Blades 0 Leeds 1 - report and podcast

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It reminded me a bit of the types of game we were losing in the 2nd half of 2017/18. Generally doing well in games, trying to get a win late on, but not being perfect enough at the back and being punished by a moment of quality (in this case the cross rather than a long-range effort). If we’re holding out for a draw we perhaps don’t concede – Osborn wouldn’t have been darting forward, Berge might have passed back to Baldock rather than initially look to take it on before being crowded out, Sharp might have stuck deeper in that situation rather than return forward etc. Altogether frustrating, but it did feel at the time like we might have potentially been able to nick it.

Agreed.

With the way Berge has committed three of their players (first picture) it was a shame that he wasn't able to poke it back to Baldock. A direct pass in field to Norwood and then onto Osborn could have set up a good break.

On the goal, notice how Leeds press. Reminded me of three hyenas bringing down a rhino. But could the rhino's mates do a bit more to help out?

I think it's a free kick. But maybe Sharp is blocking the ref's view. Osborn has made a forward run. Norwood is central.

View attachment 93211

Watch how Leeds have managed to spread out moments later, both wingers available in space, both strikers on the move. This is one of Bielsa's main tactics, using the width of the pitch, stretching defences. Berge has managed to get goalside, but Sharp is not filling in for the lost Osborn, and Norwood is still walking around centrally. We're not exactly hyenas.

View attachment 93213

The man on the ball finds Rodrigo, who gets it wide, in a process which takes out Basham and also gets Ampadu out of his zone. Osborn is sprinting back, while Norwood is now standing still centrally. Sharp is gone.

View attachment 93214

As the cross comes in Leeds amazingly have five targets in the box. Baldock isn't close enough to stop it coming in, Basham has just got to his feet. Both Berge and Ampadu are trying to fill in at the near post. But it's going to be a back post cross, where Robinson and Stevens are in trouble with too many players to handle. Norwood is now slow-jogging outside the box.

View attachment 93215

The cross is perfect and Bamford nods it in.

Good analysis Bergen. The last picture confirms to me that Robinsons lack of height was the reason for the goal. They targetted him on a number of occasions throughout the game but Bamford didn't capitalise on it as he's not particularly prolific in the air. The fact he admitted the ball hit his nose just confirms this and typical of our luck at the moment. A 6 foot 2 robust Egan or JOC wins that header every day of the week and explains why CW is looking for a replacement.

Having said all that Baldock should have been much closer to Harrison than he was.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 7.5/10 – Two good saves you would expect him to make first half but decent all the same. He at leas pushed these away and showed better spring. He made another second half low down. Then another couple you would expect to save also. His handling was good too. He was very slow out to come for through balls though and a number of times I shouted keeper and he eventually came but needs to be more alert. Put one cross behind under no pressure but other than a bit of hesitancy he was good today and maybe our best player – most of the save you would expect him to make but he had to make them – had way too much to do for a home keeper.

Baldock 6.5/10 – Thought Harrison gave him a really tough game and that defensively he was really given a tough game. A lot of Leeds attacks went down the right-hand side and he was not given much help from Lundstram either. He did improve and started to come the other way and had a good effort of course well saved. Got booked harshly and then I had my heart in my mouth when he caught the keeper (he needed to do more with this chance). At the end he gave Harrison way too much time and the cross led to the goal.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Thought at times he was more like his old self with some good runs forward but he also was slow to react to things defensively and gave away silly free kicks too much. He will not use his right foot at all. Three times in the first half he just waited and waited when he could have cleared. Got caught between him and Robinson for the goal but not sure he can be blamed. Another he seems to lack the aggression and pace/running we saw last season but today at least was a step in the right direction.

Basham 7/10 – Ok and a few good runs forward. Set up a chance in the first half but then he seemed to not go forward as much as the game went on. Lost it a few times in key areas but always gets back in and made some good recovery tackles too. He had one run and cross second half but they kind of pinned him back as they were such a threat on the break of course and coming the other way with pace and running.

Robinson 6/10 – Did ok in general play but he gave away too many daft fouls and lost his man a few times and, on the goal, crucially he was not switched on at all. He also missed a good chance at the other end although it maybe just hit him. He is steady but he is a huge downgrade from O’Connell as he lacks the aggression and forward play also. I would be concerned he was playing regularly at this level. The big moment when he needed to defend and he did not do it. May seem harsh but that mistake cost us the game.

Ampadu 6.5/10 – Up and down. Some good things on the ball where he came out with the ball but not sure he is a centre back – he might be better in midfield really. He showed he switches off too much and lost his man a few times. He needs to switch on more. I thought he was nice and composed on the ball though and technically he is decent. He also is a good athlete and quite quick. Definitely a player in there but may be more suited to playing further up the field. Learning on the job at the top level as a centre back worries me.

Osborn 6.5/10 – Started the game badly but then got better as it went on and I thought it was a bit mixed. Some decent bits of play and never hid but also gave it away a few times or got outmuscled a few times. His final ball was good for the Lundstram chance but then he put in some poor crosses too when well placed. Decent player but we really need Fleck back to his best but no problems with him been given a chance today. He is a lad who gives his all and is technically quite good actually and showed that with some of his passes/crosses. He won’t run away from too many people though or be much of a goal threat.

Lundstram 6/10 - Better than the other night and neat and tidy early on and involved in some ok moves and had the one decent effort just wide and then really had to score. He is a good finisher and I would have backed him to net here. After this he seemed to regress. Got another booking and the game became a bit ragged and he was not influential as they took control of midfield for a spell. Could see why he came off. Has to score the chance he had and that is twice he has missed from big positions when he scores these two our season could be different.

Berge 6/10 – Not enough for me. He had two good runs and one where he ran out of the half and committed men and surged forward and led to a chance for Osborn. Did this again but took too long but large part of the game I forgot he was playing and for the deepest midfielder I also thought they had a lot of chances and got through us and were 3 on 3 a lot too. He has to be more forceful and more assertive with it and impose himself more. On the winner, maybe he got fouled but it was a bit soft and he needs to be stronger. He also needs to get back and get in the game after he loses it but just kind of jogged back. I was infuriated by his reaction to the tackle more than any foul there may have been. He needed to be more aggressive and then run back and affect the danger. He did neither. There is so much potential but he is a bit infuriating when we can see what he can do.

McGoldrick 6/10 – Started the game ok and was involved early on with neat flicks and build up and nearly assisted to Lundstram but then I felt he faded badly and 2nd half he was not involved at all. When he had it, he took too long to do things. I am not sure he is influencing games anywhere near enough like he used to and Chelsea apart I do feel that his influence has started too decline. I still feel we need two new strikers with pace and power. We do not see enough of the ball in the middle or up top for him to be as effective anymore and as much as I love him, starting to see why he has played most of his career at Championship level (and that is when he was younger) as he lacks pace and scoring threat at the very top level – I may get panned for this. I thought him and Burke did ok but neither have looked like scoring so far this season. Maybe it is creativity but sometimes strikers have to create something out of nothing too.

Burke 7/10 – Decent again and our best attacker. Got in good areas and showed his pace and running. A few times he got behind the and led to half chances. He maybe made poor decisions when he got in a few times but at least he got there and got them running towards their own goal. I would have left him on and felt we looked less threatening after the changes. He is now our best attacker which is a credit to him but a slight on what we have at the club in this area.

Subs –

Norwood – Thought he did ok when he came on and was neat and tidy but not sure he is right hand side and not sure he was going to change the flow of the game. Suppose he was trying to ensure we kept it better but its kind of become a bit like basketball (not his fault and he could not get on it).

Sharp - Showed yet again he is not quick or mobile enough at this level. He gives it away too much and not sure he is much of a goal threat. Had one good chance but took too long and it was blocked. He had brought this down really well but he takes too long to do things.

McBurnie – Slows things down for me like Sharp. He hustles and bustles but lacks quality. The fact he is now not starting is a concern for us as he was meant to be the main man but started the season poorly and then taken out of the team. Should do better with the headed chance and was a bit meek and needs to power those in. For all those saying he does well in the air, not sure we have seen much of him aerially to worry teams like we did when he started with a great goal v Leicester (outside of Chelsea goal).

Manager Wilder 6/10 – Changed the team and the players that came in did ok, not amazing but did ok but we once again were found lacking at the key areas. We were also quite open I felt which led to chances to us and chances to them. At the moment he is on his worst run as a United manager and we will wonder where the next point is coming from. Not liking he is throwing in excuses too much at the moment. To be fair he did say it is about taking chances and we are not doing that. He summed it up that we are not good enough at the two key ends. He seems a bit stuck for ideas at the moment. He has changed the personnel today and we still lost and seems to be crying out for help but it is concerning that he has spent close to 50 million on Freeman, McBurnie, Robinson, Lowe and Bogle and none are starting and two have left the club. Berge has done ok but most of the signings we have made have not made the impact the board would have hoped (the two Derby lads albeit newcomers of course but not starting). Maybe they are concerned that giving him another 20 million for the Arsneal lad or Brewster may be a financial outlay too much – granted if we don’t sign a striker we could go down of course – it is a quandary but for all those saying they have to give him money or he can’t move us forward it’s not like he has had not had any – as I say 50 million alone which is as much as half a dozen have spent maybe more at this level in the last 12 months.

However, the likes of Newcastle and Villa have spent big money on a striker and the likes of Wilson is scoring goals to net them points. The positive is he could lose 10 games and no one would question his position. His stock last season was super high but now no clubs would be looking at him either! So, it’s not all bad!

Leeds – Been a very good start with an honourable defeat at the champions and now two straight wins against teams they would want to finish above of course. Today they kept a clean sheet but had the keeper to thank. They showed their attacking threat getting forward and throwing bodies forward. They have created tons of chances at both Anfield and here and do have an adventurous approach. People may say the praise is nauseating but they deserve it. We got lots of praise last season for an attacking approach and they are doing the same. They did not sit back at all today and went for it. They could have scored 2 or 3 but could have conceded 2 or 3. They found the quality at the two ends with the keeper and then the cross and header. Fair play to them. Not sure they were any better than us but they won’t care. It was another decent performance and for an away side quite cavalier and entertaining yet they kept a clean sheet so will be delighted.

I actually like Bielsa. Clearly a character and a manager who has had a lot of success all over. He has never stayed at a club for a long time though and wonder if say in a season whether players may start to tune out to his methods. Suppose we have done well with Wilder for so long song but it is so intense how Bielsa expects them to play and will be interesting if they ca maintain it long term. I think they will stay up no problems and may finish just below mid-way I think as like us last year, the energy, enthusiasm, pressing and the way they are attacking teams will see them get results. They will score more than we did last season but concede a lot more. Personnel wise though I look at them and not sure they are much better than us really even individually. They have some flair though in Costa, Hernandez and Harrison where they can make things happen. Maybe that is why they are better than us. Defensively though even with additions not sure that I would swap many individually or collectively.

Opponent Man of the Match – Toss up between the keeper and Harrison. The keeper made 2 great saves but had little to do outside of this but they were fantastic saves. Harrison was excellent. Always a threat and then made the goal. Bamford may be criticised a lot but had managed to keep his place and sadly is better than any of our forwards probably. Phillips is a decent, mobile midfielder who played more at the back today but showed his athleticism and his good delivery from set plays too. Leeds have a lot of honest club man types like Ayling, Cooper and Dallas who are much like the likes of Stevens, Basham etc.

Opponent Weak link – Roberts was really poor and rightly taken off. Not sure Rodrigo was much better and he was sacrificed at the end too which is always embarrassing whatever the circumstances. Cooper I think can be got at and Burke caused him a few issues but generally I felt they defended ok and only once or twice did we get properly behind them.

Referee/Officials/VAR – I thought Tierney was poor. He let some things go that seemed fouls (Basham pushed and then Ayling the same straight after) and then little stuff he penalised. The Baldock booking was plain wrong. I half expected him to give him a second yellow for the foul on the keeper. The Berge one could have been a foul but they seem to be letting things go now unless they are really clear and obvious fouls and the fact it was a body of legs and a lot happened after this meant VAR did not even seem to look at it. I think if they had disallowed that against us for such an offence, I would not have been happy and if the ref decides its not a foul and the contact was minimal no major issues with this. We can’t have it both ways as we want refs to decide games and at the time, I never thought it was a foul. Wilder says it was. You could argue it but I think also that a lot happened after this.

Going back to Tierney, I just thought for a good game and not that many bad tackles, I noticed the ref way too much. He is someone that seems to want to be noticed way too much.

Thanks DB, a fair report overall.
I did think you were a bit harsh on Ampadu, I thought he was our best player.
I'm liking the look of Burke, he is quick with a good "footballing" brain
I think our problem is that we lack that little bit of quality all over the pitch and that's going to take several transfer windows to rectify.
Hopefully Wilder will sort it and at least keep us up in order that we can keep progressing,
Last thing we need is to be back where we started - the Championship.
The idea that relegation would be good for us (aka Norwich) is plain daft, we need to stay in the Prem'
I have a feeling we will beat Arsenal.

UTB

Casing point for the midfield lack of control at any point in the game - 570 passes to 325 is a huge disparity for a home team. I think Berge, Osborn and Lundstram were all ok. Not sure any of them were outstanding though as they did not see enough of the ball or do enough with it. It was all a bit basketball and whilst that is good to watch our attack is not going to outscore teams. They had more shots and more on target. A draw was a fair result to the naked eye but Bielsa and Leeds fans will point to that below also.

One big chance either side - Dallas and Lundstram. Their keeper made two great saves. Ours made maybe 4 or 5 expected and 1 good one.

View attachment 93170

These stats show that we don't play the ball from the back through the midfield anymore. I'm really not sure why we stopped at some point last season but we did. It's not a reflection on Berge in my opinion.

The number of times Ampadu came and asked for the ball from Ramsdale only to be waved away was criminal.

If Leeds press high then there are gaps to be found, ask Fulham and Liverpool. We need to have more confidence in our players to work it out from the back.

Personally I can't see how on earth Wilder keeps getting these 6,5-sky-is the-limit -evaluations from DB. Players get the stick, mostly properly so, sometimes scroring as low as 3,5... (!) Wilder just had "the best ever transfer window", and serves us this sh*te. Yet he seems to be untouchable. Well, I do kind of get where that stems from, but definitely don't agree. Wilder's management record this season is 1/10.

He made one great tun that led to the Osborn chance. He another 2 runs where he ran with it but took forever to make a decision and they got back. Apart from that not sure he influened the game. For the pivot in midfied they had at least 8 or 9 unopposed shots on goal from the edge of the box and felt once again the defence was left badly exposed much of the game and we looked a bit open. I think he has fantastic potential but is playing within himself. That one run showed what he can do. His dithering at the end, foul or no foul cost us the game too.

What did he actually do in terms of creating any clear chances, shots on goal or protecting the defence? He was ok but nothing more and did not influence the game enough.

People ought to take off the red and white tinted spectacles when it comes to Sander. He completely hid first half. I lost count the number of times our players were crying out for the pivot midfielder to show for the pass but instead Berge ran behind a Leeds player every time and our ball carrier possession under pressure.

Once Norwood came on, Berge moved to RCM and he had no choice but to be more involved with the play as our attacking patterns are down the wings, especially the right wing.

We have a major problem when our main technical ball carrier, who is head and shoulders (literally!) above any one else in the team, doesn't constantly show for the ball. At least give Norwood his dues, he never shies away from this responsibility, despite his failings.

On the goal, notice how Leeds press. Reminded me of three hyenas bringing down a rhino. But could the rhino's mates do a bit more to help out?

1. I think it's a free kick. But maybe Sharp is blocking the ref's view. Osborn has made a forward run. Norwood is central.

2. Berge has managed to get goalside, but Sharp is not filling in for the lost Osborn, and Norwood is still walking around centrally. We're not exactly hyenas.

3. Osborn is sprinting back, while Norwood is now standing still centrally

4. Norwood is now slow-jogging outside the box.
What's gone on here with Norwood his defensive stats last year upto lockdown were really good???
He was a second half sub yesterday so surely should have had some energy. Noticed this on a couple of goals against post lockdown where he gave up tracking back on goals (Newcastle away was maybe one?)
Come on Ollie, team captain?!

Good analysis Bergen. The last picture confirms to me that Robinsons lack of height was the reason for the goal. They targetted him on a number of occasions throughout the game but Bamford didn't capitalise on it as he's not particularly prolific in the air. The fact he admitted the ball hit his nose just confirms this and typical of our luck at the moment. A 6 foot 2 robust Egan or JOC wins that header every day of the week and explains why CW is looking for a replacement.

Having said all that Baldock should have been much closer to Harrison than he was.

Robinson loses track of Bamford who is able to time his leap well. I'm not sure an extra foot would have helped Robinson in that particular situation, he's just not in the right spot to attack the ball, nor challenge Bamford. We're in a bad situation as a team though, it's not just Robinson who makes a mistake.

I agree with your general point though, we have struggled aerially and need to keep that in mind as we look for new signings.

1601310304415.png

Personally I can't see how on earth Wilder keeps getting these 6,5-sky-is the-limit -evaluations from DB. Players get the stick, mostly properly so, sometimes scroring as low as 3,5... (!) Wilder just had "the best ever transfer window", and serves us this sh*te. Yet he seems to be untouchable. Well, I do kind of get where that stems from, but definitely don't agree. Wilder's management record this season is 1/10.

Sorry mate, but there is too much ground bait being chucked in by all the new anglers.

I think all the fat bastard fish are full, so resting on the bottom for a while.

Maybe try another spot further up the bank?

A lot of discussion around the Norwood/Berge dilemma, and the fact we need more creativity in midfield. The old formation with Fleck in the attacking role solves both these problems for me, it's been crying out for it for a while now and surely has to be worth at least trying it.

A lot of discussion around the Norwood/Berge dilemma, and the fact we need more creativity in midfield. The old formation with Fleck in the attacking role solves both these problems for me, it's been crying out for it for a while now and surely has to be worth at least trying it.
As much as I like Osborn I think the best three that we can field is Fleck - Berge - Lunny at the moment. That gives us an almost perfect balance. Whether we can get them all playing well at the same time is a different matter.

He's never had pace though. Its odd he's not playing at the moment going from captain and main man to out of the team. Also odd we signed him to a new contract. What his future is here if Berge is now the holding midfielder I am not sure? I think we are a better player with him in the team bit of course Berge will play. If Norwood is to play then we will have to change the formation/shape or Norwood may even be moved on like he was with other clubs or is that too soon to be thinking like that?
All opinions but all the Leeds fans that have offered their opinions to me (loads of them of course) have said they thought Berge was outstanding.

All opinions but all the Leeds fans that have offered their opinions to me (loads of them of course) have said they thought Berge was outstanding.
Maybe because they also see it from a more neutral perspective of only noticing the good stuff without paying attention to when he’s not quite doing what we demand of a typical Sheffield United player? He looks like he’s going to be great, but he needs to be more forceful, i.e. get more involved, and work a bit harder out of possession.

Berge was head and shoulders our best player today. I'm genuinely baffled how anyone can not see that.

Sander is pure quality - we could do with 1 or 2 more at his level to be honest. If we had that, we'd be talking Euro qualification not just staying up. Appreciate him whilst he's here, he's destined for big things.

Also disagree with you Deadbat, that was a very good midfield performance, with a lot of hard work but also some real class on the ball.. I think you're expecting a little too much from him in terms of setting up chances from that position, especially considering how well Leeds press.

Norwood played centrally when he came on, with Berge taking Lundstram's position. Norwood's running worries me. Even today as a sub, he looks slower, just no energy in his legs, not any sort of pace that enables him to chase or get close to opponents.

This x1000. There is a conundrum with Norwood in that he is clearly a wonderful footballer but not a natural athlete. What should we value more, how can we make up for his physical deficit? Sander from that position can cover 50 yards in seconds, its frightening. That's what Wilder wanted, there's a clear ploy this year to drive more centrally (Ampadu can step out a la Harry Maguire, and Oli Burke is rapid and powerful through the middle). How do we preserve everything we've been good at but allow the above to integrate with that and make us better? That's the question.

Back
Top Bottom