Roy's View From... Bournemouth Fans Views On The Opening Day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I went to Bournemouth to watch United many years ago, a 0-0 bore draw. I fell asleep on the open air end as it was then after many, many shandys

I also worked for a company who's head office was in Bournemouth so I've been on many "Corporate events" lol down there, it was good fun actually and not a pensioner in sight

I have never managed to get a ticket for Bournemouth away.

I'm sure it is very nice.

The weather always looks good on telly.

Just buy a stepladder and save yourself some money, you'll be able to see over the stands.

Not sure that I agree about your definition of plastic.
If Liverpool and Man Utd/ City we’re relegated then history shows that the local Mancs and Scousers would still support their team in big numbers.

Where as Bournemouth have an hardcore fanbase of 6 or 7000, who will support them no matter what.
Now they are in the PL, the local younger fans are suddenly interested in football.

Are those “Johnny come latelys” not plastics?
I suppose the test is whether their fanbase would desert them if and when they are relegated. I suspect they would, where as the Scousers and Mancs wouldn’t.

Although it depends on the history of the Bournmouth fan.
If he’s a relative old timer that supported them in league 1 and league 2, then I agree, it would be interesting chatting to them.
If you support your team and hurt when they lose, you’re a supporter. If you’ve supported them since childhood and couldn’t contemplate ever supporting anyone else, you’re a supporter.
That could be a kid from Manchester whose dad, grandad etc supported City or United, or a kid from Bournemouth who wants to support his local team, the one that came to his school, the one whose academy his mate played for.

It’s only the ones who just choose the team that’s currently the most successful, for no other reason than that, are the ones I’m not bothered about talking to.

I'll stick with my opinion there should be a pathway to the top table and it shouldn't be decided by past history or attendances. I'm sure Barnsley, Blackpool, Swansea, Wigan and Wimbledon fans enjoyed their moment in the sun and long may it continue.

Murky financial manoeuvres seems to go hand in hand with the football industry so it's not a great shock.

I'd definitely agree with the sentiment, Derry; there should always be a pathway to the top.

As for the clubs that have capitalised on dodgy financial dealings by establishing themselves at the top table, they are, as you infer, many and it is galling.

Just a cursory look at next year's top flight we have Villa (who have seemingly escaped EFL's clutches by the skin of their teeth having got up this year); Bournemouth (who apparently have a case to answer if and when they return to the EFL's jurisdiction); Palace (who have been through God knows how many administrations); Leicester (the original administration floaters who were the catalyst for rule change and who also broke EFL rules in gaining their most recent promotion); Wolves (another who escaped EFL scrutiny by spending so outrageously that they made sure that they wouldn't be around to face the music); and, of course, the ultimate 'spiv' club West Ham.

There are probably several others besides. As you say, murky. The Premier League is a very underhand sort of wonderland.

I'd definitely agree with the sentiment, Derry; there should always be a pathway to the top.

As for the clubs that have capitalised on dodgy financial dealings by establishing themselves at the top table, they are, as you infer, many and it is galling.

Just a cursory look at next year's top flight we have Villa (who have seemingly escaped EFL's clutches by the skin of their teeth having got up this year); Bournemouth (who apparently have a case to answer if and when they return to the EFL's jurisdiction); Palace (who have been through God knows how many administrations); Leicester (the original administration floaters who were the catalyst for rule change and who also broke EFL rules in gaining their most recent promotion); Wolves (another who escaped EFL scrutiny by spending so outrageously that they made sure that they wouldn't be around to face the music); and, of course, the ultimate 'spiv' club West Ham.

There are probably several others besides. As you say, murky. The Premier League is a very underhand sort of wonderland.

Wolves "only" spent £20m or so the season they went up, though I imagine a lot of their players were on a few million a year so their accounts can't be great, but I find that slightly less obscene than teams who buy a shit ton of players and gamble on going up.

Apparently though the EFL and EPL are working together to make sure punishments are commutable, so hopefully they're not as safe as they think.

“Just to clarify for any visiting blades fan… Other than Man Utd, every club who has played AFCB on the first game of a Premier League season has ended up being relegated. Have a lovely day”

This quote has been stuck in my head all season. Looks like one of those teams in that game will be getting relagated after all.

Just to clarify for any worried AFCB fans.......other than 18 teams, every club who has played Sheffield United on the first game of the premier league season (2019-20) has ended up being relegated. Have a lovely Seaside retirement.

Please be true..... UTB!

I had no negative feelings towards Bournemouth until that shambles of a showing at BL this season. I've genuinely never seen a team fall over, cry to the referee and do everything except play football (outside of the first 20 mins when they played us off the park) in my life. It was embarrassing to see.

If that's an Eddie Howe team then I can see why his move to a bigger club has never happened

I had no negative feelings towards Bournemouth until that shambles of a showing at BL this season. I've genuinely never seen a team fall over, cry to the referee and do everything except play football (outside of the first 20 mins when they played us off the park) in my life. It was embarrassing to see.

If that's an Eddie Howe team then I can see why his move to a bigger club has never happened
It actually cost them.the game and maybe even their place in the league
Our crowd and players seemed to.step up a gear once we rrwslised they weren't up for a fight and seemed more interested in shithousing than out footballing us ( and to be fair they were dominating the game up to then )

Back
Top Bottom