Berge - The New Coutts?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Superbladesman7

Reaction score
So this struck me yesterday, even in the first few games pre and post lockdown when most would have probably said he wasn’t that impressive in his performances/didn’t do much, I still felt you could see his technical ability.

Remind anyone of Coutts pre Wilder? Ability was clear to see just wasn’t doing much.

Now that Berge seems to be settling I think he could be that guy for us long-term given Wilder also admitted he would be moved to his natural CDM role in future.

Keep at it Sander!

“Heeeeeeeeeeeee’s Norweigan!”

When he signed I had this conversation with a fellow Blade. There have been a couple of occasions where he has displayed touches that had made us draw comparison. It is about the ease which he moves around and travels with the ball. The move that brought about the McB goal with Berge's control by the goal line and creation of space was also reminiscent. His build is more like Kevin McD than Coutts.
Fingers crossed that these recent matches are just the start of a real rise to the challenge.

I would say that Berge possesses the most natural talent in the squad

A little more stamina, a little more understanding of the Premier League and what’s expected of him in this league and in his position and we have potentially a top, top player.

Not there yet, not by a fair margin, but headed that way.

He’s the sort of player you could build a team around imo

I would say that Berge possesses the most natural talent in the squad

A little more stamina, a little more understanding of the Premier League and what’s expected of him in this league and in his position and we have potentially a top, top player.

Not there yet, not by a fair margin, but headed that way.

He’s the sort of player you could build a team around imo

I think most games you see is against sides with players with far better ability on the ball than what we have. Berge is the start of the recruitment to get us to that level of ability.

Couuuuuuuuuuuuuuuts

I can understand the comparison, very classy player

Berge seems like he can be a great player. He just needs to add more determination to his game.

I reckon, or I'm hoping he will be our DeBruyne

So this struck me yesterday, even in the first few games pre and post lockdown when most would have probably said he wasn’t that impressive in his performances/didn’t do much, I still felt you could see his technical ability.

Remind anyone of Coutts pre Wilder? Ability was clear to see just wasn’t doing much.

Now that Berge seems to be settling I think he could be that guy for us long-term given Wilder also admitted he would be moved to his natural CDM role in future.

Keep at it Sander!

Funnily enough I made the same comparison at half-time at Reading.

Berge might not ping it as much as Norwood or in quite the same way (in fact his one attempt to do so flew into touch), but he’s defensively made a lot of tackles/interceptions and has probably been more Coutts-like (2016-17 model) than Norwood, but with the ability to run with the ball.

That was admittedly re: Berge in the deep-lying role. I don’t think Coutts would have coped with the demands of the RCM role in the current set-up though – the wider we played him the less comfortable he looked prior to Wilder.

Well if he's the new Coutts it'd better not be the one playing for Fleetwood today as he hasn't had a kick in the first half

I have liked Berge since he first pulled on a United shirt. His skills were apparent even back then. He will have had the benefit of Wilders preferred high tempo training style, to bring him up to speed with the EPL English game. Could he have developed his languid skills and adapted any quicker at another top club?
His reading of the game, his forward thinking ability, and his height, combined with deceptive pace, will get even better with every game he plays.
Remember most of his early games will be against opposition players and styles he has not previously encountered.
Playing at this level every three or four days will be a drain on all our players, including Berge.
Selection for the Burnley game will expose him to another style, compared to his last two games.
I hope he starts and proves up to it.

He doesn’t have a first touch that’s quite as good as Coutts i don’t think (it’s still brilliant) but he’s just a unit. No one is going to be knocking him off it.

Coutts’ first touch took him away from players. Berge’s stays right to him because he has the strength.

Quite similar other than that though.

Remind anyone of Coutts pre Wilder?
Come on our kid, get up to speed

He doesn’t have a first touch that’s quite as good as Coutts i don’t think (it’s still brilliant) but he’s just a unit. No one is going to be knocking him off it.

Coutts’ first touch took him away from players. Berge’s stays right to him because he has the strength.

Quite similar other than that though.

Agree...however I see the similarities being that during their early matches at the club you could see the high quality in both Coutts and Berge
but playing in our team they were underwhelming at best and sometimes poor.

I‘d almost written off Coutts as being a “nice player with undoubted quality“ but just not the right fit for our club.
Then Wilder comes and sets up a style and tactics making Coutts look like Inniesta.

So even though Berge has been underwhelming I learnt my lesson and didn’t right him off.
He was decent against Arsenal but against Spurs was his best game to date....think he’s going to be a real asset for us.

Loved his goal. One touch and he creates space, the next touch and he's scored! As for McB's goal, deft footwork saw him evade hopeless Spur's challenges and then a killer pass and it's in the net. Great talent and the more the SB settles into his role the more we'll see our record signing reveal sublime skills that make the Blades an even more attractive side to watch.

Keep at it Sander!

I see you are one of the football prophets on here? That's good to know because a week ago most folks on here said he was shite. I can tell you what I said, I said, "it's too early to judge".

And I can tell you what I'm saying now...

"It's still too early to judge".

The only comparison with Coutts I've seen so far is that most fans thought he was shite to begin with but some may be starting to change their minds a bit, based on just 2 games, where he has played much better. I think we should perhaps take a longer term view than that. When he gets a regular start and begins to impose himself on the game, bossing it from midfield, over not just 2 matches, but half a season or more, then I think we'll be in a better position to judge him.

But then again, I am a football prophet. :cool:

Yes it’s L1.

Yes we have moved on.

But that was a Vintage PC performance that half. Centric to everything and driving his team forward.

A joy to behold.

UTB.
Coutts owned the midfield first half

Back
Top Bottom