Body Language

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LSF

Reaction score
Most of last nights opinions on here have covered the basics -
Lovely first 35 minutes, usual not enough goals to highlight how much better we were in that period than our more costly opponents.
The dramatic fall away (which appeared to me to start with that disastrous corner routine that almost ended with us conceding after Hendo's slip on the desso turf)
The second half capitulation....

However, the significant thing for me last night was the players immediate reaction after their second goal. I've never seen as many resigned hands on hips and heads down poses from this set of players before.
Both my son and I remarked at the body language pre restart, there was no look of 'lets get down their throats' for the equaliser theatrics. And so it panned out that their apparent defeated look transpired into their play from thereon....
A first this season?

Lovely first 35 minutes, usual not enough goals to highlight how much better we were in that period than our more costly opponents.
The dramatic fall away (which appeared to me to start with that disastrous corner routine that almost ended with us conceding after Hendo's slip on the desso turf)

However, the significant thing for me last night was the players immediate reaction after their second goal. I've never seen as many resigned hands on hips and heads down poses from this set of players before.
Both my son and I remarked at the body language pre restart, there was no look of 'lets get down their throats' for the equaliser theatrics. And so it panned out that their apparent defeated look transpired into their play from thereon....
A first this season?

The players body language was poor from the moment West Brom scored their first.

CW has always gone on about how important the first goal is.
It's almost as if that's all you have to do to win/not lose a game.
Maybe it has had a psychological affect on the players?
Compare that to (love him or hate him) Warnock's don't-know-when-they're-beaten team back in the day.
Having said that, we have come from behind to win on a few occasions already this season.
Having said THAT, it was against lesser teams that couldn't handle us.
It seems like the fact we have only won one against the top six and had a similarly poor return last season has drained the belief that we can do it against the better teams.
Fulham last season sticks out in my mind as a possible turning point.
We gave it all that night and still came up short.

Makes you wonder if something else apart from the prince-Mcabe situation is going on behind the scenes that is affecting the players

They were fine for the first half hour though. 2nd half was like a different team.

A first this season?

Billy really looked like he had tears in his eyes when that shot of his flew over.

The nature of that defeat will have hurt the players.

A first this season?

They looked knackered

A first this season?

Totally agree. They looked a beatn side and as Wilder said like they want just get off the pitch. I think as a team we are a goog group and they all work together but I do believe we lack a real proper leader for me. Bash was trying to rally the troops but as you say they just seemed to lack any belief. Maybe it was fatigue but it looked as much mental fatigue as physical. We looked done for.

Reactions: LSF

Probably because yet again they dominated for 45 mins, didnt capitalise and got hit by a sucker punch. The same old things keep on happening and it will be getting them demoralised/frustrated, which is to be expected.

Lafferty is better than Johnson, joc hasn’t been the same since lafferty stopped getting a game

To be fair that’s coincided with us getting promoted - personally think JOC has been reigned in a little this year and told to concentrate defensively, in turn releasing Bash to play much more offensively. I think the balance is a lot better this year and we look less vulnerable to getting caught on the break.

That said I like Lafferty and for me a better player than Johnson but not near Enda’s level.

A first this season?

Good post LSF this was mentioned around our lot , they looked like well that’s it we’ve let it slip through our fingers , thought we lacked leadership & character 2nd half .. I don’t doubt CW after match team talk may possibly have been along same lines?
Very rare to say this about us in recent times

Reactions: LSF
To be fair that’s coincided with us getting promoted - personally think JOC has been reigned in a little this year and told to concentrate defensively, in turn releasing Bash to play much more offensively. I think the balance is a lot better this year and we look less vulnerable to getting caught on the break.

That said I like Lafferty and for me a better player than Johnson but not near Enda’s level.
I just think he trusted Lafferty and got into goalscoring positions ,even when Lafferty has made the odd appearance JOC looks better As for going to Brighton ,hes not up to that standard in my opinion ,he is still improving with us.

All except Hendo skulked off the pitch at the end without coming over to the Kop. Not the norm for our players.
The ground was virtually empty and very few were applauding the players off. I was the lone clapper, as far as I could see, on John Street :(

When you give 100 % and it still is’nt good enough it a can start to hurt.
The truth is we should have been 2 or 3 up after 30 minutes I think the players just thought Fuck fuck fuck! we’ve done it a fuckingeean.

Back
Top Bottom