Blades Favourite XI

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

YorkBlade

Reaction score
Could create a little debate.
On this podcast (the penultimate episode) Blades Superfan Greenwich Blade shares his Sheffield United favourite XI that he has seen with his own eyes. I cannot believe some of the legends he left out! Would welcome your teams.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEENSBihhfU

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/just-not-cricket/id1433980164?mt=2&i=1000418390329

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/justnotcricket/ep-25-the-25th-one

If you just want to hear the Blades bit it starts at: 3:26

Tracey was my favourite keeper. Kelly was more consistent and never really had any howler moments. Tracey in my opinion could pull off better saves. When Tracey was at it, he was almost unbeatable.

I’ve seen it before but doesn’t change my mind, Alan Kelly was the best keeper I’ve seen in a Blades shirt.
Unlike your narrow-minded swipe at me, I always respect anyone who thinks Kelly is better but I always felt that Tracey is the better keeper all round. Brilliant with one v ones, his handling, commanding the box and good understanding with the defence (remember the poor communications between Kelly and Nilsen?), Never lost to Wendy in a league match. His kicking was accurate and Howard Wilkinson always had a striker who would stay close to him to prevent him from kicking properly. Apart from the Blackburn and Coventry penalty shoot outs, Kelly has never saved a penalty for us. Tracey has saved 7 penalties.

Favourite, not neccesarily the best, just players I enjoyed watching for various reasons.

In many ways this could be quite easy as the current team is my favourite team in my 40+ years watching the Blades, so all current players have a decent chance of featuring. However off hand I’d choose

Burridge
Kenworthy-Stancliffe-Morgan- Borbokis
Duffy-Sabella- Brown- Roberts
Edwards - Agana

Sub
Deane, Brooks, Sharp, Bradshaw

Tracey was my favourite keeper. Kelly was more consistent and never really had any howler moments. Tracey in my opinion could pull off better saves. When Tracey was at it, he was almost unbeatable.

Agree with that Tracey did have this knack of pullling off truely spectacular saves but also capable of errors.
Kelly was just so consistent, rarely made an error and a calming influence on our defence.

Favourite, not neccesarily the best, just players I enjoyed watching for various reasons.

In many ways this could be quite easy as the current team is my favourite team in my 40+ years watching the Blades, so all current players have a decent chance of featuring. However off hand I’d choose

Burridge
Kenworthy-Stancliffe-Morgan- Borbokis
Duffy-Sabella- Brown- Roberts
Edwards - Agana

Sub
Deane, Brooks, Sharp, Bradshaw

None of my XI

Kelly
Geary, Morgan, Jags, Nilsen
McCall, Brown, Whitehouse
Sharp, Deane, Flo

Back
Top Bottom