Blades players you thought were going to be brilliant...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Richard Cadette
Steve Neville
Peter Withe
Jimmy Johnstone

Although we've had others just as bad, I didn't really expect much from most of the others.
But I really thought these would have made a difference
Still, I was young at the time

Not read this thread, so apologies if mentioned earlier, Stephen Hawes. Our youngest ever debutant.

I thought Louis Reed currently holds that honour?

By my rough calculations, Hackford has until the end of this year to beat him.

Not read all the posts, but first one that came to mind was Vincent Pericard. Main thing I remember about him is he used to sit on the bench sucking sweet lollipops. :D

I'm old enough to remember the signing of Chris Guthrie - who I'd suggest held the title of 'Biggest flop in a Blades shirt' for years. Some of that probably was attached to the size of the fee though and the level of expectation that was set - I think he may have been our first £100k signing? (Someone will correct me no doubt if I'm wrong).

Viv Busby was another one that I had hoped for big things from. I think I had him on the bubbly gum cards, so I was dead pleased when we signed him. Thought he was going to be a good 'un. But his appearance in a United shirt only served to give me life-long doubts about any parent that calls their son "Vivian". 😳

More recently, Geoff Horsfield. I have to say that whenever he played against us for Brum he was always a handful. I know he was getting on a bit when we signed him, but I thought he was going to be really good for us. For whatever reasons, he wasn't. Or rather, he wasn't given a fair chance to be good for us. Warnock will have his reasons no doubt - but he was one of a zillion strikers that Warnock seemed to collect, like I used to collect bubbly gum cards, for swaps. 🤷‍♂️

Not read all the posts, but first one that came to mind was Vincent Pericard. Main thing I remember about him is he used to sit on the bench sucking sweet lollipops. :D

I'm old enough to remember the signing of Chris Guthrie - who I'd suggest held the title of 'Biggest flop in a Blades shirt' for years. Some of that probably was attached to the size of the fee though and the level of expectation that was set - I think he may have been our first £100k signing? (Someone will correct me no doubt if I'm wrong).

Viv Busby was another one that I had hoped for big things from. I think I had him on the bubbly gum cards, so I was dead pleased when we signed him. Thought he was going to be a good 'un. But his appearance in a United shirt only served to give me life-long doubts about any parent that calls their son "Vivian". 😳

More recently, Geoff Horsfield. I have to say that whenever he played against us for Brum he was always a handful. I know he was getting on a bit when we signed him, but I thought he was going to be really good for us. For whatever reasons, he wasn't. Or rather, he wasn't given a fair chance to be good for us. Warnock will have his reasons no doubt - but he was one of a zillion strikers that Warnock seemed to collect, like I used to collect bubbly gum cards, for swaps. 🤷‍♂️
Ah yes, Chris Guthrie, born in Hexham just up the road from where I live now.
I seem to remember he scored a hat trick against Halifax Town (I was at that game. Traveling on one of the old football special trains, returning at night without any lights in the carriage as they'd been removed and used as missles!) and then went on to score just another 12 goals during his Blades career! 🤔

I'm sure Silent Blade will correct me if my memory isn't that good.

Ah yes, Chris Guthrie, born in Hexham just up the road from where I live now.
I seem to remember he scored a hat trick against Halifax Town (I was at that game. Traveling on one of the old football special trains, returning at night without any lights in the carriage as they'd been removed and used as missles!) and then went on to score just another 12 goals during his Blades career! 🤔

I'm sure Silent Blade will correct me if my memory isn't that good.
SilentBlade will be able to tell you what type of train you were on and all the calling points along the way! :D

Li Tie

Everton paid 1.2m for him in the early 2000s, and more importantly was in the Panini sticker books for the 2002 world cup

I thought Louis Reed currently holds that honour?

By my rough calculations, Hackford has until the end of this year to beat him.
You might be right. Hawes made his debut in the championship though? Reed the 3rd division, though that’s not his fault!

Michael Higdon. Watched the same youtube highlights video that apparently our scouting team singed him from, immediately lumped a bet on him being league 1 top scorer.

Not sure if he's been mentioned, but David Johnson. Scored loads the season before, with Forest. Joined us on loan the following year and did very little.

Carruthers and Baxter, saw glimmers of brilliance from both but then fizzled out

Paddy Buckley. Mick Hill was no Mick Jones either. David Staniforth.

Anyone say Alan Young yet? Steve Finnieston.

Who was that lad running down the wing at Mansfield in pre-season after David Weir had just become manager? He was shite. They were both shite.

Add Barry Hayles to that list as well.

Looked quality whenever we'd faced him for several years then NW signed him and he suddenly became absolutely turd overnight.

McBurnie, nothing like I imagined after watching him in the lower leagues.

First time I have had a look at this thread. How come after so many disappointments, we continue to long for signings to lead us to the promised land? The chances of signing the striker who gets us 15 goals this season are virtually nil; the chances of again getting the best out of the current squad (with a couple of shrewd additions to improve things) are much higher. Though I do speak as one who said after 15 minutes of Brian Deane’s home debut that he would never make a footballer... Never been happier to be proved totally wrong.

Luke Freeman.
QPR fan told me we’d got a real bargain. Skill and work rate top notch.
He never got a chance once we went longball again

I think my biggest mis step was James Harper. Final piece in the puzzle I thought. Also thought Callum Robinson would be a very good signing.

Back
Top Bottom