Blades v Man Utd from 1992 on TV

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We're on holiday and had VirginMedia installed a few weeks ago. Just used the app to remotely set the TiVo to record. Fingers crossed it works!

Fantastic - sky box set to record. My first game as a season ticket holder - 13 years old in the old family enclosure, G block South Stand. Thought it'd be like that every week...

Was supposed still to be on holiday in France for that match. Managed to convince my parents to cut it short by a day so we could attend. Oddly enough, met a bit more resistance from my mum than my dad!

The BBC are currently recapping all the opening day fixtures of the 1st PL season. I think there might be a Blade on the staff somewhere....

Horne saves the day for Toffees
15 August 1992: Everton 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Posted at 13:17
For those of you who are astonished easily, yes, Sheffield Wednesday used to play in the Premier League.

And Nigel Pearson - him of "ostrich" fame and management - scored the opener for the Owls, after a mistake by Neville "Big Nev" Southall, before Wales stalwart Barry Horne smashed in the equaliser.

The Owls were wearing a horrendous yellow with black stripes kit.

Watching it now, Deano just scored, interesting how our style was so different then, as soon as we win the ball we go forward with it quickly, John Gannon especially, makes for an exciting game with lots of box action and efforts on goal.

Watching it now, Deano just scored, interesting how our style was so different then, as soon as we win the ball we go forward with it quickly, John Gannon especially, makes for an exciting game with lots of box action and efforts on goal.
Gah! Don't spoil it for those of us who haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

loving watching this, as I had only just turned 2 when this took place, interesting to see how the ground has developed in 25 yrs, but watching it, i can see similarities from this dave Bassett team to current Wilder team, in the team spirit also how they battle & attack. which is no bad thing considering how well that team fought against odds so many times in what they achieved. The tolerance to tackling has certainly decreased because in the 1st half when Tracey took Giggs out in the box, my 1st thought was penalty which now it would've been certainty, then nothing

but it always amazes me when you think the 13 players in the man utd matchday squad 8 of them later went on to be a manager somewhere, Bruce D Ferguson Hughes Kanchlecis Giggs Phelan Ince, either Pallister/Blackmore

Was Whitehouse injured then?

As part of the BBC marking 25 years of the Premier League. Full match starts at 2.55pm on the red button or online. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40916652

Watching it now . Coming to the closing stages.

Things that strike me: we are not intimidated by them and defensively we are very well organised. Manchester United do not have much of a clue how to break us down. Their goal was pure route one football and was more down to an individual defensive error than anything creative by them. We actually look quite comfortable and that we could absorb anything they throw at us all day long.

Oh, and Dion Dublin is in a time warp and looks the same age then as he does now.

Last edited:
Whitehouse could have potentially still have been playing during our latest Premiership season. Madness.

Is it just me or did that look like a modern day Championship game?

I've watched it, it was a great trip down memory lane although watching it again has proved to me that the memories are a lot kinder than the reality.

The football, although it was successful could be best described as agricultural, and there should have least been a couple of more penalties, a few more yellow cards and at least a couple of reds, and there would have been had it been played in today's day and age.

Having said that, we looked very well drilled organised, the set pieces looked well rehearsed and we didn't give Man Utd the time and space they needed to exploit our weakness and it is worth remembering that even then the club didn't have a pot to piss in.

It feels strange watching it again. I was at that game at the age of 14, and I'm now 39, and in many ways it doesn't feel like it was 25 years ago

Very little football played. Brian Deane taking them all on. That was the era...

Back
Top Bottom