the top end of the pitch.

All the negative comments on Robinson . Some seem to think we have some kind of Deane and Agana thing going off up front.

Moose and McB scored FIVE more goals than him.......and he hasn't played for Utd since January.

Interesting though that he started and then was taken out when you look at other loan players like Brewster who have played every game almost. If he was doing that well you think he would have played a lot more than he did in the run in?

He played for Preston who finished 14th, 7th, 11th, 11th - average that out and its effectively mid table for the four years he was there. It's not like he was firing in goals/excelling week in, week out for a yo yo team coming up and down or one who was even that close to promotion save for one season where they flirted with the playoffs.

He was decent but not sure he was great in Championship. He only scored 1 in 4 and his season goal totals of 12, 7, 10, 2 (limited games) is not someone that I would say is great. Other than Norwich (allegedly) did not see lots of Prem clubs tracking him.

As I say, nice lad but just not good enough for where we are now. No problem with the signing as Wilder saw something but I think quite quickly realised he was not quite up to it and the fact we progressed so quickly meant he moved him on and expect if we get a bid anywhere near the money we paid he will go. He is 25 now though so not exactly a kid.

I think looking at how Billic managed another loan player, like Diangana, is more telling than looking at how Swansea managed Brewster. If I remember rightly, West Brom went into lockdown with about a six point cushion on Fulham in third place. Every chance Billic was seeing how important the loanees were to the team, figuring he might not be able to sign both Robinson and Diangana. Christ knows.

The season before we signed him he was averaging a goal every two games (9 goals in 18) playing off the wing until an injury hit in November and he was out 'til March. He then had a much quieter end to the season. The fact that the next time he was in the Championship, he started scoring goals again in one of the top teams in the league, before he then played a key role in the final game of the season which won them promotion (1 goal, 1 assist), tells me he's a very good Championship player.

We're just splitting hairs here but I still disagree he's a mid-table Championship player.

All the negative comments on Robinson . Some seem to think we have some kind of Deane and Agana thing going off up front.

Moose and McB scored FIVE more goals than him.......and he hasn't played for Utd since January.
Do you really think we would have accrued more points had we kept Robinson? If you think we would have, you are kidding yourself.

Do you really think we would have accrued more points had we kept Robinson? If you think we would have, you are kidding yourself.

Conversely, you're saying thank-god we got rid of him because we've got all the goals we need.

Back
Top Bottom