BladesPod: Leeds 0-1 Blades review

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Beans

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

New pod is out, Blades Analytics and me talking exhaustively about that fantastic win over Leeds. Includes:

- How significant a win we think this is (05:40)
- How the game went (11:10)
- Chris Basham's impact (22:55)
- Billy Sharp's work-rate (31:01)
- Pontus' tweet (47:29)
- a look at our remaining fixtures (50:08)

Also talked about Alioski (booo), the Baldock tackle, Enda Stevens and plenty more.

Cheers for listening and UTB!

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6wLq5qaiQ123cLHHMnTixJ

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/bladespod/id1309198119?mt=2

I think this is up there with your top 3 shows you have done. A superb insight into the Leeds game. Particular about Stevens who was my MOTM . And the stats back that up. He is my player of the season now, although i think Billy might win it. A brilliant show guys well done!

Ben, you are one of the most interesting, and dare I say, important, fixtures on the forum. You, and Jay, have certainly helped me to grasp many of the technical aspects of the game that I'd taken for granted. Long may you both inform and reveal those aspects of the way we play, it's instructive and adds to my awareness of what it takes to create a successful side.

I have only one question that I hope you'll clear up, early in your blog you mentioned that Leeds hadn't had a shot on target. I quite clearly recall one of their players hitting the post - isn't that a shot on target?

Well done lads, great work from both of you UTMB!

I have only one question that I hope you'll clear up, early in your blog you mentioned that Leeds hadn't had a shot on target. I quite clearly recall one of their players hitting the post - isn't that a shot on target?

I’m sure Beans will correct if I’m wrong, but a shot against the woodwork is only on-target if it goes in, as no player had to do anything to prevent it going in. Shots that hit any part of the frame of the goal and don’t go in are considered off-target.

Very good again thanks. Nice to hear the game analysed like that as I was in an anxious state throughout, so it makes viewing objectively difficult.

What was the XG on the Norwood chance ? I didn’t think that got enough discussion, only because I handled it like it was a shocking miss at the time and not seen a replay since.

excellent, excellent, excellent.

can’t thank you both enough for your time in putting this together and sharing as you do.

Very good again thanks. Nice to hear the game analysed like that as I was in an anxious state throughout, so it makes viewing objectively difficult.

What was the XG on the Norwood chance ? I didn’t think that got enough discussion, only because I handled it like it was a shocking miss at the time and not seen a replay since.

Not much at all - 0.05 apparently! Left foot (I think?), twenty yards, first time = don’t get scored very often at all. Like you I thought it was a really good chance in real time! But in reality you rarely see those whizz in.

And itsinyerblood - thanks for your kind words! - LoughboroBlade is spot on - shot on target is a shot that’s saved / scored. The “target” is scoring a goal, after all :)

Not much at all - 0.05 apparently! Left foot (I think?), twenty yards, first time = don’t get scored very often at all. Like you I thought it was a really good chance in real time! But in reality you rarely see those whizz in.

And itsinyerblood - thanks for your kind words! - LoughboroBlade is spot on - shot on target is a shot that’s saved / scored. The “target” is scoring a goal, after all :)

Hi Ben, no need to thank me, informative and enjoyable mate, so well done both of you.

As for your reply, you're saying that 'on target' refers to a save or goal being scored? From memory I recall this referring to the number of attacks a side has that results in a shot, or header, being placed accurately within the posts and bar, add to which, seasoned commentators referring to a shot that hits the bar as being 'on target'. I can almost feel you sigh as you begin your answer with a weary description of what 'on target' actually means. The posts and bar surely act as a part of a team's defensive armoury.........please be kind to an old geezer when you reply ;)

I take a lot out of these podcasts ,a lot more than what pundits, other fans and even the general consensus of our own fan base thinks

Your analysis wether based on stats or just opinion has been much more informative than anything else I've seen about the blades and quite often tells a different story from the general perception in a very reassuring way

So far you've usually been very good at seeing patterns or trends that tend to play out in other teams as well.as our own .
glad it's become a regular thing ,I can't get enough

Hi Ben, no need to thank me, informative and enjoyable mate, so well done both of you.

As for your reply, you're saying that 'on target' refers to a save or goal being scored? From memory I recall this referring to the number of attacks a side has that results in a shot, or header, being placed accurately within the posts and bar, add to which, seasoned commentators referring to a shot that hits the bar as being 'on target'. I can almost feel you sigh as you begin your answer with a weary description of what 'on target' actually means. The posts and bar surely act as a part of a team's defensive armoury.........please be kind to an old geezer when you reply ;)

Yep as you’ve said there - A shot on target is a shot that’s either a goal or a save :) Or if you prefer, “a shot that the goalkeeper needed to save to prevent a goal”. if it hits the post or bar it’s off target - nobody’s aiming for those bits after all ;) I don’t doubt you’ve heard seasoned commentators say that though...

Bit of an aside but I think every stat source counts a blocked shot as “off target” even if some of them are clearly heading towards goal... although in this case that helps the definition, goal or save = shot on target.

Bit of an aside but I think every stat source counts a blocked shot as “off target” even if some of them are clearly heading towards goal... although in this case that helps the definition, goal or save = shot on target.

Is that every instance? I can imagine why a shot from the edge of the box blocked by a defender in between the goal line and the shot might be classed as off-target as even if the defender doesn’t get there it still needs to beat the keeper. But if say it’s a header from a corner blocked on the line by a defender that’s prevented a goal because the keeper is clearly out of reach, surely that would be deemed on-target.

Haha and from my view he was just inside the box with about 10 yards of space. It was definitely left foot I did excuse him for that. Strange how you see it during the game !

Is that every instance? I can imagine why a shot from the edge of the box blocked by a defender in between the goal line and the shot might be classed as off-target as even if the defender doesn’t get there it still needs to beat the keeper. But if say it’s a header from a corner blocked on the line by a defender that’s prevented a goal because the keeper is clearly out of reach, surely that would be deemed on-target.

Pretty sure it is - Leeds had at least a couple of clearly-goalbound shots first half that were blocked yet Opta say 0 on target.

Excellent listen as always. I was so drunk (game was 9:30pm over here and also me birthday!) that the next morning when I woke up and watched Basham’s goal back, I got all emotional and teary. Listening to you guys talk about Basham has brought a little bit of it back. What an absolute legend.

I wish this podcast was compulsory listening for all Blades. Lots for us all to consider and digest.

I don’t know if there’s a thread elsewhere about the Baldock tackle, but as you guys brought it up, hopefully it’s fair game to discuss here. I’ll preface my view with the caveat that I was especially drunk, and I haven’t seen a replay, but I remember convincing an equally drunk Leeds fan that it was nowhere near a red as he’d made sure his foot was on the floor by the time he reached the Leeds player. That is, Baldock came in at pace, with studs showing, but by the time any contact was made, his foot was planted on the floor. That’s how I saw it at the time, anyway.

Anyway, cheers as always. Genuinely look forward to, enjoy and appreciate these podcasts.

I agree with what many have said above: I've listened to every podcast you've done, and this is the best of the lot, and that's high praise as they all range from good to excellent.

The highlight was the breakdown of the ebb and flow of the game: I've been saying since the game that we were back in it after 30 minutes, and not "5 minutes before half time" as Sky said, and it is nice that someone agrees, and explains why this was the case. Of course, running out of steam is a hallmark of a Bielsa team.

I've been arguing online with someone who didn't watch the game: I've been trying to explain that it was not a lucky win and xG does not tell all. 17 shots with an average xG of 0.07 shows to me a team that had lots of possession but didn't know what to do with it or, as you say, make good shot selection. The fact that their best chance fell to a centre half playing on one leg is telling.

Speaking of Jansson, I know that confidence is important, but if there ever was an example of someone who thinks he's better than he actually is, it's him. He's a flawed player and not as good as any of our 3 centre backs.

As for Alioski, that's the fourth time I've seen him play against us, and that's his fourth poor game. may be small sample size but I think he's vastly overrated.

The target is the area within the framework known as the goal. There is plenty of room, 192 square feet. On a related topic there is nothing ‘unlucky’ about hitting the post or ‘fortunate’ when the other team does. The goals don’t move whilst the ball is in mid-air.

I actually listened to this one again today as I missed So much first time round

Excellent as ever!

I thought your point that for once, an international break after a hectic spell, might actually help, was very well made.

I'm not on twatter so the deleted Pontus Jansen 'big game' bollocks was very funny.

Well done lads, but please keep you feet on the ground. Don't copy that lazy git Roygbiv and start taking holidays etc or we will have to send Big Vern round.

Ahhhh, timed that perfectly. Just came down from the high of the win and got it all back.

Don't ever stop these pods.

Really good ep, lots of good detail that I think a lot of us might have missed, and a very fair assessment on the possible Baldock red. Also, the restraint shown in considering adjectives for Alioski was quite admirable.

Back
Top Bottom