BladesPod: Reliving the 02/03 "Triple Assault" season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Great content guys, really enjoyed it and re-living so many bits of the season.

By the way Roy, the 'wooden seats stand' is the South Stand! (or New South Stand to give it the full title...)

Great content guys, really enjoyed it and re-living so many bits of the season.

By the way Roy, the 'wooden seats stand' is the South Stand! (or New South Stand to give it the full title...)

I constantly get the name of the stands wrong. In my world they are known as

Kop: Kop

South Stand: Wooden Seats Stand

Family Stand: The Not Allowed To Buy A Ticket In Here Stand

Kop Corner Stand: Queer Corner

Westfield Corner Stand: Small Seats Stand

Bramall Lane Upper: Away End For Home Fans Stand

Another good listen guys - thanks!

On your Wayne Allison story. I would imagine that is true. I don’t know the Boston angle but from the United side, shall we say he wasn’t playing for us for the money! 😉

And Dean Windass and the play off final...the game of golf in the lead up did for him.

I constantly get the name of the stands wrong. In my world they are known as

Kop: Kop

South Stand: Wooden Seats Stand

Family Stand: The Not Allowed To Buy A Ticket In Here Stand

Kop Corner Stand: Queer Corner

Westfield Corner Stand: Small Seats Stand

Bramall Lane Upper: Away End For Home Fans Stand

Weirdo 😊

Probably my favourite year following the blades. I had just given up my season ticket (I was getting divorced and used to have two for me and my ex) but ended up going to every home game anyway. The midfield was Brown, McCall, Tonge and Ndlovu was probably the best we have had in my time. Never, really understood the stick Tonge used to get from many. He may not have lived up to his potential, but he was a key player in this and our promotion season. It seemed to me that as his body developed physically he lost a bit of pace. Certainly, it is noticeable on that vid, that as soon as he picks up the ball, he runs straight at the defence at pace.

On Poundshop Partridge this week, after apologising in the first minute for being “a bit Partridge” he has a one to one with Dean Windass, who for some reason says he’d just watched the 03 playoff final. About 9 mins in he goes into the run-up...

• golf at the Belfry, a drinking sesh and rooming with Paddy Kenny. With that intro I was expecting something big.
  • not so much, but some interesting comments from Windass. Warnock told him as he was leaving the Belfry he’d made the decision not to play him – preferring the pacier options of Kabba/Asaba – and then not to have him on the bench because he wanted a keeper on it (“Alan Kelly” said Windass). The main issue was that Warnock had wanted him to respond to media questions by answering he had a groin strain.
  • He wanted to punch Warnock at the time, but “massively respects him” – apparently called him up on the day of his first game the following season for Bradford and wished him luck (this after Windass had obviously said he no longer wanted to join us) and admitted to Windass that he made the wrong decision
  • Windass makes it clear this wasn’t a mistake that would have affected the result, but the decision not to play McCall was

Back
Top Bottom