Bournemouth 1 United 1 - Report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just watched the highlights.

Why was Baldock marking Billing at the back post? 1.78m v 1.98m.

Well I’m still none the wiser about Bournemouth’s last minute free kick. Anyone spotted the offence yet?

Yes he indicated a pull by Norwood. He did not even touch him. Still not seen a replay back of the Fraser tackle? Anyone got it or a link?

Well I’m still none the wiser about Bournemouth’s last minute free kick. Anyone spotted the offence yet?

The referee signalled it was for Norwood pulling their player back but he literally barely touched him and their man didn’t falter or appeal.

Would have been gutting if they’d scored in the last minute from that.

My big worry with VAR is that we will end up falling victim to a terrible refereeing decision that can’t be overturned by VAR. Nearly happened yesterday.

Yes he indicated a pull by Norwood. He did not even touch him. Still not seen a replay back of the Fraser tackle? Anyone got it or a link?

I would say it was a booking at worst. Seemed to me that he went for the ball but was a fraction late and accidentally trod on his foot.

I wouldn’t describe it as a “stamp” as I’ve seen elsewhere.

I watched the whole game too.
Lundstrum was our most effective midfielder today.....his quality isn’t great but he helped stop Bournmouth getting their game together.
Thought Fleck was quiet and Norwood was under par apart from the last 10-15 minutes when they sat back with Norwood running the game.

Thought we were dissapointing today going forward for 80 minutes. We gave too much respect to AFCB and were over cautious.
However maybe the negative tactics were a master stroke by Wilder because let’s face it Bournmouth only had a good 5 minute spell in the whole game.
They showed no urgency or drive, thought they looked poor, although maybe our containing tactics made them look poor.

There’s a theory growing to play defensive midfielders Lunny or Besic away from home
Then when we’re at home seeing loads of the ball, then play Freeman or Ravel.
When we chased the game (bringing on Freeman for Lunny) we then looked our old selfs passing it around looking a good side.

It’s always a tough call to get the balance right between being open and attacking....and being cautious and protecting what we have.

I'd much rather we went after teams like Bournemouth, away from home. In fact, any side in the bottom half of the Premier League are there to be got at and we shouldn't fall into the trap of showing too much respect.

We have a style of play that has been carefully honed over a few years. We have always chased wins and enjoyed great success in doing so. I think we'd shock a lot of sides by being our cavalier selves and many sides would crumble.

I understand we may need to be more cautious away at Leicester, Everton, Wolves, the top 6 etc.. and maybe in our first game back in the Prem it was sensible to be a little more conservative, but I personally hope the flat 3 fades away for matches like this in the future.

Palace at home next week, I really hope to see Freeman on the park in lieu of Lundstram or Fleck. Overlapping centre backs, wing backs pushing up & Norwood calling the shots in the middle of the park.

I have read a fair few comments on sites about the crowd 10,714 saying how poor it is for PL, now considering Bournemouth's capacity is 11,329 that is 615 under 100% full. I wonder how many grounds were full like that in terms of capacity? I don't give a tuppenny shit what anyone says it's a great point and well deserved, considering who we were playing just over 3 years ago come on CWAK and come on United.

He wasnt. Stats can be misleading.

I must say that I agree with you on this. I would imagine that Norwoods brief is to try and pick the pass out which will split the defence so he is bound to appear more wasteful in possession because it won’t always come off.

I felt he didn’t find the pass very often yesterday, and as such I didn’t think he had a great game. He was fine and I fully expect him to find his range as the season goes on, it just didn’t quite happen for him this time.

Excellent report, a great debut in the Premier League Deadbat, you should cope with ease!!

What I like about yesterday was the element of control we kept throughout the game. We were solid and when they scored it was a surprise and undeserved on the balance of play and chances; we have to win the first or second ball at set-pieces though. Thing is we had the quality on the bench to take the game to them and the equaliser was well deserved.

Our team selection and formation was rightly cautious for our first game back and we will have every opportunity to find our feet and then be more ambitious as we get established. Bringing myself to watch Match of the Day for the first time for 12 years, what struck me last night was how bad Premier League defenders are. We have the forwards to really bother them now.

Debut? I was boring people about us 12 years ago when we were last at this level

Debut? I was boring people about us 12 years ago when we were last at this level

Apologies, I've have been reading your reports since 2013 and can recall plenty of hard times the team had and when you personally also got little appreciation for your reports, mainly because it was mostly bad news and fans were despondent and aggressive.

You deserve all the support and thanks you get Deadbat, you're 'fixture and fittings' on here. How much more fun it must be to report on Wilder's Wonderland.

When did you start by the way? And how do you do it? Dicktophone?:D

Hope your seats are OK next weekend :rolleyes:

Only seen the highlights once on MoD, but I didn't think it was a free kick for their goal. Fraser just seemed to knock the ball past Enda, then run straight into him. I didn't see Enda grab his shirt, hang out a leg or move to block his path. He just seemed to stand his ground. Surely he doesn't have to move out of the way? I know that horrible cuntflap Jack Grealish likes to knock the ball past his man , jump into him and then roll on the floor, but if refs are going to give these in the prem then i'm going to spend a lot of this year shouting at the tv.

Only seen the highlights once on MoD, but I didn't think it was a free kick for their goal. Fraser just seemed to knock the ball past Enda, then run straight into him. I didn't see Enda grab his shirt, hang out a leg or move to block his path. He just seemed to stand his ground. Surely he doesn't have to move out of the way? I know that horrible cuntflap Jack Grealish likes to knock the ball past his man , jump into him and then roll on the floor, but if refs are going to give these in the prem then i'm going to spend a lot of this year shouting at the tv.
He also knocked the ball in a different direction to which he ran
Bit gullible from the ref but it wasn't the first time he gave them a free kick for fuck all

Ratings: (these may seem a bit low but I am marking them as Premier League players – as a guide 0-3 is a shocker, 4-5 is poor, 6 average, 7 decent, 8 good, 9 superb and 10 out of this world….so 6.5 is average to decent!)

Henderson 7/10 – Solid enough. Was not really tested apart from one good save from Billing and a few shots that went wide/over. He took a few crosses. On the goal he reacted to make the save and it was that close I am not sure he could push it wide and was just an instinctive save really. His kicking was quite poor throughout – not so much when played back to him but more from dead balls or his hands and often kicked it out, went too long or struggled to make half way on a few others with the wind.

Baldock 7/10 – Defensively he stuck to his task well and kept his shape – stopping the cross. On the goal it seemed he got done with a bigger man against him at the back stick and the whole defence maybe did not communicate well enough to deal with the overload at the far post. He had also not cleared the ball properly (sliced it somewhat) in the build up to them winning the free kick. After this he got into some good positions but dithered a few times and was a bit slow to make the pass/cross and his decision making will need to be made quicker but did well in the lead up to the goal to cross the ball over. I was pleased that he did not get run beyond the other way.

Basham 6.5/10 – As with Baldock, on the right-hand side thought he was fine defensively and did not get got caught on the break. He was nice and disciplined. He was ok with the ball when under no pressure but did give it away a few times when pressed. He did not get forward that much though and when he did, he sort of panicked a bit and we did not keep it when we had that overload we try. Did not look out of his depth though and we saw one mini Cruyff turn at one point.

O’Connell 7/10 – Defended well and made a few good interceptions when they threatened us with pace. Him and Egan coped ok with Wilson and King who had a few runs but they held them up and stopped them penetrating too much. He like Basham tried to get forward but when he did, he did not have much of an impact and most of his work was in our half.

Egan 7/10 – Solid enough where he won tackles and sat deepest of our players and tried to stop them getting those little balls/passes that would lead to Wilson or King turning. He will have a different kind of challenge at this level as not all teams play with a big, physical striker and power/pace is more of the threat I feel. Today faced with good pace and movement, he kept his shape and I felt we limited a potent attack to few chances of note at all. Indeed, cannot recall any of their strikers getting away to have an effort or a shot on goal all game (maybe the one on the goal) so that has to be a big credit to the defence.

Stevens 7/10 – Maybe our most attacking of our back 5 or certainly of the two wing/overlapping centre backs. Thought he was steady enough and for the most part defended well but did give away a few too many silly free kicks, including the one that led to the goal. He gave another one away later in a similar position. I loved the way he kept trying to get up the field though and was involved in some of our better moves. To see him attacking on the right-hand corner when we were attacking at the end showed what we are about in terms of going for it and committing men forward. At times he looked a class act though and the running forward and link play was excellent.

Fleck 6.5/10 – I felt he and Norwood did some good things but I actually think both can do much better with and without the ball. We had a kind of low block where we had the whole team quite deep when they had it and tried to make them pass it through us or force them wide by packing the midfield. In this sense it worked as they created very little. At times you saw how we might struggle with pace and athleticism and Billing and Lerma were able to win a lot of loose things especially more in the second half. I felt all three midfielders at times were nice and composed and kept it simple and then even at 0-0 tried to go long a bit too much or do too much. He sent 3 crosses behind the goal (wind?) When we just kept it and moved it, we made chances. This seemed to stop 2nd half – the example when Fleck ran through and was pushed off easily by a stronger player. Fleck was booked for a high challenge which was fair enough. A decent, steady game but can improve also.

Norwood 6.5/10 – Felt he showed some good bits where he had the ball and moved it on and showed good composure. Technically showed he should cope fine at this level. He was calm and assured but then he also went long too much and not many of his passes, if any found the man. He was a bit rushed when we had it in good positions. His crosses were a bit hit and miss too but he of course put it in for the one that led to the goal. Gave away a few poor free kicks including the one right at the end which led to a great chance. Think him and Fleck will be better at home when we hopefully see more of the ball – today they had to do a lot of defensive work.

Lundstram 7/10 – He was fine and maybe the best of the three midfielders. Three superb balls nearly led to goals. He played the delightful through ball to McGoldrick who should have scored really when one on one. He then put another great cross in for Robinson who just missed it early in the 2nd half. Also played in McGoldrick when he shot wide. So, three big chances out of our four (Robinson had the other shot saved) he made. He was neat and tidy for the most part although had one poor shot and another cross miles over the bar. He was used in a role where at times he was the front of the press and then when we had it often was the closest to the strikers. It was not like he was in a Duffy role as it was more of a flat three but he did a decent job today. Not sure he will play much at home but in away games if he can replicate today, he will be a useful player but needs to keep to these standards.

McGoldrick 7/10 – Had two very good chances – one he maybe should have done better with when in the first minute he was in and maybe a lob (like Derby) would have led to a goal but he was leaning back a bit and his shot lacked power and was saved. He then had another chance 2nd half when put in by Lundstram but shot wide on the angle – it was not far wide and this one a good effort. His link play was good as he came back and him and Robinson both did the defensive work well as when they had it we sat back and kept a solid shape. He came off on the hour when McBurnie came on.

Robinson 7/10 – At times he looked good and was very bright and lively early on. He plays on the shoulder with his pace and looked to link with McGoldrick. First half he worked hard and was closing down/covering but also linking and keeping it when he could when we had it. He had one decent shot which was saved. 2nd half I felt he was not as effective and was quieter as they had more of the ball and the game but kept going and was still looking for the ball. He had a good chance but seemed to just miss it. One lovely dummy second half where it nearly led to a chance for McGoldrick.

Subs –

McBurnie – Came on for McGoldrick after they scored but was being readied even before that. He was all action and held it up when he could and chased things down. Involved in the goal when his effort was deflected into Sharp’s path.

Freeman – Brought on for Lundstram and he too like McBurnie tried to get on the ball and play – he actually won the free kick so all three subs involved in the goal! He had a few half chances at the end to get it into the box or create something but took a bit long as we seemed caught on keeping it and going for a winner!

Sharp – Replaced Basham as we chucked men forward and then with one of the couple of touches, he had, managed to knock it home and be in the right spot to score. Great to see his jubilation and the scenes at the end when he got the goal and he has been dreaming of that all his life. Think he may remain on the bench next week though as the front two did ok. Brilliant we have player we can rotate around – not sure there will be two fixed starters for the first part of the season and all will get games/chances.

Manager Wilder 7.5/10 – A solid performance where we kept our shape, did not concede all the possession and also, they did not have many chances at all. They scored a set play rather than a wonder goal and their only other really good effort came from a long-range shot. His decision to pick Lundstramm was vindicated and all three subs did well and combined on the goal. He will feel we can maybe keep it a bit better and at times our final ball was poor and rushed but as a starting point, literally, this was a good start and he will be happy. That is the thing, we played well but could play even better and it is not as if individually and collectively we were outstanding – we were decent- good and still drew deservedly at an established Premier League club.

Bournemouth – I expected a lot more from them. They did have a number of injuries of course missing a few who may have started in Kelly, Brooks, Gosling, Lewis Cook (also Stanislas and Francis) but with players they have such as Fraser, Wilson, King at the top I thought they would have shown more of an attacking threat. Over the game, Mepham had his goal from a set play and then he missed one wide – they had the one shot of note which Billing hit and Henderson made a smart save but outside of this I cannot recall many efforts on goal if any – outside of the one just before the goal. They had a few crosses go across and a few fly wide/over but Henderson was not that busy. First half we had the better 2 chances/efforts an they easily could have been behind after only a minute. I am not sure they were quite ready that we could knock it about like we could and that we would have a go at times and not sit back – we did when we did not have the ball but when we had it, we tried to pin them back. It was ironic that they ended up knocking it long quite a bit or using the long throw at times as a main tactic and the goal came from a header at the back post.

In general football, Lama and Billing had a spell where they started to assert some influence around the goal but they never really ran away from us and even at 1-0 it was a scrappy lead and undeserved over the piece. The goal was well deserved for United and they cannot argue at a point apiece. I expected them to move it quicker and forward with more purpose and it was a bit pedestrian (from both sides but they were the home team and established Premier League team). I think in the end they just thought they’d edge a scrappy 1-0 win but like with us did not defend a set play properly at all. When they looked good it was when they picked us off and moved it through the thirds quicker and used the pace of Wilson, Fraser and King. They did not do this enough and were careless with the ball. Saw a few fans say they struggle against physical sides like us – not sure outside the centre backs we were that physical.

I was quite annoyed how often they threw themselves down and looked for a foul – luckily the ref in most cases just played on. It was pathetic. The most minimal of contact and they would go down and stop. Worrying if teams do this every week. Not sure why as they are clearly very good players and don’t need to do this. Maybe we need to be a bit cuter in this regard?

I am sure they won’t be near the relegation places and will get players back but will have to improve a lot from that performance.

Opposition key man – He maybe could have been sent off but Fraser was the best player for them. Always lively, running with it and his set plays are excellent. He does go to floor too much and maybe bought a few free kicks but the one they scored from was a foul. Like to see the challenge on Norwood back as it was definitely a yellow and maybe a red and would have been a pivotal moment. Ramsdale made some expected but decent saves. Wilson was a threat but we dealt with him well. I thought Billing looked powerful at times and could be a good signing.

Opposition weak link – Not sure there was anyone that was awful but I feel Cook is a steady eddy but one that even our front two showed could be got at with pace. The two full backs were not that secure defensively and we got in a few times down the flanks – sure both Rico and Smith may be replaced when fit players come back. Ironically Mepham scored but he too was a bit sloppy and lost his man a few times when we attacked.

Referee / VAR review – Kevin Friend. Thought he was fine and actually for the most part did not fall for the attempts to go to ground for free kicks. That is where VAR worries me as if they slow it down it looks worse – but apparently, they watch in real speed first. The bookings were fine – Smith was late on O’Connell, then Fraser was booked for simulation (he had dived a few times before this) and then Fleck was high on an aerial challenge.

I do think the Fraser one on Norwood looked very high and over the ball but I am not totally sure on the rules – if he had booked him then he could have reviewed and maybe sent him off – but if he does not book him it is not seen as a review – I suppose they cannot review all fouls and decide if it would be a booking as that would be ridiculous. Is it just a case of the ref missed this or decided it was not a yellow so VAR in Stockley Park cannot get involved? If that is the case then that is fine but seems like the worse the ref decision is the worse it could get if that is right as it means anything not booked then cannot be a red. As I say it looked like a poor decision – they mentioned it on Sky and Le Tissier who gave us lots of credit and said we were comfortable – said he thought yellow but he had admitted he had only seen it once. The rest of the game was saw bookings reviewed from VAR (one each anyway where they checked if it would be a red – neither was) but they did not review the Fraser dive? There was a half-hearted appeal for a penalty near the end of them but if anything was a foul against our player. They did check for an offside on their goal but was clearly on and then when we scored, I worried about anything that could disallow it but there was no offside, no foul, no hand ball and I could finally celebrate again – after the replay! It is going to be odd though and quite stop start. They got most things right today and the one they may have got wrong they may not be able to do anything if the ref feels it was not a booking and thus not reviewed. Anyone know? I should read up more but saw one in the Spurs game with no booking and it was reviewed?

I felt it was a booking at least and maybe more. The rest of the game Friend was good and he played on when he could, tried to keep things moving and I am not sure he favoured the more established home, Prem side – outside of that above decision.
Another thing I'm not sure regarding the rules is overhead kicks when oner players are around you.

Ake on their goal had an overhead but there were at least two United pleased closing on him. If this was centre of the park you could see it being given as a foup for dangerous play. I don't see how him trying that when two players were close by isn't.

If they are miles away like the one Rooney scored in the Manchester Derby or Bale in the CL final, then fine, but when players are in close proximity, surely that is not the moment to try it, and is dangerous play?

Apologies, I've have been reading your reports since 2013 and can recall plenty of hard times the team had and when you personally also got little appreciation for your reports, mainly because it was mostly bad news and fans were despondent and aggressive.

You deserve all the support and thanks you get Deadbat, you're 'fixture and fittings' on here. How much more fun it must be to report on Wilder's Wonderland.

When did you start by the way? And how do you do it? Dicktophone?:D

Hope your seats are OK next weekend :rolleyes:
I also have been reading the reports by Deadbat for many years and can recall when these were shown on Bladesmad and the official United site.

I can recall in the Blackwell era coming away from the Lane having seen another poor performance and yet KB would be on the radio stating how United had “battered” a team and were so unlucky not to win. This was far from my view and it was reassuring to read a Deadbat report which was much closer to my view than the KB thoughts.

As we all know Deadbat does not “pull any punches” and I was always amazed that the reports were on the official site.

I always appreciate the reports by Deadbat - please keep up the good work.

I would probably just raise a couple .... just my opinion as I personally cant see how the Bournemouth lad got MOM ....
Henderson 8 ..... 2 PL highest quality class saves (granted the 2nd was knocked in from the rebound) - agree re the kicking BUT they cleverly stuck a centre forward on him ... they did their HW. Welcome to the PL

Baldock - yep 7
Bash - 7 .... played a more defensive role and looked comfortable
Eagan - 7 .... solid a natural
JOC - 7 ... as Bash BUT got forward a little more
Stevens - 7 - I have him my fantasy league team - scored me 3 points. Looked so at ease - very happy

Fleck - 7 ... I don't want to give a 6.5 out ... but didn't look out of place. Nailed on for x5 bookings before Nov
Oli - 8 ... He feels loved here and repays. Played with the same confidence as last year; always wanted the ball ... delivery at times could have been better BUT it was bloody blustery. Tackled well - Oli's BEST ever PL game #fact... until next week. Love the lad
Lundstram - 7.9 ... the surprise of the lot and in a really nice way. He was dead man hanging pre KO and was soooo nearly a God after that pass after 38 seconds. Really pleased for him. 1st start in 2019 (sorry if incorrect) did better than expected and this is why in CW we trust.

Robinson 7 - so nearly an 8 .... but really tired the last 10 mins - shows how hard he worked. Great 1st half and a great signing
McGoldrick 7 ..... ooooooo could have been a fairytale start .... worked tirelessly for the team BUT PL chances are like a free bar at a wedding - they need taking

Freeman - lively - we scored when he was on so 7
McB - selfishly helped set up Billy (well in some kind of way) - we scored, he was involved 7
Billy - 10 can't be any less ....... 1 0 down with 10 min to go - boom - get in.... He joins a list of 'proper' footballers who have scored in all 4 divisions .... humiliated on the radio ... not bad for a fat League 1 striker lol

CW - 8 ... 1 0 down - needed to change - he did - we got a well deserved point and looked like we were at home in the PL ... a VERY even game. Changes last season were when we were up in games .... and we looked weaker - today our bench helped change the game.

Cheers for inspiring me to contribute .... very happy Blade tonight

It wasn’t “boom get in”. It was a scuffed mis-kick that bobbled in. That doesn’t matter of course, but it would had Lunny scored it. Nobody would be calling for a ten for him.

Bladey Claptrap.

Thanks as always DB always look forward to your report, you do a great job.

I'm going to stick my neck our here and say I think Fleck might be the one to lose his place before Lundstrum,..... I'll get my tin hat ready

Yes, he’s one of two players who simply must start every game.

I agree with you entirely. Personally I think Tufty will look at each game on its merits and there’ll only be one automatic selection, that’s in goal. Egan and his song, JoC and Enda will be pretty close.

That won’t suit the multiple knee-jerkers and granite-skills on here and even more so on twit. They’ll be screaming “why has he dropped X” totally failing to understand the modern squad system.

Why would you ask that ?

Cos I'm a pedantic pernickety twat and some things annoy me. In my job (and out of it) I proof read (proofread) everything so it is accurate. Sorry I've pissed on your chips and upset Deadbat. I'm sure he's big enough to accept it.

Referee / VAR review – Kevin Friend. Thought he was fine and actually for the most part did not fall for the attempts to go to ground for free kicks. That is where VAR worries me as if they slow it down it looks worse – but apparently, they watch in real speed first. The bookings were fine – Smith was late on O’Connell, then Fraser was booked for simulation (he had dived a few times before this) and then Fleck was high on an aerial challenge.

I do think the Fraser one on Norwood looked very high and over the ball but I am not totally sure on the rules – if he had booked him then he could have reviewed and maybe sent him off – but if he does not book him it is not seen as a review – I suppose they cannot review all fouls and decide if it would be a booking as that would be ridiculous. Is it just a case of the ref missed this or decided it was not a yellow so VAR in Stockley Park cannot get involved?

I think the Fraser challenge on Norwood did get automatically reviewed by VAR mate.

I would knock at least 0.5 off McGoldrick's score as he just stood around marking invisible for the Bournemouth goal when he had plenty of time to get involved and try and block.

I think the goal was caused because Egan and Basham both went for the ball leaving the player free to hit it.

Dicktophone

Careful if you're trying this, don't send it to the wrong recipient whatever you do!

It wasn’t “boom get in”. It was a scuffed mis-kick that bobbled in. That doesn’t matter of course, but it would had Lunny scored it. Nobody would be calling for a ten for him.

Bladey Claptrap.

Oh dear, another blow to the "Billy can't play" agenda, now in year four.
Your campaign is tedious and all too predictable.

Another thing I'm not sure regarding the rules is overhead kicks when oner players are around you.

Ake on their goal had an overhead but there were at least two United pleased closing on him. If this was centre of the park you could see it being given as a foup for dangerous play. I don't see how him trying that when two players were close by isn't.

If they are miles away like the one Rooney scored in the Manchester Derby or Bale in the CL final, then fine, but when players are in close proximity, surely that is not the moment to try it, and is dangerous play?

I've been saying the same for years - it's a complete nonsense .

Bladey Claptrap.
Just to say ... a week after this exchange ........... I today am giving Lunny a 'ten' ......... you made this happen. A happy day for everyone. Have a fab week

Back
Top Bottom