'Memries' Bootham Crescent

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Watching Look North this evening on Bootham Crescent being developed for flats, I remembered the friendly at York City in 2013 when Callum Mcfadzean scored a classic goal.
Apart from this, the only time I recall us playing at York was a classic 4-3 win in our 4th Division championship season. I didn't go, does anyone recall this game?

Watching Look North this evening on Bootham Crescent being developed for flats, I remembered the friendly at York City in 2013 when Callum Mcfadzean scored a classic goal.
Apart from this, the only time I recall us playing at York was a classic 4-3 win in our 4th Division championship season. I didn't go, does anyone recall this game?

Yes mate played em earlier that 4th div season in league cup.

Went there twice

Pre season friendly in 1973. Salmons scored first with a header but York fought back to win 2-1. Before the kick off we noticed that Woody's hair was going grey!

The other time was the 4-3 win in October 1981. Hatton scored first and Cooperman ran on the pitch to congratulate him, York then went into a 2-1 lead before Edwards equalised just before half time. York led again in the 2nd half but two Trusson headers at the other end in the final minutes had the Blades fans into raptures.

Went there twice

Pre season friendly in 1973. Salmons scored first with a header but York fought back to win 2-1. Before the kick off we noticed that Woody's hair was going grey!

The other time was the 4-3 win in October 1981. Hatton scored first and Cooperman ran on the pitch to congratulate him, York then went into a 2-1 lead before Edwards equalised just before half time. York led again in the 2nd half but two Trusson headers at the other end in the final minutes had the Blades fans into raptures.
Thanks, I didn't attend the game, but it is a game I remember as a child, in particular Keith Walwyn who was a big threat up front for York.

Look at the defending for their goal.

Norwood’s fault obviously!

I worked in York in the early 1980's and went to Bootham Crescent quite a few times.

A bloke I was working with had a flat next to the ground and at half time we could get a 'pass out' to go and have a cup of tea and watch the half time scores on his tele.

I remember the 4=3 win. I think there was a league cup tie about the same time. I'm sure a Blades fan came on the pitch to shake the referees hand when he gave a decision in our favour.

York as a city should definitely have a football league club.

Was at this game with my youngest lad. It was nice for him to experience standing up behind the goal. We stood at the back but still felt like we were at the front. Great ground my lad went on to play in a final their for his Sunday team a couple of times and it was great to see Cressy get a good reception from our fans. I was at the 4-3 in Div 4. That was a great year for away games I unfortunately missed 4 away games that season but stayed with my family in York for that one. Great game great season.

Look at the defending for their goal.

Norwood’s fault obviously!
WOW. We really were bad weren't we!?

Is that McEveley who misses the first header (by a mile, unchallenged)? I can't work out who the captain is that misses the tackle (pathetic) and then the full back (youth player?) and Danny Higginbotham both make a mess of it. Notable mentions for Nos 14 & 15 as well, who both make shambolic attempts at tackles. Can anyone name them all?

Went in the Main Stand for the 4-3 win in 1981. Fantastic view of the Blades fans on all 3 of the other terraced sides of the ground.

Having bought a programme outside, we got inside to discover that programmes were 'complimentary' if you went in the stand; there was one placed on every seat. I've got 6.

I've seen York a few times - Bootham cr wont be missed. Memorably i saw an 18 yr old Nathan Blake score a 25yard juggling shot into the top lh corner for Cardiff against York in 1990. It is good to see emerging talents when they burst on to the scene.

Sad times.

I went to university in York so look out for their results. Once saw Ade Akinbiyi tear City apart for Gillingham at Bootham Crescent. Graeme Murty was head and shoulders the best City player back then, and he eventually found his way to the Prem.

Oh, and the level of moaning I witness in the Bootham End has only ever been matched by the whining buggers at Saltergate. :)

Went to the friendly in 2013. Great away trip, given the plethora of pubs in York city centre, which is only a short walk away. I can't remember too much of the game (partly due to the aforementioned pubs). It is a shame they're moving on, but I suppose it may help them progress and cement a spot in the league.

Went in the 4th division and was only 10 years old but already had that magical feeling for me about going to grounds with character to watch the team I’d fallen in love with. Net full of toilet rolls greeting the blades onto the pitch.

Remember Cooperman, I don’t know if I should be worried that I was vaguely aware of those sort of characters at such a tender age but that’s another story.

Also went to the aforementioned friendly although didn’t make it into the ground despite setting off at 9.30am. To be fair that was the reason why I didn’t make it into the match😂

Did a few in the fourth division but gutted I didn't do York. The one time I did go to Bootham Crescent was on the train pre-season 86/87, I think I'm right in saying Beagrie made his first appearance in a United shirt. Went a couple of years ago to see Yorkshire in the CC at Clifton Lane too.

I think York is a cracking spot for a day out, Racing, supping or just a family day out, something for everyone. When Yorkshire becomes it own country York will make a fantastic Capital City.

Went to the game in 73 had a bit of a run in with Leeds fans on the way back to the station one of them got pushed off the bridge over the river, I still can't make me mind up if he was lucky or not he landed on the tow path.

I won't surprise you to know I have been to Bootham Crescent many times, I even went to Bootham School and was lucky enough to play with Graeme Murty, Jono Greening and Richard Creswell (very briefly).

Bootham Crescent opened on 31 August 1932 and now they move to the LNER stadium (which is also the name of Lincoln's stadium). This is the record at their iconic home...

Played: 2063

Won: 952

Drew: 549

Lost: 562

Another classic old skool ground lost, Boston's York Street is awaiting its death knell too...

A certain soul and spirit stays where those old hallowed turfs and terraces lay, unforgotten by those who embodied it...and never to be replaced within the pastures new alas.

My visit to Bootham Crescent came in back in Dec 2016 when Worcester played them in the FA Trophy.. over zealous stewarding did spoil things keeping us penned in the crappy corner of the away end and hardly able to explore the ground, which I tried to do until they were on their walkie talkies and thought I was going to jump the fence and lead a pitch invasion after The Beast Jon Parkin put York in front!! 🙈🙈😂😂😂

At least I shall remain immortalized in some small way as the photo appeared in their local paper of Parkin celebrating and thats me in the background under his armpit turning away in disgust at how easy it was for him to lumber through 😂

5791887.jpg

You’re on you’re own, you’re on your own 😂

Forgot another time I went non blades related. York were playing Bristol City probably late eighties and me and my mates went through a bit of a phase of going to a few non united (or pigs games for them),

Bristol City were pushing for promotion so we knew they would be taking thousands so we went on the away end for the craic. It was 0 0 and pretty unforgettable until a couple minutes from the end when City scored, cue absolute scenes on the away end of which we were jumping up and down with them loving it.
Another classic old skool ground lost, Boston's York Street is awaiting its death knell too...

A certain soul and spirit stays where those old hallowed turfs and terraces lay, unforgotten by those who embodied it...and never to be replaced within the pastures new alas.

My visit to Bootham Crescent came in back in Dec 2016 when Worcester played them in the FA Trophy.. over zealous stewarding did spoil things keeping us penned in the crappy corner of the away end and hardly able to explore the ground, which I tried to do until they were on their walkie talkies and thought I was going to jump the fence and lead a pitch invasion after The Beast Jon Parkin put York in front!! 🙈🙈😂😂😂

At least I shall remain immortalized in some small way as the photo appeared in their local paper of Parkin celebrating and thats me in the background under his armpit turning away in disgust at how easy it was for him to lumber through 😂

5791887.jpg

Went to the 4-3 league game, not the cup tie. Seem to remember there was part of the away end ‘boarded up’ for want of a better phrase.

I went to the friendly in 2013, remember getting piss wet through in the roofless stand.

Shame it's gone.

Mrs Oreyt is a red. Grew up in York and was one of the ones clearing snow off the pitch before they beat Arsenal. I went with her to watch them play a Premiership Stoke in the FA Cup a few years ago; they took 4000 - they took the lead scoring past Simonson and he was subbed just after. And then he was bought by someone else : /

We were meant to be going to Bootham one last time before they closed it :(

Went to the 4th division game, exciting match. Met Reg Brearley in the car park before the game and had a chat with him, he was enthusiastic about our prospects under Porterfield.

It is criminal that they are leaving there and going out of town. The ground is fine as it is, plenty big enough for York, and many people seem to regard it as a great away trip, with the walk to the ground and the pub opportunities being a particular highlight. Such a shame.

I hope we stay where we are in the City and never end up by the M1 or Parkway.

When I was at school I often went to watch Scunthorpe United with my brother, and he'd sometimes come with me to watch the Blades.

Remember going in the 90s to watch Scunny there, bloody strong snowstorm from memory. Sure it was 4 or 5 nil to York.

Crap bogs, open terrace from memory (might be wrong on that), but it had character, and love grounds where you're close to the pitch.

Went to see a reserve game there in February 2007. Was enjoying a pre game pint in their social club as the referee came in and shouted the game was off (frozen pitch). We had two reserve sides that season and I'd planned to watch the other one play the following day. That game was cancelled as well.

Back
Top Bottom