Blades players you thought were going to be brilliant...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

YorkBlade

Reaction score
...but weren't.

I'm having to be honest here, in hindsight this isn't easy as you don't always like to admit your glaring errors.

Jonathan Hunt - So excited when we signed him (initially on loan which arguably makes it worse), I really thought this lad was going to boss the midfield. I'd only heard good things and whenever I'd seen him play before for Birmingham he'd looked the mutts nuts. We actually swapped him with Derby County for Vas Borbokis. Some say that outside the old Baseball Ground at the dead of night you can still hear big Jim Smith pissing himself with laughter.

Martyn Woolford - I watched him at York City and he was a class above. He didn't ever look like a footballer but had so much skill and League 2 was too easy for him. He was destined (I believed) for the top. He was such a disappointment with United. Just wasn't interested. It could be argued that he was one of our worst ever signings. Whenever my 3 year old nephew misses the toilet, urinates wildly everywhere, slips in it and ends up crying I call it 'doing a Woolford'. I laugh. His mother tells me to 'shut up and get a towel'.

Jacob Mellis - I was at York City reserves vs Sheffield United reserves because girls wouldn't talk to me. The game was called off due to fog or rain or brexit (who can remember?) and I was just milling about outside the ground deciding what to do with my life when Craig Short walked past me. I did the natural thing and told him he was Craig Short and then proceeded to bother him with a collection of asinine questions. One of which was 'of all the lads I could have seen tonight, which is the best young prospect?' He proceeded to wax lyrical about Jacob Mellis. 'The best young player at the club, natural talent, really exciting kid, not too far away from the first team'. When he was sold to Chelsea I assumed he'd go on to play for England or at the very least be on Celebrity Big Brother. It wasn't to be.

There are loads more but that's three for starters.

In pretty much slap bang on 50 years of watching The Blades , I have predicted twice that one of our young players would go on to play for England..

1st attempt - Gary Brazil , early 80's . Lovely player to watch , lightweight but could glide over the ground , a bit like Brooksy, went on to have a good career.

2nd attempt - Brian Deane ( after 2 or 3 games) . How my mates laughed, still dine out on it now.

Paul Furlong was pretty bad when he came.

Pretty much all MK2 signings (i.e. Bent, Ched, Beattie etc). Hopefully Jags won’t be the same.

Paul Furlong was pretty bad when he came.

Pretty much all MK2 signings (i.e. Bent, Ched, Beattie etc). Hopefully Jags won’t be the same.

Could add Brayford to that list too.

Though i always point out it was the injury that ruined his second spell; an injury he received literally putting his body on the line for us.

Back
Top Bottom