Billy’s Sharpener - Sheffield Pale Ale

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As per post #3, Billy's Sharpener was on in the Railway on Stoke beamback day, and was extremely palatable :p

Livers all recovered?

Marvellous.

The Crosspool Ale Makers Society have brewed a beer to raise money for the LJS Foundation.

Details below...

I like the name for the Blades themed beer, "Billy" and "Sharpener" have an obvious link. But couldn't they have come up with something better for the Owls themed beer? " Bruce's HappyNiceTime"? eh? There's no obvious link there in the name and I don't think that sums up their season, or even the part season under Bruce. "Bruce's Revival" would have been far more appropriate because that's effectively what happened. He gave them the kiss of life didn't he? There is also a historical link there between "Bruce" and "revival", as in "Robert the Bruce".

Oh well... too late now! They should have asked me sooner.

Hope it tastes good?

Abbeydale Brewery .
View attachment 53907
Rename as Delusion for the "other lot".

Halve the ABV, double the price.

No offence to Abbeydale's very enjoyable beers.

If you ever want to see a massive range of beers, most of which collide around the same percentage strength, and are much of a muchness, then Abbeydale Brewery is the one to look out for. I think the majority of their beers are disappointing tbh - and very much alike. On occasions when I've been in the Rising Sun I've scanned the whole length of the bar and almost everything is around 4% and very similar. The exceptions are "Absolution" which is over 5% and "Voyager" which is over 6%. (Of these two, Absolution has a more palatable sweeter taste - it is very similar to Kelham Island's "Pale Rider", which was THE beer to be had in Sheffield when the real ale scene first got under way. Voyager is quite a bitter, metallic aftertaste to it). Beers like "Deception" and "Moonshine" are just awful, bland beers. Occasionally the Rising Sun will get a flavoursome guest, like the ones from Revolution brewery, but they've got a bit of a love in with Acorn brewery of Barnsley - and their beer is even worse!

There are some very good, inventive, beers out there nowadays - I'm afraid Abbeydale isn't at the leading edge anymore - if indeed it ever was.

If you ever want to see a massive range of beers, most of which collide around the same percentage strength, and are much of a muchness, then Abbeydale Brewery is the one to look out for. I think the majority of their beers are disappointing tbh - and very much alike. On occasions when I've been in the Rising Sun I've scanned the whole length of the bar and almost everything is around 4% and very similar. The exceptions are "Absolution" which is over 5% and "Voyager" which is over 6%. (Of these two, Absolution has a more palatable sweeter taste - it is very similar to Kelham Island's "Pale Rider", which was THE beer to be had in Sheffield when the real ale scene first got under way. Voyager is quite a bitter, metallic aftertaste to it). Beers like "Deception" and "Moonshine" are just awful, bland beers. Occasionally the Rising Sun will get a flavoursome guest, like the ones from Revolution brewery, but they've got a bit of a love in with Acorn brewery of Barnsley - and their beer is even worse!

There are some very good, inventive, beers out there nowadays - I'm afraid Abbeydale isn't at the leading edge anymore - if indeed it ever was.
fascinating.. umm .. am i the only one who doesn’t have a clue what you’re all talking about? :D

If you ever want to see a massive range of beers, most of which collide around the same percentage strength, and are much of a muchness, then Abbeydale Brewery is the one to look out for.

One thing local breweries have failed to do is produce an outstanding stout or bitter. You can have your pick of 4% IPAs, fruity over-hopped things or now even sours (because you can add any old chemical flavour to make something apparently drinkable) but there’s nothing really for those of us who prefer something a bit darker.

Think Titanic Plum Porter, Bristol Milk Stout, Saltaire’s Triple Chocoholic or Sam Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout. Mmmmmm....

Think Titanic Plum Porter, Bristol Milk Stout, Saltaire’s Triple Chocoholic or Sam Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout. Mmmmmm....

The fact we had Chris Porter with is for 3 and a bit seasons and not one local brewery saw an opportunity here remains a real missed opportunity.

Not sure if it’s limited edition but I saw a month or two ago that Northern Monk do a Henderson’s Relish Bloody Mary Porter. Haven’t tried it, but was intrigued.

A trifle harsh I feel, cast your mind back to the dark days of the 70’s & 80’s the choice in Sheffield was limited to 5/6 volume brewed beers & a raft of tasteless homogeneous lagers.

The demise of the multi national brewing conglomerates has been to the advantage of smaller independent regional brewers of which there are a dozen or so in Sheffield.

With this comes a plethora of options & choice for the consumer, Abbeydale, Kelham Island, Exit 33 to name just a few brew a multitude of different & in many cases seasonal brews.

The Sheffield beer drinking scene is a much more varied & inviting proposition than ever before with a variety of interesting & appealing venues in which to enjoy the product - I would suggest if you search you will be pleasantly surprised what’s on offer.

UTB

Is there a cottage industry for making up stupid names for gnat's piss beers? Most taste like fermented gopher droppings. Bring back original Wards, although I really enjoy John Smiths.
ps did you know some football fans actually drink wine. Loadda fucking fairies if you ask me. :tumbleweed:

I like the name for the Blades themed beer, "Billy" and "Sharpener" have an obvious link. But couldn't they have come up with something better for the Owls themed beer? " Bruce's HappyNiceTime"? eh? There's no obvious link there in the name and I don't think that sums up their season, or even the part season under Bruce. "Bruce's Revival" would have been far more appropriate because that's effectively what happened. He gave them the kiss of life didn't he? There is also a historical link there between "Bruce" and "revival", as in "Robert the Bruce".

Oh well... too late now! They should have asked me sooner.

Hope it tastes good?

There is a reason for the Bruce beer name.......

One thing local breweries have failed to do is produce an outstanding stout or bitter. You can have your pick of 4% IPAs, fruity over-hopped things or now even sours (because you can add any old chemical flavour to make something apparently drinkable) but there’s nothing really for those of us who prefer something a bit darker.

Gun Brewery Milk Stout, Papa Jangles Voodoo Stout, both excellent.

Is there a cottage industry for making up stupid names for gnat's piss beers? Most taste like fermented gopher droppings. Bring back original Wards, although I really enjoy John Smiths.
ps did you know some football fans actually drink wine. Loadda fucking fairies if you ask me. :tumbleweed:

It can only be made in Sheffield. The other companies that bought the recipe (Vaux in the North East and Jennings in Cumbria) make nice beers but it will never taste like Wards because of the water used.

It can only be made in Sheffield. The other companies that bought the recipe (Vaux in the North East and Jennings in Cumbria) make nice beers but it will never taste like Wards because of the water used.
Remember when Vaux tried bringing it back .. Tasted awful

Back
Top Bottom