Blades v Man Utd from 1992 on TV

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

oldblade

Reaction score
As part of the BBC marking 25 years of the Premier League. Full match starts at 2.55pm on the red button or online. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40916652

Watching it now . Coming to the closing stages.

Things that strike me: we are not intimidated by them and defensively we are very well organised. Manchester United do not have much of a clue how to break us down. Their goal was pure route one football and was more down to an individual defensive error than anything creative by them. We actually look quite comfortable and that we could absorb anything they throw at us all day long.

Oh, and Dion Dublin is in a time warp and looks the same age then as he does now.

Last edited:

Nade

Reaction score
Whitehouse could have potentially still have been playing during our latest Premiership season. Madness.

Blade1771

Reaction score
I've watched it, it was a great trip down memory lane although watching it again has proved to me that the memories are a lot kinder than the reality.

The football, although it was successful could be best described as agricultural, and there should have least been a couple of more penalties, a few more yellow cards and at least a couple of reds, and there would have been had it been played in today's day and age.

Having said that, we looked very well drilled organised, the set pieces looked well rehearsed and we didn't give Man Utd the time and space they needed to exploit our weakness and it is worth remembering that even then the club didn't have a pot to piss in.

It feels strange watching it again. I was at that game at the age of 14, and I'm now 39, and in many ways it doesn't feel like it was 25 years ago

JohnDenver

¡No Pasarán!
Reaction score
Very little football played. Brian Deane taking them all on. That was the era...

sheff_blade90

Reaction score
was thinking 25 yrs of premier league, i was too young as i mentioned above was just turned 2 when deano scored the 1st premier league go. so was curious at what people thought in 1992, to the people who were around for the 1st game & probally months of build up before if you can remember :D

when we broke away from the 1st division to participate in new premier league. what did you think at the time to this new premier league. were you glad of the change, was it much needed or did you want to stick with 103 year history of 1st division being the top tier of English football

BushBlade

Foul mouthed gobshite.
Reaction score
Next time you hear a Man U fan twatting on about Mourinho using Fellaini as a blunt instrument, show them the footage of their goal against us, and Dion Dublin coming on as a sub.

BushBlade

Foul mouthed gobshite.
Reaction score
was thinking 25 yrs of premier league, i was too young as i mentioned above was just turned 2 when deano scored the 1st premier league go. so was curious at what people thought in 1992, to the people who were around for the 1st game & probally months of build up before if you can remember :D

when we broke away from the 1st division to participate in new premier league. what did you think at the time to this new premier league. were you glad of the change, was it much needed or did you want to stick with 103 year history of 1st division being the top tier of English football
Didn't seem that important really. Just a bit of re-branding and a bit of money going into the game. There was talk about it being 'game changing' or whatever cliche we used in those days but I don't think anyone expected it to be like it is now, a virtual closed shop for all but the wealthiest and the most fortunate.

Hodgyman

Reaction score
Beesley captained the side alongside the on-loan McLeary due to Brian Gayle being suspended – not because he was sent off at the end of the previous season, but because he was sent off for head-butting a Forfar player in a pre-season friendly.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was struggling to remember who was our No 6 was that day. Alan McLeary, loaned from Millwall (I think). At first I thought that it was Nielson from his looks and mop of blond hair.

I also was surprised how "chunky" Mike Lake looked too.. I do remember him quite well, particularly for scoring an absolute screamer against Forest at their place.
Oh happy days!

georgethecat

Reaction score
Just finished watching it back. How times have changed. Both teams appeared to be equally direct and things were frantic at times. Neither team made much attempt to maintain possession in the manner that we have come to expect in recent years. As others have noted United look well organised and reasonably comfortable. The effort and commitment of the players is relentless. Fantastic memories.

LoughboroBlade

Reaction score
I also was surprised how "chunky" Mike Lake looked too.. I do remember him quite well, particularly for scoring an absolute screamer against Forest at their place.
Indeed. I don't think Lake's career in the team lasted too much longer after that. Seems he was dining out too much on that flurry of long-range efforts the previous season – and dining out too much in general...

Geordie Blade

Reaction score

The main innovation that season (rather than the name change for the league) was the new backpass rule. It seemed quite ridiculous at the time but watching pre-1992 games now, the rule has made a positive difference. We also talked a lot about how money had gone mad in the game; John Barnes was reportedly on £10,000 a week and Blackburn had paid a mind-boggling £3.6 million for Alan Shearer.

We tended to do well against Manchester United at home around then (we beat them 2-1 three times between 1991 and 1993), so we generally felt confident going into those games even though our players were far less well known that theirs. At Bramall Lane, we could give anyone a game and I don't think many opposition players enjoyed their visits. Despite our lack of budgets, I think that our keeper and centre forward were as good as any in the whole league.

That Sky advert ("Bradders, what are you doing?"):

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top Bottom