Blades v Arsenal nostalgia

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Overmars goal - afterwards Wenger offered a replay, but for some reason, this was also played at Highbury.

To misquote Alias Smith and Jones, “that’s a fucking good deal?”

I like that article. It skirts over the 6-0 loss to Arsenal under 12s.

Carlos Vela looked like a world beater that night. You could have well imagined him turning out for Real Madrid or Barcelona at some point in his career. Strange old game.

73/74 Blades 5 Gunners 0. Best I have ever seen United. 4-0 up after 12 minutes. Currie sitting on the ball, getting back at Alan Ball, who'd done it to us, when they had beaten us 5-0. Tony was just winding him up. Ball charged at him, Currie got up, sidestepped him and hit a 40 yard pass. Not sure if that was also the game when Trevor Hockey
got Alan Ball sent off. Remember all the crowd cheering as he came off.

Carlos Vela looked like a world beater that night. You could have well imagined him turning out for Real Madrid or Barcelona at some point in his career. Strange old game.

While I went into that game very much thinking "we can do these", in fairness most of them went on to have careers at a high level:

Fabianski - Premier League keeper for the last decade
Hoyte - meh
Djourou - long international career, played at World Cups with Switzerland
Song - went on to have four years at Barcelona
Gibbs - England international, played over 100 games for Arsenal
Randall - ?
Ramsey - went on to be one of the best midfielders in the Prem
Merida - ?
Wilshere - the great hope of English football for a little while there
Bendtner - alright, bit of a joke, but he still played 100+ games for Arsenal and a regular for Denmark
Vela - decent La Liga career, now banging them in in the MLS!

I used to think our team that night was good but apart from Kenny, Naughton, Quinn and Beattie, I don't think any of them played above the Championship again.

Sheff Utd: Kenny, Halford, Morgan, Kilgallon, Naysmith, Cotterill (Naughton 46), Speed (Hendrie 73), Quinn, Montgomery, Beattie (Robertson 76), Webber.
Subs Not Used: Bennett, Sharp, Geary, Ehiogu.

Jordan Robertson is a good one for the "Blades you forgot ever played for us" thread.

Remember a couple of games in the late 60's early 70's, both at Highbury.

One when we scored first and last, trouble was they scored 6 in between.
Another when Jim Bone made his debut.

I remember us winning Arsenal 1-0 with a goal from carl veart about 1996 in the FA cup , a night match if i remember correctly , what a night !

I was on holiday in Australia at time and in those innocent, pre-internet days I remember rushing to get the next day's paper to find out the score. I turned to the back pages and scoured through the Sport section. Nothing. I went through it again. Still nothing. I must have missed it. I wasn't expecting a match report or anything, just the scoreline somewhere in the small print listings. But no, nothing. No surprise really, I wouldn't have expected to find the Aussie Rules results in an English paper, so why would they bother with football results on the other side of the world?

Hacked off, I threw the paper down. It landed with front page up. And then I noticed Carl Veart, an Australian, scoring the winner was the main story on the front page.

The 6-0 aside we have a pretty decent record against them over the last 25 years or so. Random memories:

• Their championship winning side beating us 2-0, Kevin Campbell and Alan Smith, but we played pretty well.
  • Dane Whitehouse scoring what in my memory were very similar goals against them with close range volleys from right wing crosses. 1 in a draw at home, 1 in the cup away (maybe the Overmars game?)
  • Bobby Davison scoring in a 1-1 draw that we should have won
  • Last minute Andy Gray penalty equaliser approx 2003 in FA Cup away. Monty playing like Kante in the replay, drew 0-0, John Harley could have won it in the last second. Paddy Kenny crippled in net for the shoot out meaning Arsenal had a 99.9999% chance of scoring, which they did and won.
  • Nade!! Brilliant winner, epic performance, Jags in net.
  • FAC Semi at OT. Brilliant performance, lost out to a really poxy goal with an assist by the ref in the build up. Seaman wonder save, left the ground proud as punch but gutted as hell.
  • Aforementioned 1-0 win against them in the early days of Kandall's tenure in the cup, as well as I'd seen us play pretty much ever. Cowans and Paterson immense in midfield, Veart send the 3 sided ground crazy wiht a diving header, Seaman made another wonder save at the end to keep our nerves jangling. I passed my driving test that week as well, and the nationallottery started. I was convinced that good luck came in 3s and I'd win the jackpot! Fuck all.

Sept 4th 1973. I was in my 2nd week at boarding school. I didnt get to know the score until after breakfast in the next day. The rule was that I should go back to my dormitory to make my bed and clean my teeth before going to my classroom but I couldnt wait to find out the score as I went straight to a classroom (my classroom had the Daily Mail but I preferred the football coverage in the Express) to look at the scores on the back page of the Daily Express and I was gobsmacked to discover that we had beaten Arsenal 5-0 and I was looking at the photo of Jim Bone scoring the 4th. I regretted passing my exams to get scholarship at that school! I wasnt aware about TC sitting on the ball until I received the match report from my dad a few days later!

1571329856757.png

1571329892370.png

1571329926195.png

1571329974305.png

1571330016161.png

1571330049811.png

October 1972. We won with a Dearden goal. We cheered loudly when Ball got sent off and he responded with a sarcastic slow handclap towards the crowd

I remember that one, you could lip read Ball spelling his name to the ref :)

While I went into that game very much thinking "we can do these", in fairness most of them went on to have careers at a high level:

Hoyte - meh
Randall - ?
Merida - ?
Bendtner - alright, bit of a joke, but he still played 100+ games for Arsenal and a regular for Denmark

I used to think our team that night was good but apart from Kenny, Naughton, Quinn and Beattie, I don't think any of them played above the Championship again.

Sheff Utd: Kenny, Halford, Morgan, Kilgallon, Naysmith, Cotterill (Naughton 46), Speed (Hendrie 73), Quinn, Montgomery, Beattie (Robertson 76), Webber.

Jordan Robertson is a good one for the "Blades you forgot ever played for us" thread.

It was a miserable game to be at certainly, and my only visit to the Emirates for United. Like you I thought this was an excellent opportunity for us to get a result, having barely heard of any of the XI starting for Arsenal – a view dispatched by half-time. I guess the one positive from it was the larger chunk of minutes that Naughton got in the 2nd half, having only really had the odd 5-10 mins here and there. He made his full debut for us in the next game.

It’s funny to think that a club playing a team of almost complete reserves can dispatch a lower league team with absolute ease. We seem to be incapable of such a thing even when the difference between the clubs is even greater that it was that night.

It was a miserable game to be at certainly, and my only visit to the Emirates for United. Like you I thought this was an excellent opportunity for us to get a result, having barely heard of any of the XI starting for Arsenal – a view dispatched by half-time. I guess the one positive from it was the larger chunk of minutes that Naughton got in the 2nd half, having only really had the odd 5-10 mins here and there. He made his full debut for us in the next game.

It’s funny to think that a club playing a team of almost complete reserves can dispatch a lower league team with absolute ease. We seem to be incapable of such a thing even when the difference between the clubs is even greater that it was that night.
I was there’s that night also. Like you quietly optimistic and the first 25 mins or so we were okay without really causing them any problems. After that the least said the better other then I was already back on the M1 with some of the match still to play.

Also in the league cup I just about remember the 1981 game where bob Hatton scored in front of the kop to give us a 1 0 lead to take into the 2nd leg. Sadly they did us 2 0 aet. Hope I’ve got that right. In my defence I was only 10 years old at the time but certainly have memories of being stood on the open clock end with thousands of other blades that night

Hoyte - meh
Randall - ?
Merida - ?

I'm sure I read somewhere that Bendtner has pretty much the same PL record as Marcus Rashford has now goals/appearance wise so maybe that derision was a function of expectation when you're dealing with Arsenal, their forwards over the years have been terrifying.

Just broke the MLS scoring record. Not a world beater but a decent career

Just broke the MLS scoring record. Not a world beater but a decent career

Yeah, he's done okay. I'm not demeaning him. That game though, it looked like you were watching the next "big thing" emerge. The team in general ripped us to bits, but Vela looked different class.

Yeah, he's done okay. I'm not demeaning him. That game though, it looked like you were watching the next "big thing" emerge. The team in general ripped us to bits, but Vela looked different class.

I'm pretty sure Arsenal expected him to be one who they could sell to Real or Barca after 3 years of protracted summer transfer sagas like every other good player

That night no one could have handled Nade. In all seriousness that was one hell of a display of pace and power.

sounds like he’s had all sorts of mental health issues and never really made the most of his career, but his physical raw materials were exceptional.

I'm pretty sure Arsenal expected him to be one who they could sell to Real or Barca after 3 years of protracted summer transfer sagas like every other good player

Morgan was pretty lucky not to get sent off in that game IIRC. Then it really would have been cricket scores!

Back
Top Bottom