CONFIRMED Ben Osborn

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Burnley took the same approach, got relegated and were immediately promoted back. They used the second wave of PL money for 'bigger' signings and are now reaping the rewards of clever, prudent planning by a top manager.

Agreed, I see lots of parallels too. But believe wilder plays a more exciting brand of football.

if Say mousset pays off along with one or two more we have a very strong spine to build from in the PL.

If we got down we either have a squad a lot stronger than before as well as one or two assets that could be sold if required

I think the posters who perpetuated that bullshit should apologise publicly.

The 20 million figure, kind of come from Wilder himself.
I watched a video, will still probably be there on the SUFC YouTube channel

His words after being asked what his budget will be was ‘although I’ve NOT spoken to the bosses yet I would imagine it will be in the same ball park as the figure recently reported as being spent by Norwich City. So I’ve given the owners a list of my preferred targets based on that figure”.

A few days earlier it was reported that Norwich had offered Farke a modest spending budget of 20 million to spend.

The important point from his interview was at that time he didn’t know his budget but he expected it to be 20 to 25 million area.
Looks like the club have seen that 20 mill is unrealistic, so they’ve wisely agreed to loosen the purse strings and back Wilders judgement.

If I remember rightly I’m sure some Blades said “there’s no way we’ll spend 10 million on one player”
And “there’s no way we’ll spend over 20 million in the transfer market”.
If I could be arsed I’d check through the post history to make those extreme negative Blades (or maybe they were Pigfans) look foolish.

Last edited:

His words after being asked what his budget will be was “I’ve heard the budget figure that Norwich have said they’d be spending
And although I’ve NOT spoken to the bosses yet I would imagine it will be in the same ball park
So I’ve already given them a list of my preferred targets”

A few days earlier it was reported that Farke had been given a budget of 20 million to spend.

The important point from his interview was at that time he didn’t know his budget but he expected it to be 20 to 25 million area.
Looks like the club have seen that 20 mill is unrealistic, so they’ve wisely agreed to loosen the purse strings and back Wilders judgement.

Or Wilder knew it's better to let people think the budget is tight.

His words after being asked what his budget will be was “I’ve heard the budget figure that Norwich have said they’d be spending
And although I’ve NOT spoken to the bosses yet I would imagine it will be in the same ball park
So I’ve already given them a list of my preferred targets”

A few days earlier it was reported that Farke had been given a budget of 20 million to spend.

I think Chris might have been shithousing a bit there. I don’t remember him ever saying exactly what his budget was since he joined us, it’s not how he does his business. ‘I don’t know what our budget is but I’ve had a guess and done a list’ doesn’t seem very plausible when you think about it.

Burnley took the same approach, got relegated and were immediately promoted back. They used the second wave of PL money for 'bigger' signings and are now reaping the rewards of clever, prudent planning by a top manager.

The problem is you can’t count on the ‘immediately promoted back’ bit. More fail than succeed, we’ve overcome three only last season. Far better to cling on first time. “Come back stronger” is a myth for the vast majority.

They are in the woods at the moment looking for another stick, to beat the club with.

Obviously the argument will change to "we didn't spend enough".

Tactics. That’s the perpetual stick. Lose 2-0 at the Etihad - he’s got his tactics wrong. Lose 1-0 at Spurs to a late Kane wonder goal - Wilder’s fucked that one up. Get caught on the break - naive tactics. Fail to score - too defensive, should attack more.

The problem is you can’t count on the ‘immediately promoted back’ bit. More fail than succeed, we’ve overcome three only last season. Far better to cling on first time. “Come back stronger” is a myth for the vast majority.
Of course its a risk, but you can prepare yourself as best possible with sensible planning - something I don't think many teams do (ie Fulham, West Brom).

His words after being asked what his budget will be was ‘although I’ve NOT spoken to the bosses yet I would imagine it will be in the same ball park as the figure recently reported as being spent by Norwich City. So I’ve given the owners a list of my preferred targets based on that figure”.

A few days earlier it was reported that Norwich had offered Farke a modest spending budget of 20 million to spend.

If I remember rightly I’m sure some Blades said “there’s no way we’ll spend 10 million on one player”
If I could be arsed I’d check through the post history to make those extreme negative Blades (or maybe they were Pigfans) look foolish.

The only time I've seen him imply a figure was on Goals On Sunday, he said between Cardiff and Fulham, which is £30-£100 million.

I think in the interview you mentioned he was just saying we'll be competing with the Norwich's of the league, as a team without a billionaire owner (Villa) and lower end Prem teams who've built a wedge from maintaining status (Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton), rather than we'll have the same budget as them.

Anyway, I think davidblade is the king of the budget bollocks.

Peddling £20m and then doubling down by saying we'd got no money for transfers at all up front.

Then we signed 23m quid's worth in a fortnight or so, and to be fair, he's held his hands up a bit.

How many of those were ‘established’ clubs who overspent, panicked, sacked their manager, got relegated and sacked their manager again? How many went back up before their parachute payments ran out, as opposed to first time of asking?

Providing we keep Wilder, I’ve every confidence he could get us back in two years, if he has to.

Tactics. That’s the perpetual stick. Lose 2-0 at the Etihad - he’s got his tactics wrong. Lose 1-0 at Spurs to a late Kane wonder goal - Wilder’s fucked that one up. Get caught on the break - naive tactics. Fail to score - too defensive, should attack more.

Gerritinearly. Tactically inept. Lost the dressing-room. Knee-jerks. Bottlers. Noise and Nonsense.

This has been your 2019/20 Shoutbox Preview.

A5426D51-F5E8-406B-9022-CB490F5827F4.jpeg

No expense spared.

Please don’t forget old favourites that have previously been aired, out of his depth and jobs too big for him

How many of those were ‘established’ clubs who overspent, panicked, sacked their manager, got relegated and sacked their manager again? How many went back up before their parachute payments ran out, as opposed to first time of asking?

Providing we keep Wilder, I’ve every confidence he could get us back in two years, if he has to.

Maybe, but my impression is that some think getting relegated is a good strategy. It ain’t...

I said at the time that CW is far too shrewd to tell the world what his budget really is. If everyone thought it was £40/50 mill then his bargaining position is shot and we end up having to pay higher prices!

Think Tufty’s on a frolic of his own here though. Not one of yours this one?...

I'm afraid it is actually. I'll claim it anyway, he's been on every 'possible targets' thread for about the last 3 windows....

I'm afraid it is actually. I'll claim it anyway, he's been on every 'possible targets' thread for about the last 3 windows....

I missed a few editions...

When are you going to sort this McBurnie thing out?

Back
Top Bottom