Blades v Arsenal nostalgia

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

While I went into that game very much thinking "we can do these", in fairness most of them went on to have careers at a high level:

Fabianski - Premier League keeper for the last decade
Hoyte - meh
Djourou - long international career, played at World Cups with Switzerland
Song - went on to have four years at Barcelona
Gibbs - England international, played over 100 games for Arsenal
Randall - ?
Ramsey - went on to be one of the best midfielders in the Prem
Merida - ?
Wilshere - the great hope of English football for a little while there
Bendtner - alright, bit of a joke, but he still played 100+ games for Arsenal and a regular for Denmark
Vela - decent La Liga career, now banging them in in the MLS!

I used to think our team that night was good but apart from Kenny, Naughton, Quinn and Beattie, I don't think any of them played above the Championship again.

Sheff Utd: Kenny, Halford, Morgan, Kilgallon, Naysmith, Cotterill (Naughton 46), Speed (Hendrie 73), Quinn, Montgomery, Beattie (Robertson 76), Webber.
Subs Not Used: Bennett, Sharp, Geary, Ehiogu.

Jordan Robertson is a good one for the "Blades you forgot ever played for us" thread.

Their 4th goal always sticks in the memory, a lovely dinked finish.

Randall ended up playing for Rovrum & Chessy and currently plays for Larne in Northern Ireland. As is Graham Kelly & Martin Donnelly, both ex of BDTBL.

Fran Merida is playing for Osasuna in La Liga.

Just broke the MLS scoring record. Not a world beater but a decent career

I think I on the way home put Vela into my fantasy football league team thinking he was definitely going to be an inspired bargain. He didn’t last long...

Sheffield United v Arsenal FA Cup - Glynn Hodges scoring one of the best goals ever in front of the MOTD cameras. One of the best matches my Grandad and I ever attended superb win played them off the park.

I remember at Highbury they made a presentation to Alan Smith for scoring 100 goals for them, Ian Wright had just signed and they were singing "your next Wrighty". I think we drew 1-1 in front of the painted home end. Can't have been many cup ties where the home game and the replay where played in three sided grounds come to think of it.

Sept 4th 1973. I was in my 2nd week at boarding school. I didnt get to know the score until after breakfast in the next day. The rule was that I should go back to my dormitory to make my bed and clean my teeth before going to my classroom but I couldnt wait to find out the score as I went straight to a classroom (my classroom had the Daily Mail but I preferred the football coverage in the Express) to look at the scores on the back page of the Daily Express and I was gobsmacked to discover that we had beaten Arsenal 5-0 and I was looking at the photo of Jim Bone scoring the 4th. I regretted passing my exams to get scholarship at that school! I wasnt aware about TC sitting on the ball until I received the match report from my dad a few days later!

View attachment 62818

View attachment 62819

View attachment 62820

View attachment 62821

View attachment 62822

View attachment 62823

Only Silent Blade could get away with a post about brushing your teeth at boarding school.

We love you mate.

We really do.

UTB

February 1959 - a 2-2 draw at Highbury in the FA Cup .

A terrific Blades performance in which Arsenal were clearly surprised by the way we attacked them right from the start , coupled with a great performance by Hodgy in the second half .

I was just 18 and remember getting pissed for the first time after the match , to the extent that I had to be dragged half way across London by the two mates I had gone with to get the train home .

The replay was a midweek night match in probably the worst fog I've ever seen football played in and we thrashed them 3-0 , which inevitably included a goal from the noble Doctor Pace , the Billy Sharp of his time ;)

Someone said on here some time ago that it was naff to use the phrase 'Happy Days '. Whoever it was clearly wasn't around in the late 50's / early 60's which was a truly wonderful time to be both a young bloke and a Blades fan . OK , we might not have had the greatest of success but we were always good to watch and were capable
of some outstanding performances .

Happy Days .

The 6-0 aside we have a pretty decent record against them over the last 25 years or so. Random memories:

• Dane Whitehouse scoring what in my memory were very similar goals against them with close range volleys from right wing crosses. 1 in a draw at home, 1 in the cup away (maybe the Overmars game?)
  • Aforementioned 1-0 win against them in the early days of Kandall's tenure in the cup, as well as I'd seen us play pretty much ever. Cowans and Paterson immense in midfield, Veart send the 3 sided ground crazy wiht a diving header, Seaman made another wonder save at the end to keep our nerves jangling. I passed my driving test tht week as well, and the nationallottery started. I was convinced that good luck came in 3s and I'd win the jackpot! Fuck all.

The Whitehouse goal was in the original tie for the replay where Veart scored.

• Last minute Andy Gray penalty equaliser approx 2003 in FA Cup away. Monty playing like Kante in the replay, drew 0-0, John Harley could have won it in the last second. Paddy Kenny crippled in net for the shoot out meaning Arsenal had a 99.9999% chance of scoring, which they did and won.

This was 2005.

August 1971 when we went top of the league with a 1-0 night game win at Highbury
My favourite ever team
Remember that match and our coach getting windows smashed by Arsenal yobs who ran into an Underground station as soon as they had done the damage. It was a long cold trip back home but the win was great.

6 October 1981. League Cup Round 2 Blades in Division 4, Arsenal riding high in Div one. Big hoof up the pitch Bob Hatton running onto it, slotting it past Pat Jennings. 1-0 Blades. Second leg travelled down from Birmingham, arrived at Highbury mid afternoon. Watched the Blades go through those famous Highbury doors. Held them to 1-0 but then they scored again in extra time to knock us out. Loved that team and Trenton Wiggan made a rare appearance as sub that night!

The game that never was with THAT goal from the throw in that should have been returned to us. Wenger “generously” offering to replay - at Highbury when if the “goal” hadn’t have been scored it would have been at the Lane. Blades lads threatening everything outside the ground - it was a tasty atmosphere. The bloke on the train hearing a rumour of the replay and swearing he’d show his arse on the Town hall steps if it happened! (Wonder if he ever did?). The disappointing replay the following week. Cursing what might have been

The Malcolm Macdonald Cup game when they battered us and he scored a hat trick

The Carl Veart goal

THAT save from Seaman.

Last edited:
August 1971 when we went top of the league with a 1-0 night game win at Highbury
My favourite ever team
Sport, Football, English League Division One, London, England, 24th August 1971, Arsenal 0 v Sheffield United 1, Arsenal's George Graham (centre) is outjumped by Sheffield United's Trevor Hockey (6) and Eddie Colquhoun (5) during the match at Highbury : News Photo

Sport, Football, English League Division One, London, England, 24th August 1971, Arsenal 0 v Sheffield United 1, Arsenal's John Radford shoots wide of Sheffield United goalkeeper John Hope and the goal during the match at Highbury : News Photo

March 31st 1975. Diabolical ref allowed Arsenal to kick us (especially TC) black and blue. My dad swore at the ref in front of my mum and sister (who rarely go to matches) also Arsenal fans. Furphy was very critical of the ref in his post match comments

Arsenal 1 Sheffield Utd 0 in March 1975 at Highbury. Action from the Division 1 clash.

So many questions to the FA Cup semi video on the link:

If Pesch hadn't headed it, was already going in from the first effort?
Great save and without doubt the best i've seen and ever will see live but how much of the goal did he have to aim at away from the keeper(maybe too critical there).
What on earth was Jags doing with the final effort? Bit of composure man.

December 2006, between Xmas and New Year. Jags in goal. 10 men. Awesome.
Same result would suit me, and we're better now than we were then they aren't as good.
]
Earlier that day I brought my daughter home for the first time. Wife was upstairs in bed having needed a blood transfusion she was knackered and Millie was just 4 days old. I lay on the settee with my little one on my chest watching the match and showed amazing restraint as the ball was passing over the 6 yard box with nothing stopping it from going in. What a night.

While I went into that game very much thinking "we can do these", in fairness most of them went on to have careers at a high level:

Fabianski - Premier League keeper for the last decade
Hoyte - meh
Djourou - long international career, played at World Cups with Switzerland
Song - went on to have four years at Barcelona
Gibbs - England international, played over 100 games for Arsenal
Randall - ?
Ramsey - went on to be one of the best midfielders in the Prem
Merida - ?
Wilshere - the great hope of English football for a little while there
Bendtner - alright, bit of a joke, but he still played 100+ games for Arsenal and a regular for Denmark
Vela - decent La Liga career, now banging them in in the MLS!

I used to think our team that night was good but apart from Kenny, Naughton, Quinn and Beattie, I don't think any of them played above the Championship again.

Sheff Utd: Kenny, Halford, Morgan, Kilgallon, Naysmith, Cotterill (Naughton 46), Speed (Hendrie 73), Quinn, Montgomery, Beattie (Robertson 76), Webber.
Subs Not Used: Bennett, Sharp, Geary, Ehiogu.

Jordan Robertson is a good one for the "Blades you forgot ever played for us" thread.
Jordan Robertson.
Jailed for his switching tunes on his device while the car smashed into the Somali national basketball coach, killing him.

That photo reminds me of a question I used to ask myself - who are the people who chose to watch matches from over by the cricket pavilion, and why did they do it? Talk about a lack of atmosphere...

I just saw this comment so thought I should own up and say, "I was one of the people who chose to watch matches from the cricket pavilion" - and explain why I did it.

First of all, some context: Like many (if not most) others - we didn't enter the ground and go park up in the pavilion for the entire game. It was common back then to swap ends at half-time, to be behind whichever goal United were kicking into. As far as I recall, you couldn't walk around the ground on the John Street side (if you could then you'd have had to walk through thousands of fans and that wouldn't have been easy). However, the Cherry Street side was wide open and easy to get from the kop to Bramall lane and back again.

The pavilion of course, marked the half-way point between the two ends. So fans would wander around that Cherry Street side of the ground and commonly stop at the half-way point in order to gain a vantage point on the match. In some ways, the reason why it was popular to do that might not be a million miles away from why some folks visit Greenwich Village in London and straddle the international time line. From the cricket pavilion you were equidistant from both ends. You had a view of the ground that you never saw from any other part of the ground. All three sides were in view. And what a vista it was. However, few folks stayed there for the entire match. We might hang around for 5 or 10 minutes, or until a break in play, but usually we'd be heading for one end or the other.

I can recall an exception to this for myself. I arrived late for a night match (when I say "late" I mean "really late" - I think we were into the 2nd half). The prospect of jostling my way through the crowd to try and find a spot where I could see something wasn't great. So I headed over to the cricket pavilion. I think there was only about 30 minutes of the game remaining, so I stayed there. I suspect a few folk maybe chose to stand there for easy egress from the game as well. Be first back to the pub afterwards, y'know, that kind of thing.

Memories of the cricket pavilion are fairly vague for me as I never went to watch cricket there. But I do remember it being a grand old structure and it smelled of wood - a bit like the smell you get in a church. I'm no sentimentalist though and I think the club had to decide, "are we a football club/football business or something else?". And it was the right decision to make Bramall lane the home of football. However, it's a pity they couldn't have dismantled the old cricket pavilion and re-erected it somewhere else in Sheffield as I'm sure it has a special place in the hearts and memories of many.

It was, as you say, too far from the pitch to really enjoy the game and of course there was no atmosphere in there - but little did we know back then that this would be the blue print for West Ham's new stadium! ;)

I just saw this comment so thought I should own up and say, "I was one of the people who chose to watch matches from the cricket pavilion" - and explain why I did it.

First of all, some context: Like many (if not most) others - we didn't enter the ground and go park up in the pavilion for the entire game. It was common back then to swap ends at half-time, to be behind whichever goal United were kicking into. As far as I recall, you couldn't walk around the ground on the John Street side (if you could then you'd have had to walk through thousands of fans and that wouldn't have been easy). However, the Cherry Street side was wide open and easy to get from the kop to Bramall lane and back again.

The pavilion of course, marked the half-way point between the two ends. So fans would wander around that Cherry Street side of the ground and commonly stop at the half-way point in order to gain a vantage point on the match. In some ways, the reason why it was popular to do that might not be a million miles away from why some folks visit Greenwich Village in London and straddle the international time line. From the cricket pavilion you were equidistant from both ends. You had a view of the ground that you never saw from any other part of the ground. All three sides were in view. And what a vista it was. However, few folks stayed there for the entire match. We might hang around for 5 or 10 minutes, or until a break in play, but usually we'd be heading for one end or the other.

I can recall an exception to this for myself. I arrived late for a night match (when I say "late" I mean "really late" - I think we were into the 2nd half). The prospect of jostling my way through the crowd to try and find a spot where I could see something wasn't great. So I headed over to the cricket pavilion. I think there was only about 30 minutes of the game remaining, so I stayed there. I suspect a few folk maybe chose to stand there for easy egress from the game as well. Be first back to the pub afterwards, y'know, that kind of thing.

Memories of the cricket pavilion are fairly vague for me as I never went to watch cricket there. But I do remember it being a grand old structure and it smelled of wood - a bit like the smell you get in a church. I'm no sentimentalist though and I think the club had to decide, "are we a football club/football business or something else?". And it was the right decision to make Bramall lane the home of football. However, it's a pity they couldn't have dismantled the old cricket pavilion and re-erected it somewhere else in Sheffield as I'm sure it has a special place in the hearts and memories of many.

It was, as you say, too far from the pitch to really enjoy the game and of course there was no atmosphere in there - but little did we know back then that this would be the blue print for West Ham's new stadium! ;)
Makes perfect sense. I always went on the Kop, and moved round to the Lane end for the second half if we kicked the 'wrong way'.
Can we sue West Ham for copyright infringement?

Back
Top Bottom