BladesPod: Back to winning ways at Norwich | Villa Preview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Beans

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

A much more enjoyable conversation this week after a win for the Blades - Roygbiv and I discuss the rapid development of star man George Baldock, a huge moment from Dean Henderson, the different directions Norwich and ourselves seem to be heading in, more VAR fun and games, and preview next weekend's game with Aston Villa.

Cheers very much for listening, particularly if you forced yourself through the Newcastle one!

Apple Podcasts: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/bladespod/id1309198119?mt=2

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6wLq5qaiQ123cLHHMnTixJ

Good listen again.

Basham was told to wait with the fourth official, it’s weird as I said to the bloke behind me “he’ll never get overruled here”. It was a subjective call and really shouldn’t have been reviewed in all honesty. Would have had little complaint with a red.

I can here more ‘Sheffield’ dropping into Bens speech every week as well.

Regards the Basham challenge it was more yellow than red
but I’m not sure it was a clear out and out mistake by the ref.
it was more a judgemental error and I didn’t think VAR would get too involved in judgemental stuff.

Surprised it was overturned.....not sure where VAR are setting the bar these days.
Initially they were hardly overturning anything.....people complained
now VAR is looking to overturn anything and everything....again people are complaining.

Regards the Basham challenge it was more yellow than red
but I’m not sure it was a clear out and out mistake by the ref.
it was more a judgemental error and I didn’t think VAR would get too involved in judgemental stuff.

Surprised it was overturned.....not sure where VAR are setting the bar these days.
Initially they were hardly overturning anything.....people complained
now VAR is looking to overturn anything and everything....again people are complaining.

The challenge looked a lot worse from the side on angle, which was a similar view to what the ref had. When you saw it from a camera pointing down the pitch it was clear it wasn’t a red. VAR got it right.

The challenge looked a lot worse from the side on angle, which was a similar view to what the ref had. When you saw it from a camera pointing down the pitch it was clear it wasn’t a red. VAR got it right.

Was it clear, though? I’ve watched it loads of times from several angles and to me it looks like an orange card—you could see it being a yellow but you wouldn’t be amazed if it was red. Certainly not obvious enough to overrule it, for me. Not complaining, of course!

cheers again , as always a cracking pod

nail hit firmly on the head regards referees /linemen, just admit and say sorry when you have clearly made a mistake and you will be respected far far more

i am preparing for a wild didsy scoring celebration this weekend ! i can feel his time has come!

Always love the pod...although I admit it took me a bit longer to get round to listening to the Newcastle pod.
Have you abandoned the idea of separately interviewing fans of other clubs just before we play them? Or just not enough sane ones around? 😜😂

Keep up the good work guys. You’re part of this amazing time to be a Blade.

Afternoon all,

A much more enjoyable conversation this week after a win for the Blades - Roygbiv and I discuss the rapid development of star man George Baldock, a huge moment from Dean Henderson, the different directions Norwich and ourselves seem to be heading in, more VAR fun and games, and preview next weekend's game with Aston Villa.

Cheers very much for listening, particularly if you forced yourself through the Newcastle one!

Apple Podcasts: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/bladespod/id1309198119?mt=2

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6wLq5qaiQ123cLHHMnTixJ

Can you enable it for download please Ben, I tend to listen to them offline

Regarding the “throw-in routine”, opposition players can stand 2 metres away from the thrower. So not reason at all why the thrower can’t be fairly closely marked to prevent it.

I keep saying I don’t know why we and other teams don’t do this as a matter of course anyway to prevent possession being easily retained by a quick return pass to an unmarked player. Just mark the thrower from 6 feet away and prevent it.

I remember a game against Leeds circa 1990 where Howard Wilkinson’s Leeds had a man stand right up to the touch line to try and inhibit our long throws. So either the rules have been changed since then or Leeds were cheating?

Just listened and I thought it was excellent.

You two lads are developing a great rapport and that comes over in the chat. The bit at the end about Billy's sock, George's goal and Roygbiv 's forthcoming view from the Villa, was great banter and it was obvious how well you get on.

Keep them coming!

Didn't find a match thread, but looking forward to this. You guys have impressed me a lot this season.

Beans What was with the music played over your VAR rant on the Villa pod? Thought that was very disrespectful. You realise what a great job you and Roy are doing when you listen to other fan's attempts.

Beans What was with the music played over your VAR rant on the Villa pod? Thought that was very disrespectful. You realise what a great job you and Roy are doing when you listen to other fan's attempts.

Haha not sure, I'm guessing just a mistake 😄 Probably his previous podcast ended at around that time, so he still had the outro music in that spot on a different track... I say this as someone who has DEFINITELY NEVER MADE THIS MISTAKE AND ONLY JUST REALISED BEFORE PUBLISHING.

Regarding the “throw-in routine”, opposition players can stand 2 metres away from the thrower. So not reason at all why the thrower can’t be fairly closely marked to prevent it.

I keep saying I don’t know why we and other teams don’t do this as a matter of course anyway to prevent possession being easily retained by a quick return pass to an unmarked player. Just mark the thrower from 6 feet away and prevent it.

I remember a game against Leeds circa 1990 where Howard Wilkinson’s Leeds had a man stand right up to the touch line to try and inhibit our long throws. So either the rules have been changed since then or Leeds were cheating?

I've said it before, it's one of those things that I was taught from an early age in football, make sure that the only option from a throw-in is a hopeful throw down the line in the air. There really is no excuse for any players of any team receiving the ball to feet from a throw-in.

Ched used to be brilliant at making a yard and receiving a throw-in to feet, we have 2 or 3 in the current team who make space and manage. If I was the opposition manager I would be going spare at this happening.

Back
Top Bottom