Billy’s Sharpener - Sheffield Pale Ale

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

One thing local breweries have failed to do is produce an outstanding stout or bitter. You can have your pick of 4% IPAs, fruity over-hopped things or now even sours (because you can add any old chemical flavour to make something apparently drinkable) but there’s nothing really for those of us who prefer something a bit darker.

Think Titanic Plum Porter, Bristol Milk Stout, Saltaire’s Triple Chocoholic or Sam Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout. Mmmmmm....

Totally agree. On a crawl today and started in The Tap. All flowery IPAs, much of a muchness but thank fuck there was one Porter from Hawkshead that was top banana!

Not sure if it’s limited edition but I saw a month or two ago that Northern Monk do a Henderson’s Relish Bloody Mary Porter. Haven’t tried it, but was intrigued.

Yes, a limited edition and sold out within a couple of days in beer shops when it was first introduced, although perhaps places have restocked since. I'm a fan - the Hendos taste is quite subtle and comes through at the end as a slightly spicy kick. Nice with a sandwich. It was on sale at Brewdog in town last month but I'm not sure if it's still on.

Gun Brewery Milk Stout, Papa Jangles Voodoo Stout, both excellent.

I shall keep an eye out for them.

A traitor to the real ale cause, I tend to switch to lager when it's warmer weather (i.e. outside peak stout season) - serve it cold enough and you can't taste much anyway.

Not that I hazard it's a term of reference many on here will be familiar with, but some of the IPAs have the same after-taste as nail varnish remover (when you haven't quite washed it off your hands properly, I'm not quite desperate enough to sup the stuff.)

I shall keep an eye out for them.

A traitor to the real ale cause, I tend to switch to lager when it's warmer weather (i.e. outside peak stout season) - serve it cold enough and you can't taste much anyway.

Not that I hazard it's a term of reference many on here will be familiar with, but some of the IPAs have the same after-taste as nail varnish remover (when you haven't quite washed it off your hands properly, I'm not quite desperate enough to sup the stuff.)

Beer Engine had a decent stout on, the last few times I went in, trying to think of the name of it.

Eccy Road Ale Club and The Itchy Pig always have a stout or porter on.

One thing local breweries have failed to do is produce an outstanding stout or bitter. You can have your pick of 4% IPAs, fruity over-hopped things or now even sours (because you can add any old chemical flavour to make something apparently drinkable) but there’s nothing really for those of us who prefer something a bit darker.

Think Titanic Plum Porter, Bristol Milk Stout, Saltaire’s Triple Chocoholic or Sam Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout. Mmmmmm....
Chantry do an excellent stout

Is there a cottage industry for making up stupid names for gnat's piss beers? Most taste like fermented gopher droppings. Bring back original Wards, although I really enjoy John Smiths.
ps did you know some football fans actually drink wine. Loadda fucking fairies if you ask me. :tumbleweed:
I suspect that real ale isn’t perhaps going to be enjoyed by someone who likes filtered, pasteurised, nitrogenated “beer” that is John Smiths Smooth at a mighty 3.6% ABV, aka Draught Headache. Awful stuff.

A trifle harsh I feel, cast your mind back to the dark days of the 70’s & 80’s the choice in Sheffield was limited to 5/6 volume brewed beers & a raft of tasteless homogeneous lagers.

The demise of the multi national brewing conglomerates has been to the advantage of smaller independent regional brewers of which there are a dozen or so in Sheffield.

With this comes a plethora of options & choice for the consumer, Abbeydale, Kelham Island, Exit 33 to name just a few brew a multitude of different & in many cases seasonal brews.

The Sheffield beer drinking scene is a much more varied & inviting proposition than ever before with a variety of interesting & appealing venues in which to enjoy the product - I would suggest if you search you will be pleasantly surprised what’s on offer.

UTB
Wards...! The taste and smell was reminiscent of a thirty year old hearth rug but thankfully
after 3 or 4 your sense of smell and taste just gave up.

I suspect that real ale isn’t perhaps going to be enjoyed by someone who likes filtered, pasteurised, nitrogenated “beer” that is John Smiths Smooth at a mighty 3.6% ABV, aka Draught Headache. Awful stuff.

Each to his or her own but its noticeable to me that pubs with the t bar taps selling John Smith's, Carling and such are nearly always empty or have closed.

The pubs with hand pulled seem to be thriving.

I had a raspberry ripple stout in the Sheaf View last week. No idea who makes it, but it was good stuff. Not a beer for sessions, but then I’m incapable of that anyway. :)

The fact we had Chris Porter with is for 3 and a bit seasons and not one local brewery saw an opportunity here remains a real missed opportunity.

Not sure if it’s limited edition but I saw a month or two ago that Northern Monk do a Henderson’s Relish Bloody Mary Porter. Haven’t tried it, but was intrigued.

It's quite nice, a bit spicy aswell! Could only have a 1/2 or 1/3 though.

Acorn Gorlovka. Barnsley's take on Imperial stout. 6%. It's actually rather good, and unlike some Imperial stouts you can have more than a pint and not fall over!!

A trifle harsh I feel, cast your mind back to the dark days of the 70’s & 80’s the choice in Sheffield was limited to 5/6 volume brewed beers & a raft of tasteless homogeneous lagers.

The demise of the multi national brewing conglomerates has been to the advantage of smaller independent regional brewers of which there are a dozen or so in Sheffield.

With this comes a plethora of options & choice for the consumer, Abbeydale, Kelham Island, Exit 33 to name just a few brew a multitude of different & in many cases seasonal brews.

The Sheffield beer drinking scene is a much more varied & inviting proposition than ever before with a variety of interesting & appealing venues in which to enjoy the product - I would suggest if you search you will be pleasantly surprised what’s on offer.

UTB
Totally agree, have a like!!!!

Is there a cottage industry for making up stupid names for gnat's piss beers? Most taste like fermented gopher droppings. Bring back original Wards, although I really enjoy John Smiths.
ps did you know some football fans actually drink wine. Loadda fucking fairies if you ask me. :tumbleweed:
If you really enjoy John Smiths I'm really sad for you. I've never tasted fermented gopher droppings, but I used to drink Wards now and again - it had a distinctive taste, if you could get past it smelling like vomit! What you would call gnats piss modern beers are usually quite a lot stronger than your sub-4% Smiths, and they taste of something other than the arse end of the 70's. If you want to drink ale made in Tadcaster, at least drink Sam Smiths!!

Back
Top Bottom